• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I a filthy casual if I find all the Lord of the Rings films mind numbingly boring?

Madflavor

As someone already mentioned, you're not casual, you just have a short attention span and poor taste. Even if Fantasy ain't your jam, you should recognize how expertly crafted those films are, especially in comparison to today's Factory Filmmaking that comes out of Hollywood.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
As someone already mentioned, you're not casual, you just have a short attention span and poor taste. Even if Fantasy ain't your jam, you should recognize how expertly crafted those films are, especially in comparison to today's Factory Filmmaking that comes out of Hollywood.

If fantasy isn't his jam then is it not quite normal to have less patience and attention?

Taste is subjective. You know this. I hope.

And maybe, just maybe not everyone wants to watch 9 hours for the sole reason of how expertly crafted they are.

Shocked Oh No GIF by Yêu Lu

Madflavor

If fantasy isn't his jam then is it not quite normal to have less patience and attention?

Taste is subjective. You know this. I hope.

Yes I do. But I’m talking about being able to recognize something as good or bad, even if it’s not something you personally enjoy.

-Minsc-

I've tried soooooooooo many times to get into FoTR, TTT and RoTK. So many. The trilogy as a whole just fails in the engagement and pacing part. Maybe if I read the books first, I would have loved the films?

What say you
I really enjoyed them back in my twenties. Now that twenty years have passed it's hard to say. My tastes may have changed.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yes I do. But I’m talking about being able to recognize something as good or bad, even if it’s not something you personally enjoy.

Yes I can read English (mostly) and gave you a good argument why one should not bother anyways.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
The wife and I will watch all 3 back to back over a weekend at least once a year, absolutely love these films and can't understand how anyone could not appreciate them, the sheer amount of love and talent from all involved is in every single frame

Synless

Lord of the Rings Trilogy is like High fashion, wine, scotch, or any other high end product. Everything else is just last low end garbage.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
it sounds hilariously ignorant to say on a forum dedicated to videogame otakus but LOTR and Tolkien is just far too fucking nerdy. I never liked it either.

By far too nerdy I mean I would cringe explaining why I enjoy it to anyone who has no idea what is. At least video-games are cool nowadays

Last edited:

Madflavor

Yes I can read English (mostly) and gave you a good argument why one should not bother anyways.

You didn't give a good argument because the guy in question created this thread to specifically ask whether he's a filthy casual or not for not liking LoTR, therefore opening the door for criticizing his taste. This isn't the place to lecture people on subjectivity.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
You didn't give a good argument because the guy in question created this thread to specifically ask whether he's a filthy casual or not for not liking LoTR, therefore opening the door for criticizing his taste. This isn't the place to lecture people on subjectivity.

That's your interpretation. Enjoy it

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The books are far superior, but if you find the films boring then you're not going to enjoy the books.

Tolkien's work isn't for everyone. Just accept it isn't for you and move on. That's what I did with Brandon Sanderson's novels. Everyone loves them and thinks Sanderson is the second coming, but I found his books boring and bloated. I just accepted that Sanderson wasn't for me and moved on.

it sounds hilariously ignorant to say on a forum dedicated to videogame otakus but LOTR and Tolkien is just far too fucking nerdy. I never liked it either.

By far too nerdy I mean I would cringe explaining why I enjoy it to anyone who has no idea what is. At least video-games are cool nowadays
Who the hell doesn’t know what LotR is these days?

I've never watched any of them. But it's the way of things with Hollywood. They constantly milk everything dry, to the point where it's a shell of its former self.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I never read the books, but I love the movies! Epic and emotional and funny and exciting!

I also love comic book movies and B-movie martial arts fests!

OZ9000

Banned
It is possibly the greatest trilogy ever.

I can never get tired from watching LOTR.

Now my question is if the extended versions are superior to the original? Is the extra content meaningful and enjoyable or is it padding?

Last edited:
I'd seen the OG LOTR trilogy in theaters before and thought they were fine. Then I smoked and watched the entire trilogy in one sitting. They built a fully-immersive world filled with noble characters. The Shire represents all that's good in this world and it MUST be preserved.
You smoke some of that dank ass pipe weed?

Chronicle

They're terrible. Sam dragged that bitch frodo all over hells half acre, saved his sand bagging ass a hundred times. Carried his crying drama queen ass up a mountain and not one thanks. Stupid films. Fuck frodo. What a bitch!

Banjo64

cumsessed
Saw the trilogy when I was a kid at the cinema with my brother and mum. Hadn’t seen anything like it at the time. High fantasy taken seriously rather than something to be poked fun at. Battles like Helm’s Deep, jaw dropping in scale. As bad as Gollum’s CGI has aged, the CGI overall was stunning at the time. Obviously when I rewatch it now that’s the lens I have.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
This is just down to advancements in technology and entertainment chopping 80% of people's attentions off, annually.

Taste is different for everyone, but I'll tell you what, I haven't engaged in one piece of media in the past fifteen years that was a slow boil start and didn't get TORN APART critically for being too "slow," or "boring,"

Like, I completely accept that that's just some people's taste. But I do find myself wondering if that taste hasn't been irrevocably altered by the dopamine drip feed instant gratification of the information age.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I'm going to say something controversial...

The Amazon show is better.

The movies, the character seem very... Boring and flat.

The show gave the personality. It showed how emotionally broken they all are.

The movies focused too much on the lore and less on the characters.

As someone who actually liked the show...

Are you on crack? Meth? WTH dude?!

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
As someone who actually liked the show...

Are you on crack? Meth? WTH dude?!

I admired your courage (and that other lad that loved all the Disney stuff) in that thread :D

This is just down to advancements in technology and entertainment chopping 80% of people's attentions off, annually.

Taste is different for everyone, but I'll tell you what, I haven't engaged in one piece of media in the past fifteen years that was a slow boil start and didn't get TORN APART critically for being too "slow," or "boring,"

Like, I completely accept that that's just some people's taste. But I do find myself wondering if that taste hasn't been irrevocably altered by the dopamine drip feed instant gratification of the information age.

Andor was criticised by some 'Star Wars fans' for being too slow and not having enough easter eggs. Ironic because Andor is the best Star Wars show ever made.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I admired your courage (and that other lad that loved all the Disney stuff) in that thread :D

Andor was criticised by some 'Star Wars fans' for being too slow and not having enough easter eggs. Ironic because Andor is the best Star Wars show ever made.

Everything is getting so watered down in the name of being attention grabbing and digestible, and people just seem to generally love it.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Anyone who says Andor isn't Star Wars is, as the Brits say, taking the piss!

And I like to be entertained... I like a wide berth of content... From The Godfather to Annihilation to Pootie-Tang

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
You just need to refresh your perspective, that's it

Damn right. Ate a piece of molded bread this morning. I was channeling my inner Don Carlo Don Carlo and thought mold>mushrooms; mushroom are great. Go at it. Having some really funky farts atm and I cant feel my right foot

Last edited:

Scotty W

I've tried soooooooooo many times to get into FoTR, TTT and RoTK. So many. The trilogy as a whole just fails in the engagement and pacing part. Maybe if I read the books first, I would have loved the films?

What say you
I don’t blame you at all.

I loved and watched the movies when they were brand new, but once the trilogy finished, I never looked back.

I think the books would be really interesting, especially if you have an interest in medieval literature. I have only read a bit of the Simarillion which was actually great; pure Hesiodic Platonic goodness.

If it doesn’t grab you, just ignore it. I appreciate the films but I suspect that they have cheapened the literary aspect of the books.

Mexen

I'd recommend watching the behind the scenes documentaries. All 3 movies combined, it's 9 hours of footage, and it's compelling and well made. Half the marvel of the movies is seeing all that they accomplished when making them. It was especially impressive 20 years ago when it was shattering everyone's expectations.

It's easier to get invested in the movies if you know more about the books, the art design, the actors, the lore, the extreme attention to detail. It's a decent substitute for reading the books since it explains a decent chunk of the backstory and discusses the script adaptations and has interviews with Tolkien experts as well.
This is why I was able to watch Prometheus. I watched many videos on how the movie was made and suddenly my interest was piqued.

I found the Fellowship of the Ring amazing, the Two Towers to drag a bit, and Return of the King to be a great substitute for a lullabye. As the movies progressed, so did the amount of pointless dialogue and the action lost its intensity.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I found the Fellowship of the Ring amazing, the Two Towers to drag a bit, and Return of the King to be a great substitute for a lullabye. As the movies progressed, so did the amount of pointless dialogue and the action lost its intensity.
Battle of Pellenor Fields? Battle of Helms Deep? Boring? No intensity?

Say what?!

The scale of engagements is irrelevant if nothing of note happens. The cave ambush and Uruk ambush in the Fellowship of the Ring were more eventful than those large scale battles in the later movies.

Last edited:
Top Bottom