• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon censoring Titanfall reviews - Must hit dat 5 stars rating.

Amazon already pulled the review I reported. Titanfall must be getting flooded with questionable reviews so Amazon is probably taking a kill 'em all and sort 'em out later approach to reported reviews.

edit:

I believe you have a window to review before the system stops adding that tag to your reviews.

I'll check back tomorrow to see if it still shows it as a verified purchase. If so, there is a huge flaw in the system. My order was only live for less than five minutes, during which time I posted my review and then canceled my order. Jeez, I can't believe it

All this drama would not exist if the game was coming to the PS4.

Uh, no. Here's proof that I hate this kind of market manipulation and information suppression in any form. A post on a different board from over a month ago in a thread about stuff that annoys you:

brand10.png

Some people just hate shady shit, and when it's connected to something they're really into, it bothers them on a personal level. I'm sure you can find a thread about the recent Dungeon Keeper game for iOS on GAF here, where everyone is reprimanding the review manipulation for that, too.

I used to find the reviews on Amazon to be immensely helpful with my purchasing decisions. With this, Amazon has lost my trust, and EA/Microsoft has lost my respect. What an embarrassment.

statham

I would imagine alot of these fake reviews are buying the game, posting 1 stars, and then canceling the game before it ships, and amazon is cancelling those reviews.

meanspartan

Waging a console war in the user/customer review section has never made sense to me.

*Braveheart Speech Voice*

Wherever our console of choice is threatened, on whichever forum some misguided fool says another console is better, and whenever an exclusive game for a rival console gets good reviews, we will be there ready to let that reviewer or gamer or buyer know that they are gay and stupid. We are ALWAYS ready to go to war on behalf of our preferred machine and the benevolent mega-corporation that granted it to us.

All of the negativity and drama surrounding Titanfall is absolutely embarrassing.

We should be CELEBRATING new IP from an indie developer that people are enjoying, regardless of platform.

What the fuck is wrong with some people?!?

Took these about 20 minutes ago, some of these have been removed since then, check for yourself if you think they're considered spam.

You can't purchase a game and give it a low score when it states it's online only before you buy it. When the game doesn't live up to what it says it does on the box, it in return gets docked major points.

What if it said online only than it said oh sorry enjoy one player with bots for the first 3 months. Yeah a 2 out of 5 would make sense. Don't make your score the most dignified part of your review. Making it obviously low or obviously high will lose some credit to the review.

iammeiam

Took these about 20 minutes ago, some of these have been removed since then, check for yourself if you think they're considered spam.

They're all batting 50% or lower "helpful" ratings, which makes me think the "report abuse" link is probably seeing some use alongside. Given that 4 and 5 star ratings are being nuked, as well, this leans more towards something automated culling suspicious reviews than GAF's favorite misused word, censorship.

USC-fan

Banned
I used to find the reviews on Amazon to be immensely helpful with my purchasing decisions. With this, Amazon has lost my trust, and EA/Microsoft has lost my respect. What an embarrassment.
Yeah wow. I didn't know Amazon remove reviews. Did they do this with SIM city reviews?

Velcro Fly

All of the negativity and drama surrounding Titanfall is absolutely embarrassing.

We should be CELEBRATING new IP from an indie developer that people are enjoying, regardless of platform.

What the fuck is wrong with some people?!?

Maybe people just don't like the game?

Madness

I don't think amazon is getting any pressure as opposed to removing overly negative or positive reviews that are probably fanboys or trolls.

I've written reviews where I've flat out denigrated amazon shipping, their warehouse, their customer support staff and the reviews have gotten thumbs up and stuck around. One review even caused them to review an item they were selling etc.

A lot of the reviews removed, many were not verified buyers, and others were not really a review of the game itself.

That said maybe there was pressure from Microsoft or EA and that's why they took a more stringent look at the kinda of reviews making it through.

Yeah wow. I didn't know Amazon remove reviews. Did they do this with SIM city reviews?

I have no idea, but they seemed to be pretty genuine in the past. It makes buying something like an iPhone case pretty easy. Search by rating, and then look through the top 10-20 results. With their review system compromised, I'll be doubting the authenticity of any reviews there going forward.

They're all batting 50% or lower "helpful" ratings. Given that 4 and 5 star ratings are being nuked, as well, this leans more towards something automated culling suspicious reviews than GAF's favorite misused word, censorship.

Yeah I noticed that too. "12 out of 24 found this helpful"

Why are people so desperate to troll feedback sections? I don't care if it's a Playstation 4 game or an Xbox One game it doesn't serve any purpose in the long or short term.

God people have depressing lives if this is what they do for fun.

ZeroX03

Banned
Now do the same for the four and five star reviews. thanks in advance

That's a lot more to screenshot lol. The five stars have dropped down to 64 too (over 30 deleted), I think this is a case of lots of reviews getting marked as spam/abuse (for legitimate or console war related anger) and an automated process taking them down.

I would imagine alot of these fake reviews are buying the game, posting 1 stars, and then canceling the game before it ships, and amazon is cancelling those reviews.

What about all the reviews that are NOT from verified purchases, but have NOT been removed?

Now they only have one 1 star review, six 3 star reviews, four 2 star reviews, and 64 5 star reviews. They are editing the shit out of these reviews right now for one reason or another, that is for sure.

Reviews on Amazon can be voted on. If it gets enough "no" votes it gets removed.
This happens to EVERY GAME ON AMAZON.

213372bu

Banned
I got a bad joke, Maybe amazon is now run by the CLOUD

Obviously Amazon's cloud music service was done because they shill for Microsoft.

/s

Honestly though, if we got 5 people to flag any review on any product they would take it down until it was up for review, how else are these reviews magically appearing? The same thing happened for the PS4, Wii, and X1 reviews to my knowledge as well.

USC-fan

Banned
Yeah I noticed that too. "12 out of 24 found this helpful"

Why are people so desperate to troll feedback sections? I don't care if it's a Playstation 4 game or an Xbox One game it doesn't serve any purpose in the long or short term.

God people have depressing lives if this is what they do for fun.
Just look at the ps4/xbone console reviews. Its funny.

But I didn't think Amazon remove reviews. That really the only news thing here to me. Very strange...

Jomjom

Banned
They're all batting 50% or lower "helpful" ratings, which makes me think the "report abuse" link is probably seeing some use alongside. Given that 4 and 5 star ratings are being nuked, as well, this leans more towards something automated culling suspicious reviews than GAF's favorite misused word, censorship.

I can't believe Amazon would have such a dumb system. Any company could just hire like 10 guys and thumbs down any review to get it removed then.

I helped nuke the review from "Brandy L Cherone". She clearly indicates she didn't buy the game, thus her review should be discarded. Looking over the rest of them, I think they all deserved to be nuked for various reasons. Some aren't reviewing Titanfall, while another is belligerent and the rest could be spam.

Maybe people just don't like the game?

Every game will have people who like it and people who don't. Most will abstain. And all of that is fine.

TF is different in that most complaints revolve around what it (supposedly) stands for and what it's not (single-player campaign). The narrative has spun completely out of control, going well beyond thoughtful criticism in most cases.

People who simply don't like it are not the ones contributing to this mess.

such a joke, fanboys on both sides are obviously writing fake 1* and 5* reviews, amazon is just doing something about it, and in the process removing some legit reviews.

the same thing happens to exclusive games and ps4 /xb1 console "reviews" by the way, really is nothing new here

Top Bottom