• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alienware Alpha first impressions and benchmarks

So what's the "upgradeability" of these small form-factor PCs like the Alpha? In a couple years or so, am I going to be able to do some work on it, or will I be forced to buy a new unit to keep up?

So what's the "upgradeability" of these small form-factor PCs like the Alpha? In a couple years or so, am I going to be able to do some work on it, or will I be forced to buy a new unit to keep up?

I'd say that the ram and HDD can easily be upgraded, the CPU is trickier due to the power supply, and the GPU is not upgrade-able.

tim.mbp

Base model is on sale, $50 off for $499, via Ebay seller antonline. Tax applicable in GA and CA and free shipping. No idea how reliable they are. Looks like an Atlanta based computer store.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alienware-A...3-4130T-4GB-DDR3-500GB-HDD-Win8-/301400476132

Also looks like Dell/Alienware are going to be pretty active with support.

https://na.alienwarearena.com/news/alienware-alpha-console-support-page

You can check on planned updates, known issues, as well as suggest features.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just wish there was an option to supplement the HDD with a SSD. If not replace it. Even if they just put in a user accessible second port for a SSD and a tool to transfer the OS/license/optional other stuff to it. It's the reason I always manually pick a folder to put my Steam library in because it means I can move it from drive to drive/location to location whenever I want and never have to redownload anything because I changed machines.

I wonder if there'll be anything happening at CES with some more competing SteamBoxes. I will totally buy one next year when the right one comes along.

I hope this does well enough to get a V2.

I am curious as to why this doesn't have Alienware Graphics Amplifier support, perhaps because it was dev'ed prior to the Alienware 13. But really, this box plus Graphics Amplifier support would be amazing.

Quick update: Installed Origin on the Alpha and fired up Titanfall. I was really impressed with how much nicer it looks and how much faster it seems to run on the Alpha as opposed to the XB1.

I think I am in love with PC gaming. :)

Quick update: Installed Origin on the Alpha and fired up Titanfall. I was really impressed with how much nicer it looks and how much faster it seems to run on the Alpha as opposed to the XB1.

I think I am in love with PC gaming. :)
Have you tried something that requires a keyboard & mouse setup like Diablo?

Thrakier

Why would anyone buy a machine for 600 dollar which can't even play some lastgen games at solid 60fpa with high settings. What a waste of money. Build one yourself for a little bit more money and you are current gen ready....

Have you tried something that requires a keyboard & mouse setup like Diablo?

I played around a bit with it, but as one is isn't comfy with KB/M controls I have generally avoided it. I'm going to fire up some Civ 5 this week though. :)

Why would anyone buy a machine for 600 dollar which can't even play some lastgen games at solid 60fpa with high settings. What a waste of money. Build one yourself for a little bit more money and you are current gen ready....

I can only speak for myself, but I wanted a prebuilt machine that is small enough to travel with and gave me access to PC gaming. I find a great deal of value in not having to spend hours looking for deals on parts, choosing the right ones, and then spending an afternoon putting it all together, installing an OS, and then hoping that it all works.

8 minutes. It took me 8 minutes from plugging it in until I was in Steam. That ease of use is incredibly valuable to someone like me. Best part? Both of us both get what we want out of a PC. You get your more powerful machine, I get an easy living room solution and we both get to play awesome PC games. :)

elohel

The age of the mini-gaming PC has been upon us for a few years now.

But I'm worried a lot of these machines being hyped now will be quickly having problems due to the increased VRAM requirements for games.

Same with gaming laptops.

People already deal with this issue but enthusiasts are the biggest concern but why would an enthusiast purchase a cheaper computer when they can have a better one for more?

Enthusiasts buy enthusiast products the rest get something and stay with it for a long time and deal with that issue by lowering resolutions

The benchmarks speak to this as they are 1080p and lowered settings which to me means that it's meant to be aged to some degree and not cutting edge

Those sacrifices make for a better less cluttered experience to some

WarpathDC

No bad at all for 550. I'll stick with OG PC gaming but this looks much better than some of the other Steam machine type offerings

valouris

The 860M is the one I have in my laptop, along with a quadcore i7 and 8gb of ram, so I'm not terribly impressed by this thing.

The 860M is the one I have in my laptop, along with a quadcore i7 and 8gb of ram, so I'm not terribly impressed by this thing.

And how much did you pay for that laptop? I don't think anyone is saying that this machine is a cutting edge beast in any way.

No bad at all for 550. I'll stick with OG PC gaming but this looks much better than some of the other Steam machine type offerings

Pretty much my thoughts. I have always been too intimidated to build a machine, and this seemed like a fun way to try out PC gaming to see if I would like it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm curious. Since there doesn't seem to be a SSD option for some silly reason (I only want a small one for the OS and select games) how easy would it be to replace the HDD and get the new drive back to working order? I read that they will send you a USB stick with an image of the software on it if you ask. But would that come with an entire image including Windows with the proper license? If so I would buy this almost immediately and get a SSD at the same time.

I just hope they bring out an "Alienware Omega" or something that's larger (this thing is smaller than a PS4, so it's got room to grow) and is running 970/980m GPUs with a beefier processor, more RAM and an SSD option out the gate.

Some of us have zero desire to build one ourselves. I'm 100% confident I would fuck that up.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Some of us have zero desire to build one ourselves. I'm 100% confident I would fuck that up.
Ditto. I just want something out of the box. I also love the size. If it's powerful enough then I don't care. This is for people like me who don't want to bother building a PC, but like the size and price, and don't want a console, but want to play the Steam library they already own on a TV rather than at a desk.

A SSD option would have given my money to them by now. Such a missed opportunity.

Hopefully the next version. Or possibly the option could be added later. And if it is, you better watch out.

I wonder if there'll be anything happening at CES with some more competing SteamBoxes. I will totally buy one next year when the right one comes along.

Valve won't be at CES, but plan a larger presence for GDC. Doesn't mean HW partners won't be at CEs though, but since SteamOS and the controller still aren't ready I think they'll wait when Valve really ready this time.

curious about this as well if it's great out of the box and people are foaming out of the mouth from here i'll definitely dive in if it gets the acceptable approve pass from some people here, i just want something solid enough and ready to go for decent high-end gaming.

but these things wouldn't be good for multiple monitors or streaming games on twitch? just curious

I'm curious. Since there doesn't seem to be a SSD option for some silly reason (I only want a small one for the OS and select games) how easy would it be to replace the HDD and get the new drive back to working order? I read that they will send you a USB stick with an image of the software on it if you ask. But would that come with an entire image including Windows with the proper license? If so I would buy this almost immediately and get a SSD at the same time.

I don't know the definitive answer. There was a topic at the alienware forums concerning an issue that is very similar to this.

http://www.alienwarearena.com/forums/thread/83104/hardware-software/alienware-alpha-obtaining-recovery-media-outside-the-us-1

If it helps, I've downloaded and used Win7 straight from Microsoft Servers, wrote the image on a bootable USB, and installed it onto a laptop. The only thing I needed to access was the BIOS boot screen, and then had to set up the system to boot up using the USB drive to install Win7.

This might work with the Alpha, however I've never seen the BIOs screen for the Alpha yet. I'm wondering if it even has a BIOS, since it just boots straight into Windows without a splash screen.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't know the definitive answer. There was a topic at the alienware forums concerning an issue that is very similar to this.

http://www.alienwarearena.com/forums/thread/83104/hardware-software/alienware-alpha-obtaining-recovery-media-outside-the-us-1

If it helps, I've downloaded and used Win7 straight from Microsoft Servers, wrote the image on a bootable USB, and installed it onto a laptop. The only thing I needed to access was the BIOS boot screen, and then had to set up the system to boot up using the USB drive to install Win7.

This might work with the Alpha, however I've never seen the BIOs screen for the Alpha yet. I'm wondering if it even has a BIOS, since it just boots straight into Windows without a splash screen.
My concern would be the same as the people there. That I could easily recover the drive back to factory specs in case anything happens to the data or I replace the drive. If the recovery stick has Windows already on it and the proper license and will take the blank drive and make it exactly like it was when it shipped in the box, then I am fine. I'm a Mac user so I'm used to just having an easy way of getting my OS back up to normal if I have to reformat my drive. So I'd hope the USB stick would do this for me. As long as I don't have to purchase a new Windows license.

They really should just include the stick in the box. Why bother requiring a call to support when a problem happens. Just have the stick there. It's not like a USB stick of a sufficient size would cost that much. (How much does Alienware charge for the Alpha recovery stick BTW?)

I told my friend about this and he was all interested (Even though he owns a gaming PC he built himself for $1300) until I mentioned it used mobile GPUs. Is it really that big of a problem? (My MacBook has a 750M and my iMac has a 755M and Mac games work fine on them. Windows games seem to depend on how well Parallels can handle them.)

I really wish some reviews would come out with benchmarks. I have a whole list of games I'd love to know how well they run and at what settings they'd require to be playable. I can't even play the copy of DOOM 3 I got for $5 that came out 9 years ago in Parallels, but Duke Nukem Forever runs like butter as does Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider for Mac. So I'd really like a Windows machine I can maybe play the game on. (I also own RAGE and can't even launch it either.)

I'm surprised ArsTechnica and Anandtech haven't put out complete inside out reviews of them yet. Let alone mentioned them at all.

Which "last-gen" games are benchmarked on the Alpha as not having a solid 60fps with high settings? As for "current gen ready", there are already comparisons with current-gen XBox One games, where the Alpha version (PC version) has better graphics but similar framerates.

I love the size of this thing. If I wanted to build my own, I know it would be bigger no matter what, but what's the smallest case I could get away with? I have a 750Ti and would love to throw it into something tiny.

Thrakier

Which "last-gen" games are benchmarked on the Alpha as not having a solid 60fps with high settings? As for "current gen ready", there are already comparisons with current-gen XBox One games, where the Alpha version (PC version) has better graphics but similar framerates.

It doesn't make sense to invest time and money in PC gaming to play, more or less, the console version.

The Alpha offers little value for the money and things like a special UI are nonsense. If you really want to get into PC gaming, you'll be in your txt files editing configs and shit, because PC gaming is still FAR AWAY from plug n play. If you don't tinker with settings and 3rd party software (like Framelimiters etc.) you are not using the potential of your PC, even if it is a slow card like the 860m.

Mihos

Gold Member
It doesn't make sense to invest time and money in PC gaming to play, more or less, the console version.

The Alpha offers little value for the money and things like a special UI are nonsense. If you really want to get into PC gaming, you'll be in your txt files editing configs and shit, because PC gaming is still FAR AWAY from plug n play. If you don't tinker with settings and 3rd party software (like Framelimiters etc.) you are not using the potential of your PC, even if it is a slow card like the 860m.

I click buy on steam.. then I click play.... all with the controller.. I don't do any of the crap you are saying. I don't even know where the mouse went on my X51. I just let Nvidia do the optimization stuff.

Denton

And that's just, like, your opinion, man.
I have a high end PC in my living room and Alpha is therefore not for me, but I can see the appeal of buying a system that is 3 times smaller than Xbone, price competitive, similarly powerful, and serves as gateway to those thousands of cheap, great and existing games. Plus mods and openness as a bonus.

Thrakier

I click buy on steam.. then I click play.... all with the controller.. I don't do any of the crap you are saying. I don't even know where the mouse went on my X51. I just let Nvidia do the optimization stuff.

Sure, and for your pretty low standards you are paying a high price just for...well, I don't know for what.

Sure, and for your pretty low standards you are paying a high price just for...well, I don't know for what.

Again I only speak for myself, but for me I want access to a large back catalog of games, the full indie game scene, Steam sales, early access games, and maybe a mod or two. I think i have aeound 350 PC games now, and the Alpha has handled everything Ive thrown at it with ease.

You continue to make the logical mistake that everyone finds value in the same things that you do, and that simply isn't the case. You really should view these living room micro PC as an expansion of the of market, not as some sort of attack.

Dreamwriter said:

So, you are admitting that you made up the bit about it not being able to play last-gen games at 60fps at high settings? That you are talking about things you havent researched, don't understand, and are not interested in?

I haven't had to tinker with txt files or manually edit config files in literally years, except when modding a game and a couple times getting a game to run at a 4k resolution. And the only time I can remember using 3rd party software to help with a game was using XPadder to let me play a few keyboard games with game controller. Steam gaming is indeed "plug and play".

And, the 860m isn't a "slow" card, it's about the speed of a 750ti, which is mid-range.

Krakn3Dfx

Building a computer has never been rocket science, and it's easier today than it's literally ever been.

5 year old builds a PC

Unless someone has some sort of physical disability that prevents them from putting the 2-3 hours it takes to get a PC up and running (that's a pretty liberal estimate, too, I just pieced together a machine and got Windows installed on it in roughly an hour a couple of weeks ago), I'm baffled by this excuse.

I'm part of the old guard I know, but I actually find the act of PC building pretty relaxing, there's a zen feeling to everything clicking into place and firing it up the first time.

Being able to pick and choose the components/brands you want to use is also a huge plus in my book, if I buy a Dell or an HP for $500-$1000, I know it's going to be a situation where they're picking/building the cheapest options component wise to maximize profits. For $600-$700, I can put together a machine with quality components based on my personal budget level, not a corporations.

Thrakier

Again I only speak for myself, but for me I want access to a large back catalog of games, the full indie game scene, Steam sales, early access games, and maybe a mod or two. I think i have aeound 350 PC games now, and the Alpha has handled everything Ive thrown at it with ease.

You continue to make the logical mistake that everyone finds value in the same things that you do, and that simply isn't the case. You really should view these living room micro PC as an expansion of the of market, not as some sort of attack.

I have no issues with living room micro PCs. I'm just stating that this alienware stuff is overpriced for what it offers and I would not invest in it. All it has going for it is the formfactor, that's it. Rest is more money for less performance and flexibility. It's really a bad deal.

So, you are admitting that you made up the bit about it not being able to play last-gen games at 60fps at high settings? That you are talking about things you havent researched, don't understand, and are not interested in?

I haven't had to tinker with txt files or manually edit config files in literally years, except when modding a game and a couple times getting a game to run at a 4k resolution. And the only time I can remember using 3rd party software to help with a game was using XPadder to let me play a few keyboard games with game controller. Steam gaming is indeed "plug and play".

And, the 860m isn't a "slow" card, it's about the speed of a 750ti, which is mid-range.

There is nothing to admit. I looked at the benchmarks and saw that some lastgen game run at 60FPS, some below, some need medium settings. It's definitly not the performance you would want to invest in in 2014 going forward if you have any plans in PC gaming besides clearing a backlog of the best ports and indie games of past gen. Then this can work.

That you didn't edit config files (or added startup commands) manually in years is hard to believe, since it's pretty much standard in pc gaming, more often than not even suggested by developers for a solution. 90% of PC games do not run perfect out of the box, sans indie games which are no performance hogs. For the other 90% you have to fiddle to get a satisfying experience. You do this or you have to live with low framerates and problematic frametimes (+ other graphical glichtes like broken FSAA, AF, Vsync, framelocks, horrible FOVs etc, that list basically has no end).

If you just want to have a console-like experience, well...that alienware thing might work, but then again, you could just buy a console and you would have a better infrastructure and console exclusive games for less money. I don't see the appeal of an alienware box at all.

wildfire

Banned
And that's just, like, your opinion, man.
I have a high end PC in my living room and Alpha is therefore not for me, but I can see the appeal of buying a system that is 3 times smaller than Xbone, price competitive, similarly powerful, and serves as gateway to those thousands of cheap, great and existing games. Plus mods and openness as a bonus.

And you don't have to buy into a subscription to get Steam level discounts on games and access to online multiplayer.

:|

That five year old needed help with certain connections even though she has the advantage of smaller hands.

Anyway PC gaming involves several hours of research even if someone went to logicalincrements.

If you are trying to hit a certain type of performance the time to research what software and hardware is needed to hit a target is a big investment.

Quite a few people don't want to spend their time learning something as technical as what power supply rails are or why a Radeon 7950 is slower than a 5970.

Seanspeed

Banned
That you didn't edit config files (or added startup commands) manually in years is hard to believe, since it's pretty much standard in pc gaming, more often than not even suggested by developers for a solution. 90% of PC games do not run perfect out of the box, sans indie games which are no performance hogs. For the other 90% you have to fiddle to get a satisfying experience. You do this or you have to live with low framerates and problematic frametimes (+ other graphical glichtes like broken FSAA, AF, Vsync, framelocks, horrible FOVs etc, that list basically has no end).
It really depends on how picky you are about stuff. I think for the large majority of people, tinkering with ini files or whatever is absolutely unnecessary. Just something that is there for those who really want to get everything as perfect as possible.

You're making the mistake of thinking everybody has the exact same standards and preferences you do.

Otherwise, I agree that this Alienware box isn't the way forward for somebody who wants to keep up with the latest games at a high quality going forward. It may be matching the console experience with certain titles right now, maybe even most, but that will likely not be the case for a whole lot longer.

I imagine its good for living room situations that don't have huge TV's or anything, where resolution can be turned down without too much noticeable drop in quality and for those who aren't interested in AAA 60fps gaming or anything, but still want the vast PC games library, ecosystem and other countless perks that come with PC gaming.

I have no issues with living room micro PCs. I'm just stating that this alienware stuff is overpriced for what it offers and I would not invest in it. All it has going for it is the formfactor, that's it. Rest is more money for less performance and flexibility. It's really a bad deal.
Form factor is important for a lot of people, especially those who want to have a gaming PC in the living room. Not everybody has room for, or wants a big old cube or tower sitting around their living room. I know I wouldn't.

Well, let's see how much a "bad deal" it is, using NewEgg prices:
2GB 750ti, $145
Core i3 4130 Haswell, $112
4GB DDR3, $35
Windows 8.1, $100
XBox 360 wireless controller, $45

Total without motherboard, power supply, case: $437 to get equivalent power (but no way you can get it in a case that small with a full size graphics card)

Seems like $549 for that stuff in a nice compact case with a custom launcher is a good deal to me, not overpriced at all. And that's not counting the free games you get with it.

wildfire

Banned
Don't mind Thrakier. He is still thinking of Alienware before they got brought out by Dell.

A lot of people who say Alienware are overpriced pretty much don't look too closely at what has been going since the X51 came out.

Nzyme32

Well, let's see how much a "bad deal" it is, using NewEgg prices:
2GB 750ti, $145
Core i3 4130 Haswell, $112
4GB DDR3, $35
Windows 8.1, $100
XBox 360 wireless controller, $45

Total without motherboard, power supply, case: $437

Seems like $549 for that stuff in a nice compact case with a custom launcher is a good deal to me, not overpriced at all. And that's not counting the free games you get with it.

I'd say you have gone overboard with the Windows price and most of the other prices since they are all going to be OEM variants price wise and subject to discount, but it is still pretty accurate when then accounting for the power supply, case and mobo and the fact that building yourself will negate such price discounts anyway.

As far as the Alienware trope goes, they shake that off reasonably since this is reasonably priced. Whether it is suitable to an individuals need is entirely subjective of course. However, as discussed in this thread and countless others with the same arguments over and over, there are plenty of reasons for someone to be interested in such as system and an easy entry level to the PC platform.

As always I'm interested to see how this goes, along with the whole SteamOS/Machines/Controller ideas over the next few years as well as small form factor PCs in general. I'll be building my own small form factor systems as soon as the Valve Steam Machine Prototype CAD files show up

I'd say you have gone overboard with the Windows price and most of the other prices since they are all going to be OEM variants price wise and subject to discount, but it is still pretty accurate when then accounting for the power supply, case and mobo and the fact that building yourself will negate such price discounts anyway.
Yeah, I was talking about buying stuff from NewEgg to build your own equivalent to the Alpha, and there the OEM price of Windows 8 available to customers is $100. People who are saying it's a bad value because they can build something much better for the same price, haven't done the math.

Mihos

Gold Member

There is nothing to admit. I looked at the benchmarks and saw that some lastgen game run at 60FPS, some below, some need medium settings. It's definitly not the performance you would want to invest in in 2014 going forward if you have any plans in PC gaming besides clearing a backlog of the best ports and indie games of past gen. Then this can work.

If you just want to have a console-like experience, well...that alienware thing might work, but then again, you could just buy a console and you would have a better infrastructure and console exclusive games for less money. I don't see the appeal of an alienware box at all.

You keep talking as if we are not sitting in front of the damn thing looking right at it, using it daily. I have none of those issues you are talking about. Your 90% number is just plain straight up bullshit. Last time I did anything outside of the UI on that PC was to add Durante's stuff to Dark Souls.. which I also did to the other 4 PCs we use in my house for gaming which were pieced together. The X51 on the bedroom TV looks great, has more exclusives/larger library, at a fraction of the price, and nice graphics (most better than the PS4 that is on the same TV) and I haven't had a single issue with it. Maybe you don't see value in such things... luckily you aren't who these are made for. You 'getting it' doesn't make it any less awesome. I chose to buy that one rather than build it specifically because on was on sale and my time is not worth $0.

dugdug

Banned
Quite enjoying mine. Got the i7 version, and, I haven't really had any big problems with it so far.

I do hope a boot to desktop option comes down the line. Alpha UI seems pretty buggy, and, with the only UI navigation option being the awful 360 D-pad, I'd rather just run everything from the desktop.

Top Bottom