• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon redesigning the cast of Breakaway to be more unique. Weekly tests are coming.

RedFury

Should have kept the Pirate girl, she looked way better. The whole vibrant colors scheme makes the game look even more generic too.
While I agree the theme has changed to chase immortality. In that sense I'd be interested to see what happened. She found the lost city of Atlantis and found an ancient power, etc. Still like her a a pirate though. G1 skins for everybody! (You know it'll happen).

Off topic:
Can we have a thread about whatever the hell this is?

Only if we also include the cartoon about the Mighty Ducks. I mean, they came from another galaxy (where hockey is the main sport), and fled here centuries ago due to the evil reptilian Saurians. They then end up in Anaheim, and join the NHL.

Then again, I'd just end up moaning about how someone can take that and turn it into the nothing that is the design for the Anaheim Ducks

cut.jpg

Beartruck

The more I look at this the worse it gets. The viking in particular is pretty bad. Previously he was just a pretty simple viking with runic symbols with a blue leaning color palette contrasted by an orange beard. Now, the beard is blue ice, half the symbols are covered by blue ice, etc. It's just blue blue blue with no contrast. They didn't really redesign him, they just stacked a bunch of shit on top of the existing design.

Marcel

Pirate girl looked much better before.

Also why do they want to become Battleborn 2?

Amazon's involvement with Twitch guarantees this game will at least be more successful than Battleborn. It isn't exactly a high hurdle but your comparison is silly.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
The new designs look ripped straight out of League of Legends. And I like League of Legends, but copying it like this is super lame.

I actually like the old art style, it's not bad, and as one poster this thread said, the designs are easier to read.

This poor game is toast before it even gets out the gate, and this drastic redesign proves that Amazon knows that and has no confidence in it.

J-Tier

They look like knock-off Blizzard characters now. The initial cast design was reminiscent of a generic-looking Paragon, but the redesigns feel even more generic. If they had gone with a different artstyle, that would've been much more compelling.

Jawmuncher

So redesigned and made them worse? Like I don't even know what's going on with the Spartan and Pirate now.
Ok amazon, good luck.

Drayco21

The new artstyle is just as derivative and forgettable as the first, but with the added bonus of looking like bad knockoffs instead of just being kinda generic.

That's a shame.

The problem with these Hero games is that the characters they make are already so archetypical that it's hard to make them standout in the first place. Like dwarf guy with a hammer has been done over and over and over again that you CAN'T make him seem unique, at least from a visual standpoint. Same goes with Beastlady that fights with her hands, or dark witch girl, or any of the other generic templates that have been done to death.
To be fair I feel the same way about a lot of Overwatch's characters too.

shandy706

I have as much interest in this, looking at it in the OP...as I have in games like Overwatch..

..which is Zero.

I don't find either on appealing at all. It all feels unoriginal.

So, what IS the game? Is it an Overwatch/TF2 sort of thing? Arena shooter?

I agree with some tho, the characters look bland. Like, just not at all memorable.

It's a 4v4 sports battle game. Everyone has their own abilities and they can also build stuff like jump pads and walls. There's a ball and you have to score to get a point. It's like Rocket League meets Overwatch I guess.

Haunted

Looks like they put more shit on the shit wherever they could. Completely overdesigned now, nearly all of them.

Amazon's involvement with Twitch guarantees this game will at least be more successful than Battleborn. It isn't exactly a high hurdle but your comparison is silly.

Amazon has been doing an office league with some streamers and I'm not sure their viewership numbers are that good. There's no buzz for this game. I'm going to wait till open beta, but right their first attempt at a PC game seems like a missfire.

Only if we also include the cartoon about the Mighty Ducks. I mean, they came from another galaxy (where hockey is the main sport), and fled here centuries ago due to the evil reptilian Saurians. They then end up in Anaheim, and join the NHL.

Then again, I'd just end up moaning about how someone can take that and turn it into the nothing that is the design for the Anaheim Ducks
Way-off topic...

The Anaheim Ducks logo is a mallards webbed foot
duck-toed-picture-id113802495

Its actually not a bad design.

they did this originally when Disney relinquished ownership of the team and they were pressed to make a new design since disney owned the logo. The team has since legally regained ownership of the duck billed hockey mask logo from when they were the "Mighty" Ducks and have this emblem appearing on the shoulders of their jerseys.
2014-10-11_Ducks-vs-Flyers_Img-001.jpg

Lastly, the cartoon you should really be looking at is ProStars. Y'know, that heroic trifecta of Bo Jackson, Wayne Gretzky and Michael Jordan that went around saving helpless citizens using their ultra athleticism and souped up equipment.

I was reminded of this since Michael Jordan who also starred in Space Jam with Bugs Bunny and Wayne Gretzky having played against the Mighty Ducks.

Don't really care for the new or old designs.

Then again I thought Paladins was uninspired as well but they found their own audience so what do I know.

As a Paladins players I found 2/3 of the character art very uninspired. But in the end I play for the gameplay...

kitsuneyo

Well... I really dont like the design. Why is everyone going for the "colorful adult cartoon" design ? It only works when you're really good at it, cf Overwatch or Team Fortress 2. Otherwise, it gives you Battleborn, Dauntless or this...

Got to agree with you. The game's visuals are straight off-putting. I've heard they're deliberately leaving character lore etc out of the marketing, they must know it sucks. Shame because the game and the Twitch stuff are kind of interesting.

They look fucking terrible and even more generic than the originals. At least the originals were easy to read and you knew the theme they were trying to portray.
You never retool the art of a game based on audience feedback if the original was not completely terrible. This looks like theu actually got all the feedback of the tests and added everything the 13 year olds asked, instead of being smart of what feedback to follow.

A team that does this doesnt inpire any confidence for the rest of the game, thats is for sure.

The spartan and pirate look like good cartoon characters, if somewhat a little generic, nls they look like overdesigned MOBA turds.

And, as a fan of old covilizations, the "warriors of myth and legend" is more attractive than blablabla inmortality.

Ripenen

Knowing nothing of the game it's kind of fun trying to guess the theme for each character. From left to right:

1. aquatic sniper? no idea but looks like she has a squid on her head?
2. feral girl?
3. Aztec-ish witch doctor
4. ice warrior
5. necromancer

Yeah, I think they should have just pushed the original designs more. The Sorceress there is a good example of pushing the original design a little further without going overboard.

On a related note, I'm surprised we didn't hear anything new about any of the Amazon games at E3. If they had any presence it must have been pretty low key because this is literally the first thing I've heard about any of them since the original reveal.

E3 is a retail/console focused show, meanwhile all 3 announced Amazon games are PC games designed with Twitch in mind. Not surprised they didn't show up. Probably at TwitchCon. Breakaway is also further along than the other two.

E3 is a retail/console focused show, meanwhile all 3 announced Amazon games are PC games designed with Twitch in mind. Not surprised they didn't show up. Probably at TwitchCon. Breakaway is also further along than the other two.

True. I kind of forgot these were PC only at the moment.

Pirate girl looked much better before.

Also why do they want to become Battleborn 2?

This game could be objectively worse than Battleborn in every way possible and still be a million times more successful. People hate Gearbox/Randy Pitchford and went out of their way to voice that hatred at every possible opportunity to make sure it failed. Any game coming out today won't have that kind of outside pressure so it'll live or die by merit, not the people that made it. They could literally call this game Battleborn 2 and as soon as people found out it wasn't developed by Gearbox they'd do a 180 and be willing to try the game out and see if its good or not.

Top Bottom