• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There's no way to see everything in a category on PSN

jblank83

PS4 store is *expletivedeleted* garbage.

I search for a game and I get 30 movie recommendations.
I try to find the games category and I have to crawl through Sony Electronics ads.
Games category is something like 15th or 20th down the list.
I can't delimit searches on price ranges, or hardly any other criteria for that matter.
There are ads in ads in ads in ads.
"Hey, dude. Want to watch a movie? Aw, are you sure? Movies are awesome. Watch a movie. WATCH A MOVIE, MAN. Watch a god damn movie or else :mad:" all over the place.
Design is dedicated to huge in your face pictures, not readability or ease of use, which makes it awful to navigate. It's like they had 12 year olds design the store. "Pictures are AWESOME! Words SUCK!!!!"

There isn't even a fricking wishlist. Come on.

All PSN stores (have no PS4 so maybe that one isn't) are crap and Sony should be ashamed of what they're doing with it. Sometimes there is no way to find what you want to buy and everything is in weird catergories. Just an unorganized mess.

I can assure you that the PS4 store is utter shit. Big-ass, unnecessary tiles, ads everywhere. It's a god damned mess.

jblank83

Even Nintendo's got that, lol. And it would actually be useful on PSN so you don't have to navigate through a million screens to find something you're interested in again.

The eShop does a lot of things better. Its search functionality is very good, for instance. You can delimit searches based on a variety of variables, including price range.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Unfortunately this only works for games that still exist. Games that have been de-listed can only be retrieved from your download history.

I knew someone would bring this up. I'd say the 20:10 ratios of games versus movies on PS3 is because it's an older console. The majority of PS4's store are movies because there is barely anything taking up space besides newer releases and possibly PSNow.

They tag everything with a MOVIE or GAME tag, so it makes it easier.

I don't think any online store would be excellent. Even when you buy from GameStop.com you're still searching a list becasue what's NEW is everywhere on the main page. I'm saying work with it, not at it.

Even years ago when I played the PS3 you could jump to PSOne or PSTwo classics section and then sort that section by category or a-z and whatnot.

Sounds like some folk need to learn to use the sort function. Like in your library if you want to redownload a game just sort my A-Z and jump to the letter for that game. Hell on the Ps4 there is a search button where you can type in Dri and it will bring up DriveClub for example as an option.

There are some things that are funny though like demos showing up in one section of the store while another section will have a different set of demos. But yeh never really had issues finding stuff though

Even years ago when I played the PS3 you could jump to PSOne or PSTwo classics section and then sort that section by category or a-z and whatnot.

Sounds like some folk need to learn to use the sort function. Like in your library if you want to redownload a game just sort my A-Z and jump to the letter for that game. Hell on the Ps4 there is a search button where you can type in Dri and it will bring up DriveClub for example as an option.

There are some things that are funny though like demos showing up in one section of the store while another section will have a different set of demos. But yeh never really had issues finding stuff though

I'm using the sorting function as intended, I'm just explaining in my OP that it's basically broken.

Rival

Gold Member
The playstation store won't even let me purchase anything right now for some reason so it makes no difference what I can and cannot see. Thank you sony for not letting me buy suikoden 2.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Actually the eShop got an amazing update where your download list is now "Things Not Already Downloaded". It shows stuff tied to your account, but filters out what's already on your device so you can focus on what's not there.

And remember, my problem isn't lists. Inherently, a lot of titles have to be presented in a list format. If you read my OP, it's that even with all the sorting options, the lists are missing crucial information, or in some cases downright lying. Sorting for the same thing on two different consoles will give you two different results

That's a good thing. I have one or two titles not on my DS card, but I couldn't quite figure how to redownload my free game from the promotion they did with Luigi's Mansion. I also saw that I missed a few points from expired surveys.

Redownloadable Software has 1 title I got (SM3DL) and 2 things I never knew I had: Dinosaur Office and Swapnote.

Using the same steps the OP took I can see the games they can't see. What gives?

On the webstore I went to All Games and then selected PS One Classics. It's sorting by release date.

Going as far as the relevant games discussed I see in order:

Suikoden II
Chess
Boxing
Kickboxing
Strider 2
Vib-Ribbon
All five Namco Museum games
Mega Man X5
Mega Man X4
etc.

So was it suddenly fixed? I skimmed the replies so maybe I missed if someone else already brought this up and there's a reason already found.

I do think the game count looks low as it only brought up 206 results but I honestly have no idea how many PS One classics there are.

Edit: Well, nevermind. Just noticed they went Games --> Classics whereas I was in the Games section and went All Games --> PS One Classics.

You have to know what youre looking for, it's so stupid. You can't just browse and find a hidden gem or nugget.
I bought so many games on xbox 360 because I would dive into the marketplace and find something I'd never heard of before. Helped with screenshots, trailers and even demo's.
PSstore rarely has screenshots of the game you're buying (hell, they don't even let you preview most themes).

On PS4 it got a little better, but it's still not catergorized properly.

Edit: Well, nevermind. Just noticed they went Games --> Classics whereas I was in the Games section and went All Games --> PS One Classics.

So if I go Games->Classics->PSOne Classics, I get 192 results

If I go Games->All Games->PSOne Classics, I get 206 results

Fucking brilliant

So if I go Games->Classics->PSOne Classics, I get 192 results

If I go Games->All Games->PSOne Classics, I get 206 results

Fucking brilliant

You get the same sort of variance if you get to all the PS2 games both ways.

Classics doesn't contain every "classic" but if you do All Games and select the system you want I'm guessing that's when you see every available choice. I honestly have always used All Games and didn't even know there was a Classics section outside of it which is why I pulled my list a different way.

Not making any excuses as it's fairly dumb to exclude a very small set (and seemingly random) of games from the Classics section but if I was looking for something or wanting to browse I always go to the "All Games" sort of thing before filtering because I always assume the other categories are subsets with hand-picked options. That's just my thinking on it.

Again, doesn't seem Classics is for hand-picked classic games and instead is mostly everything except a few dozen games that didn't get flagged properly.

All the gaming stores are fairly shitty.

mujun

The Playstation 4 Store is shit and so is the 360 one.

I can't believe that I can't just look at everything in a certain category (downloadable game, full retail games, etc) from the newest to the oldest with prices on the list ala something like Amazon.

Both online and off!

The 360's store was pissing me off just the other day. I can't just look at a list in chronological order on the PC version. I can on the console, though. Why?

I can't use the points on my account to buy stuff on the PC version, why?

Prices aren't friggin rounded to the nearest dollar (I know if they were every damned thing would be $16, too!). I've got something like $15.53 and everything that used to be 1200 points is $15.47 or something stupid like that. One recent addition to the list of downloadable games however is not the standard $15.47 but $15.63.

To be honest it's a part of why I've basically given up on downloadable games and ignore them for the most part (combined with the fact that I like more meaty games and the hassle of using the U.S. store from Japan).

Get your shit sorted MS and Sony.

Not that Nintendo is any better. Their 3DS system is so horrifically bad that I just pretend that it doesn't exist to save myself the frustration.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Wii U easily has the best digital games shop. It's fast, everything is laid out well and best of all because there's so few games on it you'll never get tired browsing it all.

The search options are really deep as well.

Wii U easily has the best digital games shop. It's fast, everything is laid out well and best of all because there's so few games on it you'll never get tired browsing it all.

The search options are really deep as well.

That's what I was thinking. The Wii U shop is reasonable because it doesn't have the strain of 4000 titles on it

Both a blessing and a curse

(But also its searching and categories work)

Ok, bumping my thread instead of making a new one, because I thought this might be fixed when I got a Vita. But it's not. See, I want to avoid using my PS3 for things these days. Like I want to continue playing my backlog of games on it, but the store is trash but I don't want to use it, and if a game is available on PS3/PS4/PSV, I'll either get it on PS4 or PSV. I'm essentially done with my PS3. But thankfully Sony has decided for me that I'm NOT done with my PS3, because it's the only way to see a whole bunch of stuff. Even stuff playable on PS Vita

The Vita can play PS1 games. Not all of them, but most of them available on PSN. Here's the current tally when I try to find all the PS1 games on different storefronts, for those who want to keep track:

PS3: 249 PS1 games findable by going to the correct section (Games->Classics->PS1 Classics)

Website: 213 PS1 games if I go Games->All Games->Check the box for PS1 Classics. Even less (only 197) if I go Games->Classics->Check the box for PS1 Classics

PS Vita: All "classics" (PS1/PSP/PSM) are lumped together, so by manually counting I've determined there are only 84 PS1 games actually in the classics section. 84!!! Out of 249*. To be clear, a bunch of other PS1 games are purchasable downloadable on the Vita, but you have to specifically search for them to get any indication that they are there

I cannot believe that Sony let it get this bad. Browsing is impossible on any of their storefronts: PS3's store is slow as shit and has crashed my system multiple times, but seems to be the most "complete" save for PS4 games. PS4's store only shows.. well, PS4 games. Which makes sense I guess since you still can't transfer Vita content from PS4 like you can with PS3 (which again, absolute insanity. What is Sony doing?). PS Vita's is so woefully incomplete for any PS1/PSP games nobody should even bother. Like it's a joke unless you search for exactly what you want. Even the webstore won't ever show anything in a particular category, the PS3 does a better job

You know what the kicker is? This will never get fixed. Sony doesn't even care.

*I'm assuming the PS3 store, with the most PS1 games at 249, is showing all available PS1 games on PSN. it may not be, we'll never know.

Card Boy

Banned
How about on PS3 where you can download both the PS3 and Vita versions and have no way of knowing which is which until the download is finished.

Fucken this!

I only know which is which because I only download the larger version which is most likely to be PS3.

Tizoc

Another option to see what PSX games there are, is to do a search for all items on the store but set the price range so it is between 5-10 dollars.

Nosgotham

Yup psn fucking sucks. It used to be good back in the day on PS3. Easy to navigate and such. Now i just avoid buying anything on the system itself.

Maybe I'm a little confused here OP, but I agree that the store sucks, it used to be way better especially for searching.

But the best way I have found was using the webstore.

Games>Play>Classics Then on the left, tick PS Vita and it shows 161 matches.

Jimrpg

I don't understand why it's so hard to build a digital store. Even Apples which is probably better than most sucks. Just one example, everything is under iTunes and it's all so cluttered.

PSN store is incredibly slow on every platform, on the ps4, when I browse titles, I can only see 9 titles at once.

The singstar store is the worst store of all time.

joecanada

What's sad is how hard is it to just have categories for each type of game. I downloaded a Vita game onto my pstv and guess what? This game isn't compatible on PSTV message after I download it... Fucking garbage

All PSN stores (have no PS4 so maybe that one isn't) are crap and Sony should be ashamed of what they're doing with it. Sometimes there is no way to find what you want to buy and everything is in weird catergories. Just an unorganized mess.

This is very true. How many categories do you have to scroll down before you get to "Games" on the PS4? It definitely needs to be cleaned up.

Top Bottom