• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha from the Power Rangers reboot revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I'm into it. You can't honestly expect them to wheel out this fucker for a big budget action movie in 2016, right?

latest

I have no nostalgia towards the series and I can honestly say that the original design is miles better than the mess they made.

The Twilight/Hunger Games/Maze Runner crowd. The movie, from outright inception has been built to hit the young adult crowd. Not kids, not adults with fond nostalgia for the property.

So the movie is gonna bomb hard then.

Slayven

I don't necessarily disagree, but yeah, that's their aim.

The director is Dean Israelite, the dude guy behind Project Almanac, which was pretty much Chronicle adjacent. Executive producer is Allison Shearmur, who executive produced the last three Hunger Games films.

From the very first press release:

What this movie was has been clear from the beginning if you looked hard enough.

That is why we pay you

jax

Banned
wow. I was never really into power rangers but that is an abomination.

Why do these attempts to "modernize" campy 80s/90s stuff always end in a trainwreck?
Because it's an older generation creating it instead of the people who grew up with it.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Thinking about it, this is probably the first thing from the movie I'm not a fan of. Get rid of the eyes and it would be good.
I'm hoping it looks better when it's in motion, and with Bill Hader's voice.

Deception

Every time a thread like this pops up I always think back to the initial reaction to Quicksilver in DOFP and the crow that was had afterwards.

Every time a thread like this pops up I always think back to the initial reaction to Quicksilver in DOFP and the crow that was had afterwards.

Well, so far every character design that's been revealed thus far has been a real stinker. Even the trailer doesn't inspire much confidence, looking like a YA novel. DoFP always had more going for it than Quicksilver who succeeded despite his outfit.

y2dvd

Looks like a baby praying mantis that I saw on Planet Earth or Life while it blows bubbles to extend its eye socket out.

insulting to Michael Bay to compare these designs to his transformers franchise. These rangers and Alpha and megazord all look far worse than any transformers/decepticon design.

It really feels like they're trying to piss off fans at this point.

insulting to Michael Bay to compare these designs to his transformers franchise. These rangers and Alpha and megazord all look far worse than any transformers/decepticon design.

But they're clearly inspired by Bayformers' over-designed, insectoid appearance, hence the comparisons.

Platy

I can see where they are going for and some of those ideas are really cool like making him more alien ..... but ONLY retaining the circle head might have been too much.

Could have added a red clothing with the bolt, for example.

Chez Lindasay made a recent video about alien designs that explains greatly why this design sucks :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srul5Xd2kT4

TL:DR - the more alien it looks, the more time we need to care about it. This looks VERY alien and it is a minor character so we are fucked

Holy shit... the "Source material" is over 20 years old... Things change. That's not to say this is the right change, but what the fuck man? They don't need an "excuse for deviating from the source" they SHOULD deviate from the source. This isn't 1990, and this isn't the same low budget hokey spliced together wtih random Japanese live action power rangers you remember from your youth.

Amazing how people liked the new look of Rita who looks absolutely NOTHING like she did in the show, but the second you give Alpha 5 googly eyes, WHY'D YOU RAPE MY CHILDHOOD SABAN! I really hope Zordon appears as a Fetus... just so I can see the reactions.

Some of ya'll need jesus Burai in your life.

The sooner you realize that 90% of the original content SABAN creates is utter trash and accept real Sentai into your lives, the happier you will be.

Toa TAK

Banned
For real. Nothing in here so far looks as good as Bumblebee, Optimus or Megatron.

Trike

Quicksilver's greatness in DoFP had nothing to do with how terrible his design and reveal was. So if every time something new is revealed about this power rangers reboot is getting a Quicksilver reaction. Yes, this movie could just have horrible marketing/designs and be good. But it could also be another Jared Leto Joker situation.

I wonder how the cast of MMPR feels about the reboot movie. Surely they must be frustrated with some of the stuff that has been shown so far

Then again, they most probably don't care anyways.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
78b6c96713adb79578a675033646aa99.jpg

Should have just pulled the Marvin the Depressed Robot suit out of whatever storage locker it ended up in and just replaced the head.

For anyone holding out hope that this was just a concept art...well here is a prototype of the toy.

Does Saban not have a say in what the character designs looked like? I know on a certain level you have to appeal to "older" audiences to reach more people, but the toys should be appealing to kids. With over 20 years in the biz someone had to say "this shit will stay on the shelves for months."

At least with the Transformers movies the characters transform into vehicles they are based off of so there is that appeal despite some robot designs being iffy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom