• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD posts $473m Q4 loss, $1.18bn FY loss, stock goes up due to beat expectations

Lucis

People keep on mentioning the lol console business they have
it's very likely that over the next generation
Their console profit will be less than what they lost this single quarter.

Can someone elaborate a succint explanation on what's going on with AMD? They have been getting the biggest share of console bussiness and the PC products seem to be very well received in various market segments. So what gives?

Herne

I hope they pull back, I've always loved the Radeon series of cards. I miss the glory days of the Athlon and hope they manage to bring their cpu's back to challenge Intel's supremacy - as much as I'd like to support AMD right now, their processors just don't hold up. But I'll continue to buy their graphics cards - I've been using them since the Radeon 9800 and I haven't had any issues. There may have been issues with one or two games down the years but I honestly can't remember them - I've had a Radeon 9800, X800 GTO, 4870 and now a 6870, and I'm very happy with the level of performance and image quality I've gotten from them. My last GeForce was an 8800 GTS 320MB, and a TI4200 before that, so my nVidia track record isn't nearly as impressive. I have no beef with nVidia, but their cards are considerably more expensive for not much more performance, so AMD it is for me, and I'm happy with that.

MajorGravy

Neo Member
Competition is always good for the consumer so I hope AMD stays in business.

If I can find an AMD FX-8350 with a good discount I'll pick one up to replace my current processor.

Next build will be intel but nothing out there that my current cpu or gpu can't handle atm. So no need to build a new intel machine yet. Who knows maybe when we start getting prettier more demanding games with the new consoles this year...

iavi

We need AMD to bust out another AMD 64. Light the fire under Intel's ass.

I also want AMD to force Nvidia to bring the Titan down to average consumer levels.

I want a lot of things, but I'm not being unreasonable, you feel me.

Card Boy

Banned
That simply isn't the case anymore, stop making up BS.

It simply doesn't matter, i have been shat on and burned by AMD way too many times for me to ever go back to them for GPUs or CPUs. This is the case for millions of other people and why they go Nvidia over AMD even if its more expensive.

That's the biggest casualty right there, if AMD ever goes under. I would hate to see ATi go down in flames with them. It's a shame that AMD can't find a foothold in the CPU market, they haven;t really had a successfully competing CPU since the Athlon/ Athlon 64 days. I know it has always been an uphill battle for AMD in this market, but they really can't find their target audience here.

Some other company would buy ATi out of bankruptcy. I would guess Samsung.

It sucks, but this situation is occurring because the market isn't a thriving place. Whether they have competition or not, unless that keep it price competitive, the mass market will disappear and it won't matter how much the fringe lunatic are willing to spend on chips. That's what will keep pricing competitive. Or else they'll join AMD in the grave.

Not really. People seem to think Nvidia makes the bulk of it's money from gamers.

They don't, Nvidia has expanded way past relying on gamers. Nvidia makes much money off their Quatro/Tesla line, their Tegra parts and their developer support for companies that are invested in CUDA. This is why Nvidia is beating AMD. AMD is focusing purely on GPU market as far as gaming is concerned while Nvidia has ventured out far past gaming. There are around 30ish companies who's primary focus is CUDA, countless CGI firms that use Nvidia cards and many medical/science facilities that use Nvidia cards to help with their research (thanks to CUDA). AMD's reluctance to enter these fields is what's really fucking them over.

As far as processors, AMD is making gains in the mobile market with their APUs, but ultimately it's not enough. When Buldozer was a bust it really ruined their chances for success, companies that build PCs are all going with Intel, and Intel still dominates the laptop/netbook market and are currently trying to break into mobile market where ARM is winning. AMD again hasn't attempted to enter these markets and it hurts them.

AMD has instead taken this "we build it they'll come" approach and does very little outreaching to various companies. Unfortunately this approach doesn't work when there are better solutions out there and their motto is "if we build it and take it to them, they'll like it."

Really it's no one's fault other than AMD's they're in this situation. I mean they've entered the desktop memory market...why?! Who at AMD thought that was a great idea? I mean really?

pelican

I RMA'd a 7850 this week because it kept blue screening in Portal 2 and Crysis, despite passing furmark no problem.

And I RMA'd an i7 3770k 2 months ago.

So what exactly is your point? Faulty components happen.

I'm currently running a system based up the MSI 7970 Lightning and it is a fantastic card. Stable at 1200/1500.

kitch9

Banned
No. Crossfire is very susceptible to microstuttering and I've experienced it first hand back in the olden days of the 4870X2 and the 5970 - It was horrible. Running an SLI setup right now and I have not seen a single shred of stuttering, everything is smooth as butter. Which mainly is because Nvidia cares and they employ technology to reduce stuttering.

I think all people who use an SLI setup from the last few years can attest to that.

They add a frame or 2 of lag at driver level, which is noticeable when compared to a single gpu.

Performance just feels sharper on a single card, I'll never have dual again.

pelican

Their console profit will be less than what they lost this single quarter.

Armchair business man with a time machine alert!

Ok, numbers please. Show me how exactly you came to that conclusion. Obviously you have facts and figures to hand.

1-D_FTW

Not really. People seem to think Nvidia makes the bulk of it's money from gamers.

They don't, Nvidia has expanded way past relying on gamers. Nvidia makes much money off their Quatro/Tesla line, their Tegra parts and their developer support for companies that are invested in CUDA. This is why Nvidia is beating AMD. AMD is focusing purely on GPU market as far as gaming is concerned while Nvidia has ventured out far past gaming. There are around 30ish companies who's primary focus is CUDA, countless CGI firms that use Nvidia cards and many medical/science facilities that use Nvidia cards to help with their research (thanks to CUDA). AMD's reluctance to enter these fields is what's really fucking them over.

As far as processors, AMD is making gains in the mobile market with their APUs, but ultimately it's not enough. When Buldozer was a bust it really ruined their chances for success, companies that build PCs are all going with Intel, and Intel still dominates the laptop/netbook market and are currently trying to break into mobile market where ARM is winning. AMD again hasn't attempted to enter these markets and it hurts them.

AMD has instead taken this "we build it they'll come" approach and does very little outreaching to various companies. Unfortunately this approach doesn't work when there are better solutions out there and their motto is "if we build it and take it to them, they'll like it."

Really it's no one's fault other than AMD's they're in this situation. I mean they've entered the desktop memory market...why?! Who at AMD thought that was a great idea? I mean really?

Fair enough. But the point remains, if they're not price sensitive, the mass market for dedicated GPUs will evaporate. So if it provides any benefit of all to them, they'll have to keep prices at a mass market level or it'll just hasten the post-PC era.

pestul

Wow, this has really resulted in more fanboy mudslinging than I thought would appear. I think AMD competes very strongly with Nvidia in the gpu sector, but unfortunately not on the CPU side of things with Intel.

I've made my bias known in the past that I would never again buy a Nvidia product as long as there is decent competition from ATI/AMD. Part of it was my ATI Canadian bias, but most of it stems from Nvidias terrible business practices over the years. I hope we don't lose them, or at least the graphics segment spins off into ATI again somehow. :S

We need AMD to bust out another AMD 64. Light the fire under Intel's ass.

I also want AMD to force Nvidia to bring the Titan down to average consumer levels.

I want a lot of things, but I'm not being unreasonable, you feel me.
Titan isn't really for the average consumer though. It's for those really hardcore graphical people just like the GTX 690 was.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
how likely is it that AMD would shut down its CPU side and focus solely on GPU (what was once ATI)? would it even be a better situation for them?

quest

Not Banned from OT

Actually the APUs have done great on laptops they have 30% of that market.

nearly one in every three notebooks sold in U.S. retail in the fourth quarter were powered by AMD.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/112...-2012-results-earnings-call-transcript?page=2

AMD is in a solid position this year with 2 great lowered powered solutions in temash and kabini. Depending how good richland is they might have another winning product out soon. Lets not forget most of these losses are payments to GF. If they get out temash,kabini and richland out in time with the next gen consoles should return profitability at the end of 2013.

Lucis

Armchair business man with a time machine alert!

Ok, numbers please. Show me how exactly you came to that conclusion. Obviously you have facts and figures to hand.

I am not sure what number I can and can not disclose so I'll assume every number to be a number I can't.

Of course I do not know what kind of deal AMD struck with the console makers on how the licensing will go exactly, but assume it's a good deal for the console makers choose AMD because how great a deal it is. It's not hard to fathom that they probably are not making more than 2-3$ / unit in pure profit.

Actually the APUs have done great on laptops they have 30% of that market.

nearly one in every three notebooks sold in U.S. retail in the fourth quarter were powered by AMD.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/112...-2012-results-earnings-call-transcript?page=2

AMD is in a solid position this year with 2 great lowered powered solutions in temash and kabini. Depending how good richland is they might have another winning product out soon. Lets not forget most of these losses are payments to GF. If they get out temash,kabini and richland out in time with the next gen consoles should return profitability at the end of 2013.

Richland is meh. Its trinity 2.0 so to speak. Kaveri is what AMD actually needs. Too bad GF can't even get 28nm up 2 years late.

quest

Not Banned from OT
how likely is it that AMD would shut down its CPU side and focus solely on GPU (what was once ATI)? would it even be a better situation for them?

None they are almost complete in the transition to lowered powered solutions around the jaguar. They will have by far the best 86x level tablet processor/APU out soon. Lets not forget visio had to go with old hondo for its tablet because cloverfield could not power a high resolution screen. Kabini will be in a lot of entry level notebooks. AMDs mistake was old management did not see the gold infront of them with the bobcat and pushed on with bulldozer based products.

People don't seem to realize how small the gpu department of AMD is compared to the CPU part.

AMD was losing money like mad after they bought ATI, only recently did they actually start to become profitable there (last year) this year they are losing money again. The gpu section will never sustain AMD unless they downsize substantially.

1-D_FTW

They've been crowing about diversifying into the post-PC market. This is their latest stunt. And a while back, they took a big knife to the engineering over at ATI. There's zero chance of that happening. Best case is they allow it to remain somewhat competitive. Strike that. Best case would be if some upstart Chinese company purchased an ATI spinoff. Although AMD would be crazy to sell off their best asset (especially since a competent company, something few would accuse AMD of being, would be leveraging those assets in the mobile arena).

Mr Swine

Banned
I can see Intel buying up AMDs GPU patents and what not to combat Nvidia. I can also see Nvidia take really high price for both their stationary/mobile GPUs and console GPUs since there won't be anymore AMD. So I wonder if the gen after the next one won't have such powerful consoles

Apple for some reason keeps switching every year from AMD to nVidia back to AMD

My 2011 iMac has AMD, but the 2012 iMacs use nVidia

kitch9

Banned
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46801475&postcount=497

And it's rubbish, no way in bloomin' hell will you notice the difference on a day to day basis - Placebo.

Plus that's not what the microstutter is.

Lemme guess you can't tell the difference with 60hz and 120hz either yes?

I've run Xfire, SLI and single GPU rigs on my 120HZ monitor and Single GPU feels the best and its quite noticable, especially under high FPS scenarios. I got Xfire first, didn't like that, so went SLI as guys like you were saying how awesome SLI was, which in fairness was less hitchy but didn't feel as sharp, and then after testing single and dual back to back I sold my second GPU and haven't looked back.

Dual gpus are not for me

Sethos

Banned
Lemme guess you can't tell the difference with 60hz and 120hz either yes?

I've run Xfire, SLI and single GPU rigs on my 120HZ monitor and Single GPU feels the best and its quite noticable, especially under high FPS scenarios. I got Xfire first, didn't like that, so went SLI as guys like you were saying how awesome SLI was, which in fairness was less hitchy but didn't feel as sharp, and then after testing single and dual back to back I sold my second GPU and haven't looked back.

Dual gpus are not for me

Oh I can actually, thank you for asking. I've played competitive shooters and other competitive games for a long time now and two SLI setups and I've never had a single problem, why? Because it isn't as big a problem as you'd like it to be. See the post I linked earlier again. Sounds to me like you've just had shit setups.

Nachtmaer

Intel is just a really scummy company. When AMD was on top Intel made sure OEMs weren't purchasing their hardware. It's hard to compete with your competitors when you can't afford it because your competitors are royally screwing you over every chance they can get.

nVidia wasn't any better. Anyone remember the whole Arkham Asylum and the TWIMTBP bullshit? nVidia basically paying off Rocksteady to make their game run worse on (back then) ATi cards. I guess they called it optimization. The funny thing about all this was that an HD4890 still ran better than most of nVidia's cards even with the botched AA.

Durante

Can someone elaborate a succint explanation on what's going on with AMD? They have been getting the biggest share of console bussiness and the PC products seem to be very well received in various market segments. So what gives?
The markets they do well in are the least profitable ones. Console hardware, budget CPUs, mainstream GPUs.

Dougald

Damn, hope they stay afloat. They are almost *giving* away their CPUs at the moment to stay in competition. I just bought an FX-6300, okay worse on paper than intel, but for £100 you get a 6-core CPU that overclocks by 1ghz with virtually no effort whatsoever.

itxaka

Defeatist
Can we please stop this crap ?

The only competitor Intel has is Intel older CPUs themselves.

Last time I saw a hardware list, they were still selling amd processors.

So your point is? Intel is better? No discussions there. AMD has no market? People still buy them. so?

Top Bottom