• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS4 Pro enhanced games (native support and boosted)

Vashetti

Banned
We can add another one to the pile of no downsampling. :/ Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana is native(?) 4K and 60fps on PS4 Pro on 4k TVs and basically the standard PS4 version on HDTVs with a 1080p resolution and 60fps.

Thanks, I'll add it to my thread.

Any infos about Life is Strange: Before the Storm support for PS4 Pro? I bet no support at all since Sony isn't tight with mandating support for their new console while Microsoft is.

III-V

Yes, it is. Internal framebuffers have supported HDR for more than a decade. It doesn't matter if displays couldn't show more than 8-bit.

Please explain how is that different from a computation perspective.
Not the same, do your HDR homework.

HDR is more than bit rate is greater than 8 bits.
Also, wider color gamut, and a much much larger color volume overall. also 'gamma' has been replaced with a different scale of absolute levels never previously used.

tombo85

Any infos about Life is Strange: Before the Storm support for PS4 Pro? I bet no support at all since Sony isn't tight with mandating support for their new console while Microsoft is.
I don't think Microsoft is mandating it so much, but their system wide approach that will enhance all games will hopefully make the difference and maybe get Sony to implement a similar process.

Not the same, do your HDR homework.

HDR is more than bit rate is greater than 8 bits.
Also, wider color gamut, and a much much larger color volume overall. also 'gamma' has been replaced with a different scale of absolute levels never previously used.
I've done my homework long time ago.

A wider color gamut requires more bits per channel...

kikiribu

This is gonna sound like a silly question but does HDR show up in screen shots captured on PS4 or is it only visible on your HDR TV?

I mean it has the "PS4 Pro Enhanced" logo plastered next to it on the PS Store, at least in EU. So there's definitely something. Haven't played it yet though.

I see no reason so far to believe that support levels will be very different. Microsoft has fewer games announced with One X support for 2017 than Sony did for 2016.

I don't think Microsoft is mandating it so much, but their system wide approach that will enhance all games will hopefully make the difference and maybe get Sony to implement a similar process.
The Pro already does this. The enhancement per game may not be as much since One X is more powerful, but Sony's approach is just as universal.

I mean it has the "PS4 Pro Enhanced" logo plastered next to it on the PS Store, at least in EU. So there's definitely something.
This actually isn't a guarantee. The tag has been present on two games without support. This is a very small proportion, but it's not impossible.

Fukuzatsu

The Pro already does this. The enhancement per game may not be as much since One X is more powerful, but Sony's approach is just as universal.

Speaking of, does PS4 Pro have any kind of automatic anisotropic filtering boost for non-patched games? That and, I'm sure this has been asked a stupid amount of times, but do patched games automatically downsample on 1080p screens?

I can verify for you btw Sparc has improved resolution and bloom on the Pro vs regular PS4.
Great, thanks! Where did you get this info? If you're the source, can you post comparison screenshots or video? Thanks a lot!

Speaking of, does PS4 Pro have any kind of automatic anisotropic filtering boost for non-patched games? That and, I'm sure this has been asked a stupid amount of times, but do patched games automatically downsample on 1080p screens?
Pro does not provide either of these things automatically. Downsampling occurs in the large majority of higher-res games, but it's not universal. (Note that this isn't always a bad thing; some enhanced games are arguably better without downsampling due to what else they offer.) Improved AF does happen, but only when the dev patches the game--though see below.

For unpatched games, Pro only improves things that were allowed to change freely in the game to begin with. So most games have better framerates, and titles with dynamic resolution run at higher sizes. Rarely, other graphical effects were variable depending on load, and Pro improves them too, even if unpatched. So motion blur is better in Driveclub, AF seems to improve in Syberia 3, and texture loading is faster in several titles. (Loading times in general are shorter for all games, even unpatched, but I assume you were asking about graphical changes.)

Gitaroo

No but I wish it does; even 8xaf is good enough. Pro does have increased bandwidth than the ps4, since effects and resolution are untouch the extra bandwidth plus delta color compression should allow it to do that.

SamNW

I have some ideas already, but I'm getting a Pro next week and wondering what games folks suggest for testing it out. Essentially, what are some of the best, biggest, and most noticeable/impressive upgrades? I have a 4K/HDR set (TCL P605), so everything is on the table.

Cheers!

I have some ideas already, but I'm getting a Pro next week and wondering what games folks suggest for testing it out. Essentially, what are some of the best, biggest, and most noticeable/impressive upgrades? I have a 4K/HDR set (TCL P605), so everything is on the table.

Cheers!
Horizon
Ratchet & Clank
Resident Evil 7
Uncharted 4/The Lost Legacy
Injustice 2

Cheers!

Naughty Dog games, easily. Second Son and First Light too. Neon powers are absolutely stunning.

Murdoch

Reading through this thread makes me wish they would have skipped the ps pro and made ps5 in a few years with back compatibility. The whole thing is a huge mess with caveats and asterisk's everywhere :-/

BHK3

Banned

Cheers!

Infamous Second Son and First Light are THE demo games for HDR. Your eyes will melt.

Reading through this thread makes me wish they would have skipped the ps pro and made ps5 in a few years with back compatibility. The whole thing is a huge mess with caveats and asterisk's everywhere :-/

eh, I just wish they made it strong enough to run all games in at least 4K 30. Sub-native games stick out like a sore thumb since I sit pretty close to the tv

SamNW

Thanks, y'all! Keep 'em coming.

I've never touched Second Son or First Light, but they're both sitting in my library, so maybe now would be a good time to give them a try. Just finished The Lost Legacy, but playing through a couple chapters again is definitely high on the list.

bryanee

Agents of Mayhem doesn't have HDR. Well there was no option for it and it never turned on when I played through it. Every other game I have with HDR works fine.

Cheers!
A lot of people are saying the infamous games but imo they look way too dark on the tv your getting. I would recommend horizon, the witness and resident evil 7. Resogun looks great too. I own this tvvanf those were the games that impressed me the most.

Jedi2016

A lot of people are saying the infamous games but imo they look way too dark on the tv your getting.
They are dark in general, but the whole point of HDR is that, even if it's dark, you can still see everything clearly. That was the biggest difference switching to HDR on several games once I got a HDR TV... detail that had previously been nothing but crushed blacks before was now perfectly visible, even though it didn't actually get any brighter.

HDR isn't about "brightest brights" or "darkest blacks"... don't listen to the marketing bullshit, it's aimed at people that don't know how video works. HDR is about the range of brightness between pure black and pure white. Movies actually demonstrate the difference far more than games do, IMO.

Toe-Knee

A lot of people are saying the infamous games but imo they look way too dark on the tv your getting. I would recommend horizon, the witness and resident evil 7. Resogun looks great too. I own this tvvanf those were the games that impressed me the most.

That's actually a gamma slider in the games now so you can balance them out.

I'm still astounded to this day that every first-party PS4 game doesn't have Pro support.

Where's Killzone Shadowfall? Tearaway Unfolded? Nathan Drake Collection?

Bloodborne, Until Dawn, GoW3, Driveclub, Beyond/Heavy Rain remaster, etc

It's pretty sad they didn't patch all of their games for their own hardware.

Vashetti

Banned
Bloodborne, Until Dawn, GoW3, Driveclub, Beyond/Heavy Rain remaster, etc

It's pretty sad they didn't patch all of their games for their own hardware.

Says a lot to third parties that the maker of the hardware can't be bothered to patch all their own software for it.

Shin-Ra

I think it says to third parties that depending on the circumstances of the specific developer and their current project(s) they’ll let them divert some manpower for an update (Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog) or focus on the projects ahead (Guerrilla, Bluepoint).

A friend gave me girlfriend a copy of Kingdom Hearts 1.5[...] since they were done with it. I have to say, it is awesomely smooth on the PS4 Pro. The last time my girlfriend played it was on the PS3, so the jump in resolution and framerate was very noticeable. Glad they supported the Pro with this!

I hope KH3 supports HDR + 60fps as well, because I doubt my girlfriend could go back to 30, and HDR would be amazing in some of the scenes I've seen. Unlikely to be 4k native, but as long as it uses checkerboard rendering, I think it would be amazing.

philm87

Says a lot to third parties that the maker of the hardware can't be bothered to patch all their own software for it.

They're just studios who have exclusive contracts with Sony, they're not owned by Sony. There's many games who have gone well past their peak sales, so it's probably hard to justify dedicating resources to patching them over working on new projects that they probably have tight deadlines on.

philm87

That's actually a gamma slider in the games now so you can balance them out.

Yeah it's pretty easy to sort out on these games if it's too dim. Cranking the colour setting up helps it pop a bit more in Hdr.

Mass Effect Andromeda may be the best example of HDR use that I could recommend. Blows me away on my Samsung KS9000. Plus a free trial available.

They're just studios who have exclusive contracts with Sony, they're not owned by Sony. There's many games who have gone well past their peak sales, so it's probably hard to justify dedicating resources to patching them over working on new projects that they probably have tight deadlines on.

If they really made it that much work to "patch" for the Pro then that's just another fuckup from Sony.

Ha, if only that simple! And I get loads correct from just that it seems.It is not a "Guessing game" but instead a very difficult process of figuring out how an image is constructed by only looking at a still shot or moving sections after the deed is done. The signs only show up on the horizontal axis with the vertical always being complete even at times we get the half width. As I say in my video it does not rule out a full use on both axis as I did get that in some other titles after many seperate grabs.

Once I have more time to look at the game I can check more thoroughly.

Interested in seeing/hearing your analysis once the title is out. It definitely looks like there is something different with the resolution construction in that game.

Top Bottom