• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS4 Pro enhanced games (native support and boosted)

Shari

Sony's promise was crystal clear. And on many occasions it has failed. Royally.

Yes there are even first party exclusive games that have no support for the Pro at all. Nada.

Sony should be trying to be more vocal about this towards devs. They have ways to try and press devs support the Pro at least decently. This doenst include threats or extortion tactics. Just good and healthy collaboration.

THis should never be acceptable by the gaming community and I am of the opinion that we should be vocal to Sony about it and try and improve the situation. I mean where is the harm in that really? It can only get better...

All in all I agree with you but the premise was flawed from the beginning and I spoke about it 2 weeks from release and got flamed to oblivion for it

The only thing I would ask Sony is to implement stuff to help devs towards using Pro power (framework?) in a streamlined fashion and to implement also system-wide functionality to downsample from 1080p.

At some point someone will understand that if you're asking a third party to do a job in your benefit without getting rewarded for it it's going to be the last of their priorities, and now that the novelty and Sony's push is wearing off we start to see the results.

Also as a community it would be nice to be vocal to Sony about what's wrong with how Pro works right now but that's impossible to do in the console market because there are way too many defense force fanboys that will come at you just for pointing out the flaws thus making impossible to stand together.

Can Liabe Brave update Injustice 2? :)
I'll do so when I make my next update pass.

Sony's promise was crystal clear. And on many occasions it has failed. Royally.
This is complete nonsense. You're well within your rights to be disappointed and upset about the level of Pro support. But don't invent history to try and justify that. Sony never promised anything other than what you're getting.

valkyre

This is complete nonsense. You're well within your rights to be disappointed and upset about the level of Pro support. But don't invent history to try and justify that. Sony never promised anything other than what you're getting.

Nonsense? Really?

You do know there are news games out there that have no Pro support at all right? You do also know that there are Pro supported games out there that run worse than PS4 performance wise right?

Nonsense? Really?

You do know there are news games out there that have no Pro support at all right? You do also know that there are Pro supported games out there that run worse than PS4 performance wise right?

Sony never ever said that all games would get Pro support nor that it would be required. What are the games that run worse?

All in all I agree with you but the premise was flawed from the beginning and I spoke about it 2 weeks from release and got flamed to oblivion for it.
You got such intense pushback partly because you made an unsubstantiated, inflammatory claim. It's disingenuous to picture yourself as a calm voice of reason there.

The only thing I would ask Sony is to implement stuff to help devs towards using Pro power (framework?) in a streamlined fashion and to implement also system-wide functionality to downsample from 1080p.
You don't actually know that they haven't made Pro support streamlined. Plus your whole stance is that it wouldn't matter anyway, since any effort may be too much for a particular dev.

There is exactly one game that runs worse, the Skyrim remaster. But it looks much better. This was a dev-decided tradeoff.

As for games lacking Pro enhancements, yes it's nonsense to say this breaks a promise. Sony never claimed the benefits would be universal.

Again, I'm not saying you should be satisfied. Pro support could definitely be a whole lot better. All I'm refuting is the claim that something better was promised to you.

Yes. They ABSOLUTELY said that.
No they did not. If you think otherwise, find a quote.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

They didn't though. Outside of that leaked PDF from a year ago, there's no direct quote from anyone at Sony that says anything like that.

Also as a community it would be nice to be vocal to Sony about what's wrong with how Pro works right now but that's impossible to do in the console market because there are way too many defense force fanboys that will come at you just for pointing out the flaws thus making impossible to stand together.

You know it's never a good idea to ask for peaceful conversation then end with a comment like that, right ? The Boost Mode was added after much feedback from users like you and me, so there's no reason to think Sony won't be adding more functionality to it with future updates. Other then that, if a game doesn't have the best ever Pro support, I don't understand why some users start blaming Sony or the Pro as a console for it.

For every 1 game that doesn't do good Pro updates, we have a dozen which knock it out of the park. Just look at Strain, it's being called the best use of a Pro by a lot of people .. and that's a game which isn't even from a AAA studio. It shows you that implementing Pro upgrades is something that Sony's left on a per-studio basis. There's no mandate, should there be ? Sure .. why not. But does this invalidate all the Pro upgrades that've been put out so far and will no doubt be put out with future release ? Absolutely not.

Shari

You got such intense pushback partly because you made an unsubstantiated, inflammatory claim. It's disingenuous to picture yourself as a calm voice of reason there.

I got an intense pushback because many people, you among, didn't like what I was saying.

And for what is worth, plenty of people back then didn't know support wasn't mandatory as can be read.

There are also a couple of your opinions there, in case people want hindsight.

And my stance is that if Sony would have done the homework and placed the improvements on a system level then improvements wouldnt depend on dev implication and many people now wouldn't feel misled.

Letting aside the ridiculous 1080p support, we're starting to see big games with no support at all, Prey as an example, I'm sure that when I created the thread half a year ago everyone was expecting this, sure.

Be ready to receive comments from several users defending Sony's comm.

Edit: Aaaaaaaand I'm late.

Now come on, posting bait like this isn't doing anyone any favors. If you can help JareBear find a source for it, that'd be great.

Again, check my thread, you cannot throw this under "sony never said that" with the amount of people that was misled.

adamsapple

Now come on, posting bait like this isn't doing anyone any favors. If you can help JareBear find a source for it, that'd be great.

Coolade

If a game runs on pro, technically it's "supported". I can't recall Sony ever coming out with a set of standards for "enhancements" that developers must adhere too. If someone can link an official source, I'm sure that would clear everything up...

I got an intense pushback because many people, you among, didn't like what I was saying.

And for what is worth, plenty of people back then didn't know support wasn't mandatory as can be read.

And my stance is that if Sony would have done the homework and placed the improvements on a system level then improvements wouldnt depend on dev implication and many people now wouldn't feel misled.

Letting aside the ridiculous 1080p support, we're starting to see big games with no support at all, Prey as an example, I'm sure that when I created the thread half a year ago everyone was expecting this, sure.

I'm not sure how you expect Sony or any other company to be able to make anyone support the Pro. They absolutely cannot. I agree with you in how Sony completely screwed up for 1080p users.

As for saying people didn't know that support wouldn't be mandatory, I have no idea why people would assume the opposite. Sony not saying whether it would be mandatory and even implying that it won't (saying that devs can use the power in what ever way they want) shouldn't equal people getting mad about "Sony's comm"

I love my Pro, but I think the whole premise was a rush job. I mean, during the stage reveal they showed a lot of Andromeda didn't they? That should tell you something.

Anyway, the best implementation IMO is Injustice 2. Damn fine Pro support!

Shari

I'm not sure how you expect Sony or any other company to be able to make anyone support the Pro. They absolutely cannot. I agree with you in how Sony completely screwed up for 1080p users.

As for saying people didn't know that support wouldn't be mandatory, I have no idea why people would assume the opposite. Sony not saying whether it would be mandatory and even implying that it won't (saying that devs can use the power in what ever way they want) shouldn't equal people getting mad about "Sony's comm"

Sony could have been more clear in what Pro is and isn't and what are devs responsibility towards publishing on the console, again, when you have this amount of people being misled you cannot just chalk it down to "people dunno how to read".

I agree with you that there's no way Sony could enforce support, that's why I was saying that this lack of support or lackluster support is Sony's fault for not implementing more system-wide features that would work no matter if the dev wants to support Pro or not.

Edit: I don't know how to write properly :S

adamsapple

I love my Pro, but I think the whole premise was a rush job. I mean, during the stage reveal they showed a lot of Andromeda didn't they? That should tell you something.

Anyway, the best implementation IMO is Injustice 2. Damn fine Pro support!

IMO, Rise of Tomb Raider .. one of the earliest .. is still the best implementation.

You get 4K mode, enhanced 1080p and an unlocked frame rate mode for those who want it. FFXV attempted something similar but they never addressed the frame pacing on the High quality mode so that's still a bummer.

Horizon on 4K though, that shit's just divine.

valkyre

Guys saying that Sony never promised the specific words I used in my post is just poor semantics imo...

Now if we pull this discussion to petty politician levels then yeah I guess Sony never specifically promised anything, except from that PDF leaked thing, so I am a sucker and Sony is just fine.

I honestly dont know what siding with Sony on this is going to do for you.

The support just sucks. Some games have worse framerate than OG PS4, other games have no support at all, a ton of games do not downsample... and we are here talking semantics as if this is important... doesnt that sound to you like poor salesman excuses bullshit?

I dont get it.

I for one do believe that Sony is able, having long term relationships with all these devs, and a very big market share, that they can -in good collaboration spirit- try to get something more in terms of supporting this console.

Persona 5 an exclusive has no support. Prey has no support I mean Pro does not even feel as an afterthought atm...

Eylos

Banned
Guys saying that Sony never promised the specific words I used in my post is just poor semantics imo...

Now if we pull this discussion to petty politician levels then yeah I guess Sony never specifically promised anything, except from that PDF leaked thing, so I am a sucker and Sony is just fine.

I honestly dont know what siding with Sony on this is going to do for you.

The support just sucks. Some games have worse framerate than OG PS4, other games have no support at all, a ton of games do not downsample... and we are here talking semantics as if this is important... doesnt that sound to you like poor salesman excuses bullshit?

I dont get it.

I for one do believe that Sony is able, having long term relationships with all these devs, and a very big market share, that they can -in good collaboration spirit- try to get something more in terms of supporting this console.

Persona 5 an exclusive has no support. Prey has no support I mean Pro does not even feel as an afterthought atm...

Persona 5 is in that Group of games that Was released in Japan before the pspro

But yeah about prey and Others its sad

valkyre

Persona 5 released in September. What are the exclusive games released after the Pro that don't have Pro support?

And Infamous Second Son was released back in March 2014 and yet got Pro support...

Come on now. Quite a few games got patched for Pro support even though they were released prior to the console. Persona 5 is an exclusive, it should have support.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Better question would be: which are not? Basically all of them are pre-rendered; except short in-game stuff.
Almost none of them are pre rendered. I think the only pre rendered things are the few seconds transitions between two entirely different scenes. I wish I could find someone's findings on this, that was posted here, but I believe it goes something like:

Cutscene is realtime -> transition reached, crossfade is pre-rendered -> continue with realtime after the first cut.

Curufinwe

And Infamous Second Son was released back in March 2014 and yet got Pro support...

Come on now. Quite a few games got patched for Pro support even though they were released prior to the console. Persona 5 is an exclusive, it should have support.

You do realize that Sony own the Infamous studio, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucker_Punch_Productions

They don't own Atlus, but you expect Sony to force them to provide Pro support for Persona 5, even when there is almost certainly no financial benefit for Atlus in doing so. Extra copies of P5 aren't going to fly off the shelves if it rendered in 4K. Seems like you need to a better job keeping your expectations in line with reality.

valkyre

You do realize that Sony own the Infamous studio, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucker_Punch_Productions

They don't own Atlus, but you expect Sony to force them to provide Pro support for Persona 5? Seems like you need to a better job keeping your expectations in line with reality.

There we go again with the "force" thing....

Either you dont read my posts or you just want to annoy me.

My expectations are for this system to be supported in a decent fashion. If those expectations sound so absolutely ridiculous to you, or far fetched, or beyond the spectrum of what is consider logical, then I suppose there is nothing we can do than stop the discussion right here.

If you are so happy with the whole situation and if you believe that Sony can do nothing/nada/niente about it unless they start engaging in blackmailing and extortion tactics, then again, no point debating this any further. We simply disagree and we move on.

Edit: Guerilla is also owned by Sony right? Yet Killzone Shadow Fall does not have Pro support. So it isnt just a matter of simply being owned by Sony or what not. If that were the case why would any 3rd party dev even bother with Pro anyway? They could just not give a fuck. (which some of them basically do, and that is because Sony doesnt seem to be giving many fucks about Pro support themselves either)

adamsapple

Pro feels like an afterthought because you named 2 games out of the 100+ that've come out with no Pro support since it's launch ?

Let's break it down some more. Persona 5, Yakuza 0 and Tales of Berseria, all 3 were originally released before the Pro even came out so there wasn't any expectation for them to have dedicated Pro support, it's up to the developers. Prey doesn't have Pro support but Bethesda have committed to more updates in the future, Shadow Warrior 2 doesn't have Pro support, one of the recent sniper games didn't have Pro support.

That's a total of 5, 6 retail games without Pro support. Now go back to the OP of this topic and look at the list of games which do. The list is only increasing with new games. Even if it's mandated or not mandated, pretty much all new releases have Pro support in one way or another and some developers are kind enough to update their older games with retroactive Pro support. That part is purely on the developer.

Almost none of them are pre rendered. I think the only pre rendered things are the few seconds transitions between two entirely different scenes. I wish I could find someone's findings on this, that was posted here, but I believe it goes something like:

Cutscene is realtime -> transition reached, crossfade is pre-rendered -> continue with realtime after the first cut.

DF mentions this in their Uncharted 4 tech breakdown, that unlike the past games, almost all scenes are now real time with some exceptions for transition scenes whenever the game fades/cuts to a whole another geographical location.

valkyre

Pro feels like an afterthought because you named 2 games out of the 100+ that've come out with Pro support since it's launch ?

So, please tell me what would satisfy you? A complete break down of the 100+ games?

Is using 2 examples a bad thing now? It has to be a complete breakdown list? Do I have to spend 5 hours to make a simple point? Good God...

You want more examples of bad PS4 Pro support?

For starters, include in that list all those games that do not downsample. Then include those that run in 4K mode but with serious framerate issues, sometimes worse than OG PS4 performance. Even worse these games do not even offer a petty 1080 mode just to have a decent performance. No they lock you in 4k mode with shit framerate. Then include these with no support at all. And so on and so forth.

I am not going to break that down for you in further detail. It is not worth my time.

The thing that most impresses me is how some of you feel so eager to go into the defensive here...

as if having valid complaints and being vocal about poor support is something that will eventually somehow HURT you.

Dont get it really.

Curufinwe

Someone trying to pretend that a few JRPGs that released before the Pro came out not having Pro support is a big black mark on Sony is hilarious.

KaiserBecks

Pro feels like an afterthought because you named 2 games out of the 100+ that've come out with no Pro support since it's launch ?

There's "support" and there's support. From my experience, boost mode helped with GTA and Rainbow Six somewhat (both games are still getting content updates though, so I don't quite understand why the devs are practically ignoring the Pro), and the Pro Patches made a noticeable difference in both performance and quality for Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2. But that's practically it for me. I bought a Pro mainly for PSVR, so I won't complain, but lots of devs are "supporting" the Pro, yet few seem make an actual effort.

valkyre

Someone trying to pretend that a few JRPGs that released before the Pro came out not having Pro support is a big black mark on Sony is hilarious.

What is more hilarious is you trying to pretend that I ever considered any of this a big black mark...like a huge problem for Sony or my life atm... Next thing you know someone will give me the number of a support group.

Curufinwe

What is more hilarious is you trying to pretend that I ever considered any of this a big black mark...like a huge problem in my life atm... Next thing you know someone will give me the number of a support group.

Your post history is there for all to see and speaks for itself.

adamsapple

So, please tell me what would satisfy you? A complete break down of the 100+ games?

Is using 2 examples a bad thing now? It has to be a complete breakdown list? Do I have to spend 5 hours to make a simple point? Good God...

You want more examples of bad PS4 Pro support?

For starters, include in that list all those games that do not downsample. Then include those that run in 4K mode but with serious framerate issues, sometimes worse than OG PS4 performance. Even worse these games do not even offer a petty 1080 mode just to have a decent performance. No they lock you in 4k mode with shit framerate. Then include these with no support at all. And so on and so forth.

I am not going to break that down for you in further detail. It is not worth my time.

The thing that most impresses me is how some of you feel so eager to go into the defensive here...

as if having valid complaints and being vocal about poor support is something that will eventually somehow HURT you.

Dont get it really.

General super sampling is something developers can flag, but yes that's something sony can add to the OS like they did Boost mode. There's probably going to be more firmware updates, so keep an eye out on future updates.

No Pro game running at higher resolutions runs worse than OG now, notable cases when their patches first came out were Watch Dogs 2 and Skyrim PS4, both of which have had multiple performance updates since then and work better now (reportedly).

No one's being vocal or hurt, but your comments about the support of all the other developers being an afterthought is frankly disrespectful to them. I mentioned the 100+ Pro supported games in the OP to highlight the growing number, not so we can start dissecting each one of them.

The device just came out a couple of months ago, the library of Pro enhanced games will only increase from here. What you're feeling is probably the symptoms of being an early adapter, but if you've already got a Pro, you should rest assured you have the best version of a PS4 currently available in the market.

There's "support" and there's support. From my experience, boost mode helped with GTA and Rainbow Six somewhat (both games are still getting content updates though, so I don't quite understand why the devs are practically ignoring the Pro), and the Pro Patches made a noticeable difference in both performance and quality for Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2. But that's practically it for me. I bought a Pro mainly for PSVR, so I won't complain, but lots of devs are "supporting" the Pro, yet few seem make an actual effort.

It's unfortunate but patching for Pro is something up to the respective developer. In some cases I guess not all studios have the appropriate resources to. Frictional Games released a patch to address some game crashing bugs Soma was having with boost mode, they didn't issue a proper Pro patch, but just a patch to fix the Boost mode related glitch, that's something I guess.

I would absolutely love it if R* buckles up and releases a proper GTA V Pro patch. Solid 30 FPS with higher resolutions ? sign me the fuck up.

valkyre

General super sampling is something developers can flag, but yes that's something sony can add to the OS like they did Boost mode. There's probably going to be more firmware updates, so keep an eye out on future updates.

No Pro game running at higher resolutions runs worse than OG now, notable cases when their patches first came out were Watch Dogs 2 and Skyrim PS4, both of which have had multiple performance updates since then and work better now (reportedly).

No one's being vocal or hurt, but your comments about the support of all the other developers being an afterthought is frankly disrespectful to them. I mentioned the 100+ Pro supported games in the OP to highlight the growing number, not so we can start dissecting each one of them.

The device just came out a couple of months ago, the library of Pro enhanced games will only increase from here. What you're feeling is probably the symptoms of being an early adapter, but if you've already got a Pro, you should rest assured you have the best version of a PS4 currently available in the market.

It is true that early adoption of hardware should have expectations in check. I agree. Which is why I waited so many months before expressing disappointment in this thread.

But you know what is "bothering" me most? (I am using the "" because some people here might think I am about to jump of a cliff or something)

The fact that even games who are supported do not give options and decide to lock you up on a specific mode. For example MEA has hideous performance. Ok I will not debate how much of a great work that PS4 Pro support is (fans go crazy with that game and I am not convinced they were meticulous about it) but they dont even offer you a measly 1080p mode just to get better framerates. How hard can that be?

Then we have situations like FFXV where they release a 60 fps mode (which is nowhere near 60 fps) and simultaneously lets you choose over high fluctuating framerate mode or framepacing mode. Sure they fixed it now but it took them months.

Then you have dishonored 2 cases or other games that do not downsample at all and you get virtually 0 benefits.

Like I said there are gems out there, of proper support Tomb Raider, No Mans Sky, Surge all these are what Pro support should be.

But instead I find myself looking at mostly sloppy support, hence the "afterthought" comment. Prey was the last offender to me.

I agree that games like KZ:SF and GTAV would greatly benefit from a Pro patch.

Hell, this game is still selling like hot cakes: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/02/07/grand-theft-auto-5-has-now-sold-in-75-million-copies

Does anyone honestly think that Rockstar could not afford it? They even release free DLC for a reason...

Regarding Killzone, I understand that Guerrilla was busy with Horizon Zero Dawn, but then again, isn't ND busy with Uncharted Lost Legacy & TLOU2? ;)

I don't understand why games like Homefront The Revolution (it hasn't sold that well) have a Pro patch and others don't...

philm87

I'm disappointed that there are a few games out there that I wanted to have support but don't. Would have loved the Witcher 3, and also higher res on Dark Souls 3. Overall I think it's been good value though from the games I've played with really good support. These being:
- Ratchet and Clank
- Fifa 17
- Skyrim
- The Division
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- Uncharted 4
- No Man's Sky
- Firewatch
- Battlefield 1
- Diablo 3
- Mafia 3
- Rocket League
That's a lot of enhanced gaming for an extra £100, plus loads of already released games I want to play such as Nioh and WatchDogs 2.
Boost mode also makes Just Cause 3 a lot better.

DomLando

Does Mortal Kombat XL have any sort of pro support? I've read contradicting things about using Boost mode while playing as well. Should I not be using Boost mode for the game?

adamsapple

Does Mortal Kombat XL have any sort of pro support? I've read contradicting things about using Boost mode while playing as well. Should I not be using Boost mode for the game?

I searched and couldn't find anything negative on MKX in any of the boost mode topics. Generally, if someone was having issues, it'd have been reported. Soma had some issues initially but the developer actually patched the game so it didn't crash with Boost mode.

I'd say leave Boost mode on all the time, at worst you'll have the exact same experience as the Base mode, at best you'll see improvements in loading times and ironing out frame rate/tearing hitches.

I don't understand why games like Homefront The Revolution (it hasn't sold that well) have a Pro patch and others don't...

You could say some devs probably use it to sell more copies of the game. Or, for example, Homefront runs on a multiplatform engine, so it's probably easier to scale to different specs. GTA V runs on a proprietary engine was may or may not require a lot more work in comparison. In either way, at the very least Boost mode helps iron out frame rate hitches in GTA and helps is stay to 30 FPS a lot better.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I'm at a point now where I want return on my Pro investment which basically forced me to buy a 4k tv with HDR support. So when any new games are announced, I immediately look for Pro support or non-support. If it's non-support like Prey and Shadow Warrior 2, no buy from me. I've self mandated that if I'm going to buy a PS4 game at this point, I want Pro support.

Some of the finer Pro supported games I own:

TitanFall 2
(amazing Pro support imho),

The Last of Us Remastered(great Pro support)

Ghost Recon: Wildlands(really nice support by Ubi),

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare(haters be damned, the SP campaign was fun and the Pro support is great),

Diablo 3(wow...the resolution bump and framerate.....great Pro support from Blizzard and sorry, it plays better with a controller(and that's from someone who also plays it with on PC with a mouse and keyboard! /sticks tongue out),

Mass Effect: Andromeda(they're patching it still but the Pro support is really nice),

Horizon Zero Dawn(no explanation needed)

Ratchet and Clank(up there with Horizon Zero Dawn, if you own a Pro-get this game)

Uncharted 4(it was already beautiful but the Pro support is great)

Infamous Second Son and Infamous First Light
(again, if you own a Pro, get these!)

Abzu(currently free for PS4+ members and nice Pro support)

Shadow of Mordor Game of the Year Edition
(Pro support makes this game even better)

BulletStorm: Full Clip(it does appear to be 4k native and 60fps on Pro and let's face it, one of the best, funnest FPS since Duke Nukem 3D imho)

No Man's Sky
(Hated it. Re-bought when they patched in more stuff and Pro support-almost an entirely different game now and they didn't skimp on Pro stuff for all the hate Hello Games got)

Final Fantasy XV(Great Pro support though I'm just not getting into the weird humor/dialog...it just seems pretty funky to me but damn if it doesn't play and look great on Pro)

Some folks didn't like parts of what you were saying because they were provoking and unwarranted, which is why you ended up apologizing for your wording and retracting them. But at least four actual developers simply stated you were incorrect, to some extent or another. It's shocking you'd try to characterize the response to your arguments as only emotional and baseless.

Again, check my thread, you cannot throw this under "sony never said that" with the amount of people that was misled.
If Sony in fact never said it, I can most certainly categorize it as something they never said. That people make mistakes doesn't touch the content of what they're responding to. It's false to say people were misled by Sony's presentation. This is easily shown by the fact that multiple people in your thread did know support wouldn't be mandatory.

I stand by every word I wrote.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I expected it. This was only bolstered by the fact that Dishonored 2 launched immediately with desultory support, and many hundreds of games, even recent ones, got no retroactive patches. Games with no official support were out right at launch, and the first big game with no support at all released in December. So yes, this reality has been true since then.

Look at the Boost Mode post at the beginning of this thread. By definition, every title in there has no official enhancements on Pro. There have been games released past Pro launch added regularly to this list. Prey and Shadow Warrior 2 do not herald a new trend (though Prey is notable because it actually is misleading, given the packaging's false claims of Pro enhancement).

Like I said there are gems out there, of proper support Tomb Raider, No Mans Sky, Surge all these are what Pro support should be.

But instead I find myself looking at mostly sloppy support, hence the "afterthought" comment. Prey was the last offender to me.
Prey is very bad, because they claimed Pro enhancements and then didn't have any. For the rest, I can only repeat what I've said before. You have every right to set your own personal expectations for support, and be disappointed if they aren't reached. But you can't blame Sony for not meeting expectations that you set, not them. You can ask them to do otherwise, hope for more, and so on...but it's perverse to fault them for doing exactly what they said they would.

For the exact same reasons that not every PS4 game looks like Uncharted 4 and Horizon. Each developer, and each project, has varying pools of resources. They each encounter different challenges, both internal to development and external from publishers or the market. What they decide on and can afford to support will vary, and not always in a predictable manner.

You'll see that Mortal Kombat XL is in the OP as "no benefits in Boost Mode". This is because it does not have any official Pro enhancements, so there's no rise in resolution. However, the game on standard PS4 already ran at essentially locked 60/30fps, so Boost Mode doesn't do anything for performance.

The one caveat here is that I do not mention loading time improvements, for reasons explained in the OP. So Boost Mode may speed those up.

No Man's Sky
(Hated it. Re-bought when they patched in more stuff and Pro support-almost an entirely different game now and they didn't skimp on Pro stuff for all the hate Hello Games got)

I finally got it from that sale a couple weeks ago. Been enjoying it since, but yeah, the HDR is excellent in that game. So much color, and so many. At least on my TV.

It was like night and day when I turned HDR off on the TV just to see how much difference it was making.

adamsapple

I finally got it from that sale a couple weeks ago. Been enjoying it since, but yeah, the HDR is excellent in that game. So much color, and so many. At least on my TV.

It was like night and day when I turned HDR off on the TV just to see how much difference it was making.

Is the current version of the game, fully patched and all, worth it for a single player experience ? I know the game doesn't have a 'story mode' but is the general experience worth it you'd say ?

Toe-Knee

Is the current version of the game, fully patched and all, worth it for a single player experience ? I know the game doesn't have a 'story mode' but is the general experience worth it you'd say ?

Id say yes. But I also saps that at launch. It's a really nice relaxing experience.

Toe-Knee

Id say yes. But I also said that at launch. It's a really nice relaxing experience.

I have nothing to compare it to since I didn't play it before, but it has been for me at the around $20 I got it for. I'd say you still definitely need to be someone who wants to zen and explore just because you can, and enjoy taking in new unique scenery/life forms etc, maybe getting some interesting adversarial conditions on a new planet. And have time to do so.

It's absolutely a stunner for me with a PS4 Pro and a Samsung KS8000 calibrated just how I like it. Pound for pound it might be the best HDR use so far imo.

First time I broke orbit into space, seeing the curvature of a planet and being able to enter/exit freely... it kind of blew my mind. Played about 25 hours the last 2 weeks and have had a ton of fun for my money. I'm getting a bit distracted by other games again, but still want to go back and find an ideal planet to transfer my base to. There's really fun vehicles that I want to put to good use on a planet with more resources/points of interest, and less canyons, so I can haul ass.

I'm trying to be cautiously enthusiastic and not set you up for disappointment though. I waited for a sale to come around again, you probably might want to too.

DapperSloth

Thanks to everyone for your help with the settings! Really kind of you. I have already HDR activated on the TV and PS4 Pro so that's taken care off. So... the "Performance Mode" is good with increasing details/shadows/quality but the resolution to 4K (4K Mode) is preferred and makes it slightly better than "Performance Mode" because the resolution bump itself already takes care of the AA and you get crisp IQ is what I have gathered here.

I will buy Horizon: Zero Dawn as my next game and it will be very nice to see all the praise the game gets with the visuals and gamewise!

Tyaren

This is false. Performance mode does have visual enhancements and that is confirmed stone cold fact.

You're Wrong.

First of all, please calm down with the "this is false", " you are wrong" stuff. We are not in kindergarten.
At first I thought I should even completely ignore your post, but it seems you do have a chip on your shoulder considering you attacked me in another thread and outright accused me of boldly lying there.
Let's stick to a more friendly and productive form of discussion here on Neogaf, alright?

Now to Horizon's performance mode:
I am aware that the developer stated there are visual enhancements in performance mode, but I don't think these enhancements are actually proven as stone cold fact yet.
I have been following this game and its Pro modes as one of the first here on Neogaf (luckily got the game very early) and I have also contributed to the discussion in this and various others threads.
I did for example share these direct comparisons of the 4K checkerboarding and performance mode in this very thread before:

PS4 Pro 4K checkerboarding mode:

32261659204_79e839a5f6_o.png

PS4 Pro performance mode:

32950680802_284e5a873f_o.png

(To best compare these two shots open both in their own browser tab and click back and forth.)

Textures are of lower resolution and detail (visible on rocks and snow patches on rocks) in performance mode and there is poorer texture filtering (visible on the dirt road in the medium to far distance).
If the game has actually enhanced textures and texture filtering in performance mode (which are stated as the main visual improvements in this mode), why is there still such a considerable difference? You would think in a 1080p mode with locked 30fps there would actually be some power left to really improve the visuals, even more than it is possible in 4K mode, like a game such as Tomb Raider does. This is clearly not the case here.
Now, I don't have a direct comparison screen of the standard PS4 version, but considering how close and already really pretty the standard version looks compared to the 4K Pro version, I remain unconvinced the Pro performance mode has considerable visual improvements over the standard PS4 version or the same visual improvements as the 4K mode (minus resolution of course).

Since you say I am wrong and calling me a bold faced liar in another thread, it is now your turn to convince me with facts. Just quoting the developer, or anyone else, without any visual proof will not be very convincing though.

adamsapple

^ Ok that's an eye opening comparison. At the least I wasn't expecting things like texture filtering to be LOWER in the 1080p Performance mode. The super sampled image looks sharper as it is but the better texture quality on it is the icing on the cake.

Really makes me wonder what exactly the Performance mode does. It's not like the 4K mode had performance dips. At most, maybe it drops to 29 FPS at best as per the DF video, but not much else.

I'm hoping they tweak the Performance mode more with future updates. Add an option to unlock frame rate at 1080p so we can see how far the performance can really be pushed.

Top Bottom