• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS4 Pro enhanced games (native support and boosted)

Would anyone be a dear and provide an easy and identifiable location in TW3 on Pro, preferably indoors (so not time of day shenanigans) in a corner, and take a uncompressed screenshot? I would like to compare the ambient occlusion specifically vis-á-vis HBAO+ and SSAO settings on PC.

NVM, I got it:
compw5r2q.gif

IMO, it does not look like HBAO+ like DF mentions, rather the SSAO whose AO radius is improperly scaled with checkerbaording and the increased resolution, thus making it apply less. The Wticher 3 on PC exhibits this behaviour when you use Nvidia Ansel, when you scale up the resolution high, most of the post processing disappears (AO included) as it is tuned for a set resolution, and not upoon some other factor (like percentage of resolution or screen space or a grid).

Still no solid info on Battlefront 2, AC:Origins or Shadow of War resolution wise?
Battlefront 2: Beta runs at 1300p with much better framerate than PS4/XB1
AC Origins: dynamic 4K CBR at the moment
No clue about Shadow of War

We should get the same 4k dynamic rez on PRO. If anything the engine should be improved for better framerate at that rez.
Yeah, the game doesn't seem to be doing that much work compared to Shadow of Mordor, so there shouldn't be that much of a difference.

nelchaar

Man the FPS drops on Witcher 3 are pretty noticeable. Alpha effects in particular struggling. The effects on igni look stuttering and slow.

RedAndromeda

Neo Member
I just fired up the Gran Turismo Sport Beta, and while it's impossible to play until tomorrow, the game allows you into the main menu and lets you set up your TV.

On a 4K screen, the game is automatically "locked" into 4K mode, you can't choose between resolution mode or favor framerate mode.

On a 1080p screen, the game allows the user to choose between quality mode (downsampling from 4K), or framerate mode (as GT puts it, this mode favors framerate while also providing a better image quality compared to a standard PS4)

Toe-Knee

I just fired up the Gran Turismo Sport Beta, and while it's impossible to play until tomorrow, the game allows you into the main menu and lets you set up your TV.

On a 4K screen, the game is automatically "locked" into 4K mode, you can't choose between resolution mode or favor framerate mode.

On a 1080p screen, the game allows the user to choose between quality mode (downsampling from 4K), or framerate mode (as GT puts it, this mode favors framerate while also providing a better image quality compared to a standard PS4)

If you leave it at for a while it goes into a demo mode which is a very good HDR showcase.

Looks amazing.

I’m certainly misremembering, but I thought Assassin’s Creed: Unity had a Pro patch? Or was it a patch that corrected all of performance and visual issues?

Jedi2016

I’m certainly misremembering, but I thought Assassin’s Creed: Unity had a Pro patch? Or was it a patch that corrected all of performance and visual issues?
None of the above. Boost Mode on Pro helps out a lot (the game's actually quite playable now), but there's no official support for the Pro.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm certainly misremembering, but I thought Assassin's Creed: Unity had a Pro patch? Or was it a patch that corrected all of performance and visual issues?

Unity never got a proper Pro patch like Syndicate but the game runs remarkably well with Boost Mode on. Frame rate sticks to 30 FPS 95% of the time and the game, and with all it's patches, is not a stuttering/glitchy mess like it was near launch.

I recently finished the game on the Pro and honest to god found it a better experience than Syndicate in some visual regards even at 900.

AC Unity was too ambitious for these consoles. Shame really. On PC at highest settings it is a looker.

Yeah, a shame Unity never got a proper Pro patch. The extra CPU power pretty much ironed out the performance but the extra GPU power could have allowed them to run the game at a higher resolution, say 1440p or 1080p with enhanced effects. It would have looked amazing.

adamsapple

How can I enable Dragon's Dogma Pro support?
Is it in-game options or the game automatically knows you are on a PS4 pro?

The game should have Pro patch out of the box. If you have a Pro, the game will render at 1440p instead of 1080p. There's no in-game toggle to turn Pro support on or off.

I'm not sure if it supports down-sampling for 1080p TV's though.

Auctopus

Probably been answered a few times but I just got my Pro and wanted to double check.

In the list, if the resolution is in green and higher than 1080p, the game is automatically downsampljng to 1080p without me having to do anything?

adamsapple

Probably been answered a few times but I just got my Pro and wanted to double check.

In the list, if the resolution is in green and higher than 1080p, the game is automatically downsampljng to 1080p without me having to do anything?

Not necessary. Look at the image in the first post with legends for the red cross and small yellow dot to help you figure it out.

An example is Dishonored 2, it runs at 1440p if you're connected to a 4K display. But if you have a 1080p TV, there is no down sampling.

Auctopus

Not necessary. Look at the image in the first post with legends for the red cross and small yellow dot to help you figure it out.

An example is Dishonored 2, it runs at 1440p if you're connected to a 4K display. But if you have a 1080p TV, there is no down sampling.

Okay, thanks for the heads up.

Do people that played it think Shadow of War is 1440p or higher?
Isn't it dynamic 4k on one x? So probably 1440-1800p on pro.
From the material I've analyzed, I believe Shadow of War is dynamic 4K on Pro, like its predecessor. However, unlike the earlier title it gives the dynamism a real workout, often dipping below the max; in fact, an actual 2160p count is rare. Many of my counts were in the 1800-1900p range, many a little lower, and the lowest count I found was 1620p. Please note, though, that I didn't have limitless footage to analyze, and as buffer sizes get smaller reliable pixel counting gets tougher. The game may well dip below my lowest figure.

I did not see any obvious instances of CBR artifacts, despite there being tons of motion onscreen with the orc armies. The telltale errors could've been hidden by the compression though (I had to analyze video rather than screenshots), so standard rendering isn't certain. But I think it's definitely more likely than checkerboard.

Note that the full 4K buffer seems an aggressive target for what the game is doing. Despite the basically continuous dynamic lowering of resolution, framerate was still often unstable. Frequent dips below 30fps were visible, some quite severe, and tearing was present (though not quite as constant as I might have expected).

The game demo I'm taking all this from was only published a few days ago, so as of now the above is what I'd peg the final game at. However, creating a demo is a lengthy process, and so they have a tendency to be used long after they were made. Plus, there's always the possibility that I've made errors in my analysis. So I'm not adding the game to the list yet, and will hope for more data.

As always, any input from others in the form of links or screenshots is much appreciated, about any game.

Toe-Knee

From the material I've analyzed, I believe Shadow of War is dynamic 4K on Pro, like its predecessor. However, unlike the earlier title it gives the dynamism a real workout, often dipping below the max; in fact, an actual 2160p count is rare. Many of my counts were in the 1800-1900p range, many a little lower, and the lowest count I found was 1620p. Please note, though, that I didn't have limitless footage to analyze, and as buffer sizes get smaller reliable pixel counting gets tougher. The game may well dip below my lowest figure.

I did not see any obvious instances of CBR artifacts, despite there being tons of motion onscreen with the orc armies. The telltale errors could've been hidden by the compression though (I had to analyze video rather than screenshots), so standard rendering isn't certain. But I think it's definitely more likely than checkerboard.

Note that the full 4K buffer seems an aggressive target for what the game is doing. Despite the basically continuous dynamic lowering of resolution, framerate was still often unstable. Frequent dips below 30fps were visible, some quite severe, and tearing was present (though not quite as constant as I might have expected).

The game demo I'm taking all this from was only published a few days ago, so as of now the above is what I'd peg the final game at. However, creating a demo is a lengthy process, and so they have a tendency to be used long after they were made. Plus, there's always the possibility that I've made errors in my analysis. So I'm not adding the game to the list yet, and will hope for more data.

As always, any input from others in the form of links or screenshots is much appreciated, about any game.

Thanks for that. You really are putting a lot of work into this thread.

Thanks for that. You really are putting a lot of work into this thread.
No problem! Please note that according to the devs Shadow of War has two graphical modes on Pro, again like its predecessor. I assume the one I did analysis on is the "favor resolution" version (whatever it's actually called), since the res seems to get so high. In the previous game the alternate "favor quality" mode did very, very little to the overall presentation; it was easy to recommend the higher-resolution choice. With Shadow of War, there's more other stuff to clean up, such as the framerate, pop-in, shadow resolution, and so forth. Potentially that mode might be a decent tradeoff this time.

black070

No problem! Please note that according to the devs Shadow of War has two graphical modes on Pro, again like its predecessor. I assume the one I did analysis on is the "favor resolution" version (whatever it's actually called), since the res seems to get so high. In the previous game the alternate "favor quality" mode did very, very little to the overall presentation; it was easy to recommend the higher-resolution choice. With Shadow of War, there's more other stuff to clean up, such as the framerate, pop-in, shadow resolution, and so forth. Potentially that mode might be a decent tradeoff this time.

I really hope the fps dips are infrequent. :(

black070

There have been 3 updates to Shadow of War (it's currently on 1.03) - perhaps those have ironed out the fps issues ?

Heres a quick and dirty comparison of the two modes for you Liabe:
Favour Resolution
3ta3ZI8.jpg

Favour Quality
bgTurT7.jpg

Now it is very possible I've got the two the wrong way around :p

Auctopus

Just gotta say as a newcomer to this thread, there's a great amount and quality of work put in to it, thanks.

There's quite a lot of info going on in the KH2: Final Mix section, could someone clarify what improvements I get with a Pro on a 1080p Screen?

There have been 3 updates to Shadow of War (it’s currently on 1.03) - perhaps those have ironed out the fps issues ?

Favour Resolution
3ta3ZI8.jpg

Favour Quality
bgTurT7.jpg

Can't really get a good read on those pictures, they are too compressed! Please use PNG's and upload to a place like http://abload.de/

killroy87

There have been 3 updates to Shadow of War (it’s currently on 1.03) - perhaps those have ironed out the fps issues ?

Favour Resolution
3ta3ZI8.jpg

Favour Quality
bgTurT7.jpg

Man, this game is not a looker lol. The visuals are decidedly workmanlike.

There's quite a lot of info going on in the KH2: Final Mix section, could someone clarify what improvements I get with a Pro on a 1080p Screen?
If you have a 1080p display, look for modes marked with an orange dot. Those are the ones you can get. If there are no orange dots (and red crosses), all modes are available to you.

None, you may as well be playing on a standard PS4.
You're wrong. The framerate is better when played on Pro.

Favour Resolution
Favour Quality

Don't think so, the one you posted as "resolution" mode is higher than the other. The compression--and the image quality of the game in general--make it rough to count, though. I believe it's somewhere in the range of 1350p to 1440p.

I can't currently take the time to look for other differences. I'll give it a shot later.

Tagg9

A reminder for people playing Shadow of War on PS4 Pro: download the 4K cinematics pack from the PSN store! It's 22GB but definitely worth it for the higher quality video.

Favour Resolution
Favour Quality
Okay, I've gotten a chance to look at these more. I'll restate that the "resolution" mode here seems to be around 1350p or slightly higher, but hard to count. Graphical differences with the lower-res "quality" mode are visibile, too. Like the last game, draw distance is pushed out. Also like that title, it wasn't terribly bad to begin with, so a slightly further range for pop-in of some detail isn't hugely notable. (The distance where the benefit kicks in does seem closer, so the improvement's a little stronger.)

In addition to what the last game did, Shadow of War's "quality" mode also increases level-of-detail (LOD) for objects throughout the scene. This includes terrain geometry, as well as trees and orcmade structures. Items are more complex, more rounded, etc. This isn't everything onscreen, though. Everyone's tastes are different, so try both modes to see. But I'd say the "resolution" mode is likely a better choice if you're using a 4K display. The extra precision helps overall, even given some less-complex objects in view.

On 1080p displays, though, "quality" mode is improved from the last game, and a more defensible choice. I might even recommend it over resolution (which I would not do for the earlier game). The loss of supersampling isn't as severe--since this title isn't rendering at as high a level--and the benefits are stronger. But again, different folks perceive issues differently, and maybe image quality is preferable to you.

I still don't know exactly how the framerates compare in the final retail game. But for now, player reports seem to indicate that the drops I saw are at least reduced, if not eliminated.

Does anyone know if Fate/Extella has any benefits on Pro? It's not listed anywhere in the OP...
It's not on the main lists, but it is in the intro post as unknown. The game claims to have Pro enhancements. However, the few screenshots I've seen don't have resolution improvements. There may well be other stuff--other games skip res boosts in favor of framerate or graphical improvements--but to tell, I'd really need more screenshots and/or video. If you can link to some (or you have the game), that'd be most helpful.

I don’t even know what that is lol
It allows calculations using lower-precision numbers to process at twice the speed of high-precision calculations. The lower-precision versions are already used in existing games at normal speed, but they are limited in use because the imprecision can cause bad results (including visual artifacts). We don't know exactly how much can be done in the fast manner without players noticing. It almost certainly won't be obvious how RPM helps any game. It just might mean that it runs better than it otherwise would.

I've added several games to the list. If you have any interest at all in helping, I'd ask that you check the OP for games that still need checking, and post 4K screenshots of them for analysis. (Or find screenshots/analysis elsewhere on the web.) I rely on getting a steady stream of material to keep this thread up to date, and I'm starting to fall behind as the autumn release rush begins. Thanks so much to those who can contribute!

I should also note that there's a looming problem. With the lists being comprised of small pictures, I have now exceeded the number of images allowed in a single forum post. For now, I've combined a couple similar titles into larger blocks to allow more posting. But this has two drawbacks: first, it will make it more complicated and time-consuming for me to update. But more importantly, it will mess up the ability to search the list via individual image titles. (Note that I can't just convert the list to plain text. The cumulative text within the images is also greater than the post limit.)

I feel that the lists being so long means that searchability is crucial. I'm therefore not sure how to proceed. I'm going to contact the mods to see if somehow extra posts can be made available to me to split the lists out. This would unfortunately mean you might have to search more than once, but at least every game would still have a unique name.

I don't know the technical feasibility of that approach, so it may not be possible. If anyone has any particularly clever alternate ideas, I'm very open to them. I'm sorry I wasn't farsighted enough to prepare against this bottleneck.

It's not on the main lists, but it is in the intro post as unknown. The game claims to have Pro enhancements. However, the few screenshots I've seen don't have resolution improvements. There may well be other stuff--other games skip res boosts in favor of framerate or graphical improvements--but to tell, I'd really need more screenshots and/or video. If you can link to some (or you have the game), that'd be most helpful.

It's $25 on sale at NA PSN right now so I'll probably pick it up. I don't have a regular PS4 to compare it with though.

From old tweets:
https://twitter.com/marvelous_games/status/806794506431393793

This is a strange tweet chain because it's already 60 fps on regular PS4 as far as I'm aware.

black070

Okay, I've gotten a chance to look at these more. I'll restate that the "resolution" mode here seems to be around 1350p or slightly higher, but hard to count. Graphical differences with the lower-res "quality" mode are visibile, too. Like the last game, draw distance is pushed out. Also like that title, it wasn't terribly bad to begin with, so a slightly further range for pop-in of some detail isn't hugely notable. (The distance where the benefit kicks in does seem closer, so the improvement's a little stronger.)

In addition to what the last game did, Shadow of War's "quality" mode also increases level-of-detail (LOD) for objects throughout the scene. This includes terrain geometry, as well as trees and orcmade structures. Items are more complex, more rounded, etc. This isn't everything onscreen, though. Everyone's tastes are different, so try both modes to see. But I'd say the "resolution" mode is likely a better choice if you're using a 4K display. The extra precision helps overall, even given some less-complex objects in view.

On 1080p displays, though, "quality" mode is improved from the last game, and a more defensible choice. I might even recommend it over resolution (which I would not do for the earlier game). The loss of supersampling isn't as severe--since this title isn't rendering at as high a level--and the benefits are stronger. But again, different folks perceive issues differently, and maybe image quality is preferable to you.

I still don't know exactly how the framerates compare in the final retail game. But for now, player reports seem to indicate that the drops I saw are at least reduced, if not eliminated.

Thanks a lot for this Liabe - apologies they weren't the best shots to use, if DF doesn't release their analysis soon I'll try and take some better ones to post.

JP

I don’t even know what that is lol

It's something we'll probably be hearing a lot more about moving forwards. I was trying to find a decent video to break it down and this seemed pretty good, not too technical either.

8.4 TFlops. The truth behind AMD's Rapid Packed Math and the PS4 Pro

Yup. Not now, but probably when the PC version releases as that has HDR
I've actually held off playing Destiny 2 properly because I'm waiting for the HDR patch, it's so difficult to explain to people how much a good HDR can add to what you're seeing on the screen.

I really miss it in games that don't have it now, it' surprising just how flat everything can look without HDR. I've even downloaded all my older games with HDR and started playing through them again after being away from them for years.

It certainly wouldn't me buy a game I wasn't interested in but seeing that games are HDR compatible automatically increases my interest in them.

Top Bottom