• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Black Friday UK / Europe 2012 (w/ Friends?) Thread: Sponsored by Nigel Tufnel

jbrDvOKRUivYkz.png

What is ihis thing?

"Black Friday" is a US retail phenomenon that Amazon UK has been running in the UK since 2010. It follows the US national holiday of Thanksgiving on the fourth Thursday every November, which sees retailers offering unprecedented discounts in time-limited deals, and is seen as a starting gun for the peak Christmas shopping period.

Black Friday Deals Week 2012, run by Amazon UK, takes place on their Today's Deals page from November 19 to 25. They boast it will feature over 1,000 Lightning Deals - time and quantity limited offers on some of our best products.

If you miss deals during the week you can grab them again over the 'Black Friday Reloaded' weekend on November 24 and 25.​

Why is it Called Black Friday?

There are a number of theories about where the name "Black Friday" came from. To some people, this date was the start of the period when US retailers began to make a profit--they moved into the black, after running at a loss for the prior months of the year. Others believe the name comes from a negative description by the police, as it was a black day because of the chaotic traffic jams, busy shopping streets and excitable behaviour of bargain-hunting shoppers.​

How it works

4VrLZ.png

Sites confirmed to be doing Black Friday in UK / Europe

Amazon UK
Amazon DE
Amazon FR
Gamestop UK
Gamestop Ireland
will add more if/when needed

Pages to Bookmark

Todays Deals Amazon UK
This thread... maybe

Games / Console confirmed to be be part of Amazon UK Black Friday

Hitman Absolution (360/PS3) - Confirmed via Amazon's Facebook

Tips and Tricks for Amazon's Black Friday

- If this works the same way as 2010 and 2011, some deals will be REALLY popular, and be snapped up VERY fast. Use the following tips to give yourself a better chance to grab so; something you want

- If there is an amazi;ng deal on something, there is a huge chance you will not get what you want. The big deals - like super cheap consoles, games, and other cheap tech hardware - will go quick. Don't expect to nab something even if you camp in front of a PC for hours.

- Usually, the good stuff will be posted between 9PM and 9PM - if anything is posted in the latter hours it is usually not a "must have" item (like a possible £50 console).

- If you really want to try and claim something, refresh the deal page about 30 seconds before the countdown timer ends. This apparently syncs you up better with Amazon's servers, giving you a few extra milliseconds to click like a madman and claim something. Also, use previous deals to learn where the "Add to Basket" button will appear - so you can have your pointer in the exact correct position to click.

- Don't doubleclick or reclick "Add to Basket", it will just slow down any process happening. However, if the queuing takes longer than 15 seconds, it is likely you have not claimed the item. It might be worth F5ing the page at this point

- You can have multiple tabs open to try and have multiple chances to nab the same deal.

- Use "Ctrl + 1" "Ctrl + 2" "Ctrl + 3" and so forth to quickly move between these tabs.

- Clicking "Add to Basket" does not force you to buy the item - you still have to go through the confirm order process (within 15 minutes), so feel free to spam the button even if you are unsure you want the item. However, by doing this, you could be grabbing something someone else really wants, so if you really don't want something, just dont bother clicking.

- If you nab a good deal, don't try and sell it back at near RRP to people in this thread. Obviously, I cannot enforce this, but people in the thread will hate you and shout at you.

- If besiktas1 needed to have a new avatar over the course of the next week, then be nice to him!​

Other things

I will put things here I stupidly forgot to do beforehand after the thread goes live and people are unhappy.​

Obvious question can non UK Europeans order? We don't have a local Amazon page.

Lots of people from lots of countries can order from Amazon, and they will ship to lots of countries for Free (if you spend over £25). There are some countries they w;ill charge for shipping though - France, Germany, Italy (as they have their own Amazon stores).

Depending on how big the dis;count is on an item, and what country you are from, you should be able to take advantage of a few deals.

camelcamelcamel tells me lightning deals are not that great, i'll check em out anyway though

You are right, a:huge amount are not - some are great though. The great ones are usually obvious though - Modern Warfare 3 for £18 last year for example, and the low priced consples in 2010.

Hitman Absolution could be great this year

Oxx

#gimmegimmegimme

I was going to wait for the 3DSXL/Mario 3D Land bundle, but I hope they throw out a good deal.

The_Monk

Let's see If I can grab something for me or for some fellow GAFfers.

Going to be hard since I'll be way from my PC but here's hoping for some decent deals.

Dynoro

Wasn't this complete and utter wank last year? like...money off plastic cutlery levels of fail?

There was a lot of crap deals but also some very nice deals mingled in. Excluding the second half of the week, when they started repeating, there were easily 5 deals a day I was interested in (only got a couple though).

My expectation is that there will be one really good deal early on but after that we'll all be disappointed by what is on offer. That said, hope a really good buy on a tv shows up.

What is stopping someone from just grabbing all the great deals then letting them expire if they choose not to get it? Seems like this would reward fast internet and the ability to script...

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I shouldn't be looking forward to a sale this much. I know I'll end up being disappointed.

Wasn't this complete and utter wank last year? like...money off plastic cutlery levels of fail?

Got MW3 for £18 which wasn't too bad.

Dynoro

My expectation is that there will be one really good deal early on but after that we'll all be disappointed by what is on offer. That said, hope a really good buy on a tv shows up.

What is stopping someone from just grabbing all the great deals then letting them expire if they choose not to get it? Seems like this would reward fast internet and the ability to script...

I'm sure people tried that last year; but it was so chaotic you could have 10 screens going and get nothing even if you clicked them all as the counter rolled over and there's only so much a script can speed up a simple click. I imagine Amazon also look for loads of requests on the same IP and queue the requests to stop this kind of thing.

winstano

I got me a 360 for £50 2 years ago. After I put it in my cart, I also put NFS:Hot Pursuit and an HDMI cable in and it went through as a bundle. One of my proudest frugal gaming moments!

Joni

Last year I got
Big Bang Theory - Season 1-4 Complete [DVD]
Lethal Weapon 1-4 [Blu-ray][Region Free]
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Trilogy (PS3)
The Vampire Diaries - Seasons 1-2 Complete [DVD]
Avatar: Limited Edition Steelbook [Blu-ray]
If I get the same amount of deals, I'll be happy.

IIRC a few in 2010 started at 6am. Things like the powerball at like 30% off...

2010 got a little mad with the repeats (because people were just adding to basket to troll/grief; as the basket lasted until 23:59 then):
black-casserole.png

Such variety.

Anyway last year this all I got was Duke Nukem Forever as a joke present and this (last surprise deal):
ps3shame.png

I left it in the basket to auto-expire (I mean the Xbox 360 was £50, so were the Wiis, £200 is not my impulse buy PS3 level)

I'll be joining this year in spirit but not in body (I'm a bit busy next week so can just about glance at the deals but discussing consumes too much time).

PaulLFC

Last year I got the Toy Story trilogy on Blu Ray (I think it was £10) and Driver SF for about £7 or something.

Hoping for a cheap 360 or some Vita memory card deals this year.

Amazon is saying the start is midnight tonight, is that for deals, or just showing what the deals will be from 9am onwards?

Last year I got the Toy Story trilogy on Blu Ray (I think it was £10) and Driver SF for about £7 or something.

Amazon is saying the start is midnight tonight, is that for deals, or just showing what the deals will be from 9am onwards?

I don't think anything will start at Midnight. We will know tomorrows deals at midnight, but nothing will be buyable til 9AM

...unless Amazon things this year of course.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.

I'm basically looking for the same. I already need to clean out my fridge for Vita so a bigger memory card would be good. Also looking for anything Lego related for Christmas presents for my nephews.

Should be an interesting week.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Deal are up, starts tomorrow at 8am

12GB PS3 Wonderbook bundle @ 11:15am
WWE 13 @ 11:15am
Darksiders II @ 7:45pm
uDraw @ 7:45pm (AWESOME!)
Lots of Kindle Fire covers at 30% off

skynidas

Banned
well, I would say that this is not a bad start considering that deals will probably get better as friday approaches.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
There's a 2TB external HDD that I'd like to pick up if it goes cheap.

well, I would say that this is not a bad start considering that deals will probably get better as friday approaches.

Unless this is supposed to be their good day to get us excited and the rest of the week is shit.

PaulLFC

Hoping the PS3 is a good price, my brother was looking to buy one. Also will be interesting to see how they price WWE 13 with it being a recent release. Shame they put those both on at the same time though, you'd think they'd spread the gaming deals out a bit since the next one isn't until gone 7pm.

Impressive list of deals to start with. Hopefully the discounts are good and they keep the quality level up throughout the week.

Shame they're doing the same as last year and only offering DVD boxsets instead of both even if a Blu-Ray version exists as well.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
The hints are pretty poor this year.

Stop worrying about your car breaking down in winter. Be prepared at all times with AA Breakdown kit.

I wonder what that could possibly be?

metalshade

Amazon UK are doing a deal guys, buy a 250GB 360, Halo 4, and a years live for £150.
They dont actually say it directly, but if you add those three items to your basket, the reductions they apply actually cost less than the 360 on its own..might wanna go for this, if it is a mistake I am not sure.

V_Ben

Banned
Ooh, the harry potter blu rays will be on offer at 8am. I'll have to see if they turn up for less than £20. Might hop on that.

Dantis

Amazon UK are doing a deal guys, buy a 250GB 360, Halo 4, and a years live for £150.
They dont actually say it directly, but if you add those three items to your basket, the reductions they apply actually cost less than the 360 on its own..might wanna go for this, if it is a mistake I am not sure.

What the heck... I just tried it.

That is insane.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member

Works. Goddamn that's a good deal.

metalshade

I regret already having a 360.

I'm almost tempted to do it and just sell off the console. But knowing my luck, I'd somehow screw it up.

Tell me about it, I sold mine a short while ago so I could afford to build my new gaming rig, but darn if I arent tempted. Can I really spend £150 just for halo 4 though......

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I'd go for it but I already have a 360 and I don't use it much. I wouldn't use this one anymore than the one I have but I still want it.

Joni

Okay. Hoping for good Mad Men and Heroes deals. Darksiders II probably won't go cheap enough for me. The Wonderbook PS3 I'll keep an eye on because I want a spare PS3.

nb. Amazon don't pay their tax in the process of providing you with these AMAZING deals.

So you lose your right to complain when your local services close due to austerity in shopping there. x

Top Bottom