• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS4 Pro enhanced games (native support and boosted)

philm87

Thats the issue, games are under the same HDR constraints as films now, I highlighted the bolded, and when metadata comes down the pipe, they will not have to compromise. HDR in game is not dynamic.

Cool thanks for clearing that up, wasn't sure where the HDR element fitted into the rendering process.

MikeBison

Playing through Prey now as I waited until finishing Persona 5. Really disappointing that it has no Pro support.

Would be one of the rare times where I would choose an 'increased performance' mode to smooth things out.

Surprised we don't have any screens for The Surge yet but then again, DF did do a great analysis video on the game. I'll just post some anyways lol.

Performance:
mygreatcapturescreensgkkzy.png

thesurge_201705301856v5j0e.png

Quality:
mygreatcapturescreens29jy2.png

thesurge_201705301903mrkkz.png

Planet

The concern trolling he probably meant was more the twist some people put in that - obviously - Pro support is dying out and future games will have more and more often none of it.

Draikin 2

Thanks for the post. I actually used your article as a resource months ago when compiling this thread. It was very helpful, with detailed observations that are unfortunately still not the norm for Pro reviews. I really appreciate the work! I believe all the notes you made have been present in my lists since last year: improved reflections and character models, no downsampling, and 90fps versus 60fps in VR. Is there something I missed?
My apologies, I somehow missed the Project DIVA X section in your post. It's great to hear you found the article useful! I think you've mentioned everything in your summary. For PlayStation VR howver, I don't think there's actually any difference in reflections and shadow quality as opposed to regular gameplay. In fact, reflections are usually removed altogether from the stages in VR. So the only improvement in VR for Project DIVA X and VR Future Live are (to my knowledge) the 90fps, and a somewhat higher resolution.

Do we know if Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2 has any pro-specific features (higher res or something else)? Can't find anything online.
It's basically an expansion to the original Revelator (which had no official support, and already ran at locked 60fps so Boost Mode did nothing). So I would not expect official Pro support...though I don't know anything definitively.

So the only improvement in VR for Project DIVA X and VR Future Live are (to my knowledge) the 90fps, and a somewhat higher resolution.
Thanks a lot for the further information! I've updated the thread to reflect your findings.

Some Tekken 7 shots from my Pro.
Much appreciated!

I've updated the OP with new games, as well as some alterations to old ones. As always, any contributions of shots, video, or impressions are greatly beneficial. I can't do this without outside help, so especially if you have info on games that don't appear in the OP, or are on the check list, I'd be grateful for assistance.

Let me know if you have any suggestions or comments, and thanks again!

mileS

Started playing FFXV last night on my pro. I tried my best to ignore the framepacing on high mode but I can't do it. I thought I would have to play on steady mode but honestly, I find that pretty juddery as well. I was thinking there was a huge difference between High and Lite for some reason. Maybe there is on a 4k set but on my 1080p monitor Lite mode still looks pretty freakin good. One of my biggest complaints about Lite mode is the AF, or the complete lack of it.... Blows my mind thats an issue on PS4 but on PC its the cheapest to max just about 99% of the time. I don't mind the constant jump between 40-60 fps. Maybe its years and years of PC gaming experience running games at the same framerate jumps. It just doesn't bother me nearly as much as the framepacing. I know some people make a huge deal about it.

B D Joe

Started playing FFXV last night on my pro. I tried my best to ignore the framepacing on high mode but I can't do it. I thought I would have to play on steady mode but honestly, I find that pretty juddery as well. I was thinking there was a huge difference between High and Lite for some reason. Maybe there is on a 4k set but on my 1080p monitor Lite mode still looks pretty freakin good. One of my biggest complaints about Lite mode is the AF, or the complete lack of it.... Blows my mind thats an issue on PS4 but on PC its the cheapest to max just about 99% of the time. I don't mind the constant jump between 40-60 fps. Maybe its years and years of PC gaming experience running games at the same framerate jumps. It just doesn't bother me nearly as much as the framepacing. I know some people make a huge deal about it.

Sadly the game was better at launch as the lite mode was pretty much a 30fps lock so played well. Then for some strange reason they unlocked the frame rate and now the framepacing and totally uneven frame rate makes it unplayable in my opinion

Tyaren

Sadly the game was better at launch as the lite mode was pretty much a 30fps lock so played well. Then for some strange reason they unlocked the frame rate and now the framepacing and totally uneven frame rate makes it unplayable in my opinion

Isn't there a third option since the latest patch, where they brought back the locked 30fps mode?

Any word on the Pro enhancements for Dirt 4 yet? Codemasters mentioned this a week ago:

We have made a number of improvements for PlayStation 4 Pro. These include: Increased MSAA on the scene rendering, increased shadow map resolution, increased Image Based Lighting reflection resolution and accuracy. We have also increased the environment map resolution. The mirror rendering has MSAA enabled on Pro while the base PS4 doesn't have MSAA at all.

But no word yet on resolution or framerate improvements.

mileS

Isn't there a third option since the latest patch, where they brought back the locked 30fps mode?

Yeah there is. I just like the new lite mode (unlocked) because there is no framepacing and I'm used to playing older PC games @ 40-60 fps with jumps in between all the time. I find the unlocked mode makes the insane animation really shine.

Also don't want to start this again but it seems like the locked 30fps mode (steady) has a bit of framepacing as well... it doesn't seem like a smooth 30fps thats for sure. Maybe its a lack of good motion blur when moving the camera around?

What's the situation with wipeout?
They announced that it would be dynamic 4K, but I've been unable to find any screenshots that were upscaled (even just horizontal scaling). Everything I've seen has been native 4K. But this doesn't mean there aren't any segments of lower res, because I've obviously only looked at a very small proportion of the whole experience.

Note also that VG Tech has claimed that the Pro image is checkerboarded. But I do not personally see any of the usual telltale CBR artifacts. So I think it's not reconstructed, but it's only fair to mention that someone else believes it to be so.

But no word yet on resolution or framerate improvements.
It is 1080p 60fps on base ps4 so it will probably be 1080p with the enhancements they said on psr pro with 60fps.
Yes, that should be correct. There's very little material to look at so far, but I believe the only benefit is slightly fewer instances of lowered dynamic resolution. So that's what I've posted, but it should be taken with a huge pinch of salt. I could easily be mistaken; this is more tentative than my usual posts.

In addition to those titles, I've added a couple more to both official support and Boost Mode. Keep the videos, screenshots, and impressions coming, and I'll keep up as I can. I'd especially appreciate more DiRT 4 and Wipeout info, to correct any mistakes I might've made. Thanks!

Kemal86

The exact phrasing of the Darksiders 2 patch:

+ Playstation 4 Pro support and support for 4k displays
+ Playstation 4 Pro only: 'Improved shadows' video option (disable for improved performance)

BigEmil

The exact phrasing of the Darksiders 2 patch:

+ Playstation 4 Pro support and support for 4k displays
+ Playstation 4 Pro only: 'Improved shadows' video option (disable for improved performance)
Ah they could've tried to get it to 60fps like Darksiders 1 on Pro eh

I think I read that it's native 4K when motion blur is disabled, and CBR when it is enabled. Can't verify that at the moment though.

Yeah correct, WipEout Omega Collection is:

2160p Native + 4x8 EQAA anti-aliasing with motion blur off.

2160p checkerboard rendering with motion blur on.

60fps locked on each mode. Downsampling for 1080p TV's and great use of HDR too.

DF said it's one of the best PS4 Pro games available.

joeblow

As a HUGE WipEout fan, I am dying to get it (especially with the nees it downsamples on the Pro for HDTVs). Too bad I have to wait until July 9th when the PSN promotion kicks in to buy it.

As a HUGE WipEout fan, I am dying to get it (especially with the nees it downsamples on the Pro for HDTVs). Too bad I have to wait until July 9th when the PSN promotion kicks in to buy it.

Only a casual Wipeout fan, but I'm hype and that's the same thing I'm doing.

Wouldda got it physical from Amazon for the 20% discount, but after tax, it was only going to be a $4 difference, and a slick racing game that doesn't take up tons of space is something I can enjoy having digital for convenience. Hop in whenever, no disc swap.

With the promo coming up, it's perfect cart filler to hit $100 with.

BigEmil

Killing floor 2 are HDR and 4K compatible , no ?
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps.../1100-6445106/
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2016...ns-november-4/
PS4 Pro has allowed us to take Killing Floor 2’s visuals to the next level of fidelity. Resolution, memory, and performance are the three key ways the PS4 Pro enhances Killing Floor 2.

First on the point of resolution for players that have a 4K TV and a PS4 Pro. Killing Floor 2 runs at a higher 1800p resolution that is then upscaled to 4K 2160p resolution, unlocking the gaming potential of your 4K screen. The extra resolution increases overall environment, weapon, and character detail beyond what is perceivable on a 1080p display.

Environment details such as foliage and distant level meshes have a new level of definition. Enemies (Zeds) in the world seen at medium to long distances have many more pixels defining them, making it just a bit easier to get that head shot. Killing Floor 2’s over-the-top gore system has never looked better with persistent blood reflecting the world and characters in high resolution.

The extra memory on PS4 Pro allows us to activate our ultra textures that have higher resolution over the standard PS4. The ultra textures add extra surface detail to everything in the game including first-person weapons, arms, zeds, and the levels themselves.

These high-res textures will be used whether the player is playing on a 4K TV or a standard 1080p display.

In addition to the ultra textures, the extra memory allowed us to increase our dynamic shadow resolution. Killing Floor 2’s custom deferred renderer uses a number of shadowing techniques including dynamic shadows. When these dynamic shadows are used they will be crisper and higher resolution on PS4 Pro then the standard PS4.

When playing on a 1080p TV, Killing Floor 2 is effectively super sampled, resulting in much higher quality and smoother anti-aliasing.

All of this is achieved without compromising on performance. Killing Floor 2 runs at an increased frame rate when using a PS4 Pro on a 1080p display. Whether you have a 4K or 1080p TV, Killing Floor 2 is going to look amazing on a PS4 Pro.

At Tripwire we love being at the forefront of emerging technology and strive for our games to be as visually stunning as possible. Looking to the future, it’s exciting to know that we can develop on such powerful hardware that allows us to unlock our true artistic and creative vision, and not have to compromise. This is the first time we’ve had a major hardware upgrade during a platform cycle that adds a lot more potential but doesn’t split the player base, since all PS4’s are compatible with each other. It’s also exciting that as virtual reality becomes more widely adopted, we’ll have hardware that can support its demanding performance and resolution requirements.
Runs at native 1800p 60fps then checkerboards upto 2160p with supersampling available to 1080p TV users, increased LOD, texture resolution uses ultra textures, no mention of HDR, increased dynamic shadows etc Killing Floor 2 has great PS4 Pro support

Darksiders 2 just got a Pro patch that adds 4K and better shadows.
Thanks! I couldn't find any screenshots to analyze what the actual resolution is, so this isn't added yet. If you can post 4K shots, that'd be great! Otherwise, I'll need to wait until some show up.

The Surge patched in HDR today!
Thanks for the update, I've added this info.

I think I read that it's native 4K when motion blur is disabled, and CBR when it is enabled. Can't verify that at the moment though.
Yeah correct....
Thanks for the details, Digital Foundry's findings make sense of the discrepancy between VG Tech and myself. And nice to know I'm not the only one who couldn't find any drops under native resolution!

Killing floor 2 are HDR and 4K compatible , no ?
Sort of. The game does not support HDR at all. It is "4K compatible" in the sense that it renders at a much higher resolution (3200x1800) via CBR, then upscales to 4K. Though this means image quality isn't as high as native 4K--or even native 1800p--it's quite a bit better than a simple upscale from 1080p as with non-Pro games.

Runs at native 1800p 60fps then checkerboards upto 2160p....
I think it might help to read my thread about how CBR works as linked in the OP. Your description of how Killing Floor 2 renders is not correct. It actually uses CBR to create a 3200x1800 frame, then uses standard upscaling to reach 3840x2160.

More generally and importantly, games using CBR do not use reprojection as a final upscaling-esque operation to get a buffer "up to" some higher number. Instead, it's a method of determining the proper values to fill in a frame that has been sampled sparsely. It's impossible for CBR to take a game from 1800p to 2160c.

Top Bottom