• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS4 Pro enhanced games (native support and boosted)

M_A_C

So still no Fallout 4 patch right? Have they said anything about it? Just asking because the game is $16 with GCU at Bestbuy this week.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
My amazing gf got me the pro for Christmas which is good because I think my old ps4 is on the edge of death. The disc drive is loud and the fans are ridiculously loud. That being said a few things so far.

Honestly I can't really see a difference between the 2, maybe I'm just not playing the right games. Also the 4k on my tv must suck because games run so weird almost like the frame rate is chopped in half.

Traxtech

For a PS4 pro on a 4k tv playing 1080p games, is it better to set the PS4 to 1080p output or let the TV do the upscaling?

Deepo

I've found another Pro enhanced game: The LEGO® Harry Potter™ Collection

I started playing it on my LG C6 a few days ago, and I noticed that it looked extremely clean. So I asked the dev on twitter, and got the following response:

t611vFG.png

It's 60FPS as well.

Not sure what happens on 1080p diplays, I'll try and test it later.

black070

I started playing it on my LG C6 a few days ago, and I noticed that it looked extremely clean. So I asked the dev on twitter, and got the following response:

t611vFG.png

It's 60FPS as well.

Oh man, if I'd known I would've picked this up when it was on sale on the PSN a few days ago :(

Planet

Not sure what happens on 1080p diplays
Didn't look closely, just enjoyed the game with my daughter (a huge Potter universe fan). It runs quite well, though definitely not flawless 60 FPS, and looks very clean. Will take a close look at potential jaggies / shimmering next session.

Oh man, if I'd known I would've picked this up when it was on sale on the PSN a few days ago :(

Funny you say that - been playing it in the past week and thought it looked like a 4k lego title (like the ones I play on my PC) - never crossed my mind to post about it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
They should ditch the ugly rear view mirror in Mafia 3.

They should. I scoured through the options menu to see if there was a toggle to turn it off, there isn't unfortunately :(

I don't think I've ever had to rely on that thing through out the game. The game itself has also become a bit more enjoyable now that I've unlocked the exotic cars and can get around the world quicker. Still, the grind in the game is really bad. It's akin to Assassins Creed 1, where you have to keep repeating the 4 type of activities over and over and over again to get the story to progress.

Good stuff, thanks! I think the visuals would really come together better if they'd been able to increase the resolution of reflections. They work fine on the spotty wet ground, but their blockiness kind of makes all the cars look like they have crumpled body panels.

Still, the game definitely has a cool visual mood, and all the cherry period autos differentiate it from other open-world games.

Yeah, noticed whenever there are reflections on the car specifically, it looks REALLY low resolution, like less than quarter resolution even. I think that's what confused some users in the Patch thread about it having some form of botched anti aliasing.

Edit:

DF put up a Diablo 3 patch video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jefyYKqx328

Dynamic resolution, native 4K in calmer areas, in hectic areas, the lowest drop is to 1080p. Other then that, rock solid 60 FPS, better occlusion, lighting and bloom to boot.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Has anyone tweeted the Rocket League developers about a PS4 Pro patch? It seems like a no brainer to get one.

For a PS4 pro on a 4k tv playing 1080p games, is it better to set the PS4 to 1080p output or let the TV do the upscaling?
I assume you mean "set the Pro to 4K, or let the TV do it". In that case, I'd definitely let the PS4 upscale. It's not really due to quality, though. If you force the Pro to 1080p, then a few enhanced games won't downsample, and you'll have to manually change settings to get full benefits.

t611vFG.png

It's 60FPS as well.

Great catch, and thanks for the 4K screens as well! I'll do analysis when I get home, and post my findings.

I thought I had seen that black ops 3 in 1080p on the pro runs smoother is this true?
Yes it is, as the OP shows. Anytime a framerate is colored green for a Pro mode, it means it's improved versus standard, even if the text is the same. Black Ops III runs better on Pro even at high res, not just 1080p.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just to add to the OP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auELAvhjXfg

Shadow of Mordor apparently holds full native 4K for most of the game. Lowest it goes to is 3072 x 1728 is stress scenarios.

This game has been on my to do pile for a long time, but this patch may get me to finally play it. So if you're on a 1080p display, the best bet is the 'quality' setting? Must say it looks pretty good judging from this vid.

This game has been on my to do pile for a long time, but this patch may get me to finally play it. So if you're on a 1080p display, the best bet is the 'quality' setting? Must say it looks pretty good judging from this vid.
It's best to check both modes to see what you prefer, but I'd recommend "Favor Resolution", which will supersample on your 1080p display. The "Favor Quality" says that you can trade that for "higher quality", but all that actually means is slightly improved draw distance (which isn't super terrible to begin with).

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
It's best to check both modes to see what you prefer, but I'd recommend "Favor Resolution", which will supersample on your 1080p display. The "Favor Quality" says that you can trade that for "higher quality", but all that actually means is slightly improved draw distance (which isn't super terrible to begin with).

Cool, thanks a lot for the info.

In addition to 1080p shots, do you think you can repost your 4K ones on Abload (or another image host with high size limits)? Even for JPEGs, at 4K the file size is so high imgur is compressing them. This is making them hard to analyze. For example, most of my pixel counts have given 2160p, but one count gave a result of 1440p. I'd like to disconfirm (or verify) that outlier before I change the OP.

As a further preview of what I've found, some 1080p Pro footage does seem to show downsampling due to lack of shimmer. But using Youtube as evidence is really iffy given heavy compression, and I did notice one stark edge that might point to the opposite conclusion, no downsampling. So I'd like some captures straight from a Pro before I conclude anything.

DF put up a Diablo 3 patch video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jefyYKqx328

Dynamic resolution, native 4K in calmer areas, in hectic areas, the lowest drop is to 1080p. Other then that, rock solid 60 FPS, better occlusion, lighting and bloom to boot.
Thanks! The results I was seeing make a little more sense now: 2160p counts in certain shots, but the softness I noticed could be due to upscaling on other screens that were dynamically lower. I'll tweak the entry once I get word on the LEGO game and can update both. I appreciate your efforts to post shots and also bring news to the thread!

Cool, thanks a lot for the info.
No problem at all!

And for all those other posters who have said "thanks" to me in the thread, please know I'm grateful. I don't respond directly to you because it seems self-aggrandizing to acknowledge praise over and over. But your kind words are noticed, and gratifying.

nelchaar

Hey guys, I know The Evil Within isn't Pro patched, but has anyone tried to play on a Pro? I've been playing it and it looks and runs like utter shit. The framerare is incredibly choppy.

Hey guys, I know The Evil Within isn't Pro patched, but has anyone tried to play on a Pro? I've been playing it and it looks and runs like utter shit. The framerare is incredibly choppy.

Did you ever play it before? It was never exactly well optimized, though it has seen improvements since release which cut down on load times and allowed you to toggle the cinematic framing off.

I've been replaying it some on my Pro since I got my TV, and picked up a cheap digital copy for convenience in that last holiday sale. Seems like it always has. Not too smooth, but not as bad as Bloodborne imo.

I love that game so much that I'd love a Pro patch for it, though. It looks incredible on KS8000 TV as is, and better performance + any visual improvements would be more than welcome. MGSV is my #1 wish, though. Never gonna happen, sadly.

nelchaar

Did you ever play it before? It was never exactly well optimized, though it has seen improvements since release which cut down on load times and allowed you to toggle the cinematic framing off.

I've been replaying it some on my Pro since I got my TV, and picked up a cheap digital copy for convenience in that last holiday sale. Seems like it always has. Not too smooth, but not as bad as Bloodborne imo.

I love that game so much that I'd love a Pro patch for it, though. It looks incredible on KS8000 TV as is, and better performance + any visual improvements would be more than welcome. MGSV is my #1 wish, though. Never gonna happen, sadly.

Hmm, no my performance is atrocious. It's very very hiccupy and you can definitely feel the dropped frames. Even panning the camera around makes a mess of frame rate. I just rebuilt the database to see if that fixes it.

Edit: Nope, not fixed. Trying a redownload.

Hmm, no my performance is atrocious. It's very very hiccupy and you can definitely feel the dropped frames. Even panning the camera around makes a mess of frame rate. I just rebuilt the database to see if that fixes it.

Edit: Nope, not fixed. Trying a redownload.

Hmm. That's a big redownload.

What kind of TV are you playing on? I know Bloodborne was brutalized when I tried to sharpen up the IQ a bit with judder reduction. It would make it seem smooth in some ways then even choppier in other ways, especially r stick camera panning. I hadn't tried to sharpen up Evil Within in a similar way because I like the grindhouse, film grain look. Do you have a Game Mode on it? That even improves games I have that don't even have any noticeable performance problems.

Conversely, the same judder reduction has almost nothing but pure gain for smoothness on MGSV which runs at a mostly rock solid 60 fps. I try not to use it though, because I'll forget I have it set and won't know why some other game is all screwed up.

nelchaar

Hmm. That's a big redownload.

What kind of TV are you playing on? I know Bloodborne was brutalized when I tried to sharpen up the IQ a bit with judder reduction. It would make it seem smooth in some ways then even choppier in other ways, especially r stick camera panning. I hadn't tried to sharpen up Evil Within in a similar way because I like the grindhouse, film grain look. Do you have a Game Mode on it? That even improves games I have that don't even have any noticeable performance problems.

Conversely, the same judder reduction has almost nothing but pure gain for smoothness on MGSV which runs at a mostly rock solid 60 fps. I try not to use it though, because I'll forget I have it set and won't know why some other game is all screwed up.

The Sony x800D, with game mode on. The tv itself has great image quality, just not for this game. The IQ looks really bad, and the framerate is choppy and poor. I have the film grain and letter boxing off, but I'm not sure that is affecting anything.

Blizzje

Great news from Ubisoft and looking forward to the new analysis. Hope it's a true 1620p, which would be a really nice upgrade (900p > 1620p).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Great news for those looking forward to playing Syndicate. Unfortunately for me Unity completely burned me out on the series, so I have zero interest in Syndicate personally.

black070

Great news for those looking forward to playing Syndicate. Unfortunately for me Unity completely burned me out on the series, so I have zero interest in Syndicate personally.

I'd give it a shot if I were you - I too was burnt out by Unity, but when I finally got around to playing through Syndicate, it was quite a pleasant surprise, and a definite return to form in my opinion.

BigEmil

t611vFG.png

It's 60FPS as well.

The remaster is very good, it's also 60fps on both PS4 models including Regular PS4 cool

Deepo

In addition to 1080p shots, do you think you can repost your 4K ones on Abload (or another image host with high size limits)? Even for JPEGs, at 4K the file size is so high imgur is compressing them. This is making them hard to analyze. For example, most of my pixel counts have given 2160p, but one count gave a result of 1440p. I'd like to disconfirm (or verify) that outlier before I change the OP.

As a further preview of what I've found, some 1080p Pro footage does seem to show downsampling due to lack of shimmer. But using Youtube as evidence is really iffy given heavy compression, and I did notice one stark edge that might point to the opposite conclusion, no downsampling. So I'd like some captures straight from a Pro before I conclude anything.

Sorry it took some time, saw the thread just as I was going to work. Here are 3 4K pics and 3 1080p pics uploaded to Abload:

Assassin's Creed Syndicate v1.51
  • Improved 4K Support on PlayStation 4 Pro
Here's some screenshots with update 1.51 downloaded :)
Great work, thanks! I'm on phone so the pentile combined with JPEG ringing isn't helping me get a solid pixel count. But vertical and horizontal edges now seem to have--approximately--the same aliasing level, so it doesn't look like resolution is anamorphic anymore (or at least not as strongly anamorphic). I'll do better checks when I'm home.

Sorry it took some time, saw the thread just as I was going to work. Here are 3 4K pics and 3 1080p pics uploaded to Abload:
Thanks so much! I'll update tonight.

That's a weird game to demonstrate the effect of downsampling with. The improvements are way more than marginal depending on the game and the level of downsampling.

The improvement in TF2 is huge. I played the beta at 900p and the full game at 1440p is miles sharper on 55 inch 1080p Oled.

He was probably sitting too far from the screen to appreciate the resolution bump.

JP

Headlander v1.04 (1.427 GB)
  • Gameplay and resolution fixes
Not sure if this is a Pro patch, it download while we were watching Netflix so I can't test it now. They're usually pretty specific about mentioning Pro updates so this may well be nothing.

Great stuff, thanks! I've added the game to the OP. From these shots, my pixel counting says that the game is rendering at 1440p, not 2160p. I understand this contradicts what the developer tweeted you. But while I could be off in my counts, I really don't think I am; the game does have a good number of hard edges to test. Perhaps the tweet was using "4k" to refer to 1440p. I've definitely heard people doing this (because the name "QHD" isn't familiar). Alternately, they may have been referring to the upscaled resolution. In any case, it does supersample at 1080p.

Game looks much better now

[great comparison shots]
Thanks a lot, I've updated the OP! It seems that Syndicate is now full 1620p, no anamorphic scaling. There's also no artifacts visible to me, so it doesn't seem to be using checkerboard. (I'd bet it never did, and the anamorphic weirdness was some other kind of error than CBR failure, though that's just speculation.) It does supersample at 1080p.

From the couple shots we have, I don't see any other improvements to lighting/textures/shadows/etc. There's a slight decrease in bloom at the higher resolution, but I'd say this isn't a conscious choice. It's likely a knock-on effect that stems from a changed resolve given the greater sampling frequency.

Not sure if this is a Pro patch, it download while we were watching Netflix so I can't test it now. They're usually pretty specific about mentioning Pro updates so this may well be nothing.
Well, looks like Sony cert is back from their holidays! I bet we'll see a surge of patches (not all Pro-related) in the coming days.

If you detect changes and can get some Headlander shots later on, I'd appreciate it. If you can provide impressions that'd be helpful too; I'm not sure if the VR social screen will necessarily reflect changes in the headset well.

JP

Well, looks like Sony cert is back from their holidays! I bet we'll see a surge of patches (not all Pro-related) in the coming days.
You may well be correct, it's not new to the game but this downloaded while I was checking Headlander. :)
Thumper v1.03
  • Fixed minor rendering artefacts in 4K mode on Playstation Pro
If you detect changes and can get some Headlander shots later on, I'd appreciate it. If you can provide impressions that'd be helpful too; I'm not sure if the VR social screen will necessarily reflect changes in the headset well.
I've not played Headlander before the patch so I can't really comment on changes. I took a few 4K screens (I'm on a 1080p panel) but cube upload would only let me upload two of them as the others were over 5MB in size.

While playing there was a strange mix of razor sharp lines and aliasing in different areas so I'm not sure what they've done.
Anyway, it's 01:30 here so I'm off to bed anyway.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Heh, I actually enjoyed Unity far more than Syndicate, so much so that I'm more than likely done with the series as a result. I haaated Synsicate, it has my two least favorite AC protags since Connor.

If you can provide impressions that'd be helpful too; I'm not sure if the VR social screen will necessarily reflect changes in the headset well.
I've not played Headlander before the patch so I can't really comment on changes. ...Anyway, it's 01:30 here so I'm off to bed anyway.
Whoops, Headlander not Headmaster. By "later on" I wasn't trying to get you to stay up late, I meant in the future. Sorry about that, but thanks for checking!

While playing there was a strange mix of razor sharp lines and aliasing in different areas so I'm not sure what they've done.
That is definitely what I'm seeing too. Given that some edges are jagged, the game doesn't appear to be rendering above 1080p. But it seems that some surfaces are actually low-detail textures, which give the impression of smoothness in places. Then, there's (volumetric?) lighting at a lower resolution, leading to blockiness. And finally, at least some shadows seem to be dithered.

Is World of Final Fantasy getting fixed soon? I really want to play it but it's so blurry.
Supposedly, there's a fix patch coming in a couple days (the 12th).

Riddler

Assassin's Creed Syndicate v1.51
  • Improved 4K Support on PlayStation 4 Pro
  • Improved Stability

Haven't played this game for months. Just played this tonight and it's like a different game on the Pro. Not just the graphics(hated how blurry it looked) but the gameplay just seems better. Looks like I'm finally finishing this.

Top Bottom