• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha from the Power Rangers reboot revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Nook

Gaffer shopped pic without the eyes. Looks 10X better:

quick and dirty:

D5wXAKc.jpg

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Considering her outfit is pretty much the same as the Rangers' designs, just without a helmet, then yes. That's exactly why.

I guess the Rangers and Rita don't look "alien" to me. They just look like really overdone costumes that think putting a ton of parts and pieces onto something makes it look better.

The Guyver movies from the 90's looked more alien than these costumes.

Even if this isn't the final design, it's crazy how much more appealing the '95 movie was from an aesthetic viewpoint. The clean, glossy look of the classic costumes + Alpha just seems more striking visually than what they're going for here. Busy Bayformers stay losin.
Though Rita's is probably the only design I don't mind tbh.

This Alpha definitely needs different/no eyes to start.

Mechazawa

I'm into it. You can't honestly expect them to wheel out this fucker for a big budget action movie in 2016, right?

latest

Yeah, you actually can, because Alpha wasn't some super serious character. He was a light-hearted sidekick. You're allowed to have a little levity in some of the designs of your teenage superhero movie.

But instead, like with everything else in this movie, they overdesigned the ever-loving shit out of him.

As I usually do just for fun when these designs come out, here is a version of Alpha pushed a little more toward the original:

jtCkoQh.jpg

I still haven't actually decided what I think about the movie design but I like doing these for fun.

Edit: After some more thought I've decided that really the main thing bothering me about the design is the big gut. I think it's a step too far.
I see what they're doing for with the big eyes. They sort of fit Alpha's silly personality and they probably want to try to make him, to a certain degree, dopey. Removing those eyes as I did in the photoshop above makes him look a little intimidating due to his giant cyclops glare. I'm okay with keeping the googly eyes.

The gut, though. It's another choice to make him appear dopey and silly. While the eyes accomplish this without interrupting the aesthetic, the gut just seems out of place among all the thin metal limbs and complicated alien textures. I'd be happy to see that changed to something more robotic. Right now it looks like he's about to birth an alien baby.

Beyond that I'm pretty okay with their design. After staring at both the front and back views for a while and getting a feel for how this will look in 3d, I actually think it will look a lot better in motion in the movie than you guys realize. I can already imagine those big googly eyes waving around with his silly voice. If you dont like the overall aesthetic theyre going for with this movie as a premise that's another conversation, but considering how this design fits into their current aesthetic goal, I think it's alright. Just put Alpha on a diet for a couple months.

That looks... sick as fuck. I really like it actually. Needs to dial down the Bayformer flourishes, but I'm feeling its biomechanical design more than I usually feel those kinds of designs.

Whatever happened to clean lines and solid colors?

That thing would look rad with the exact same design but cleaner lines and solid colors.

I mean, it'd look like a Genesect evo, but that's okay.

Looks like shit without the goofy eyes.

The goofy eyes aren't the problem. All the unnecessary detail is. Take off the eyes and you're left with something that looks a whole lot more like a villian than a sidekick.

That is absolutely hideous.

Look, I get they're going for a whole biomechanical vibe with this movie, but not everything has to be cooked up from the mind H.R. Gieger tripping on LSD.

As I usually do just for fun when these designs come out, here is a version of Alpha pushed a little more toward the original:

jtCkoQh.jpg

I still haven't actually decided what I think about the movie design but I like doing these for fun.

Dude, post this on Twitter and get the producers seeing this. It's not too late for them to change it.

That's why I'm fascinated to see it. I usually have a threshold for bad movies, but this looks too good to pass up.

I said the same thing about Dragonball Evolution.

Big mistake.

Although I also said the same thing about 2012 and that was probably the best two hours I've ever spent in a movie theater

kevin1025

Banned
I said the same thing about Dragonball Evolution.

Big mistake.

Although I also said the same thing about 2012 and that was probably the best two hours I've ever spent in a movie theater

Ah yeah, that would have ended badly for you, haha. I'm with you, though, 2012 was a great time in the theatre!

This one looks and feels like Michael Bay got hold of the Power Rangers, and I liked the first three Transformers movies despite them being bad (although the fourth completely broke me and I was mad for a day afterward). I'm hoping for the best for this one and that the style does feel like that, even if I'm interested in an opposite way.

After some more thought I've decided that really the main thing I dont like about the design is the big gut. I think it's a step too far.
I see what they're doing for with the big eyes. They sort of fit Alpha's silly personality and they probably want to try to make him, to a certain degree, dopey. Removing those eyes as I did in the photoshop above makes him look a little intimidating due to his giant cyclops glare. I'm okay with keeping the googly eyes.

The gut, though. It's another choice to make him appear dopey and silly. While the eyes accomplish this without interrupting the aesthetic, the gut just seems out of place among all the thin metal limbs and complicated textures. I'd be happy to see that changed to something more robotic.

Dude, post this on Twitter and get the producers seeing this. It's not too late for them to change it.

You're free to spread the image however you want but I feel no need to photoshop beg the production team myself. I just do these for fun. You go right ahead.

sleepykyo

Is it supposed to be evil? With that design, they might as well reveal the previous Power Rangers were the bad guys and Rita rebelled after she tired of the bloodshed.

Ah yeah, that would have ended badly for you, haha. I'm with you, though, 2012 was a great time in the theatre!

This one looks and feels like Michael Bay got hold of the Power Rangers, and I liked the first three Transformers movies despite them being bad (although the fourth completely broke me and I was mad for a day afterward). I'm hoping for the best for this one and that the style does feel like that, even if I'm interested in an opposite way.

Yep to the bolded. Needless flourishes, hate 'em. Clean lines, solid colors. Is that so unmarketable in this day and age?

Maybe this movie will be decent. I'm sure I'll watch it with my brothers for the nostalgia trip regardless. I'm not expecting much though. Worst case scenario it'll be something to get shittyfaced to and riff on for a few hours.

Funnily enough, my brothers and I tried just that ^^^ with Transformers: Age of Dinos. Got drunk, sat down, started the movie... and it was so goddamn boring and bad that we couldn't even glean any enjoyment from riffing on it. Ended up watching Akira that night instead

jtCkoQh.jpg

Edit: After some more thought I've decided that really the main thing bothering me about the design is the big gut. I think it's a step too far.

The gut, though. It's another choice to make him appear dopey and silly. While the eyes accomplish this without interrupting the aesthetic, the gut just seems out of place among all the thin metal limbs and complicated alien textures. I'd be happy to see that changed to something more robotic. Right now it looks like he's about to birth an alien baby.

Beyond that I'm pretty okay with their design. After staring at both the front and back views for a while and getting a feel for how this will look in 3d, I actually think it will look a lot better in motion in the movie than you guys realize. I can already imagine those big googly eyes waving around with his silly voice. If you dont like the overall aesthetic theyre going for with this movie as a premise that's another conversation, but considering how this design fits into their current aesthetic goal, I think it's alright. Just put Alpha on a diet for a couple months.

This is basically how I pictured it without the stupid eyes. thatsgoodthatsdamngood.gif

Glass

Out of everything so far, its the design that is closest to the original imo.

I think its going for the obvious alien look, which you learn to find cute, as opposed to an overly cute from the get go design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom