• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS4 Pro enhanced games (native support and boosted)

Cleve

Jesus, I just felt like dipping in to black ops 3 multi for a bit, and god damn that game runs like hot diarrhea on the pro(4k).

Any time there was a grenade, smoke, or anything of the like multiplayer plummets from 60 fps to what felt like low 20s, inputs are way off for a second or two and it's borderline unplayable compared to base ps4. I can see pushing IQ and getting some dips/drops in single player, but it's completely unacceptable in multiplayer. Deleting the game off my drive as I assume it's never getting a fix.

Performance is WAY worse than on base ps4 in multiplayer. Seems like the standard memory bandwith issues seen in some other intensive games with lots of alpha-effects on screen, but that's pretty common in a cod multiplayer situation.

Any time there was a grenade, smoke, or anything of the like multiplayer plummets from 60 fps to what felt like low 20s, inputs are way off for a second or two and it's borderline unplayable compared to base ps4. I can see pushing IQ and getting some dips/drops in single player, but it's completely unacceptable in multiplayer. Deleting the game off my drive as I assume it's never getting a fix.
While it's far from ideal, you can force the game to render at 1080p by changing the Pro output settings. Even at 1080p, Pro is still occasionally higher resolution than the standard PS4 (which is dynamic 1080p). The framerate in this mode is much higher, as seen here.

I've also seen claims that by starting the game at lower resolution and then switching Pro to 4K output, you can retain the high framerate while getting the resolution benefits too. This would have to be a weird bug, and I doubt the veracity of this. But you could give it a try.

Cleve

While it's far from ideal, you can force the game to render at 1080p by changing the Pro output settings. Even at 1080p, Pro is still occasionally higher resolution than the standard PS4 (which is dynamic 1080p). The framerate in this mode is much higher, as seen here.

I've also seen claims that by starting the game at lower resolution and then switching Pro to 4K output, you can retain the high framerate while getting the resolution benefits too. This would have to be a weird bug, and I doubt the veracity of this. But you could give it a try.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I agree, the second bit sounds a bit suspect. I can understand it running better locked to 1080, but simply setting it to 720 then back to 4k to eliminate frame drops sounds like it may not actually be running at 4k.

deadstar72

Neo Member
NXGamer's BattleBorn video is up, sorry if this was posted before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGASeCXNwuk&list=WL&index=15

Game is rock solid 30 FPS in 4K (native) mode and rock solid 60 FPS in the 1080p/60 mode on a Pro. One of the best Pro patches for adhering to performance in the respective modes so far.
Looks great, really nice to see them put such effort into the pro patch despite how the game fared sales wise. It's on sale at the moment on PSN (EU/PAL), might finally pick this up

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Resident evil 7 shipped for me today. Do we know what the enhancements are?

Capcom just said it will 'support 4K', nothing more specific. The game is already 60 FPS on all devices so only way to go up is via resolution. The demo updated to support 4K and HDR too but I was only able to see the HDR toggle, based on playing an earlier version of the demo and then the one with the update, I did not notice any resolution boosts.

http://i.imgur.com/7iBfZ3R.gifv

sdsdf20y7g.png

4K UHD | Resident Evil 7 – PS4 vs. PS4 Pro 4K Mode Graphics Comparison

Resident Evil 7 is looking fantastic on the Pro

JP

That looks like a decent upgrade, I'm surprised at just how soft the standard version looks in comparison.

4K UHD | Resident Evil 7 – PS4 vs. PS4 Pro 4K Mode Graphics Comparison

Resident Evil 7 is looking fantastic on the Pro
Thanks for the link! I've also checked NXGamer's first contact video.
According to the video description, it's 1656p.
Other counts, including mine, indicate different values in this general vicinity. The game (as noted here) is very soft, with tons of post-processing. This makes counting difficult, so these variable and uncertain results aren't surprising. I've therefore decided to add the game to the list as 1620p. That's because it's a low integer fraction of 2160p, and thus I think it's more likely than 1656p. If better information comes up, I'll update.

I've also added RE VII to the VR list. We don't have specific buffer size (which is typical for VR games), but it definitely seems to have improved resolution.

adamsapple

Here's a few 1080p screens from the game running in 4K (down scaled via PS4's built-in image capture) from the first few mins of RE7, game has good IQ. However, I did notice some visible pop in with grass strands. Shadows also seem a bit dithered.

Yes, screenshots would be great! The best is comparisons--as similar as possible--with your Pro set to 4K output and to 1080p output. (Or, if the game lets you choose in an internal settings menu, that way.) The shots themselves should be 4K no matter what the console output is set to. Any impressions you can give of other notable differences (framerate, shadows, particles, etc.) are also helpful.
Is USB transfer the only real way to keep the PNG pictures' image quality intact? Posting the pics to Facebook or messaging them through the PSN Messages app converted them in JPGs.

Is USB transfer the only real way to keep the PNG pictures' image quality intact? Posting the pics to Facebook or messaging them through the PSN Messages app converted them in JPGs.
If you're taking 4K screenshots, PNG may be too big to post anywhere anyway. Feel free to capture JPEG on the PS4. If you avoid sharing through messages, Facebook, or Twitter to skip any further compression, they should still be fine for analysis.

Using USB transfer and a good hosting site (like Abload) is the best way to preserve picture quality. Sorry about the extra work, but thanks for the help!

If you're taking 4K screenshots, PNG may be too big to post anywhere anyway. Feel free to capture JPEG on the PS4. If you avoid sharing through messages, Facebook, or Twitter to skip any further compression, they should still be fine for analysis.
I opted for PNG in the end, to avoid any gross compression artifacts. I'm having trouble distinguishing between the two. I'm no pixel counter, though, so someone else will have to step in and work their magic. First image is the 4K version, then the second is the 1080P one. Also, I noticed no difference in graphical effects.

Image01 said:

Image02 said:

Image03 said:

I opted for PNG in the end, to avoid any gross compression artifacts. I'm having trouble distinguishing between the two. I'm no pixel counter, though, so someone else will have to step in and work their magic. First image is the 4K version, then the second is the 1080P one. Also, I noticed no difference in graphical effects.
Thanks a lot! It seems that Lara Croft GO does not have a higher resolution on 4K displays, as even the UI is scaled. As with your impressions, I don't see any other changes to the graphics. If there are enhancements to the game, they're more obscure. That's not the best news perhaps, but I really appreciate you taking the time to help us get an answer!

Haines

Banned
The list for hdr games is so small.

I seriously hope it grows and quick. With hitman getting it patched maybe there is hope for other older games.

Hdr is the best when the tech is done right on a good tv.

The list for hdr games is so small.

I seriously hope it grows and quick. With hitman getting it patched maybe there is hope for other older games.

Hdr is the best when the tech is done right on a good tv.
Resident Evil VII being HDR does give a little hope that high-profile games may support it more frequently in the future. I'm not terribly confident about smaller games, or ones which are already released. That said, Hitman makes sense since it's an ongoing service. Other games like that--Warframe, perhaps?--could follow suit.

Looks like the Resogun patch is incoming as it is now featuring on the Pro enhanced page on the PSN store.

Cant wait.
Oh, lawdy! Though we don't know what the final resolution will be, having HDR support alone is enough to get excited for.

Thanks a lot! It seems that Lara Croft GO does not have a higher resolution on 4K displays, as even the UI is scaled.
I could have sworn that, when Lara Croft Go was announced at PSX 2016, 4k support was uttered in the same breath. Alas, that is not the case.

I've made some minor changes to games in the lists. First, there are additional enhancements in Elder Scrolls Online if you choose 1080p rather than 4K on the Pro. Second, I added further details to Resident Evil VII for VR. In addition to the overall resolution bump, the foveated resolution method has also been removed on Pro. And though it's much less obvious, there seems to be a little improvement to draw distance.

As always, let me know if there's anything I can do to improve the thread. And post whatever info, screenshots, or links you have available. Thanks!

Here's two I just took
Thanks! I'll take a look once I have a better display than my phone available.

So, I don't understand what the Lara Croft GO PS4 Pro patch actually does... ?
Nothing, as far as I can tell. No higher res or graphical improvements are in evidence from the shots posted. I could be missing stuff, or more could happen later in the game. And I obviously can't speak to any framerate bumps from screenshots.

But until such changes are in evidence, I've added the game not to the main list, but to the uncertain list in the OP. Like the other games there, we have claims of Pro support, but I personally haven't seen them. That doesn't mean they're not present--I could've made mistakes--but for these games I also don't know of any third-party technical analysis pointing out enhancements. Please let me know if anything is out there.

spectator

Nothing, as far as I can tell. No higher res or graphical improvements are in evidence from the shots posted. I could be missing stuff, or more could happen later in the game. And I obviously can't speak to any framerate bumps from screenshots.

But until such changes are in evidence, I've added the game not to the main list, but to the uncertain list in the OP. Like the other games there, we have claims of Pro support, but I personally haven't seen them. That doesn't mean they're not present--I could've made mistakes--but for these games I also don't know of any third-party technical analysis pointing out enhancements. Please let me know if anything is out there.

Thanks for the detail/confirmation. It's hard to imagine what benefit could be included if there's no higher rendering resolution. This game is far from a technical challenge for the PS4 so, if there are any frame-rate issues of any kind on a standard PS4 console, something is very wrong.

This game ought to be able to achieve native 4K at 60fps on a standard PS4. With some solid technical/performance investment, there really would be nothing for a Pro patch to do in the first place.

Andrefpvs

I wanted to ask about taking 4K screenshots with the Share button when playing on a 1080p screen: is there any benefit to doing this (do I get a screenshot rendered natively at 4K), or is it that all I'm getting are upscaled screenshots from 1080p (even if the game is supersampled from 4K)?

Thanks!

I wanted to ask about taking 4K screenshots with the Share button when playing on a 1080p screen: is there any benefit to doing this (do I get a screenshot rendered natively at 4K), or is it that all I'm getting are upscaled screenshots from 1080p (even if the game is supersampled from 4K)?

Thanks!
The screenshot will be upscaled if your system is set to output at 1080p. The Share button is just capturing the current output of the console. It has no time to enhance it.

Of course, some games are running at higher resolution than 1080p, and then downsampling at the end. But the Share button can't pluck a high-res intermediate frame from the middle of the render process, because each game is different and Share is a system-level function.

As a result of all this, 4K Share screenshots of 1080p settings can be even softer than shown on your display. That's because they've been downsampled (in most games), then upsampled again.

That said, individual games can include photo modes that do provide 4K screenshots even if the console is set to 1080p. In such modes there's time to make the extra calculations. So far I'm only aware of Bound doing this. (Photo mode is always native 4K even though the game itself doesn't hit that in any gameplay mode.) But I believe GT Sport announced this feature as well, and it should appear in scattered other games.

antibolo

Banned
Man I really hope they patch Persona 5 for the Pro. I just want crisper visuals for my KS8500. Don't think this is one game that will benefit much from HDR given the art style, but please gimme 4K @ 30fps! It's a PS3 game, this should definitely be possible!

Atlus has probably already stopped any maintenance on this game at this point.

mileS

I would be really happy if they added downsampling to Dishonored 2. The fact that its not there to begin with is damn near infuriating.

If it's not in this patch I'll probably give up hope forever. Have they ever commented on this?

Andrefpvs

The screenshot will be upscaled if your system is set to output at 1080p. The Share button is just capturing the current output of the console. It has no time to enhance it.

Of course, some games are running at higher resolution than 1080p, and then downsampling at the end. But the Share button can't pluck a high-res intermediate frame from the middle of the render process, because each game is different and Share is a system-level function.

As a result of all this, 4K Share screenshots of 1080p settings can be even softer than shown on your display. That's because they've been downsampled (in most games), then upsampled again.

That said, individual games can include photo modes that do provide 4K screenshots even if the console is set to 1080p. In such modes there's time to make the extra calculations. So far I'm only aware of Bound doing this. (Photo mode is always native 4K even though the game itself doesn't hit that in any gameplay mode.) But I believe GT Sport announced this feature as well, and it should appear in scattered other games.

Thanks so much for the detailed answer! I guess I'll turn screenshot capture back to 1080p, since apparently all I'm getting with 4K screenshots is a higher file size for a softer image.

Jacob4815

I would be really happy if they added downsampling to Dishonored 2. The fact that its not there to begin with is damn near infuriating.

If it's not in this patch I'll probably give up hope forever. Have they ever commented on this?

No, developers and official accounts never commented on the issue when asked.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

If I have a 1080p screen, Dishonored 2 does nothing, right?

That's pretty crazy, because Dishonored 2 is one of only two Pro-enhanced games that make my Pro fans go absolutely nuts when I play it. It and Mafia 3. All other games (FFXV, BF1, Titanfall2, many more) don't make my fans spin up.

Liabe Brave, can you count which resolution is the For Honor Beta actually running on the Pro? It looks amazing on my TV. I'm guessing is 1800p, but it doesn't have the same artifacts as Watch Dogs 2, so it could be 4K?

I took a couple of PNG and compressed them

Liabe Brave, can you count which resolution is the For Honor Beta actually running on the Pro? It looks amazing on my TV. I'm guessing is 1800p, but it doesn't have the same artifacts as Watch Dogs 2, so it could be 4K?

I took a couple of PNG and compressed them
Looks like a full 4K framebuffer to me. And on review it does seem to be checkerboarded, given the apparent artifacts on the oriflamme in the second shot. My guess would be the beta is 2160c. However, the PNG compression has added all sorts of grain and color distortion to the fine details, so take all this with a huge grain of salt.

Would it be possible to capture some JPEGs and upload them directly? They'll be compressed even further, but I think in a way that's less difficult to count through. I won't have time to check them until tomorrow, so you don't need to hurry.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Liabe Brave...

Just want to say that as a PS4 Pro owner, this is an excellent topic. Keep up the great work and info. :)

adamsapple

Digital Foundry put up a RE7 comparison. According to them the resolution for Pro version is: 2240x1260p. Not exactly the biggest leaps above 1080p.

Could this be a case of the game dynamically adjusting resolution ?

PNG is lossless, why would it change the image at all?
PNG has compression level settings that change the palette size. In order to make his 4K shots smaller so he could easily post them, PsihoPerihelion reduced the color depth. Just zoom in on the shots: you can see fringes of solid color and dithering artifacts all over. The game obviously doesn't look like that, or it'd shimmer very badly.

Anarion07

Digital Foundry put up a RE7 comparison. According to them the resolution for Pro version is: 2240x1260p. Not exactly the biggest leaps above 1080p.

Could this be a case of the game dynamically adjusting resolution ?

Pretty sure the Base ps4 version uses foveated rendering which the pro doesn't. Thought I saw that in NXgamer video
edit: damn i was thinking about PSVR.

Looks like a full 4K framebuffer to me. And on review it does seem to be checkerboarded, given the apparent artifacts on the oriflamme in the second shot. My guess would be the beta is 2160c. However, the PNG compression has added all sorts of grain and color distortion to the fine details, so take all this with a huge grain of salt.

Would it be possible to capture some JPEGs and upload them directly? They'll be compressed even further, but I think in a way that's less difficult to count through. I won't have time to check them until tomorrow, so you don't need to hurry.

Alright, let's try again:

Top Bottom