• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I a filthy casual if I find all the Lord of the Rings films mind numbingly boring?

StormCell

I've tried soooooooooo many times to get into FoTR, TTT and RoTK. So many. The trilogy as a whole just fails in the engagement and pacing part. Maybe if I read the books first, I would have loved the films?

What say you
I don't know what it means to be a casual, but I would say that you are definitely normal. I once fell asleep watching one of the movies. A big battle with walking trees was taking place. When I stirred to the battle appeared to still be going but now there were giant birds in the fight. I looked at the clock and 2 hours had passed. Apparently, they were two separate battles, but I couldn't tell it. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

I don't know what it means to be a casual, but I would say that you are definitely normal. I once fell asleep watching one of the movies. A big battle with walking trees was taking place. When I stirred to the battle appeared to still be going but now there were giant birds in the fight. I looked at the clock and 2 hours had passed. Apparently, they were two separate battles, but I couldn't tell it. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Lord of the Snooze for me

That's just me

Nah, different strokes for folks.

I like the movies because they're well-made and because this guy is a fucking G:

lord of the rings GIF

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I think maybe I'm a dark fantasy fan. This book was my life when I was 6 or 7

TrolltoothFoil.jpg

Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone were life

I did grow up on fantasy
Man I loved fighting fantasy books.
As for the Lord of the Rings movies - one part is seeing the books adapted as well as you could ever hope for them to be. But they are also just epic fantasy movies that have multiple interwoven plot lines that never get out of control or die on the vine (looking at you GoT). You have a ton of lore underpinning everything so it feels like a real world with a past that has lead to this point and nothing feels like an arbitrary plot point. And just some amazing set-pieces, great battles, amazing scenery. You have a huge cast of characters but you feel like each has a unique story and you never feel like you are missing out on one person's plot while they show you another. It's just the best classic fantasy you could hope to see in an epic trilogy of movies.

Man I loved fighting fantasy books.
As for the Lord of the Rings movies - one part is seeing the books adapted as well as you could ever hope for them to be. But they are also just epic fantasy movies that have multiple interwoven plot lines that never get out of control or die on the vine (looking at you GoT). You have a ton of lore underpinning everything so it feels like a real world with a past that has lead to this point and nothing feels like an arbitrary plot point. And just some amazing set-pieces, great battles, amazing scenery. You have a huge cast of characters but you feel like each has a unique story and you never feel like you are missing out on one person's plot while they show you another. It's just the best classic fantasy you could hope to see in an epic trilogy of movies.

Thing is, they aren't epic enough for me

The downtime is sooooooo slooooow

anthraticus

Banned
I think maybe I'm a dark fantasy fan. This book was my life when I was 6 or 7

TrolltoothFoil.jpg

Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone were life

I did grow up on fantasy
Even d&d went to a more 'epic and heroic' narrative vibe, as opposed to the 1st edition's more gritty pulp dungeon crawling 'swords and sorcery' type feel.

2E was also the golden age of TSR campaign settings like Planescape, Ravenloft and Dark Sun. So it does have a lot to offer, but also it lost that classic charm of 1E - demons, devils, bare boobs..... removed to make it more acceptable to the mainstream.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I was pretty lukewarm on the movies when they first came out. My appreciation has grown considerably after focusing on the themes.

Sacrifice, bravery, friendship, duty, time, corruption etc...

c4cc58974585cfbfa88c82942954091b.gif

If scenes like this do nothing for you...it's just not your bag.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I watched them all when they came out and honestly, i was like what is this trash. They got better with each movie. I liked the Gandalf fight scene in the Two Towers intro and the finale battle but everything in the middle was boring. ROTK was the best because it had an awesome finale but 80% of that movie was a snoozefest.

With all that said, around ten years ago he hobbit came out and i fell in love with that world. Everyone hated the hobbit, but im like this is old school filmmaking. It takes its time to setup characters, the world, and just absorbs you into the story unlike all the other marvel trash we were getting at the time. i went and bought the trilogy on bluray and watched them back to back in three days. Loved every second. Maybe its because i had a longer attention span since i was no longer in my teens, or maybe i just appreciated the craft and the love that was put in to these movies.

I recently watched them all with my son. still great. still gripping and engaging. i actually liked the first one a lot more. Hell, i even liked the hobbit though i still maintain the third one just sucks.

Give it some time and come back to them later. unlike other movies, they will stand the test of time.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I love fantasy and I pretty much grew up on D&D and I think the Lord of the Rings movies are pretty damn boring. I also think the Harry Potter movies are boring as well.

LordOfChaos

Are you watching them now for the first time?

In 2001 it was well ahead of the game and held up for a very long time after. I can see it being slow now, but the care and attention to detail are still leagues ahead of the billion dollars spent on the terrible, shitty, rings of power.

nkarafo

I never liked them that much either. I did like the 2nd movie much more but the first and third.... They are cozy movies, have nice atmosphere and they are long, so they are the best background noise for the TV to play while i'm doing other stuff.

One of the things i hate in this trilogy is all the close ups on Frodo's face.

Also, that never-ending ending in the third movie... ugh!

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
You think the greatest trilogy of films in cinematic history is boring?

Yes OP you are a filthy casual and I'm not even sure it's legal to think they are boring.

bender

What time is it?
I bought them digitally recently for a re-watch and I can't make it past the first 30 minutes of Fellowship.

No, but it's one of the only films I hold every scene dearly. So much goofy ugly crap in cinema since. When you get used to it, it gets oddly comforting to see it play out.

There's still movie magic in the shots, the cg is about where we are today.

Rockondevil

I don't think "filthy casual" is the best description. I'm sure there are some other choice words that exist.

Literally started TTT about 30 minutes before I saw this thread.

Dr.Morris79

How anyone could find these films boring or uninspiring means you have the retarded gene. There may be medication in the future for such an infliction but as it stands i'm affraid it's terminal.

Lasha

I don't know if I would call you casual. Casuals don't try to get into things. Casual audiences accept whatever the studio is currently marketing to them so I commend you for trying to get out of your box. I think your attention span is short and you may have poor taste. The pacing of the extended editions is deliberate but the theatrical versions move along pretty well. They don't spend every moment trying to make you feel good which may contrast with modern films like MCU. The films also stand up visually due to the heavy use of real extras to augment the CG. I think LotR looks better than the Hobbit which went full CG.

Banned
I fell asleep watching the third one in theatres... I never fall asleep going to the theatre btw... never... this was the only time that happened

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
No buy you're annoying for using the fraise "filthy casual." Knock it off.

GreenAlien

I saw them three times in the cinema and it was fucking amazing. Never managed to finish one of them on the small screen.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
You’re not a filthy casual IMO, just lame. Maybe quippy Marvel movies are more up your alley?
That's the thing. As much as I find the LOTR movies boring, at least they have class. I even recognized that they're good movies but just not made for me. I wouldn't even compare them as close as MCU.

Last edited:

JonSnowball

I agree with the walking bit, especially the first movie

I signed in to post this, but you had beat me to it! Accurate.

On a slightly related note, Kevin Smith has smoked himself retarded. If you haven't seen Clerks III don't bother, watch the animated series then jerk off and go to bed.

Roufianos

I checked them out after GoT finished due to the lineage.

Found them ok to good at best. Genuinely have no idea what's meant to be so great about them.

Plot just seemed super simple. Maybe you need to read the books to appreciate the world building.

Would never watch them again, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Goalus

I've tried soooooooooo many times to get into FoTR, TTT and RoTK. So many. The trilogy as a whole just fails in the engagement and pacing part. Maybe if I read the books first, I would have loved the films?

What say you
No, you aren't.
I fully agree (and I've read the books). I could never bring myself to watch this borefest again. I'd rather read the books again.

Top Bottom