• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All your WiFi devices are broken, Android/Linux devices particularly devastated

Plum

So, for a private home network, the potential hacker has to physically be nearby for anything to happen? I'm confused as to that, tbh.

So, for a private home network, the potential hacker has to physically be nearby for anything to happen? I'm confused as to that, tbh.

Yes. Otherwise, how would they get access to your wifi?

The thread title is sensationalist. There's going to be patches for most devices (with an asterisk, if you have an Android phone that's no longer receiving updates or some obscure IoT device, you might be SOL). Currently, there's no easy way to use the exploit, since the security researcher didn't publish his proof-of-concept code yet (he wants to wait until all the big vendors have released patches). As we speak, there's probably black hats (criminal hackers) scrambling to make a piece of software to exploit this vulnerability, depending on how easy it is to implement, it might be done, might not be done for a while. Most importantly, a lot of your traffic will still be safe, since it's already encrypted.

Paganmoon

unless there is a hacker in your neighborhood, then it is safe, the hacker has to literally be in the range of your wifi at home

They have to be on site so to speak for the attack it seems.

Don't worry so much about your home as WiFi stuff for business especially small business.

Things like WiFi security cameras or point of sale systems or whatever even beyond just public networks.

Technically, this could be used away from your home network, if the attacker knows your homenetwork's SSID. Most devices are set to autoconnect to known networks, no matter where they are.

So an attacker could be in a well visited and crowded place and use this hack on a common/well known SSID name, and potentially get many phones and laptops to connect to it.

Edit: come to think of, you'd probably still need the homenetwork to send the initial handshake that you hijack, so yeah, probably not possible

Somnid

So.. we can just never use public wifi for un updated device right?

You would never communicate unsecure data over a public wireless access point because other people also have access to that access point by virtue of it being public, so it doesn't matter.

You would never communicate unsecure data over a public wireless access point because other people also have access to that access point by virtue of it being public, so it doesn't matter.

A lot of public places actually use WPA2 instead of leaving their network open. - mostly to make sure only customers are using it, I'm sure. Even then, people tend to think of those networks as more secure, but this exploit basically makes a WPA2 network as secure as an unsecured one.

low-G

Technically, this could be used away from your home network, if the attacker knows your homenetwork's SSID. Most devices are set to autoconnect to known networks, no matter where they are.

So an attacker could be in a well visited and crowded place and use this hack on a common/well known SSID name, and potentially get many phones and laptops to connect to it.

A hacker wouldn’t need this exploit to hack devices this way. But he would need some good antennas.

low-G

I haven't kept up with the concept at all, but can't people just wardrive to get on your network even if the SSID isn't broadcasted?

They don’t need the SSID, they use the MAC, which is always broadcast no matter what (it is on a lower level than this attack)

ZOONAMI

What?

So if I have a fiber line going into an Asus router what do I need to do? I don’t have any android devices other than a hardwired Sony android tv.

I’m honestly not sure if I’m running wep wpa or wpa2 but it’s the one that lets you use pretty much any password you want.

Pretty sure that’s just WEP, which I’ve always just stuck with because I like to set my own password. Always something with characters and caps and numbers etc, but it’s just nice to have something I can actually remember vs a bunch of random garbage.

Ah jeez, now I have to wait and see what Netgear's patched. They released a security update not too long ago, but it seems in their usual fashion they didn't bother telling us what they fixed -_-

TripleBee

When I first read it - it sounded like you had to have access to the network to deploy the exploit, meaning that a secure home network was safe.

Only public networks, or shared company networks were in danger.

This new explanation no longer seems to back that up ?

low-G

Problem is bad, but OP is going a little too far. Attacker still cannot see https encrypted data (which honestly in this day and age covers pretty much everything important

But then they can poison your DNS, so you think you’re connecting to a secure site but you’re connecting to the hacker’s laptop. Also a lot of sites don’t do HTTPS perfectly.

When I first read it - it sounded like you had to have access to the network to deploy the exploit, meaning that a secure home network was safe.

Only public networks, or shared company networks were in danger.

This new explanation no longer seems to back that up ?

Where did you assume they have to be connected already? Which phrase?

TripleBee

But then they can poison your DNS, so you think you’re connecting to a secure site but you’re connecting to the hacker’s laptop. Also a lot of sites don’t do HTTPS perfectly.

Where did you assume they have to be connected already? Which phrase?

"As Hudson notes, the attacker would have to be on the same base station as the victim, which restricts any attack's impact somewhat."

But I clearly misunderstood what that meant

low-G

"As Hudson notes, the attacker would have to be on the same base station as the victim, which restricts any attack's impact somewhat."

But I clearly misunderstood what that meant

No, I am serious. Where is this 'Hudson' thing from? I asked another person in another thread and they never replied.

Future

What’s funny about is all those hacker shows where you see people get into people’s phones in seconds of being on the same network as them.... that shit is true haha

Kinokou

So with HTTPS still ensuring a layer of safety, I'm assuming two step verification and encrypted messaging apps are a-okay to protect account data and messages/images?

It's CLIENT SIDE.

What we need is every WiFi device to get patched ie phones, laptops, servers, tablets, iot, pos systems... basically fuckin anything and everything

Client = your device ie your phone (not your router)

I still don't get it.

If my PC use a wifi from a router, will it be safe?

Also, is it worldwide?

I still don't get it.

Also, is it worldwide?

Yes it’s worldwide, yes you need to update, and no using WiFi is not safe.

Anyone who can’t or doesn’t know how to patch their network/devices who can get hardwired should do so.

epmode

I still don't get it.

Also, is it worldwide?

The router you’re using doesn’t have much to do with whether or not you’re vulnerable to this attack.

Your PC is the client. If the client is patched, then it’s OK. Microsoft said they’ve already pached the problem so you should be OK if you’re running a fully updated Windows 7, 8, or 10.

I’d like some confirmation on MS’ fix though.

And yes, this affects virtually all wifi devices worldwide.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I have a lot of old devices. I don't really care if people spy on which YouTube videos I watch or which NeoGAF pages I visit. However, I obviously do care about banking information and similar content.

Can I continue to use my standard WiFi for most things and then switch to Ethernet for all financials? Or would that approach still make me unsafe?

epmode

I have a lot of old devices. I don't really care if people spy on which YouTube videos I watch or which NeoGAF pages I visit. However, I obviously do care about banking information and similar content.

Can I continue to use my standard WiFi for most things and then switch to Ethernet for all financials? Or would that approach still make me unsafe?

Technically, you might be OK to use those financial sites on a compromised device. So long as the site has a proper implementation of HTTPS, the most an attacker would be able to see are data packets filled with encrypted text (gibberish).

I wouldn’t rely on this, however. All you can be certain of is whether or not a site is using HTTPS. It’s effectively impossible for you to know if it’s implemented perfectly and it’s best to be on a secure device just in case there’s a problem.

Top Bottom