• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazing character design

Neiteio

So the other day I was revisiting Soulcalibur IV, a lovely fighting game I hadn’t played in awhile, when I encounter the last character I had yet to unlock. Her name is Ashlotte:

20080707_sc04.jpg

When it comes to good creative, characters like Ashlotte peg my meter all the way. I just love her design. I love the Gothic Lolita style, the clockwork joints, the wire framework, the floral print on the inside of her sheet-metal skirt. I love the juxtaposition of a delicate figure with a two-ton halberd, and the implacable coldness of her porcelain face. I love the fact her design inspires me to wax poetic about a mechanical doll. She just has a style and presence all her own, at once lovely and unnerving.

Another design I love is Goht, the boss of Snowhead Temple from The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask:

goht.jpg

Again with the clockwork! (Yes, I love Guillermo del Toro movies). This steam-powered monstrosity is what I think of when I think of my favorite game. For me, Goht captures the spirit of Termina, that dark, nebulous quality of the creepy and the carnivalesque. Unfortunately, the underpowered Nintendo 64 couldn’t quite capture the degree of detail seen in the (tiny) art above, yet the game still did an admirable job of conveying his design. To this day Goht remains my favorite Zelda boss design.

So in terms of character design, these two work wonders for me. But what about you? Are there any character designs in videogames that you really enjoy? Share them here!

Chowfahn

Neo Member
I really hated every single character design in Soul Calibur 4. But that's just me!

1185415916SOTC06.jpg

Greatest horse design ever. Take that, Oblivion!
Wander was also pretty fucking awesome.

I'd say the enemy designs in RE4.

Not the normal Ganados, but anything more advanced just looks so weird and grotesque. Truly scary stuff when I first saw it.

mr stroke

of all time-
probably Tetsuya Nomura
love his style
blog-amano-ffvi-tina.jpg

and while generic, Master Chief is simple and extremely recognizable-

MasterChiefHalo.jpg

ianp622

Chowfahn said:
I really hated every single character design in Soul Calibur 4. But that's just me!

1185415916SOTC06.jpg

Greatest horse design ever. Take that, Oblivion!
Wander was also pretty fucking awesome.

Yeah, I was thinking of posting Wander myself. Not my favorite in a static picture, but the way he deteriorates as you kill the Colossi puts him at the top of my list.

The-Switcher said:
While I like uncharted, I dunno if jeans and a white t-shirt constitute great character design.
but he's got a half-tuck and a faux-hawk, the pinnacle of unique character design

beat

* Jade from BG&E.

* Manny from Grim Fandango.

* Shun Di from VF. (Just kidding. I love his animations, but as far as character design goes, VF has never been great.)

* The starring characters from Locoroco.

Neiteio

Chowfahn: No hard feelings on the the lack of Soulcalibur love. Different strokes for different folks! Although I will say it's interesting you posted the protagonists of SotC but not the colossi themselves. I've yet to play SotC, but from what I've seen of the colossi they're truly inspired design -- an organic blend of fur, flesh and arcane rock sculpture!

Dead Man Typing said:
I'd say the enemy designs in RE4.

Not the normal Ganados, but anything more advanced just looks so weird and grotesque. Truly scary stuff when I first saw it.
Yes, I agree. Stuff like the transformed Bitores Mendez (the chief), with the centipede-like stalk of writhing flesh and the sort of perverse crucifix it forms with the scorpion arms... I love it! But let's not sell the Ganados short -- something about their dark, recessed eyes made them undeniably creepy.

As for all the No More Heroes love... Man, I gotta play that game. The guy with the laser crotch -- Destroy Man, is it? -- is simply awesome. And the new Prince from Prince of Persia looks great, too; I had an image of him crossing his hand in front of his face as my PS3 wallpaper for awhile, and I always marveled at his design.

As for Amy, I'm more of a Knuckles person myself. :)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The-Switcher said:
While I like uncharted, I dunno if jeans and a white t-shirt constitute great character design.

but he's a breath of fresh air

S. L.

Neiteio said:
So the other day I was revisiting Soulcalibur IV, a lovely fighting game I hadn’t played in awhile, when I encounter the last character I had yet to unlock. Her name is Ashlotte:

[.IMG]http://williamtio.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/20080707_sc04.jpg[/IMG]
Oh! Great is a god of awesome art :D

Neiteio

Ah, Old Snake. The man that led me into the next gen (I'm the fella who picked up the PS3 MGS4 bundle earlier this year). The amazing thing about Old Snake is how his smallest mannerisms -- a kink in his back, the weary look in his eyes, etc -- make him feel so real. I might be jumping the gun by saying this, but of all the games I've played he probably felt the most real.

Much love to the lush, Gothic watercolors of Ayami Kojima. My hope is that someday Konami makes a full-fledged 2D Castlevania for consoles using this style. I dig the darkly romantic.

And Mr. Stroke mentioned Tetsuya Nomura's work (or was it Yoshitaka Amano's?) on Final Fantasy VI. I'm not a big FF fan, but I found FFVI to have astounding character design. It's the whole steampunk, past-as-future package, that Jules-Vernes-meets-the-Renassaince brand of fantasy that is so fresh compared to the more generic trappings of American fantasy.

Oh, and kudos to S.L. for some Ashlotte love!

EDIT: It was Amano who did FFVI's character designs. I'm surprised I ever hesitated, because I own a book of Amano-illustrated fairy tales!

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I always find it sad how much great character design is wasted on bad games. The character designer does their job admirably and everyone else drops the ball, then those designs are sealed away and forgotten. There should be some sort of "second chance" program where devs can mine forgotten old stinkers for their better-then-deserved designs and put them to better use.

Stuff like Drakengard 2, Gungrave, Chaos Legion, Odin Sphere, Eternal Sonata, Unlimited Saga, and Brave Story come to mind.

Oh and let's not forget the vast graveyard of wasted designs that is Korean MMOs. Gorgeous, gorgeous stuff for a lot of those, yet all for naught because of the dismal games they're attached to.

Top Bottom