• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS4 Pro enhanced games (native support and boosted)

Tyaren

Too bad the horrible frame pacing kills the high resolution mode. Thankfully they added a smooth option but I wish they would fix the frame pacing issue already.

Hm...horrible? There are people who aren't bothered much by uneven framepacing. I'm fortunately one of them.

KageMaru

Hm...horrible? There are people who aren't bothered much by uneven framepacing. I'm fortunately one of them.

Yes it's absolutely horrible. I've seen frame pacing issues and this game has one of the worst cases. The game looks like it's constantly running into frame rate issues. The smooth mode corrects most of these issues but you're stuck playing at 1080p.

Jedi2016

It doesn't bother me in some games... I can play Bloodborne and not really notice anything. But in FFXV it's just a mess, I can't imagine playing that way all the time.

T-0800

It was but it applies HDR for all content. Only way around that is by disabling HDR in the console settings if you don't plan to watch HDR content.

Yeah this. Is this just a 'fault' with the PS4 app and is it just a Netflix thing? Other people in the house aren't going to know to manually disable HDR in the PS4 settings to get the correct tv settings for non HDR content in Netflix.

KageMaru

It doesn't bother me in some games... I can play Bloodborne and not really notice anything. But in FFXV it's just a mess, I can't imagine playing that way all the time.

Yeah the frame pacing is noticeable in the souls or bloodborne games but nowhere near as bad as it is in FFXV.

Yeah this. Is this just a 'fault' with the PS4 app and is it just a Netflix thing? Other people in the house aren't going to know to manually disable HDR in the PS4 settings to get the correct tv settings for non HDR content in Netflix.

The same problem also exists on the Xbox One S version, so for whatever reason Netflix has issues with HDR on consoles.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Only the Pro version supports HDR?

Too bad the horrible frame pacing kills the high resolution mode. Thankfully they added a smooth option but I wish they would fix the frame pacing issue already.

Once you get used to the frame pacing though, the difference in visual quality becomes huge if you ever switch to any of the other options.

It's a real shame SE couldn't be bothered to put any effort in fixing the frame pacing issue.

KageMaru

Once you get used to the frame pacing though, the difference in visual quality becomes huge if you ever switch to any of the other options.

It's a real shame SE couldn't be bothered to put any effort in fixing the frame pacing issue.

I'm sure some could get used to it but I can't with how severe it is. No matter where I look on the screen, it's a stuttering mess. The lack of a good way to play on the Pro cause me to give the game back and now I'm waiting for the PC version.

LordOfChaos

I havn't dug in here extensively but I got to wondering something, are there any examples of games that the Pro doesn't just have a resolution bump for, but also increase the FoV?

Once I noticed I couldn't un-notice how squishy Destiny 2 was on PS4.

adamsapple

I havn't dug in here extensively but I got to wondering something, are there any examples of games that the Pro doesn't just have a resolution bump for, but also increase the FoV?

FOV ? Nothing I can think of but there are a bunch of games which increase other visual aspects like anistropic filtering, extra vegetation etc.

I don't think any Pro update changes FOV.

Toe-Knee

No man's sky has a fov slider and there's another thats third person. Can't remember what it is though.

I don't think any Pro update changes FOV.
As said, a rare few games have an FOV slider, and Pro should improve performance at the higher settings. Apart from that, no developer/publisher I know of has touted higher FOV as a set enhancement on Pro.

However, this is exactly the sort of thing that could also easily be unreported and overlooked. For most people the change would be subtle, and even if noticed might not be ascribed to the right cause. I must admit that possible changes of FOV hadn't occurred to me, and I haven't looked for them in any of the comparisons I've done in the last 10 months. They could be out there.

That said, they'd have to be relatively small bumps for me to have missed them in most cases, as I do attempt to compare duplicate shots when I can (though I'm certainly fallible). And the low sensitivity/concern of most players about FOV is a reason for most devs to focus improvements elsewhere.

As said, a rare few games have an FOV slider, and Pro should improve performance at the higher settings. Apart from that, no developer/publisher I know of has touted higher FOV as a set enhancement on Pro.

However, this is exactly the sort of thing that could also easily be unreported and overlooked. For most people the change would be subtle, and even if noticed might not be ascribed to the right cause. I must admit that possible changes of FOV hadn't occurred to me, and I haven't looked for them in any of the comparisons I've done in the last 10 months. They could be out there.

That said, they'd have to be relatively small bumps for me to have missed them in most cases, as I do attempt to compare duplicate shots when I can (though I'm certainly fallible). And the low sensitivity/concern of most players about FOV is a reason for most devs to focus improvements elsewhere.
It does on Borderlands Collection. BL2 is choppy if you increase the FOV, while on the Pro there's no issues. I had to play it by default on the basic PS4 while on the Pro I can move the slider all the way up and no problem

PD: Sorry about the Attack on Titan video I promised. I've been quite busy.

Here's the Attack on Titan gameplay I promised: https://youtu.be/hK8wJ4m95KQ

Sorry about the quality but is the best I can do. As you can see it doesn't run at 60.

Ahasverus

I don't see any difference between the 2 other than the framepacong. Stable mode is a no brainer.

Pantz

Blue Reflection has the PS4 Pro Enhanced Icon on the back of the box.
Peach Beach Splash does not have the PS4 Pro Enhanced Icon on the back of the box.

I don't know any details about either. Don't judge me.

LegendX48

The Xbox One S netflix app does it as well. Best to just use the tv app if you can.

robotrock

Banned
The FIFA 18 demo has this display calibraiton thing. Has anyone checked it out? I was messing with it and it seemed like it was resulting in a lot of black crush. Wonder if it's just supposed to be for HDR displays only.

Somnia

Ended up ordering the LG 27UD58-B 27 inch monitor (amazon has them for $334.44) as I've moved my gaming to my office and don't have my 65" 4k Samsung TV in my office. No HDR, but at least I'll have 4k again when playing my Pro.

Rellik

The FIFA 18 demo has this display calibraiton thing. Has anyone checked it out? I was messing with it and it seemed like it was resulting in a lot of black crush. Wonder if it's just supposed to be for HDR displays only.

What is it with FIFA and display issues? The last FIFA I played had terrible overscan and they never fixed it.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Hey Liabe Brave sorry for not uploading these pics sooner but better late than never. I had taken a bunch of pics before realizing that they're all JPEGs. Hopefully that won't be a problem. Uploaded using abload.de

Dishonored - Death of the Outsider

dishonored_deathofthe2uat2.jpg

dishonored_deathofthe6eaqh.jpg

dishonored_deathofthehdx5s.jpg

Cheers!

Here's the Attack on Titan gameplay I promised:

Sorry about the quality but is the best I can do. As you can see it doesn't run at 60.
Indeed not. The lowest I could find was 34fps, and during most of the gameplay sequences it ran in the upper 40s. I'll make changes to the list details soon, thanks!

Seems like HOB has HDR on ps4 can anyone confirm?
yes can confirm this... awesome game also!
Thank you guys, much appreciated!

Hey Liabe Brave sorry for not uploading these pics sooner but better late than never. I had taken a bunch of pics before realizing that they're all JPEGs. Hopefully that won't be a problem. Uploaded using abload.de

Cheers!
JPEGs are usually fine as long as they don't get resaved or recompressed. My thanks for providing these! I'm going to assume your Pro is hooked to a 1080p screen, because that's what these screenshots count as. This is what we'd expect if it's the same approach as Dishonored 2, with no downsampling. (If you have a 4K screen, that would mean that Death of the Outsider has no resolution bump at all on Pro.)

adamsapple

dishonored_deathofthe2uat2.jpg

dishonored_deathofthe6eaqh.jpg

dishonored_deathofthehdx5s.jpg

Cheers!

Maybe it's the JPEG but these screens look way too soft for 1440p (unless Death of the Outsider reduced resolution).

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
JPEGs are usually fine as long as they don't get resaved or recompressed. My thanks for providing these! I'm going to assume your Pro is hooked to a 1080p screen, because that's what these screenshots count as. This is what we'd expect if it's the same approach as Dishonored 2, with no downsampling. (If you have a 4K screen, that would mean that Death of the Outsider has no resolution bump at all on Pro.)

Maybe it's the JPEG but these screens look way too soft for 1440p (unless Death of the Outsider reduced resolution).

Thats right I play on a 1080p display

Indeed not. The lowest I could find was 34fps, and during most of the gameplay sequences it ran in the upper 40s. I'll make changes to the list details soon, thanks!
I'd say it's between 35 and 45 average.

Another correction I'd like to make is Arcania. There's some minor drops on some places, but I'd say it drops close to 50-55, so no big deal. The game stays at 60 more often than not.

Did you pixel count Ys VIII on Pro?

Do we know about the Pro support in Danganronpa V3?
I downloaded the demo the other day and it looked super sharp. I'd say is 4K, but I'm not sure.

Thats right I play on a 1080p display
Great, thanks! So it's likely the same setup as the main game (though that's not certain until we get shots from someone on a 4K screen).

Another correction I'd like to make is Arcania. There's some minor drops on some places, but I'd say it drops close to 50-55, so no big deal. The game stays at 60 more often than not.

Did you pixel count Ys VIII on Pro?
Thanks for the Arcania info, I'll update. As for Ys VIII, yes I've examined multiple screenshots. Everything I've seen has been 1080p.

I downloaded the demo the other day and it looked super sharp. I'd say is 4K, but I'm not sure.
Interesting, the one shot I found a bit back was only 1080p. Any way you can upload some screens from the demo? Thanks again for all your help!

Great, thanks! So it's likely the same setup as the main game (though that's not certain until we get shots from someone on a 4K screen).

Thanks for the Arcania info, I'll update. As for Ys VIII, yes I've examined multiple screenshots. Everything I've seen has been 1080p.

Interesting, the one shot I found a bit back was only 1080p. Any way you can upload some screens from the demo? Thanks again for all your help!
Really? That's odd. I'm sure the game goes above 1080p. Are you sure those screens are from a 4K source? I can take screenshots from the game if you want. Same goes for Danganronpa. I own a 4K set so games lacking downsample should present no issues for me.

In the OT people are saying its 60fps, but the 4k thing nobody confirmed
I have seen screenshots that were definitely 4K. However, these were from previews and not the actual release, and could even potentially be publisher-provided. If you can get someone in the OT to post their own 4K shots, we could tell for sure.

Danganronpa v3

Ys VIII

I would be surprised if it had any TBH.
Prepare to be surprised.

Danganronpa v3

Ys VIII
Thanks so much! I wish every game produced screens that were this easily countable. Both Danganronpa V3 and Ys VIII are 1800p, with only a very little uncertainty. The buffer size for both (3200x1800) is pretty sure, and Dangonronpa seems to be standard rendering, but Ys VIII has a small twist. Some of its edges have dithery artifacting. Potentially, this could be due to checkerboard rendering. However, the patterns of the artifacts are not in a regular grid. Therefore, I don't think CBR is being used. Rather, I believe this is from temporal anti-aliasing, perhaps using jittered samples; the artifacts seem to repeat gnarly shapes at very small scale. This is speculative, though, and I can't rule out weird-looking CBR artifacting.

Note that DOF in the game seems to use quarter-resolution, so this can also give the impression of lower resolution than it's actually running. It's still fundamentally a remastered Vita game, and though the models and textures are actually noticeably improved from the original, limitations are visible all over the place.

In addition to these games, I made the changes discussed earlier to several supported and Boosted titles. I also expanded the checklist from the OP. There have been multiple smaller games recently which claim Pro enhancements, but for which good analysis material is very hard to find. If anyone can contribute anything on the games listed, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks so much, and let me know if you have any suggestions or comments.

Prepare to be surprised.

Thanks so much! I wish every game produced screens that were this easily countable. Both Danganronpa V3 and Ys VIII are 1800p, with only a very little uncertainty. The buffer size for both (3200x1800) is pretty sure, and Dangonronpa seems to be standard rendering, but Ys VIII has a small twist. Some of its edges have dithery artifacting. Potentially, this could be due to checkerboard rendering. However, the patterns of the artifacts are not in a regular grid. Therefore, I don't think CBR is being used. Rather, I believe this is from temporal anti-aliasing, perhaps using jittered samples; the artifacts seem to repeat gnarly shapes at very small scale. This is speculative, though, and I can't rule out weird-looking CBR artifacting.

Note that DOF in the game seems to use quarter-resolution, so this can also give the impression of lower resolution than it's actually running. It's still fundamentally a remastered Vita game, and though the models and textures are actually noticeably improved from the original, limitations are visible all over the place.

In addition to these games, I made the changes discussed earlier to several supported and Boosted titles. I also expanded the checklist from the OP. There have been multiple smaller games recently which claim Pro enhancements, but for which good analysis material is very hard to find. If anyone can contribute anything on the games listed, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks so much, and let me know if you have any suggestions or comments.
You are welcome! I know both games had enhancements. I've trained my eyes to recognize higher resolutions lol.

I noticed the strange patterns on Ys as well, which made me believe it was using some form of Checkerboard or Sparse rendering, that's why I wanted someone to pixel count the image. I was sure it wasn't near 1080p, but it also didn't look like 4K to me.

I'll check what other games from the list I can help you with by either taking screenshots or correcting the framerate.

JP

One of my most wanted improvements for the next generation of consoles is that I'm really hoping that HDR implementation is there by default in every game. It can be so transformative for a game and they are becoming far more common but I'm surprised by how few games implement it as an option.

I know there's work involved in doing it well but I've always found a good HDR implementation to be far more transformative than a good 4K/CBR implementation. I know publishers like to boast about 4K I think people seeing a 1080p HDR game running in a games shop would have a far greater effect than seeing the same game running at 4K SDR. Obviously, it's not an either/or situation between 1080/HDR and 4K/SDR but I'm using that as a crude example.

I couldn't believe what a difference HDR made to WipEout on the PS4, people often comment on the HDR implementation of Uncharted, inFamous or R&C, and they are all fantastic, but none of them had as much of an effect on me as WipEout did. It really stood out for me.

I'd hope that all the bigger Christmas games this year will include HDR as standard and it will start to filter down to the smaller titles over the next year with both Xbox and PS4 both being HDR compatible.

I just can't imagine how good Spider-Man is going to look on the Pro after playing R&C. Seriously, I genuinely can't imagine how good that game will look.

I've always been a HDR fan but was holding off buying a 4K/HDR for another couple of years due to 4K/HDR being in a state of flux at the moment so I thought there were real benefits in holding out until things settled down somewhat and that the technology you'd get then compared to what you'd get for the same asking price now would such a massive step in quality. However, a friend was selling his Sony 49" X720E (EU) / X720E (USA) for £200 as he'd upgraded to a new set it seemed silly not to buy because the price meant it wasn't such a long-term investment as it would have been for the £800 RRP.

The isn't even rated as having particularly good HDR implementation according to rtings.com but it really has been absolutely transformative for me. Well worth the asking price and I wouldn't have any issues investing in a new set 2 or 3 years from now and moving this to the bedroom.

HDR is such a difficult thing to sell to people but I have a few friends with decent TVs and I'd always seen HDR as the real step forward in 4K TVs. I really can't explain how happy I am gaming on this TV, even though it isn't the best TV in the world and will be eclipsed in a couple of years.

I'm so fucking happy to be HDR enabled!! 😁

Toe-Knee

One of my most wanted improvements for the next generation of consoles is that I'm really hoping that HDR implementation is there by default in every game. It can be so transformative for a game and they are becoming far more common but I'm surprised by how few games implement it as an option.

I know there's work involved in doing it well but I've always found a good HDR implementation to be far more transformative than a good 4K/CBR implementation. I know publishers like to boast about 4K I think people seeing a 1080p HDR game running in a games shop would have a far greater effect than seeing the same game running at 4K SDR. Obviously, it's not an either/or situation between 1080/HDR and 4K/SDR but I'm using that as a crude example.

I couldn't believe what a difference HDR made to WipEout on the PS4, people often comment on the HDR implementation of Uncharted, inFamous or R&C, and they are all fantastic, but none of them had as much of an effect on me as WipEout did. It really stood out for me.

I'd hope that all the bigger Christmas games this year will include HDR as standard and it will start to filter down to the smaller titles over the next year with both Xbox and PS4 both being HDR compatible.

I just can't imagine how good Spider-Man is going to look on the Pro after playing R&C. Seriously, I genuinely can't imagine how good that game will look.

I've always been a HDR fan but was holding off buying a 4K/HDR for another couple of years due to 4K/HDR being in a state of flux at the moment so I thought there were real benefits in holding out until things settled down somewhat and that the technology you'd get then compared to what you'd get for the same asking price now would such a massive step in quality. However, a friend was selling his Sony 49" X720E (EU) / X720E (USA) for £200 as he'd upgraded to a new set it seemed silly not to buy because the price meant it wasn't such a long-term investment as it would have been for the £800 RRP.

The isn't even rated as having particularly good HDR implementation according to rtings.com but it really has been absolutely transformative for me. Well worth the asking price and I wouldn't have any issues investing in a new set 2 or 3 years from now and moving this to the bedroom.

HDR is such a difficult thing to sell to people but I have a few friends with decent TVs and I'd always seen HDR as the real step forward in 4K TVs. I really can't explain how happy I am gaming on this TV, even though it isn't the best TV in the world and will be eclipsed in a couple of years.

I'm so fucking happy to be HDR enabled!! 😁

I'm totally with you. My TV isn't one of the best when it comes to hdr Sony xd83 but it has changed everything for me. I often find myself skipping games that don't have hdr as they just look so flat and lifeless in comparison.

Be sure to check out horizon!

Top Bottom