• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS4 Pro enhanced games (native support and boosted)

I'm not much of a pixel counter (plus, I have a 1080p TV) so I can't really say anything one way or the other regarding resolution, but I'm playing the JP release of the KH 2.8 collection, and the new 0.2 portion of the collection is definitely running at an unlocked framerate on the Pro, whereas it's 30fps on the base model.

Was this known already?

BigEmil

I'm not much of a pixel counter (plus, I have a 1080p TV) so I can't really say anything one way or the other regarding resolution, but I'm playing the JP release of the KH 2.8 collection, and the new 0.2 portion of the collection is definitely running at an unlocked framerate on the Pro, whereas it's 30fps on the base model.

Was this known already?
Yeah some people reported KH 0.2 is running at 60fps on PS4 Pro while 30fps on PS4

The work is appreciated.
Sorry if I gave the impression I was irritated! Many GAF threads live on long after the OP author moves to another discussion, so it's not unreasonable to think that the list might not be maintained. I was just trying to reiterate that I am paying attention, and it should be a couple days at most between updates.

I'm certainly not the only driver of this thread's success--I rely totally on others to catch upgrades and post material for analysis. (And I also collate the fine work done by Digital Foundry, NXGamer, and others.)

We all know that just switching something on for every single game without any changes having been made to the code could cause issues which Sony have already stated they're not going to allow to happen. Maybe the developer selecting the Pro flag is a way around that? It will happen only when it's safe for it to happen to that game.
You could turn out to be right. We think of "OS-level supersampling" as just a way to make 1080p displays get the IQ benefits from games running at higher resolution. With that definition, things like World of Final Fantasy and XCOM 2 don't seem to fit, since even on 4K displays they show no resolution improvements.

But perhaps, as you say, they're waiting for a firmware update to activate not just supersampling at 1080p, but higher resolution at all. It's not at all clear why developers would want to wait for a firmware update when they obviously don't have to...but stranger things have happened. We don't know what technical features may exist behind the scenes in 4.5, or how they interact with specific games.

Was this known already?
Great info! Since you have the game and a Pro, could you post screenshots? Even if they're 1080p, it might be possible to tell if they're supersampled or not. Captures from the different portions of the collection would be ideal.

Thanks!

Minamu

You typically shouldn't have to ask this kind of question. If it's not on the list, chances are very high it's not updated. I'm keeping pretty caught up.

I haven't seen anyone mention a Rocket League patch, and given the daily players it would surely be noticed.
Ah I see, sorry :) Yeah I found some older articles saying they were looking into it, but nothing else. I saw the game on a OG console the other day on a 60" and it *really* needed some AA or scaling resolution :/

Rizzi

Halfway through January, and that December(?) pro patch for FF XV still hasn't showed up. That's kind of annoying.

Minamu

Halfway through January, and that December(?) pro patch for FF XV still hasn't showed up. That's kind of annoying.
You mean the 60 fps patch, yes? If so, yeah that's annoying, although I seriously doubt they could reach 60 in the first place. There is a Pro patch though, it was included from the start.

Rizzi

You mean the 60 fps patch, yes? If so, yeah that's annoying, although I seriously doubt they could reach 60 in the first place. There is a Pro patch though, it was included from the start.

Yeah that's the one. I don't really see much difference between the two modes on my 1080p display, except for the frame pacing being fucked up on the higher resolution mode so 60fps would have been nice. :/

Great info! Since you have the game and a Pro, could you post screenshots? Even if they're 1080p, it might be possible to tell if they're supersampled or not. Captures from the different portions of the collection would be ideal.

Thanks!

Sure.

Dream Drop Distance HD

kingdomheartshd2_8finbhzzq.png

kingdomheartshd2_8finwzb9r.png

A Fragmentary Passage

I noticed that there's still no clarification on whether or not UMvC3 has Pro enhancements. I have UMvC3 as well, so I can take screenshots for that if it'd help.

Sure.

Dream Drop Distance HD

A Fragmentary Passage
Thanks for these! As I said, since your Pro system is set to 1080p output, I can't tell directly by pixel counting whether the game is running at a higher resolution. Pixel counting normally can detect any rendering resolution up to the size of the screenshot, and yours are 4K. However, in this case that 4K is achieved by upscaling the 1080p buffer the Pro is outputting to your TV.

What I'm really trying to find, then, is evidence that the image was supersampled at 1080p. Pixel counting won't help there, so what must be examined is the pattern of antialiasing. This is a harder task, so the results are even less definitive than usual. But given the patterning seen I would say that both sections look like native 1080p. That would mean that Kingdom Hearts is either not rendering above 1080p, or if it is, then it's not supersampling on a 1080p display.

I noticed that there's still no clarification on whether or not UMvC3 has Pro enhancements. I have UMvC3 as well, so I can take screenshots for that if it'd help.
If you could, that'd be great! Thanks to you and everyone else who contributes.

Here's some screens for UMvC3
Thank you! My counts seem to indicate that all assets, including fighters, background, and UI are still rendered at 1080p. (The lack of UI up-res isn't surprising, considering the game relies strongly on flat art there rather than rendering.) I appreciate your help in the thread!

After mulling it over for a little while, I've decided not to add games like this one to the list. (That is, they've had Pro support announced, but no improvements can be detected.) This is driven by the initial purpose of the thread, to serve as a guide to tangible game benefits for new and future Pro owners. The title, after all, is "games with PS4 Pro enhancements".

A compromise suggestion was made, to include claimed Pro games but mark them somehow versus those whose improvements have been confirmed. In the end, I think that ends up being superfluous. Lists of all games with announced support (regardless of release status or confirmation) are available elsewhere. And I'll continue to list potential candidates in the "please post info and shots" portion of the first post, so that serves much of the same purpose. Furthermore, past experience has taught us that even public announcements of features by devs might not be reflected in the released game.

My ultimate goal is complete clarity in the data presented. I'm sure no one thinks the list should include unpatched PS4 games. Yet any game which looks and runs the same as on standard PS4 is functionally identical, whether or not it is tagged as having "Pro support". The distinction isn't meaningful, and including such games seems it would only impair the usefulness of the list.

(Note that this doesn't mean World of Final Fantasy, UMvC 3, etc. are off the list forever. Even if they never get patched again, there may be enhancements already in place that just haven't been detected. But until we have proof of those improvements, I don't want to assume.)

Thank you! My counts seem to indicate that all assets, including fighters, background, and UI are still rendered at 1080p. (The lack of UI up-res isn't surprising, considering the game relies strongly on flat art there rather than rendering.) I appreciate your help in the thread!

After mulling it over for a little while, I've decided not to add games like this one to the list. (That is, they've had Pro support announced, but no improvements can be detected.) This is driven by the initial purpose of the thread, to serve as a guide to tangible game benefits for new and future Pro owners. The title, after all, is "games with PS4 Pro enhancements".

A compromise suggestion was made, to include claimed Pro games but mark them somehow versus those whose improvements have been confirmed. In the end, I think that ends up being superfluous. Lists of all games with announced support (regardless of release status or confirmation) are available elsewhere. And I'll continue to list potential candidates in the "please post info and shots" portion of the first post, so that serves much of the same purpose. Furthermore, past experience has taught us that even public announcements of features by devs might not be reflected in the released game.

My ultimate goal is complete clarity in the data presented. I'm sure no one thinks the list should include unpatched PS4 games. Yet any game which looks and runs the same as on standard PS4 is functionally identical, whether or not it is tagged as having "Pro support". The distinction isn't meaningful, and including such games seems it would only impair the usefulness of the list.

(Note that this doesn't mean World of Final Fantasy, UMvC 3, etc. are off the list forever. Even if they never get patched again, there may be enhancements already in place that just haven't been detected. But until we have proof of those improvements, I don't want to assume.)

I think the problem with excluding them entirely is you might then make some people think you've forgotten/missed those games, instead of them not being worth the effort to include. Maybe just add a new question to the FAQ and include a short list of the games with no noticeable improvements?

I think the problem with excluding them entirely is you might then make some people think you've forgotten/missed those games, instead of them not being worth the effort to include. Maybe just add a new question to the FAQ and include a short list of the games with no noticeable improvements?
If you think about it, an actual "list of games with no noticeable improvements" would not be short, it'd include every PS4 game not in the main list. That was my point, that there isn't a real distinction between unsupported games and "supported but no change". The "maybe this game has support" category is more meaningful, so for that I'll keep the already-existing list in the first post.

But all that reasoning needs to be clear to readers, so I will definitely update the FAQ to make it transparent. Thanks for the suggestions!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Here's some closing screenshots from Ratchet and Clank. I have to say, SUPER impressed with how clean and vibrant the game looks. Incredibly consistent performance as well.

JP

If you think about it, an actual "list of games with no noticeable improvements" would not be short, it'd include every PS4 game not in the main list. That was my point, that there isn't a real distinction between unsupported games and "supported but no change". The "maybe this game has support" category is more meaningful, so for that I'll keep the already-existing list in the first post.

But all that reasoning needs to be clear to readers, so I will definitely update the FAQ to make it transparent. Thanks for the suggestions!
Obviously, this is your thing and it's entirely up to you what you do here.

No idea if it's what the person you quoted was suggesting but what I meant by it was including games that maybe the developer has stated has had a Pro update, maybe the patch notes have or maybe it's listed under the Pro section of the store and quality the listing with where that information came from.

What I felt was that it was important to list them but also to clearly state that there was no noticeable improvements at that time.

There really hasn't been many games that would fit into this category because the vast majority of games that follow these guidelines do have differences when you play them on the Pro.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It looks amazing at 1080p, but when I take a 4K screenshot, it looks super weird.

Do you take 4K as JPG ? Probably the compression. I'm running my Pro on a 4K TV, game looks incredibly razor sharp at full resolution too. The compression on the 1080p video scenes looks off putting when you switch to them from the higher native resolution.

Bento

Briefly browsing the Community side and couldn't find a more suitable Playstation 4 thread for this kind of question so I hope you guys don't mind :3

So I've gone without a PS4 for this long but have finally decided to buy one since Persona 5 is just around the corner (and not coming to PC) and it now having some big exclusives to play (Bloodborne and TLG). So I have some questions!

1.) I don't have a TV. Will I be having any issues playing my PS4 games on a 1080p HDMI monitor?
2.) I've been seriously considering a PS4 Pro despite not having a 4k monitor/TV since it does seem to bring some performance improvements in certain games at 1080p. Am I being dumb? :p
3.) Is there any reason to consider the Slim? Price is not an issue here.
4.) Can I plug a USB mouse and keyboard into the console? I might consider moving over my FFXIV playtime to PS4 but I would need mouse and keyboard for that (healer!).

Thanks for replies in advance! :eek:)

Lady Gaia

I have some questions!

1.) I don't have a TV. Will I be having any issues playing my PS4 games on a 1080p HDMI monitor?

You'll be fine. If your monitor supports HDCP everything will work flawlessly. If it doesn't you should still be able to use the display with HDCP disabled and the only problems you're likely to have are with media apps like NetFlix which will refuse to show copyrighted content.

2.) I've been seriously considering a PS4 Pro despite not having a 4k monitor/TV since it does seem to bring some performance improvements in certain games at 1080p. Am I being dumb? :p

If you're thinking about it as an investment in games to come I don't think it's unreasonable. The differences with current titles range from nonexistent to minor to one or two where it's fairly significant (frame rate in The Last Guardian leaps to mind.) I expect more notable differences going forward.

3.) Is there any reason to consider the Slim? Price is not an issue here.

Lower power usage, correspondingly lesser heat production and fan noise, plus a smaller footprint. If none of this and the price aren't a big deal, the PS4 Pro is a really solid option.

4.) Can I plug a USB mouse and keyboard into the console? I might consider moving over my FFXIV playtime to PS4 but I would need mouse and keyboard for that (healer!).

Yes, but most games won't use them for anything other than text input. Luckily for you, it sounds like FFXIV is an exception to that rule and fully supports mouse + keyboard control. I don't have any personal experience with this setup but a quick search shows a lot of confirmation from people who are doing exactly this.

Star Wars Battlefront got a patch this morning, does anyone know if it got PS4 Pro support added? Some battlefront super sampled 1080p and 4K would look really nice.

Fate/EXTELLA seems to also have some sort of PS4 Enhancement. I booted it up for a second and the presentation looked sharp. No idea whether the game was downsampled on my 1080p screen or not. I'm gonna have to play more later.

Fate/EXTELLA seems to also have some sort of PS4 Enhancement. I booted it up for a second and the presentation looked sharp. No idea whether the game was downsampled on my 1080p screen or not. I'm gonna have to play more later.

Yeah they said that it does have Pro enhancements but they dont have anything specified yet.

Here's some quick screens

1080p:

amarectv2017-01-1717-tgsv6.png

amarectv2017-01-1717-uhsd3.png

4k:

fateextella_201701171ecsnj.png

fateextella_2017011712ls26.png

Yeah they said that it does have Pro enhancements but they dont have anything specified yet.

1080p:

amarectv2017-01-1717-tgsv6.png

amarectv2017-01-1717-uhsd3.png

4k:

fateextella_201701171ecsnj.png

fateextella_2017011712ls26.png
I wanna say the presentation is very clean, to a point that I believe there is downsampling happening here. I'm playing now and everything seems really sharp and smooth.

Fate/EXTELLA seems to also have some sort of PS4 Enhancement. I booted it up for a second and the presentation looked sharp.

Thanks so much for the heads up names2hard4you, and to Omegabalmung9 again for the great comparison shots! I pixel counted, and Fate/EXTELLA seems to be 1920x1080 with no downsampling for 1080p displays (even the UI isn't higher resolution). I don't see any texture, AF, shadow, lighting, or reflection changes either. I also checked some videos, and the game is 60fps target on both standard and PS4 Pro. Though there may be differences in how well it holds that target, I didn't see obvious gulfs between them. So for now I won't add the game to the main list. But the videos I saw weren't direct comparisons or even of the same area, so differences in performance are definitely still possible.

Just as a heads up...
Werewolves Within PSVR Pro Patch coming soon...
Thanks for the info! While the article you linked is about a fix patch for Pro issues, that should mean that (messed up) support is in there already. I feel bad about the state of the VR info in my list; it's really difficult to find evidence of improvements. There are technical hurdles to analysis of PSVR that aren't present for standard games. I do want to apologize to VR owners about the meager info I've been able to present.

What I felt was that it was important to list them but also to clearly state that there was no noticeable improvements at that time.

There really hasn't been many games that would fit into this category because the vast majority of games that follow these guidelines do have differences when you play them on the Pro.
I've now updated the OP to compromise on this. While I won't add games with announced but unproven Pro support to the main lists, I will include them in the "need more evidence" shortlist in the OP. I changed the heading to make this clearer, as well as added a new FAQ entry with details.

While I was checking all this, I did find two games with previously announced support that really are improved on Pro. Both the Amnesia Collection and the Kingdom Hearts 0.2: Birth by Sleep - A Fragmentary Passage section of Kingdom Hearts HD II.8 Final Chapter Prologue Et Cetera Non Pariba #Ad Astra&Nauseum&Infinitum are enhanced when played on Pro. From what I could see, resolution and graphics are the same as on standard in both titles, but framerate is much higher (doubled in Kingdom Hearts).

This does mean that there may be improvements like this in the other announced-but-unproven games such as World of Final Fantasy. Unfortunately, framerate enhancements are the hardest to pin down, since I simply don't have time to go through hours of footage looking for like-for-like scenes. And my eyeball estimates are a poor tool to catch small differences anyway. In these cases, I may have to wait for better-equipped people and outlets to check the games.

Nerix

If you read through the thread, you'll see that there seems to be no improvements over the standard version, causing people to wonder if the Pro patch actually came out when they said it did, or if the improvements are still to come.
Thanks, didn't go through the whole thread. Strange, as the blog explicitly mentioned it in the day 1 pro support list...

hmm for some reason I thought there was already Pro support for Fallout 4, but it hasn't happened yet? Any new word on that? I've been putting this game off forever.

Star Wars Battlefront got a patch this morning, does anyone know if it got PS4 Pro support added? Some battlefront super sampled 1080p and 4K would look really nice.

I was hoping it would have a ghost pro patch as well, but sadly there's no difference on a 1080p display :-(

Can you or anyone else share some Battlefront PS4 Pro screenshots?
I'm going to go on record and say that a Pro patch for Battlefront is not coming out. I asked one of the DICE guys at PSX this past December and that's what he told me.

Can things change? Certainly. I'm not counting on it, though.

What about XCOM 2 in the list? Didn't it get pro patch at launch?
As explained already, no obvious enhancements are in place (though there could be some.more obscure ones, such as lessened framerate drops). Therefore, I don't want to put it in the main list, as explained in the FAQ.

However, I did forget to add it to the short list of "announced but no evidence" titles in the OP, so I'll make sure to do that.

Forgive me if this is already covered, (didn't see it in OP) DiRT Rally VR will be optimised for PS4 Pro, but no changes to the base game at this time.

Forgive me if this is already covered, (didn't see it in OP) DiRT Rally VR will be optimised for PS4 Pro, but no changes to the base game at this time.
"Will be" or "is"? I only post games to the thread once they're out (so for example, Gravity Rush 2 isn't here even though we pretty much know what it'll be like). Has the VR mode been patched already?

hawk2025

Wait, is the Ezio collection really 4K NATIVE on a 4K tv?

I may have to pick it up tomorrow afterall when my tv arrives.

There is no Pro support in Battlefront, the latest patch didn't add anything.

I'm going to go on record and say that a Pro patch for Battlefront is not coming out. I asked one of the DICE guys at PSX this past December and that's what he told me.

Can things change? Certainly. I'm not counting on it, though.

That's a shame, Thanks for the info.

Wait, is the Ezio collection really 4K NATIVE on a 4K tv?

I may have to pick it up tomorrow afterall when my tv arrives.

Yep

Any info on KH 2.8 having pro compatibility ?
Yes, it's in the list. I couldn't find any resolution or graphical improvements, but the 0.2: Birth by Sleep - A Fragmentary Passage section is 60fps on Pro, where it's 30fps on standard. The other portions of the collection are already 60fps, so if Pro improves framerate on those it's much more marginal. (And I don't have the tools/abilities to discover that.)

Gray-Fox

Yes, it's in the list. I couldn't find any resolution or graphical improvements, but the 0.2: Birth by Sleep - A Fragmentary Passage section is 60fps on Pro, where it's 30fps on standard. The other portions of the collection are already 60fps, so if Pro improves framerate on those it's much more marginal. (And I don't have the tools/abilities to discover that.)
Ok. Cool. Thanks

Top Bottom