• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS4 Pro enhanced games (native support and boosted)

I can confirm that Dark Arisen is 1440p.

I believe the game is native 4K, not using "geometry rendering" or CBR. For the latter, there are no speckle artifacts as typical (though there is a faint solid halo around some objects, leading me to believe some temporal effect may be in place). EDIT: Looking at NXGamer's video, his shots do seem to show CBR artifacts, even though I've not seen any of these in the shots posted to GAF. I stand by my belief that it's not geometry rendering (as detailed below), but it may be 2160c instead of 2160p.

As for the former, yes many of the textures don't appear very sharp, as we might expect if they were being shaded at a lower resolution. But at the very least, some textures are really being rendered at native 4K. Here's a massive zoom of one, showing that there are single-pixel details. This would be impossible if geometry rendering was used.

detailuek62.png

That said, I expect there's a mixture of techniques here, including some onscreen elements that are not full resolution. In addition to the textures, some foliage sprites seem to be anamorphic. In the below zoom, note in the tan grass how there are vertical details only a pixel tall, but all horizontal detail is two pixels wide.

detail247uls.png

However, this doesn't apply to all foliage. In another crop from the same screenshot, tree leaves do have details both one pixel wide and one pixel tall.

detail317ul0.png

Differences may be due to very aggressive mipmap levels at the high framebuffer size. In any case, it's consonant with common efficiency methods in many games, where individual effects like shadows and particles are lower resolution than the overall image. As far as I can see, none of it points to The Witcher III actually running at something other than native 4K.

Sweet! Thanks for the explanation! I actually believed it was 4K everywhere and not just the geo, but some of the oddities you explained caused me to change opinions since I didn't want to get my first attempt at pixel counting wrong!

Sweet! Thanks for the explanation! I actually believed it was 4K everywhere and not just the geo, but some of the oddities you explained caused me to change opinions since I didn't want to get my first attempt at pixel counting wrong!
Please note that I'm not the final authority either. It could turn out that I'm wrong about the geometry rendering, which is why I showed the evidence my conclusion is based on. For potentially contentious issues, I like people to have the data before them.

There are definitely obstacles in almost all pixel counts, due to the plethora of blending, post-processing, and error correction methods that modern games use. I feel the best approach is just what you did: present your findings, but be ready to revise in light of new info.

Ignore people who would deride that you switched conclusions from 1800p to 2160p, or that I switched from native 4K to CBR. Conforming to the truth, even iteratively over time, is a strength not a weakness.

deadfolk

Great work here gang.

It's a testament to the image quality of these games that it takes this amount of effort to determine the actual resolution. Ultimately, it's perception that counts and I think when we can't tell if a moving image is native 4k, checkerboard, temporal, something else or a combination, we're in a great place.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Witcher 3 is the first game since The Division’s proper Pro patch that’s had people really guessing at what they’re doing. I love it when we get results like this. It’s really impressive stuff.

VG tech are saying that the Witcher 3 is 3840x2160 checkerboarded, and that this particular image shows the checkerboard artefacts quite clearly:
https://gifyu.com/image/Mnl8

Their video analysis is here, and they have some stats posted here. Looks pretty damn good, it drops slightly in Crookback Bog and some cutscenes, but in Novigrad for example it's locked 30.

sibarraz

Banned
It is worthy to always keeo boost mode on the console? Even with games that already support the pro natively?

Also, do I have to do any other configuration in my console to have the best value on it?

Finally, were could I watch the resolution at which my game is running?

Vashetti

Banned
It is worthy to always keeo boost mode on the console? Even with games that already support the pro natively?

Also, do I have to do any other configuration in my console to have the best value on it?

Boost Mode is only for non-Pro-enabled games, it doesn't affect Pro-patched software which is already using the full capabilities of the system. Leave it on.

RedAndromeda

Neo Member

Very few games tell you exactly at what resolution they're natively running. They mostly lable their modes as "high resolution mode" or "4k mode".

This list is your best source of information when it comes to native resolution.

Dovahking

from the review thread.

Shadow of War PS4 Pro enhancements
While publisher Warner Bros has said very little in what to expect in the way of PS4 Pro enhancements, the game features two graphics options -- Favour Resolution and Favour Quality. The former ensures a consistent resolution while you play Shadow of War on the PS4 Pro while the latter emphasises effects and details over resolution. This could imply a variable resolution setting that comes into effect when choosing Favor Quality, though we were hard pressed to tell the difference when playing the game on a 4K monitor and a full-HD TV with Favor Quality on. Favor Resolution though, did result in sharper images and a cleaner picture. We've requested Warner Bros for a clearer explanation of what these modes do and will update this piece if and when we hear from them.

Full story

Wondering what we'll see here then. There's certainly improvements to the engine but from what I've seen they don't seem drastically different.
I'm expecting either 1440p or 1800c. If the game was 4K Native, you would have read about it already. Instead, we are still wondering what the game is doing with the Pro.

RedAndromeda

Neo Member
It's never half-measures with CDPR is it? Really pleasantly surprised by the Pro patch.

Agreed. The only thing that would have made it even better is if they added a 1080p mode with ultra/high settings.

But nevertheless, what they did looks stunning and it's a huge step up from the standard version.

Planet

Ultra settings require ultra textures mainly, but the PS4 Pro doesn't have the ultra memory to spare. We can reasonably expect the Xbox One X to have better textures.

RedAndromeda

Neo Member
Ultra settings require ultra textures mainly, but the PS4 Pro doesn't have the ultra memory to spare..
It's true that the PS4 Pro doesn't have much more RAM than the base PS4 to make a real difference, but Witcher 3 doesn't seem to need a lot to begin with.

I just tried 1080p ultra on PC, and the ram usage is around 6GB, and that's with every single thing maxed out, including hairworks.
1080p with high settings and some minor settings on ultra, should be totally doable for the PS4 Pro, hardware wise (still 30fps of course).

RedAndromeda

Neo Member
That's 6GB on the graphics card alone?
6GB RAM usage, not VRAM.

The PS4 Pro has around 5.5GB of usable RAM dedicated to games, so it shouldn't be an issue with a mixture of high and ultra settings.

EDIT. Honestly, given the nature of the game, i wouldn't even care about better textures, the thing that really makes this game pop is the foliage. A 1080p mode with better foliage would have been the cherry on top of an already great patch.

Planet

Sources are a bit unclear about this topic, but I think this might be accurate: effectively 5GB for the PS4, 5.5GB for the Pro.

And the developer needs to partition it for everything the game requires, not just graphics.

@wercide: i'm not sure you can map that 1:1 to PS4 usage. The PC has its two pools and those will be used different than the shared memory pool of the PS4.

Sources are a bit unclear about this topic, but I think this might be accurate: effectively 5GB for the PS4, 5.5GB for the Pro.

And the developer needs to partition it for everything the game requires, not just graphics.

@wercide: i'm not sure you can map that 1:1 to PS4 usage. The PC has its two pools and those will be used different than the shared memory pool of the PS4.
There's an additional 1 GB of DDR3 RAM on the Pro for the OS to use.

EvB

Thanks for the screens!

Did one last pixel count on the pic I quoted

MM02GH5.png

That's 2160p right there, yesssss sirrrr

Just keep in mind that it only applies to the edges of the geo (or at least that's what it appears to be)

Very pleased with the efforts from CDPR!

It could still be checkerboarded, I'm guessing you were not moving the camera when you took that shot.
If the camera is static then obviously it will be identical to 4K

It could still be checkerboarded, I'm guessing you were not moving the camera when you took that shot.
If the camera is static then obviously it will be identical to 4K

I shouldn't have said 2160p! I never suspected it of being native 4K and I didn't realize that I should have said something along the lines of 2160(cbr?) or something else along those lines :p

It was my first time trying to help with something like this and I know now to really gather info and then post it as one post once I am 100% sure about everything. I sort of posted yesterday as I made observations only to go back on them shortly after and that loose, un-organized, way of posting led to me not thinking about the way I was wording things!

zedge

Done know the pro enhancements on WRC 7? Has the badge on the box. Disappointed it's 30 fps but it looks nice and plays fantastic. I have PC version too.

PS4 Pro support is coming (probably this December) to Hatsune Miku Project DIVA Future Tone via update:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&hl=en&u=http://info.miku.sega.jp/13057
Thanks! Hopefully someone can post shots once the patch goes live.

from the review thread.

Full story
Sounds very similar to the first Shadow game, where there were two settings but not equally impressive. The minor improvements of the "favor quality" mode were barely noticeable, but the high-resolution mode benefits were immediately obvious. We'll see if anything's changed when the sequel launches.

Done know the pro enhancements on WRC 7? Has the badge on the box. Disappointed it's 30 fps but it looks nice and plays fantastic. I have PC version too.
I have not been able to track down any material good for analysis. When you say you "have PC version too", does this mean you also own it on PS4? If so, 4K screenshots from a Pro would be much appreciated. With that I could find the native resolution, and possibly tell what other effects might be increased.

FIFA 18‘s entry should be updated. It features HDR support.
I'm sorry that this has been unfixed for a bit, but it's good now. The delay was because I've been working on an overhaul of the entire list. HDR has turned out to be a very appreciated and sought-after improvement, and it was kind of hidden how I showed it before. The complete list remains in the OP, but for the main list I've removed the tag from the resolution field. It's now its own logo, much bigger and out to the far right where it can easily be seen. Just scrolling through the list to find support should now be possible.

I've also cleaned up some other errors and omissions I've made along the way. There were games supposedly added that weren't actually in the lists, some with non-VR modes that were only listed under VR, etc. Totals for each game type have thus slightly changed.

I also added a few games, as detailed in the OP. Please note that the list of supposedly supported games I haven't been able to analyze has started to grow again. If you own any of the titles in Table 3 of the OP, I would be extremely grateful if you could post 4K screenshots. Of course, I'd always appreciate shots, impressions, or videos of any game, even if not in that particular list.

Thanks everyone in advance for your help, and let me know if you have any comments or suggestions.

pottuvoi

Banned
Blue Reflection

BLUEREFLECTION201710.png
Geometry rendering from 1080p to 4k.
Either MSAA trick or with ID&Z-buffer, there are visible errors on polygon edges. (Even within surface.)

Would love to see developers use something like FXAA + dequad with this, would help a lot in terms of image quality.
Actually might be great fit for a neural network filter.

Ultra settings require ultra textures mainly, but the PS4 Pro doesn't have the ultra memory to spare. We can reasonably expect the Xbox One X to have better textures.

I play most multiplats on the Pro but I played through The Witcher 3 on PC. The biggest difference between the PC version running at Ultra and the PS4 version to me is the density of foliage and how far out it’s rendered at.

Wouldn’t that be a GPU heavy resource rather than memory? I would expect CDPR to go for native 4k on XBX rather than pushing the GPU with denser foliage and sub 4k.

Liabe Brave said:
I'm sorry that this has been unfixed for a bit, but it's good now. The delay was because I've been working on an overhaul of the entire list. HDR has turned out to be a very appreciated and sought-after improvement, and it was kind of hidden how I showed it before. The complete list remains in the OP, but for the main list I've removed the tag from the resolution field. It's now its own logo, much bigger and out to the far right where it can easily be seen. Just scrolling through the list to find support should now be possible.

Great work as usual! The updated look is a change for the better! Thanks

RedAndromeda

Neo Member
The Digital Foundry analysis for Witcher 3:

- 2160c
- Better ambient occlusion
- 16x anisotropic filtering

- In specific areas performance is worse, dropping to 25fps while the base PS4 stays at 30.

EDIT. Hopefully the performance issues will be addressed.

96OhkLy.jpg

kc44135

Not sure where to ask this, and I'm pretty sure I already know the answer since I couldn't find any info, but... has there been any confirmation of Doom getting PRO support? It's listed as one of the games getting X1X enhancements, but every other game with said enhancements has gotten PRO support too (except exclusives, of course). It would be really odd/disappointing if they just decided to skip PRO for whatever reason.

The Digital Foundry analysis for Witcher 3:

- 2160c
- Better ambient occlusion
- 16x anisotropic filtering

- In specific areas performance is worse, dropping to 25fps while the base PS4 stays at 30.

EDIT. Hopefully the performance issues will be addressed.

96OhkLy.jpg

Good job, CDPR. Glad to hear they're looking into the performance issues, as well.

thelastword

Banned
I'm expecting either 1440p or 1800c. If the game was 4K Native, you would have read about it already. Instead, we are still wondering what the game is doing with the Pro.
We should get the same 4k dynamic rez on PRO. If anything the engine should be improved for better framerate at that rez.

WRC 7 framerate is night and day difference on the Pro but it seems like there are still hitches in performance where you totally lose control of the vehicle.

WRC 7 framerate is night and day difference on the Pro but it seems like there are still hitches in performance where you totally lose control of the vehicle.
If you have the game, could you upload a couple minutes of Pro footage? At 60fps is ideal, even if the game is targeting 30. Resolution doesn't matter. Some 4K screen dumps would also be great. Thanks in advance!

Top Bottom