• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I a filthy casual if I find all the Lord of the Rings films mind numbingly boring?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'd recommend watching the behind the scenes documentaries. All 3 movies combined, it's 9 hours of footage, and it's compelling and well made. Half the marvel of the movies is seeing all that they accomplished when making them. It was especially impressive 20 years ago when it was shattering everyone's expectations.

It's easier to get invested in the movies if you know more about the books, the art design, the actors, the lore, the extreme attention to detail. It's a decent substitute for reading the books since it explains a decent chunk of the backstory and discusses the script adaptations and has interviews with Tolkien experts as well.

feynoob

Not really. Some shows and movies are hard to enjoy them, due to different taste.

I have no interest watching GOT and walking dead. Yet, I enjoyed watching Z nation and zoo first 2 season.

It's all about how you enjoy the delivery. Z nation main character Murphy makes the show for me. While zoo concept is cool, even though the series isn't that great.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I love Fellowship and love Return of the King, but Two Towers bores me to tears.

But as other said, watch the documentaries, they are amazing and he best part of the whole thing. A film lovers dream.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
lord of the rings laughing GIF

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I've only seen the 3 LOTR movies. Never read the books, watched The Hobbit movies, and I only saw a tidbit of the old 1970s movie.

I enjoyed the movies. But to be honest, I liked the fighting and Aragorn scenes the most. I found the hobbit characters annoying, especially those 2 bumbling ones (not Elijah Wood and Sean Astin). And anything to with Gollum was dreadful.

I'm going to assume the movies are pretty faithful to the books, so cant get around it but I found the trilogy similar to many superhero movies - just too many characters.

lachesis

I wasn't really into TLOR series - but my child is now really into it, and I watched the whole 6 movies, all extended ver - over the holidays.
I ended up enjoying it very much - the extended part which filled in and explained some stuff that I felt odd on theatrical releases and all.

Still not too into all that historical things that preceding the events... like elvish history and all - but even without that - the whole story of The Hobbit / TLOR seems to have plenty meat to chew on and enjoy just by themselves too. :)

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I enjoyed the first and second one

That one scene with the self sacrificing arrow death was dope af

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
And when I feel fat I sometimes remember that quote from the elves to the dwarf like we could here you breathing miles away lol

Jsisto

I respect everyone's opinion

Ok, lay it on me what you love about them
Everything? Deep lore, well developed, lovable characters(except Frodo lol)amazing action scenes. Every time I watch them I walk away feeling better than I did before. They’re feel good movies. I dont even know what else to say. If you don’t like them, nothing I say will convince you. Not everyone has to like everything I guess.

Last edited:
I've tried soooooooooo many times to get into FoTR, TTT and RoTK. So many. The trilogy as a whole just fails in the engagement and pacing part. Maybe if I read the books first, I would have loved the films?

What say you
I'd seen the OG LOTR trilogy in theaters before and thought they were fine. Then I smoked and watched the entire trilogy in one sitting. They built a fully-immersive world filled with noble characters. The Shire represents all that's good in this world and it MUST be preserved.

Everything? Deep lore, well developed, lovable characters(except Frodo lol)amazing action scenes. Every time I watch them I walk away feeling better than I did before. They’re feel good movies. I dont even know what else to say. If you don’t like them, nothing I say will convince you. Not everyone has to like everything I guess.

You don't need to be defensive, I was genuinely interested

Wasn’t at all trying to be defensive. You asked what I liked about them and I tried my best to explain. It sounds like you’ve watched them already and didn’t like them, so I was just stating that I doubt anything said will change that. It’s totally fine if you don’t like them.

Yeah man, I was just trying to gain some more perspective of what made the films cool that I may have missed

tkscz

Nah, I love the movies but they are hard core fantasy. If you can't get into the fantasy of it, it becomes a movie of random events happening while walking to a far destination.

Nah, I love the movies but they are hard core fantasy. If you can't get into the fantasy of it, it becomes a movie of random events happening while walking to a far destination.

I think maybe I'm a dark fantasy fan. This book was my life when I was 6 or 7

TrolltoothFoil.jpg

Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone were life

I did grow up on fantasy

Last edited:
Read the books when I was 17 years old...Did not enjoy them that much...Watched Jackson's trilogy to see if I could immerse myself in the world, but that did not work either. Just like Star Wars, it just never resonated with me.

INC

First I've heard actuality

I always assumed it was a metaphor for homosexuality

Frodo and Sam are quite obviously gay, and a fellowship of men trying to protect their gayness, so they can destroy a ring

Golem being the internal voice of someone who can't quite decide if he is gay or not, so the ring drives him mad

All the while being looked down on by a giant eye (god), trying to stop them destroy a ring

Either way frodo and Sam are pretty gay

And yeh the films are boring, but I admire the production value and scale of it all.

Last edited:
I always assumed it was a metaphor for homosexuality

Frodo and Sam are quite obviously gay, and a fellowship of men trying to protect their gayness, so they can destroy a ring

Golem being the internal voice of someone who can't quite decide if he is gay or not, so the ring drives him mad

All the while being looked down on by a giant eye (god), trying to stop them destroy a ring

Either way frodo and Sam are pretty gay

And yeh the films are boring, but I admire the production value and scale of it all.

Now I have a reason to re-watch!

Mistake

Was your initial experience in a theater or imax? I find that I enjoy films that feel more expansive when I’m in a bigger place. I can see people not liking the extended versions as much too

Was your initial experience in a theater or imax? I find that I enjoy films that feel more expansive when I’m in a bigger place. I can see people not liking the extended versions as much too

I saw Two Towers in the cinema that was the thing of the time

New Years day 2003 I think it was

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
I think maybe I'm a dark fantasy fan. This book was my life when I was 6 or 7

TrolltoothFoil.jpg

Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone were life

I did grow up on fantasy

Wow, I have that book too but haven't read it yet. I'm a huge FF fan as well.

It's understandable if you can't get into LoTR if you're not familiar with the original source material and more used to D&D and FF and "modern" fantasy.
I can also see how you might find hobbits to be lame and the "low magic" world a bit boring. ie all you see Gandalf and Saruman do in the movies is wave their glowing staves around and hit people with them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom