• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There's no way to see everything in a category on PSN

(For those following along, I'm using the NA PSN)

Here's something I wanted to do: I wanted to see all the PS1 Classics that were up on PSN! A pretty easy goal, I wanted to build my list of classics and see what was availale for purchase. The first thing I learned was that you can't use the web store to do this. If you were to go to Games->Classics (on the left hand side) the selection they show you is blatantly missing stuff. My default it sorts by release date, so Suikoden II shows up as the most recent, naturally. However, just one line down you can see that they have Namco Museum Vol 4 and 5, but no 1, 2, and 3. You can actually go through every page (all 296 options) and the Namco Museum games will not be found, despite the fact that they are A) on PSN, and B) tagged as PS1 Classics.

So clearly using the webstore isn't going to work, it just straight up won't show everything. Must be better on consoles, right? Well my TV is currently packed away as I prepare to move so I can't use my PS3, but I have my PSP! And my PSP should be able to check for this stuff! So I hop onto the store, click the PS1 classics button, and lo and behold a whole slew of new titles await me! But wait a second, these lists don't match.

On the webstore, sorting PS1 Classics A-Z, the first five options are: 2Xtreme, Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare, Alundra, Arc Arena: Monster Tournament, and Arc the Lad III.

On the PSP store, browsing PS1 Classics A-Z, the first five options are: All Star Slammin' D-ball, Alundra, Arc Arena: Monster Tournament, Arc the Lad, Arc the Lad II and Arc Arena Bundle

What the hell? NEITHER list is showing me all available games! Off the top of my head the PSP list doesn't show Mega Man X4 (but does show X5) or Suikoden II (but does shoe Suikoden). Who knows what sorts of things are totally available on PSN, but can't be found under any list.

To drive the point home further, sorting for All PSP games on the webstore returns 892 matches, between digital PSP games, PS1 games, and PS Minis. Doing the same on the PSP returns 944 games on the same type. Also none of the Mega Man X games are listed.

All PSN stores (have no PS4 so maybe that one isn't) are crap and Sony should be ashamed of what they're doing with it. Sometimes there is no way to find what you want to buy and everything is in weird catergories. Just an unorganized mess.

Gator86

All PSN stores (have no PS4 so maybe that one isn't) are crap and Sony should be ashamed of what they're doing with it.

Yup. The one on PS4 seems worse every time I open it. It's just filling with ads and worthless sections at an insane rate. We definitely need a shoe commercial category...

Kerned

Banned
Sony makes it incredibly difficult to give them money. I don't understand why all their stores are still complete garbage at this point.

Don't even get me started on the download list.

Sony makes it incredibly difficult to give them money. I don't understand why all their stores are still complete garbage at this point.

Don't even get me started on the download list.

Yeah, I'm 100% sure they're losing money every day because of their store design and organization and they're doing nothing about it. They're actively making it worse. It's maddening.

What I don't get is why PSN advertises PS+ for me when I am already a PS+ member. Shouldn't it just recognize that ?

Both PSN and XBox store are terrible. The xbox store sucks because they have multiple versions of the same damn game so its confusing sometimes (like day one edition and non day one edition etc).

The 360 xbox store was really good tho.

You would think, with their emphasis on digital sales...That these companies would make great Store Uis to make it easy and convenient to purchase from them. SMH

Kerned

Banned
No! Don't get ME started! Sony not only makes it hard to give them money, they make it damn near impossible to explore your own library.
Want to download a game you uninstalled from your Vita? Have fun scrolling through dozens and dozens of PS3 and PS4 games hoping to find it!

Sean

Banned
I find both the PS and Xbox stores to be really poorly designed. I don't even bother trying to browse them anymore.

Want to download a game you uninstalled from your Vita? Have fun scrolling through dozens and dozens of PS3 and PS4 games hoping to find it!

It automatically detects which ones can't be downloaded but lists them anyway. How that isn't hidden automatically or that there's no option for doing so

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TI82

Banned
Yeah, PSN is pretty damn annoying. It's weird because the computer version is very nice and easy to use.

nonnocere

Is it hard to see that I'm looking at Suikoden 2, so put Suikoden 1 in front of me since it isn't on my owned list from purchases, so I have to look for it myself?

oh my god the psn download list

(and also the piece of shit store)

jesus fuck

edit: someone needs to go mental on the internets about it, so that sony gets off their ass and does something about this shit. I can't be bothered
why isn't every person on the planet with a twitter and an email nailing them for this nonsense. I know the answer, everyone is as lazy as me :(

farisr

Aside from the download list, at least the web store is decent. Actually I consider it to be great now after attempting to use another webstore.

It automatically detects which ones can't be downloaded but lists them anyway. How that isn't hidden automatically or that there's no option for doing so

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

How about on PS3 where you can download both the PS3 and Vita versions and have no way of knowing which is which until the download is finished.

Delstius

Yeah PSN store is horrendous, unpractical and confusing. PS3 version being probably the worst of all.

Also, most of the time on the EU store there isn't even a damn screenshot of the game and on Vita you can't even know the damn size of the game.

Faustek

hah...is this irony?
A few weeks back only US store could show PS1 and PS2 classics in the fullest.
A talk with Jawad(great man) and last week I could sort them again in the webstore to see all available in EU region.

And now? Your telling me they removed it from US, goes to check...yepp. Hah, wtf Sony. Some of us love the PS1/2 games and regularly buy new ones we missed just to try them out.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

I just go to the store page through the Search menu and hit download on the game's page. It's very simple to use.

on XBL you'd have to search for your title or you'd go through this library of jpeg cover arts. I didn't know where to redownload, but I didn't have XBL for a couple years. I'll stick to searching and downloading from the main page.

Mephala

While we're picking on the store I want to add in that I'd like a simple Wishlist function so I can keep track of games I'd like to pickup if they ever go on sale.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
All PSN stores (have no PS4 so maybe that one isn't) are crap and Sony should be ashamed of what they're doing with it. Sometimes there is no way to find what yu want to buy and everything is in weird catergories. Just an unorganized mess.

I hate all of them. Web version is best...and even that sucks.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
No one brings up the 3DS e-shop? Try finding a random game from the main menu without having to narrow everything down or doing a search.

Faustek

I just go to the store page through the Search menu and hit download on the game's page. It's very simple to use.

on XBL you'd have to search for your title or you'd go through this library of jpeg cover arts. I didn't know where to redownload, but I didn't have XBL for a couple years. I'll stick to searching and downloading from the main page.

For those on the webstore.
There Exists Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey scripts that actually work for this.
Haven't restored any since the format though so don't remember the name.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
For those on the webstore.
There Exists Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey scripts that actually work for this.
Haven't restored any since the format though so don't remember the name.

I enjoy the PS4's Library section because it lists off all the games you own and you can add games without downloading them.

I can bet the XBO has the same thing or something similar. When you have 100+ games in your library it can get rather hard trying to find something without doing some sort of search. Even in services such as Steam you can press a letter in your list of games and go directly to the start of that letter alphabetically.

Faustek

holy shit, real? great!

Yepp...and I just checked...it says PS1/2 classics as the US store now...wtf?

Although I think all of them are there. We didn't have to many to begin with :(

I mean the "Legend of Kay" is there...was not a "classic" so to speak from what I remember.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
No one brings up the 3DS e-shop? Try finding a random game from the main menu without having to narrow everything down or doing a search.

At least their categories are logical. Sales. New games. Demos. All of those are always there plus a bunch of rotating categories. All nice and easy to find with big ass buttons. Trying to find shit on sale on the PSN can be harrowing especially if its a PS1 Classic.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
At least their categories are logical. Sales. New games. Demos. All of those are always there plus a bunch of rotating categories. All nice and easy to find with big ass buttons. Trying to find shit on sale on the PSN can be harrowing especially if its a PS1 Classic.

You still had running ads and a what's new section. It wasn't just sitting there alone. I own 30+ PS1 classics and all I do is search for them and download them again. I don't bother going down the list.

One hour trials are still there. You're in a store with movies, apps, themes, and the like. It boils down to memorizing where 'set games' are. I've become familiar with doing a specific search.

Artorias

Banned
The new PS store is just garbage. The old one was absolutely perfect. You could easily search ALL PS1 games, DLC by game title, all the new releases were in one place, you could separate each type of PSP compatible game...

The new one consistently discourages me from purchases. I used to pop on there as soon as the PS blog went up because it was literally faster to check new releases there than to scroll down and try to follow the mess of a post they put up. Funny enough, the PS blog post is now perfectly readable and the PS store isn't even worth launching until you've decided what to buy.

At least the 3DS eShop shows everything in a fucking category...

What's the point of even having these categories if different storefronts will ignore titles arbitrarily?

Maybe I'll plug my PS3 in to someone else's TV and compare

SummitAve

Banned
Yeah it reminds me of a small business website where most of it sits untouched, and only a small bit of essentials ever gets updated. Finding things is obtuse, and browsing is unpleasant.

Yepp...and I just checked...it says PS1/2 classics as the US store now...wtf?

Although I think all of them are there. We didn't have to many to begin with :(

I mean the "Legend of Kay" is there...was not a "classic" so to speak from what I remember.

hehe. legend of kay is nowhere near the worst game there. I kind of like it. hehe. anyway, this amazing browsing functionality just confirmed that I kind of already own all the good ps2 games on psn. there are still a couple of nice games I'll pick up, swords of destiny, steel dragon ex and gungrave overdose. but bu bu. need more.

braves01

Banned
Yeah, it sucks. If you click digital only games, you can sort by category, but not if you pick all games.

Also, am I crazy or did Raiden III get quietly removed from PS2 classics?

I feel like I have been saying this a lot lately but I am convinced that no one at Sony really uses their own products. It would explain so much about them.

The store on the PS3 is probably the worst user experience of a digital store that I've ever had. Just scrolling through the main menu lags. Trying to find anything besides the promo crap they want you to see? Good luck. Who signed off on this thing at Sony?

Yeah, it sucks. If you click digital only games, you can sort by category, but not if you pick all games.

Also, am I crazy or did Raiden III get quietly removed from PS2 classics?

There probably would have been a thread on it if there was any way to check other than literally searching "Raiden III"

Anyway, I give up on this nonsense. Fuck you Sony. I can't believe you let this grow into such a problem

knkng

Yeah, it sucks. Back when I had my PS3 I only ever bought physical releases, so I never noticed, but having recently picked up the PSTV, I can say that the PSN store on this thing is a goddamn mess. Here are some things I've noticed (PSTV store):

- Games compatible with the system not available in the store
- Apps not compatible with the system are available and can be downloaded
- No advanced search (PSP, Minis and PSOne games all listed under classic, with no way to separate them)
- Some PSOne games listed in the Vita section for no reason
- Inconsistent icons (most PSOne games are indicated as such on the icon, but others just use standard box art)
- Inconsistent listings (The info listed with each game seems to be random, as are provided screenshots)

It feels like ten different people put this store together, and none of them ever bothered to communicate with each other. It's been a very poor experience overall.

I miss the old store.

This is so flashy.

They need smaller icons to show more content at once and better organization. Let me also subscribe to game content to get updates from them without having to search for them

Faustek

hehe. legend of kay is nowhere near the worst game there. I kind of like it. hehe. anyway, this amazing browsing functionality just confirmed that I kind of already own all the good ps2 games on psn. there are still a couple of nice games I'll pick up, swords of destiny, steel dragon ex and gungrave overdose. but bu bu. need more.

Know nothing of Kay. Reason why I don't think it was a "classic". And yepp, missing tons of games :(
Every RPG should be there....please?

Yeah, it sucks. Back when I had my PS3 I only ever bought physical releases, so I never noticed, but having recently picked up the PSTV, I can say that the PSN store on this thing is a goddamn mess. Here are some things I've noticed (PSTV store):

- Games compatible with the system not available in the store
- Apps not compatible with the system are available and can be downloaded
- No advanced search (PSP, Minis and PSOne games all listed under classic, with no way to separate them)
- Some PSOne games listed in the Vita section for no reason
- Inconsistent icons (most PSOne games are indicated as such on the icon, but others just use standard box art)
- Inconsistent listings (The info listed with each game seems to be random, as are provided screenshots)

It feels like ten different people put this store together, and none of them ever bothered to communicate with each other. It's been a very poor experience overall.

Sony was pushed into digital distribution much quicker than they wanted or were expecting at the beginning of last generation and have just added stuff onto their bad system ever since instead of doing a major overhaul. It shows.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yes but WHY IS THAT? I want to fucking BROWSE. Browsing makes me spend more money

PSN needs a Discovery Update

It needs something alright. Better categories with everything in it for a start. Everything in the right place for another. Not being slow as shit for a third.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
At least the 3DS eShop shows everything in a fucking category...

What's the point of even having these categories if different storefronts will ignore titles arbitrarily?

Maybe I'll plug my PS3 in to someone else's TV and compare

You're still chugging through lists unless Nintendo has dedicated an entire section to a certain game. The PS3 store had the downloads list, but it was pretty easy to see 40+(?) PS1 or PS2 games. The PS4 is much more convenient, but still. I don't necessarily have a downloads list of all my 3DS games I've purchased. I can go back into each page and hopefully I've signed into my Nintendo account so my games have been saved in the system. I know a few titles I bought haven't shown up through Club Nintendo, but that was probably from not registering my console from the start.

The PSN store hasn't angered me too much. I just search for the game or movie and that's it. If I want to go back the new UI has helped sort what I bought.

You could say the iOS store is about the same way as the PS3. You have to scroll through a list of what you bought or you can do search for it and download it again from the store's page. The app store is notorious for that.

I don't mind a list when it's 10 or 15 items, but I have over 100+ games and/or apps. I'm not about to start at the bottom and scroll up. I'd probably change my mind on what I wanted to redownload. I'm saying the search feature is your best option for any online service.

Jeels

Ps4 store has gotten consistently worse since launch. I dont mind them adding ads all over the place, but there are more ad categories than legitimate store categories and I ho estly cant navigate the store to casually browse content. I literally have to know the name of the game I want.

Also entire categories such as avatars are missing.

You're still chugging through lists unless Nintendo has dedicated an entire section to a certain game. The PS3 store had the downloads list, but it was pretty easy to see 40+(?) PS1 or PS2 games. The PS4 is much more convenient, but still. I don't necessarily have a downloads list of all my 3DS games I've purchased. I can go back into each page and hopefully I've signed into my Nintendo account so my games have been saved in the system. I know a few titles I bought haven't shown up through Club Nintendo, but that was probably from not registering my console from the start.

The PSN store hasn't angered me too much. I just search for the game or movie and that's it. If I want to go back the new UI has helped sort what I bought.

You could say the iOS store is about the same way as the PS3. You have to scroll through a list of what you bought or you can do search for it and download it again from the store's page. The app store is notorious for that.

I don't mind a list when it's 10 or 15 items, but I have over 100+ games and/or apps. I'm not about to start at the bottom and scroll up. I'd probably change my mind on what I wanted to redownload. I'm saying the search feature is your best option for any online service.

Actually the eShop got an amazing update where your download list is now "Things Not Already Downloaded". It shows stuff tied to your account, but filters out what's already on your device so you can focus on what's not there.

And remember, my problem isn't lists. Inherently, a lot of titles have to be presented in a list format. If you read my OP, it's that even with all the sorting options, the lists are missing crucial information, or in some cases downright lying. Sorting for the same thing on two different consoles will give you two different results

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Actually the eShop got an amazing update where your download list is now "Things Not Already Downloaded". It shows stuff tied to your account, but filters out what's already on your device so you can focus on what's not there.

And remember, my problem isn't lists. Inherently, a lot of titles have to be presented in a list format. If you read my OP, it's that even with all the sorting options, the lists are missing crucial information, or in some cases downright lying. Sorting for the same thing on two different consoles will give you two different results

Yep on both of these. The second one can be a huge problem for Vita owners where sometimes a person might be informed incorrectly whether a PS1 Classic will work on their system or not.

Top Bottom