• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS4 Pro enhanced games (native support and boosted)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I just bought a pro the other day, is there a reason to ever turn boost mode off? Like, even if you play a pro patched game with it on, doesnt it just not even do anything.

When boost was first released, some games were unstable when you used it. Almost all of those games have since been patched so they work fine with boost.

I'd say there is no reason to ever turn it off... and the worst that can happen is a game might crash then you'll know to turn it off.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I just bought a pro the other day, is there a reason to ever turn boost mode off? Like, even if you play a pro patched game with it on, doesnt it just not even do anything.
Only reason to do it is if some game crashes when using the boost mode - which I think at this point no games do. Soma was crashing with boost mode, but the game was patched to fix that bug.

I might also ask here, considering it is about Destiny 2 on a PS4 Pro:

This is the aliasing on a base PS4, is it better on a PS4 Pro? Could you show me the same area, please? It would be really helpful.

In these screens you can clearly see it in the UI (in the purple boxes) and in general. But in motion is even worse, even at 720p. (except the UI, in the video is way better than it really is, probably because of the 720p)

https://youtu.be/nVSvOkJEN0g

I usually don't care about these things, but it really bothers me in this game.

Here you go:

destiny2_201709071838assr5.png

mygreatcapturescreensv1ou3.png

destiny2_201709071838zoshb.png

mygreatcapturescreensqqpvp.png

4K png screens from Madden 18 and Live 18.
Thanks so much! From these, I now conclude that Madden is running at 1800p, not 2160p like I counted previously. My apologies for the confusion, and I've changed the list entry.

NBA Live appears to me to be running at 1660p (though pixel counts gave slightly variable results). Since the game isn't out I assume this is from a demo or beta, so there's a chance the final game might give other results

Unfortunately i'm not able to record 60fps footage, and i can't find anything online.
Doesn't the Share button have a 60fps option? Since we're only interested in performance, it doesn't matter if the resolution is lower for this use. But if it's not possible, thanks in any case for your input:

On the other hand, i took a PNG screenshot of Life is Strange: Before the Storm in case you can do a pixel count and see if we can finally figure out the exact resolution of that game.

EDIT: I'm waiting confirmation from people who have more experience than me, but my pixel count gave me a 1080p image. If i'm correct, LiS: Before the Storm on PS4 Pro improves framerate but not resolution.
I would like a confirmation on this if possible please. I'll be getting the game regardless but this would be greatly appreciated.
The screenshot is 1080p, wercide is correct about that. I'd need comparison shots with standard PS4 to see if something besides performance is enhanced.

Thanks so much for your amazing work Liabe. Very much appreciated, this is one of my most frequented threads and won't leave my sub-list anytime soon.
You're very much welcome, I appreciate the kind words. For those who've also been generous with praise who I haven't responded to, know that I'm grateful for your compliments as well. I just try to avoid repeatedly reacting to recognition, as it feels somewhat awkward and self-congratulatory to do so.

Just a quick reminder, BF1 needs to be updated since it got HDR support with the last update.
Thanks, I've changed this as well!

Scrawnton

Bf1 looks really good with hdr.
Just played a few matches and it definitely does look phenomenal with hdr. Looks like it's running on much more powerful hardware. I really wish more devs would prioritize hdr. It is the secret sauce to making a game look ridiculously good.

Scrawnton

I feel the same way. Destiny 2 just doesn't impress on my Pro like, say, Titanfall 2 did. Oh well..
Things up close look real good but the image quality really takes a hit even for objects and enemies at a medium range. I recall Destiny having a nice clean look even for distant objects. Maybe I'm misremembering.

philm87

Things up close look real good but the image quality really takes a hit even for objects and enemies at a medium range. I recall Destiny having a nice clean look even for distant objects. Maybe I'm misremembering.

I played the beta in 4K and it looked pretty impressive. Check you haven't got your sharpness set too high on your TV, that can screw up objects in the distance.

About grabbing all Resident Evil games on PS4. I know 4 and 6 are solid with a locked 60fps, 5 and Revelations 2 had some dips however. How are they with Boost Mode enabled? Any eprience with them? Resident Evil Revelations HD should have Pro Support, but I couldn't find any proper info about it too.

Too bad, that the Origins Collections is locked to 30fps, considering all other games went with 60fps. Might play that on PC.

Edit: Forget about 5 and Revelations 2, missed the "Boost Mode Part" in the op for some reason.

About grabbing all Resident Evil games on PS4. I know 4 and 6 are solid with a locked 60fps, 5 and Revelations 2 had some dips however. How are they with Boost Mode enabled? Any eprience with them? Resident Evil Revelations HD should have Pro Support, but I couldn't find any proper info about it too.

Too bad, that the Origins Collections is locked to 30fps, considering all other games went with 60fps. Might play that on PC.

Edit: Forget about 5 and Revelations 2, missed the "Boost Mode Part" in the op for some reason.
Revelations 1 looks fairly crisp to me. I don't see any jaggies for it on the Pro and the frame rate is also solid. The game isn't resources heavy though.

OP, I see you didn't believe me on For Honor. If someone has the game he can confirm this.

About Infamous Games: Check the official Sony videos comparing the versions between PS4 and PS4 Pro: the PS4 Pro versions added more particle effects.

Knack 2 didn't just increase resolution: According to Digital Foundry, there are better AO and improved shadow maps and increased draw distances. Look at the wind mill at distance you see water and more rods drawn on PS4 Pro.

Ninjatogo

Some games have stability issues with Boost enabled. Dying Light for instance, stutters like crazy with boost enabled. It's to the point where the game is almost unplayable imo.

KageMaru

I asked the question on the official forum, and I was told HDR only.

This can't be right. They were supposed to optimize the engine heavily for consoles, so I'd be really surprised if there were no enhancements. It especially doesn't make sense since the OG PS4 should have HDR as well.

philm87

This can't be right. They were supposed to optimize the engine heavily for consoles, so I'd be really surprised if there were no enhancements. It especially doesn't make sense since the OG PS4 should have HDR as well.

Yeah, agreed. it would be silly for them not to enhance the resolution when they have to compete with GT Sport at 4k HDR. They have come out previously and said they're going to enhance it for Pro, and just doing HDR isn't really doing that as it's available on original PS4.

SamNW

Weird question: so, I got my Pro tonight, but when I go into games, I'm not seeing unique options in the menus (i.e. 1440p/30 vs. 1080/60, etc.). Is there something I need to be doing to access various visual options? Trying this on games that I know have Pro support, to be clear.

KageMaru

Weird question: so, I got my Pro tonight, but when I go into games, I'm not seeing unique options in the menus (i.e. 1440p/30 vs. 1080/60, etc.). Is there something I need to be doing to access various visual options? Trying this on games that I know have Pro support, to be clear.

Not every game offers those types of options. Some like Infamous, FFXV, and Surge offer high resolution modes or high frame rate modes. Other games like No Man's Sky adjust your frame rate based on what your output resolution is set to.

SamNW

Not every game offers those types of options. Some like Infamous, FFXV, and Surge offer high resolution modes or high frame rate modes. Other games like No Man's Sky adjust your frame rate based on what your output resolution is set to.
Yep, I've been testing a few things since I posted and that seems to be the case. Was under the impression that there were more options/more messaging about what was going on for most games that supported it, but the visual difference is noticeable, obviously.

Using No Man's Sky as an example, if you have your output res set to auto, what will it default to?

How is Xcom 2 on Pro?
Hard to say. Sony announced it in their first official list of Pro-enhanced games, and the developer is on record as saying it has "improved anti-aliasing and visual FX" on Pro. The IGN list linked in the OP expands "FX" to a specific claim that DOF and SSR are improved. However, the screenshots I've tracked down don't appear to show much or any of this. (I've tried multiple times intermittently, not just at release.) And there are several user sources on the web claiming Boost Mode improves framerate, which it wouldn't if there were official support.

On the other hand, none of the 4K screenshots I've looked at even had opportunities for reflections, so that's hardly a test. Plus there are differences from standard to Pro--very subtle, and not really attributable to a specific enhancement, but present. So my current position is that the game probably does have support, but it doesn't make a massive difference. I just haven't had access to enough testing material to suss out the details (which is very annoying). Like always, I wish I had more screenshots to try and put this to rest.

So still no infos about Life Is Strange: Before The Strom PS4 Pro support yet?
Life is strange bts ps4 x pspro comparison i think its safe to only Watch until the cloth change
https://youtu.be/rVuWngT5l1M

There's a fog on PS4 It seems, Everything Else looks the same imo, the video description says there's lightning differences and other things but i didnt noticed
The screenshot earlier and this video all indicate there's no change in resolution. As for the effects claimed to be different...well, to be honest I do not trust the analysis of that ProGaming Youtube channel. Instead of cropping, they anamorphically squeeze games side-by-side. And however they capture Pro footage, it ends up higher contrast and with a sharpening pass run on it. (I've seen this in prior videos of theirs as well, not just this one.) I think that's the only cause of the comparative PS4 "fog". Finally, I don't seem to see any volumetric lighting at all in the footage they show, much less better volumetrics on Pro. There might be improved effects, but this isn't evidence of them.

All that said, the Gamersyde video solidifies what I've found from checking other footage: the Pro runs at 60fps while all the unequivocal standard PS4 footage I've seen is 30fps. Unless there's a fps cap option in the game, it appears Pro is double the framerate. If anyone knows if such a cap option is present, please let me know.

Thanks for the information!

NBA 2K18 Prelude is out. Any word on PS4 Pro enhancement for 1080p users?
I can't find any screenshots yet, but it's likely to be 4K downsampled since last year's game was.

OP, I see you didn't believe me on For Honor. If someone has the game he can confirm this.
I believe you--after all, the patch notes specifically say there's a new mode. But you couldn't provide screenshots since the free weekend was over, and no one else has done so either. I've tried looking online, but I haven't been able to find 4K shots definitely from after patch 1.09, much less good comparisons of modes since then. Until I get material to analyze, I can't do anything. Sorry about that.

About Infamous Games: Check the official Sony videos comparing the versions between PS4 and PS4 Pro: the PS4 Pro versions added more particle effects.
I searched, and couldn't find any obviously official videos. Can you link me to them?

Knack 2 didn't just increase resolution: According to Digital Foundry, there are better AO and improved shadow maps and increased draw distances. Look at the wind mill at distance you see water and more rods drawn on PS4 Pro.
Thanks! I did my analysis before Digital Foundry published this, but I had little to work with and missed these benefits. When next I update I'll make the changes. But I don't see where DF mentioned improved draw distance, and I didn't catch the instance you provide. Can you tell me the time stamp in the video?

Some games have stability issues with Boost enabled. Dying Light for instance, stutters like crazy with boost enabled. It's to the point where the game is almost unplayable imo.
Dying Light actually seems to be a weird case. What appears to be happening is that the game is double-buffer v-synced, which means it can only run at framerates that divide evenly into TV refresh rates. So it usually hits 30fps, but if it misses any frames at all it drops straight to 20fps, rather than smoothly varying. It can't go above 30fps unless it gets all the way up to 60fps, which on standard PS4 happens only very rarely in small interiors.

Pro Boost Mode raises performance enough that it can skip up to 60fps in more scenarios. But it can't maintain that speed at all, so it immediately snaps back down to 30fps. These huge but transient spikes are perceived as judder, even though performance is actually surging upward, not downward. (Though there might also still be dips to 20fps, but less frequently.) If the dev removed double-buffering, the game should have a more variable but less stuttery framerate...though at the expense of screen tearing.

So it's not that Boost Mode is causing the game to underperform, it's providing higher performance in a way the developer couldn't have foreseen. That meshes badly with the solution they created for the standard hardware, leading to a bad user experience. Unfortunately, it's very doubtful they'll go back to fix this.

SpokkX

You display's resolution.

In No Man's Sky case, the game runs at 1800p if you have a 4K screen, or 1080p with higher framerate if you have a 1080p screen.

Imo this is really annoying since the game cant even hold close to 30fps in 4k-mode

So if I want 60fps i needto change the OS resolution - this is really dumb

I believe you--after all, the patch notes specifically say there's a new mode. But you couldn't provide screenshots since the free weekend was over, and no one else has done so either. I've tried looking online, but I haven't been able to find 4K shots definitely from after patch 1.09, much less good comparisons of modes since then. Until I get material to analyze, I can't do anything. Sorry about that.

Trust me it would be very hard to notice the difference from still pictures especially if they present different resolutions. A video captured through PS Share won't help either. Maybe a direct-feed video highlighting the differences I mentioned in details. But the best way would be to stop ingame, pause and switch between both modes while looking on different assets, like rocks, trees, candlesticks, shadows, armor textures etc.. to see the details get improved. Because the higher resolution mode may trick you in still pictures thinking it has better details since they are more clear while on the contrary, it's the detail mode that has almost maxed out details.

I searched, and couldn't find any obviously official videos. Can you link me to them?

I couldn't find the official Infamous PS4 Pro footage since it's been a year. It must be from the PS Meeting PS4 Pro presentation. Here I found a video comparing footage from the video and the base game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N76LuxsOWUk&feature=youtu.be&t=1m25s
You can clearly see at 1:25 that more particles are being drawn on screen on the PS4 Pro version:
It has been highlighted when the video came in here and in other places

Thanks! I did my analysis before Digital Foundry published this, but I had little to work with and missed these benefits. When next I update I'll make the changes. But I don't see where DF mentioned improved draw distance, and I didn't catch the instance you provide. Can you tell me the time stamp in the video?

I wasn't talking about the video. I was talking about the screenshot section in the article that most people ignore and which presents many comparisons and notes:
In the first comparison they highlight the increased details and LOD at distance. You can see the water mill shows water and has more rods:

3SosQF1.png

And here they mention how on PS4 Pro has betetr AO and shadow maps:

LB4a4H9.jpg

It's hard to notice when zoomed in so you have to check both screenshots (not enlarged) and see how the shadows of the tree leaves are more abundant and defined:

PS4: http://images.eurogamer.net/2017/articles/2017-09-05-14-54/PS4_001.jpg/EG11/quality/90/format/jpg

PS4 Pro: http://images.eurogamer.net/2017/articles/2017-09-05-14-54/4K_001.jpg/EG11/quality/90/format/jpg

Sadly Screenshot comparison site didn't work for me. If someone manages to upload those screenshots to that site to see the differences in gif.

Trust me it would be very hard to notice the difference from still pictures especially if they present different resolutions. A video captured through PS Share won't help either. Maybe a direct-feed video highlighting the differences I mentioned in details. But the best way would be to stop ingame, pause and switch between both modes while looking on different assets, like rocks, trees, candlesticks, shadows, armor textures etc.. to see the details get improved. Because the higher resolution mode may trick you in still pictures thinking it has better details since they are more clear while on the contrary, it's the detail mode that has almost maxed out details.
Yes, it can be hard to parse exactly why differences are occurring; AF for example is improved by higher resolution, even when set the same. But it's possible to use contextual clues like cascade distances to make determinations, and even Youtube video can work in some cases, for some details. I've discovered plenty of nuances going through screenshots and footage not intended for that use.

I couldn't find the official Infamous PS4 Pro footage since it's been a year. It must be from the PS Meeting PS4 Pro presentation. Here I found a video comparing footage from the video and the base game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N76LuxsOWUk&feature=youtu.be&t=1m25s
You can clearly see at 1:25 that more particles are being drawn on screen on the PS4 Pro version:
Thanks, yes that's very obvious. Also a new channel that occasionally does comparison vids, this will be another helpful resource in the future.

I wasn't talking about the video. I was talking about the screenshot section in the article that most people ignore and which presents many comparisons and notes:
In the first comparison they highlight the increased details and LOD at distance. You can see the water mill shows water and has more rods:
Okay, I understand now. I always go through everything they provide, but didn't note this part simply because it doesn't show increased draw distance. As Digital Foundry says, the extra detail on Pro is visible because of the higher resolution allowing previously subpixel structures to resolve. Note that the other parts of the wheel that really should be there still do not show, indicating extra geometry isn't being displayed. (Also, there's no difference in the detail shown at even greater distances from the camera in the background.) This is one of those instances like you described above, where an improvement comes from sheer resolution and not different graphical settings.

Thanks a lot for all your help! I'll make these changes soon.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Does Destiny 2 lack AA?

I was seeing jaggies all over the place at 4K on Pro when I played it for the first time last night.

It uses very low resolution buffers for DoF and volumetric lights which creates some significant aliasing. I think those effects run at the same res on Pro as they do on the base PS4 which makes it even more noticeable.

It uses very low resolution buffers for DoF and volumetric lights which creates some significant aliasing. I think those effects run at the same res on Pro as they do on the base PS4 which makes it even more noticeable.

That might explain alot. I did kinda seem similar to looking at a 1080p output being upscaled to 4k.

NBA 2K18 makes my Pro sound like a fucking jet. This is the first time I've been annoyed by the console's fan noice.

Hard to say. Sony announced it in their first official list of Pro-enhanced games, and the developer is on record as saying it has "improved anti-aliasing and visual FX" on Pro. The IGN list linked in the OP expands "FX" to a specific claim that DOF and SSR are improved. However, the screenshots I've tracked down don't appear to show much or any of this. (I've tried multiple times intermittently, not just at release.) And there are several user sources on the web claiming Boost Mode improves framerate, which it wouldn't if there were official support.

On the other hand, none of the 4K screenshots I've looked at even had opportunities for reflections, so that's hardly a test. Plus there are differences from standard to Pro--very subtle, and not really attributable to a specific enhancement, but present. So my current position is that the game probably does have support, but it doesn't make a massive difference. I just haven't had access to enough testing material to suss out the details (which is very annoying). Like always, I wish I had more screenshots to try and put this to rest.

Regarding XCOM 2, I played the game the other day after months of not playing it and SSR was clearly added to the Pro version. I don't have any screens but there's now reflections on certain surfaces just like the PC version.

philm87

Anyone playing Battlefield 1 make sure you go to the settings and adjust the HDR contrast so it can hit the correct peak brightness for your tv else you won't get the most out of it. Had to turn it up a significant amount on mine.

Regarding XCOM 2, I played the game the other day after months of not playing it and SSR was clearly added to the Pro version. I don't have any screens but there's now reflections on certain surfaces just like the PC version.
Great, maybe we're finally getting somewhere! I'll take your word on the reflections, but could you post any 4K screenshots at all, even without them? I'd like to analyze for any other changes. The best would be screens of the same basic kind as those accompanying this PS blog entry. The closer the better, but even if they don't have the same stages or units, a combination of overview and closeups generally would be very helpful. I'd sincerely appreciate it if you can assist finally getting this off my plate, and thanks in advance!

You are welcome. Keep in mind not just Infamous: Firt Light ahs those increased particles but also Infamous: Second Son. I tried it and I can confirm this.
That makes sense, I'll update them both.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Life is strange bts ps4 x pspro comparison i think its safe to only Watch until the cloth change
https://youtu.be/rVuWngT5l1M

There's a fog on PS4 It seems, Everything Else looks the same imo, the video description says there's lightning differences and other things but i didnt noticed

60fps footage on pro

https://youtu.be/u66W8ikun0U
I think the difference is that the PS4 version is 30FPS, and Pro version is 60FPS. Makes sense that visuals would be similar/same in that case.

Great, maybe we're finally getting somewhere! I'll take your word on the reflections, but could you post any 4K screenshots at all, even without them? I'd like to analyze for any other changes. The best would be screens of the same basic kind as those accompanying this PS blog entry. The closer the better, but even if they don't have the same stages or units, a combination of overview and closeups generally would be very helpful. I'd sincerely appreciate it if you can assist finally getting this off my plate, and thanks in advance!

That makes sense, I'll update them both.
Sure! Once I arrive home 2 hours from now, I'll take some screens of the game. I'm no expert on pixel count but the game seems to be 1080p still. I'll do my best to emulate those screens on the PS Blog.

Top Bottom