• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Romulus Trailer Coming Tomorrow

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I like Alien3

Look Whos Talking Now Omg GIF
Amazon Prime Comics GIF by The Boys

Toots

Gold Member
Alien 3 is good. People just don't like the hard to swallow pill of the ending. It's a very nasty movie but I admire Fincher went through with it to the end. All the great British actors as prisoners was a nice disconnect from the American Weaver.
Alien 3 is good for how it was done and how much suits had their way with it, but i think the real neglected child of the franchise is Alien Resurrection, this movie had ambiance and lots of great ideas and was made by a temendously good director, but it seems everyone hates it even though it reached emotional peaks never seen in the franchise, such as this one :

(im joking but also im not)

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Alien 3 is good for how it was done and how much suits had their way with it, but i think the real neglected child of the franchise is Alien Resurrection, this movie had ambiance and lots of great ideas and was made by a temendously good director, but it seems everyone hates it even though it reached emotional peaks never seen in the franchise, such as this one :

Movie justifies its existence with the real basketball shot from Weaver. Wouldn't get that today.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member

Resurrection had good ideas but wasn't shot particularly well IMHO, the end white xeno just looked silly, and tonally wasn't what I wanted. And the idea of corporate weaponization of the xeno has to be done with more care. I think it if had eschewed having a Ripley clone it would have worked better overall. Sigourney is great but I'd like to think 3 was her swan song (even if that film did Hicks and Newt dirty).

A return to the horror roots, without the modern snark that passes as humor these days, SHOULD work. If they are smart about the use of the xenos, can avoid too many glaring "dumb human" elements just to drive the plot forward, and have a rich atmosphere of suspense, tension, and fear, it should do gangbusters. I don't think they really even need a human bad guy/evil corp element, just have all that stuff be beckground and just have a cohesive team that works together but eventually falls apart under the pressure. Writers these days tend to start with SERIOUS conflict between characters right off the bat, usually a toxic boss that sets the lead into war with them from scene 1. But if you go back to Alien, its an organic dissolution of the team and internal betrayal by Ash due to conflicting priorities, or even Aliens with Burke slowly setting himself apart and Gorman not being maliciously bad but rather just incompetent in a way lots of NCOs and enlisted (or any working class, really) can empathize with.

Toots

Gold Member
Movie justifies its existence with the real basketball shot from Weaver. Wouldn't get that today.
I completely forgot about the half court no look dime she throws :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Dominique Pinon's weaponized wheelchair was pretty cool if i remember correctly.
Lots of fun ideas throughout.

white xeno just looked silly,
That's because he was supposed to represent the worst xenomorph of all, the xeno-phobe ;)

More seriously, i understand your complaints about the movie and can only invite you to watch others movies from Jeunet (namely Delicatessen or the city of lost children - starring my all time childhood crush Miette), and it might ease you into the director's style so you better like the tone, which can be pretty weird at first.

p3lnRPM.jpg

Here's Miette in her iconic outfit, and yes it is Ron Perlmann in this French speaking movie :messenger_sunglasses:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yeah, I've seen those films and I appreciate the swing for the fences attempt he made, it got my theater dollars, but ultimately it was just a little too goofy for me.

thefool

I don't understand the point of making an Alien film that simply tries to mimic the original one, I rather re-watch Alien again. The Thing 2011 did the same exact absurdity, why would I have any interest in that?

Also, im not sure why the picture looks so soft. Looks like some digital camera shenanigans but i haven't checked the technical specs.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

That trailer looks good, Ridley Scott was always good at the horror Alien's type of film, it's the action ones he isn't as good at, i'm looking forward to this, going by the trailer.

Trunx81

Oh man, another flick with a "strong female character". They should have made an Alien film like the old ones!
:messenger_kissing_smiling:

The facehugger army looks terrific, they are, for me, the most frightening thing in the whole franchise. Mildly optimistic on this one!

saintjules

After a nearly 7 year wait, I'm a bit disappointed that Romulus will not continue the Covenant storyline.

Wondered what will happen Katherine Daniels and the other David.

wipeout364

I hate this trailer because as a huge Alien fan it gives me hope that the movie will be amazing, but that I know deep inside it will be mediocre like all Alien media outside of Alien isolation.

Brigandier

- Doesn't elaborate
- Doesn't post a source link
- Doesn't spoiler any specific details

Okay. Is it about homoerotic androids like Covenant?

Yeah I know the sources are hardly hot stuff but somehow I believe it as it sounds typically shit and ridiculous just like all Alien films since Aliens

From what I can tell:

Humans find the original Alien floating in space and experiment on it.

David is not in the movie but the black goo is involved.

Known in Alien: Romulus as the Prometheus Strain, the scientists had been experimenting with the black goo as a miracle cure for all diseases.

A Hyperdyne Systems 120-A/2 model android was able to discover and reverse engineer the genetic makeup of the black goo contained within the DNA of the Aliens that had been captive aboard the spacestation.

The android is based on the original Ash and the actors likeliness is being used.

Is any of the above true who knows but if it is it sounds ridiculous.

Last edited:

Yeah I know the sources are hardly hot stuff but somehow I believe it as it sounds typically shit and ridiculous just like all Alien films since Aliens

From what I can tell:

Known in Alien: Romulus as the Prometheus Strain, the scientists had been experimenting with the black goo as a miracle cure for all diseases.

A Hyperdyne Systems 120-A/2 model android was able to discover and reverse engineer the genetic makeup of the black goo contained within the DNA of the Aliens that had been captive aboard the spacestation.

The android is based on the original Ash and the actors likeliness is being used.

maybe we will see characters going to a destroyed hadleys hope looking for clues

Last edited:

Madflavor

How come every Alien sequel and prequel after Aliens always tried to ape off of Alien 1979? Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Hollywood like money? It's just weird to me that Aliens, despite being the most popular and financial successful one, never had a film afterward that tried to mimic it. It's getting to the point where I think we'll spot a unicorn in these movies before we see a Colonial Marine.

Ulysses 31

How come every Alien sequel and prequel after Aliens always tried to ape off of Alien 1979? Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Hollywood like money? It's just weird to me that Aliens, despite being the most popular and financial successful one, never had a film afterward that tried to mimic it. It's getting to the point where I think we'll spot a unicorn in these movies before we see a Colonial Marine.
Resurrection tried something with multiple aliens and a Queen but the creators of that didn't seem in tune what made the first 2 movies great... 👀 👀 👀

Alex11

Well, even Scott forgot what made Alien be, well... Alien. You gotta have the creature be part of the story, you can't have it be some reason for the human elements in the movie.

Even Aliens knew that, it may be an action movie, but it isn't defined by that genre, let's not forget, not a single shot is taken against the alien in 1 hour and some minutes into the movie.
And the alien it's not some target practice at the carnival, it decimates the marines, only at the end, Ripley manages the get the upper hand, but again, respecting the aliens, giving it some intelligence, motivation.

Another thing, neither of the first 2 movies had explanations for the Space Jockeys or how the alien came to be, nobody asked for that, the mystery, atmosphere, charm, whatever, was lost once these were explained.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Another thing, neither of the first 2 movies had explanations for the Space Jockeys or how the alien came to be, nobody asked for that, the mystery, atmosphere, charm, whatever, was lost once these were explained.

Are you trying to say that the xenomorphs being somehow the product of some black goo isn’t as cool as letting your imagination think up their origins?

It’s black goo!

Black goo is the best thing for an origin story.

Everybody loves the black goo!

…Ridley Scott turned into a hack about 20 years ago. About time people accepted that.

John Bilbo

Are you trying to say that the xenomorphs being somehow the product of some black goo isn’t as cool as letting your imagination think up their origins?

It’s black goo!

…Ridley Scott turned into a hack about 20 years ago. About time people accepted that.

The terrifying origins of the xenos.

RagnarokIV

It’s black goo!

Alex11

It’s black goo!

I wouldn't dare, black goo is the real deal, the true antagonist of the Alien universe, it's what the xenomorph needed for it to be truly unique.

Seriously, even if this movie is good, for me the Alien mythos is fucked with the goo.
Sad thing is that I'm gonna be there in the cinema for this, being an Alien fan, so, yeah, I may be a moron and contribute to continuing this thing.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
This series has obviously been in decline for a long time and I thought I was done caring after Covenant, but I saw this trailer in front of GxK yesterday and goddamn it, I'm in. This series started with a horror film and that's where it's best. I think that angle is a good one.

Rat Rage

Why are you hating on the black goo? The black goo itself is very mysterious. Nobody knows its origin. The Engineers are mysterious. Nobody knows their origin either. How are those 2 things combined less mysterious than the Space Jockey? They still leave a lot to imagine.
Well, everybody sure always wondered about what the Space Jockeys and the Aliens were and how they came to be or why the ship was carrying those eggs in the first place. Like I said, the black goo and the Engineers are not fully explained and still mysterious. The creation of the Alien in Covenant is quite interesting to me. It's basically a product of the human race's hubris and attempt at playing god - their unwary cration of sentient artifical intelligence / cyborgs (David) who turns kinda evil and - through a series of unfortunate events - gets the chance to create "something" in return himself. His "ingreadients" are basically the black goo (mysterious dna altering substance, not fully understood by anyone), engineer dna (who themselves are a the peak of biological evolution) and human (imperfect) dna, and David's own fucked up thoughts about what this new lifeform should be. All of that creates something beyond anyone's imagination - something really bad and terrifying. Like I said, the origin of all of this misery is "the human race's hubris and attempt at playing god" - personified in Weyland Yutani who created David. I think it's immensely cool and quite poetic that the Alien (which in the original movies is a force of horror to humans that both, internally and externally, kills them) is actually a product of humanity's own greed, carlessness, naivity and hubris - which has the potential the kill them all. Greed, carlessness, naivity and hubris are exactly the fundamental traits of how the Weyland Yutani Corporation has always been protrait in the first 3 Alien movies. Am I the only one who thinks the whole Prometheus and Covenant origin story is exeptionally brillant origina story for both the Aliens AND the Weyland Corporation once you've actually put some thought into it?

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Why are you hating on the black goo? The black goo itself is very mysterious. Nobody knows its origin. The Engineers are mysterious. Nobody knows their origin either. How are those 2 things combined less mysterious than the Space Jockey? They still leave a lot to imagine.

Well, everybody sure always wondered about what the Space Jockeys and the Aliens were and how they came to be or why the ship was carrying those eggs in the first place. Like I said, the black goo and the Engineers are not fully explained and still mysterious. The creation of the Alien in Covenant is quite interesting to me. It's basically a product of the human race's hubris and attempt at playing god - their unwary cration of sentient artifical intelligence / cyborgs (David) who turns kinda evil and - through a series of unfortunate events - gets the chance to create "something" in return himself. His "ingreadients" are basically the black goo (mysterious dna altering substance, not fully understood by anyone), engineer dna (who themselves are a the peak of biological evolution) and human (imperfect) dna, and David's own fucked up thoughts about what this new lifeform should be. All of that creates something beyond anyone's imagination - something really bad and terrifying. Like I said, the origin of all of this misery is "the human race's hubris and attempt at playing god" - personified in Weyland Yutani who created David. I think it's immensely cool and quite poetic that the Alien (which in the original movies is a force of horror to humans that both, internally and externally, kills them) is actually a product of humanity's own greed, carlessness, naivity and hubris - which has the potential the kill them all. Greed, carlessness, naivity and hubris are exactly the fundamental traits of how the Weyland Yutani Corporation has always been protrait in the first 3 Alien movies. Am I the only one who thinks the whole Prometheus and Covenant origin story is exeptionally brillant origina story for both the Aliens AND the Weyland Corporation once you've actually put some thought into it?
Themes of creation, creations and their creators (the Jockeys, the Aliens, the Androids, humans, God, Charlize Theron and her father) are interesting, and is poignant to think about, I agree. I think the practical execution of Prometheus and Covenant as films is what was disappointing, where the characters, plot, and dialogue aren't super compelling.

clarky

Gold Member
This series has obviously been in decline for a long time and I thought I was done caring after Covenant, but I saw this trailer in front of GxK yesterday and goddamn it, I'm in. This series started with a horror film and that's where it's best. I think that angle is a good one.

The cycle continues. I remember seeing the Covenant trailer thinking, shit this one could actually be good.

The closest they have come to half decent is the first 45 or so minutes of Prometheus, that was actually pretty good, but went down hill very very fast.

I like Alvarez's other work so there is hope yet.

JonSnowball

From what I can tell:

None of that sounds terrible, it just sounds unnecessary and likely as if it was written to appease someone like Ridley Scott from complaining. Leagues above Covenant. Let's hope those aspects are minor elements of the film and it's just a fun Alien romp....but at some point they need to do an actual AVP film inspired by the games. Now that I'd like to see.

Last edited:
Top Bottom