• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alundra and Arc the Lad on PSN 10.12.2010, $5.99 apiece

vireland

I3rand0 said:
It's better than Arc 3.

I am obviously biased, but this seems like a serious stretch. TotS was very generic, with little to interest players in the characters. They were painted in such broad strokes. Very different than Arc I-III.

Teknoman

Aeana said:
The Arc games have such cool music, written by the leader of T-SQUARE, Masahiro Andoh. That was pretty much the only reason I wanted to play them in the first place. Never did beat 1, though... I'd like to get to 2, since everybody says it's really great. Maybe I'll buy 1 on PSN and finally beat it so I can move on.

1 and 2 have a great soundtrack.

Twilight of the Spirits was actually pretty cool (soundtrack wise too). Then again it was the first game I played before finding the collection...so that might have something to do with it.

Last boss was lame though...which should NEVER happen in a JRPG. No matter how bad the game is :lol

I3rand0

vireland said:
I am obviously biased, but this seems like a serious stretch. TotS was very generic, with little to interest players in the characters. They were painted in such broad strokes. Very different than Arc I-III.

I'm not discounting the fact the plot is overall weaker to 3 and really unoriginal. However, the music in TotS is fantastic and the combat is much more engaging. As I said earlier, overall, it's a better product than 3.

As someone already mentioned, I like to think that the series ended after II, but TotS is not as bad a game as people claim it to be.

soldat7

vireland said:
It's more a question of "is it worth the effort"? It's a complete pain in the butt to get older titles licensed and ready for PSN. If they only sell 5,000 or 10,000 or something, it's hardly worth it after everyone takes their cut. If we're selling 20 or 30k units (which is completely reasonable for an RPG at these prices and with the PS3 installed base), and up, it makes sense to keep grinding away at the other titles we're working on and maybe even get some PS1 content that was never localized translated for first-time release. There are lots of possibilities, but they all hinge on sales of these first few titles, since they don't get a whole lot better than this. If these won't sell for $5.99, nothing will.

Ah, you're Victor Ireland. Apologies, I thought you were from Sony. :lol

vireland said:
Don't read TOO much into this, but would the Alundra fans out there pay for a Maximo HD PSN release?

Yes

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yasae said:
There you are. Thought you might have been molested or something.

Sorry, I was playing Bad Company 2 on my PS3. I can't have the "Arc the Lad is coming to PSN" signal lit up for me everytime. :lol

That said, even if they aren't great I'm just glad SOMETHING/SRPG is coming to the store that isn't FFT. I've been wanting to play these for a decade now (since WD released them), so this is good news to me.

vireland said:
Playing it again getting things ready for this launch, I've been struck all over again by how fantastic the MUSIC is in the game. But it's all great - music, story, puzzles - it really is the superior Zelda experience, with a really dark storyline that Zelda would never touch.

Yeah I dunno. To me Zelda games tend to have characters who I wish would die. Alundra has characters and I wished they wouldn't die but...sigh.

I3rand0

vireland said:
Don't read TOO much into this, but would the Alundra fans out there pay for a Maximo HD PSN release?

I'd rather you try to get the Lunar games on PSN (long shot I know).

Aeana

Teknoman said:
1 and 2 have a great soundtrack.

Twilight of the Spirits was actually pretty cool (soundtrack wise too). Then again it was the first game I played before finding the collection...so that might have something to do with it.
The arrange album for 1 is wonderful, especially. It really sounds like T-Square's music. I hope I'm not their only fan on GAF. :\

Dizzy-4U

Will buy both. It's been a loooong time but I remember Alundra being extremely long (in a good way).

Waiting for Rayearth (I know, not gonna happen :'( ). I miss Jennifer Stigile 's voice.

Yasae

Banned
I3rand0 said:
And you finished Arc 3 because it was so different...?

Outside of the plot (translation) issues, it's still a better game overall than 3 but nowhere near as good as 1/2.
None of the Arc games were ever that different. The combat sucked in Twilight too.

vireland

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Yeah I dunno. To me Zelda games tend to have characters who I wish would die. Alundra has characters and I wished they wouldn't die but...sigh.

Okay, literal :lol on that one. So true.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I3rand0 said:
I'd rather you try to get the Lunar games on PSN (long shot I know).

He's said in a previous thread he no longer has the license and the license is a mish-mash... don't ever get your hopes up for that, basically. But it would be nice.

I3rand0

TheSeks said:
He's said in a previous thread he no longer has the license and the license is a mish-mash... don't ever get your hopes up for that, basically. But it would be nice.

I'm not. I still have the disc releases, but imo, there's much bigger fish to fry (or attempt to anyways).

vireland

TheSeks said:

Close, but basically right. I have only one part of the rights, the rest were sold back to GameArts a long time ago. To get the games out as-is lots of parties would have to come together. I'm an optimist, and even I am pessimistic about that actually happening. :)

I3rand0

vireland said:
Close, but basically right. I have only one part of the rights, the rest were sold back to GameArts a long time ago. To get the games out as-is lots of parties would have to come together. I'm an optimist, and even I am pessimistic about that actually happening. :)

How about Growlanser games? I loved the Generations packages you guys had on the PS2.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'll totally get Alundra despite finishing it 3 years ago.

I do have a question: since Arc the Lad and Alundra were published by Working Designs on the PS1, will you guys be solely publishing the Working Designs PS1-published title or are you guys planning to publish other titles that are were not necessarily published by Working Designs (on the PS1)?

vireland

I3rand0 said:
How about Growlanser games? I loved the Generations packages you guys had on the PS2.

I'm not sure what's going on at Atlus, but I doubt they'd try again after GL V bombed hard. I'd love to give GL I and IV a proper showing, but both would need localization as well, so that's a whole 'nother leverl of PSN classics dedication. You need to buy a LOT of Alundra and Arc. :)

Teknoman

Man with Alundra...Ys VII, and the other Ys remakes coming out, PSP is going to be ARPG king for awhile.

...still havent finished Grandia 1 though.

vireland

ULTROS! said:
I'll totally get Alundra despite finishing it 3 years ago.

I do have a question: since Arc the Lad and Alundra were published by Working Designs on the PS1, will you guys be solely publishing the Working Designs PS1-published title or are you guys planning to publish other titles that are were not necessarily published by Working Designs (on the PS1)?

I'm working on licensing and releasing both WD and non-WD stuff. The press release coming (Monday, I think? I'm not handling it) will make it clearer.

RyanDG

So what are the chances of Elemental Gearbolt coming out with Move support. :lol

Please? My disk broke...

I3rand0

vireland said:
I'm not sure what's going on at Atlus, but I doubt they'd try again after GL V bombed hard. I'd love to give GL I and IV a proper showing, but both would need localization as well, so that's a whole 'nother leverl of PSN classics dedication. You need to buy a LOT of Alundra and Arc. :)

:lol I'll make multiple NA PSN accounts to ensure that happens :D

vireland

RyanDG said:
So what are the chances of Elemental Gearbolt coming out with Move support. :lol

Please? My disk broke...

We talked about this in another thread a month or so ago. Until the PS1 emulation has some kind of Move or lightgun support, the gun games will stay dead, unfortunately.

Phenomic

RyanDG said:

Please? My disk broke...

Darn I was beaten!

What are the chances of you finding one of the Gold GunCon in the Assassins Case I'd say about the same. :lol

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
vireland said:
I'm working on licensing and releasing both WD and non-WD stuff. The press release coming (Monday, I think? I'm not handling it) will make it clearer.

Cool beans. :D

I do hope Tomba and Thousand Arms would get published too *hinthint*.

Yasae

Banned
vireland said:
That's about how I feel. I bought the WD collection when it came out 8 years ago. Arc 1 was mediocre, Arc 2 was good, Arc 3 was average.

I really tried to like Twilight of Spirits, but it has nothing to do with Arc the Lad or the continuity of those characters. It's a bog standard RPG with bad presentation. It could have been named anything.
...still havent finished Grandia 1 though.
Ha! You're not missing much. There's another game I quit 25 hours in. You keep waiting for it to get interesting, but................... Nope. Good combat system though.

jeremy1456

vireland said:

I'll buy Alundra for sure.

But Vic, when can we expect the Lunar games? The next week?

Please say yes.

vireland

Phenomic said:
Darn I was beaten!

What are the chances of you finding one of the Gold GunCon in the Assassins Case I'd say about the same. :lol

I forever regret making only 50 of those instead of 100. I had no idea they'd be worth $3000 each 12 years in the future...

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
vireland said:
Playing it again getting things ready for this launch, I've been struck all over again by how fantastic the MUSIC is in the game. But it's all great - music, story, puzzles - it really is the superior Zelda experience, with a really dark storyline that Zelda would never touch.

Well, Kohei Tanaka is fucking awesome so yeah. :)

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
vireland said:
Huh? Maximo, as in Capcom's Maximo? I don't really see what relation that has to Alundra fans...

But yes, that'd be pretty awesome.

vireland

Shig said:
Huh? Maximo, as in Capcom's Maximo? I don't really see what relation that has to Alundra fans...

But yes, that'd be pretty awesome.

Similar styles of game, 2D vs 3D. I think there'd be a natural crossover, and it's a sin that series stopped at II.

RyanDG

vireland said:
We talked about this in another thread a month or so ago. Until the PS1 emulation has some kind of Move or lightgun support, the gun games will stay dead, unfortunately.

I guess I'm going to make it my responsibility to organize a mass e-mail/forum uprising over at the Sony website requesting this feature then... There are a handful of decent GunCon games that would be an interesting addition to the PSN store if it was possible to get them to work with the move via emulation. Probably would be too much work for them for the effort, but I've been craving to play some Elemental Gearbolt lately.

Phenomic said:
Darn I was beaten!

That's one of my holy grails that I'll eventually own. ;)

I absolutely adored Alundra back in the day. I would place it on a similar level as some of the 2D Zelda entries, and I encourage everyone who enjoys adventure games to download it. I recall a lot of frustration searching out the Life Vessels and Gilded Falcons, but it's quite rewarding to play through and explore every last corner of the world. The soundtrack is also a personal favourite, with very subdued and haunting themes.

I still kick myself for missing out on Arc the Lad, but it looks like I'll get my second chance. I'm still not sold on a second copy of Alundra, but I would gladly pay $5.99 to guarantee some future releases.

By the way, who owns the rights to Thunder Force? I'd love to see TFV on PSN, and I'd kill for TFIV (aka Lightening Force) on the VC.

sciplore

I was one of those weird people that actually liked Alundra 2 so I am willing to give the first a try since everyone seems to rave about it and despise the second.

ULTROS! said:
Cool beans. :D

I do hope Tomba and Thousand Arms would get published too *hinthint*.

What is the story behind this? I swore it was a Sony game so I never known why it never made it up on the store.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Yasae said:
............................And no love for Arc the Lad.

Which makes sense, as it wasn't too great.
Arc II ranks up there with the Quest Tactics games for "things that would consume my life if I could play them on PSP." Arc I is... a light apéritif.

vireland

SabinFigaro said:
By the way, who owns the rights to Thunder Force? I'd love to see TFV on PSN, and I'd kill for TFIV (aka Lightening Force) on the VC.

A little complicated with the demise of Tecnosoft, but I'm unraveling it. The rights did not die with the company.

ULTROS!

sciplore said:
What is the story behind this? I swore it was a Sony game so I never known why it never made it up on the store.

The company who developed it closed down and most of them moved to Access Games (Deadly Premonition, Lord of Arcana).

vireland said:
A little complicated with the demise of Tecnosoft, but I'm unraveling it. The rights did not die with the company.
That's pretty fantastic news, even with the prospect of simply being under consideration. It makes the pain of getting outbid (today) on an eBay auction of TFIV that much more bearable.

sciplore

ULTROS! said:
The company who developed it closed down and most of them moved to Access Games (Deadly Premonition, Lord of Arcana).
Ahh that sucks well hopefully it gets a chance of release.

Thinking of Thousand Arms I notice that Atlus have a crazy amount of backlog that have not been released (aside from the awesome Tactics 64 but that may have been nintendo's influence) I would love to be able to play Kartia on my psp.

Top Bottom