• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Radeon announces “Capsaicin” Live Webcast at GDC on March 14th

wachie

t1458000000z1.png

Fury X2 will be finally available (rolleyes)

http://videocardz.com/58374/amd-radeon-announces-capsaicin-live-webcast-at-gdc-on-march-14th

Event Will Feature Industry Luminaries Including Crytek, HTC, Oculus, and Previews of New Silicon and Software Advancements

SUNNYVALE, CA — (Marketwired) — 03/07/16 — AMD (NASDAQ: AMD) today announced that it will webcast live from the historical landmark, Ruby Skye, during the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco. This marquee developer and press event, entitled “Capsaicin,” will be hosted by Radeon Technologies Group’s Senior Vice President and Chief Architect Raja Koduri on Monday, March 14 at 4:00 PM PT (6:00 PM CT/7:00 PM ET), and showcase AMD’s world-class hardware, software and gaming partners.

Named after the compound that delivers a pepper’s spicy kick, “Capsaicin” will explore the inner essence of the graphics processing unit (GPU) and how it powers innovations in gaming and virtual reality. The webcast will feature an inside look at the latest technological advancements affecting the enthusiast and developer communities as they approach the burgeoning virtual reality market.

A real-time video webcast of the event will be accessible on AMD’s Investor Relations home page: ir.amd.com. A replay of the webcast can be accessed a few hours after the conclusion of the live event and will be available for one year after the event. A replay of the webcast will be accessible on the AMD YouTube channel.

Thraktor

I've been holding off on upgrading so I'm looking forward to any news on the GPU scene. Thanks!

I wouldn't expect any hardware announcements. From the PR I'd guess it's mostly about how they've optimised VR performance on the likes of the Fury line.

McHuj

please be excited.

here are some old products and we've duct taped two of them together.

wachie

I wouldn't expect any hardware announcements. From the PR I'd guess it's mostly about how they've optimised VR performance on the likes of the Fury line.
They are saying "previews of new silicion", I would still keep my expectations low. We will probably get some fps per W or efficiency numbers.

Thraktor

They are saying "previews of new silicion", I would still keep my expectations low. We will probably get some fps per W or efficiency numbers.

Didn't notice that bit, but still, "preview" doesn't mean they're announcing anything. Maybe talk about VR-related hardware optimisation in Polaris/Vega?

I really hope/wish/beg that AMD effectively have something competitive, otherwise Nvidia next flagship (especially its VR edition) will surpass $1000 like a breeze :(

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
As someone who values efficiency, cooling, and silence this is not an inspiring codename coming from a company whose whole performance competitiveness over the last decade has been making things hotter and less efficient than their competitors.

tuxfool

Banned
As someone who values efficiency, cooling, and silence this is not an inspiring codename coming from a company whose whole performance competitiveness over the last decade has been making things hotter and less efficient than their competitors.

Clearly you don't remember the first iteration of Fermi?

KwSORkJ.jpg

I really hope/wish/beg that AMD effectively have something competitive, otherwise Nvidia next flagship (especially its VR edition) will surpass $1000 like a breeze :(

The 980 Ti came in at a crazy price for the performance just to turd all over the Fury launch, which is exactly what it did. I'm fine with AMD continuing to make outlandish claims of performance (Fury is an overclocker's dream!), Nvidia cutting prices on the off chance they might hit that performance, and then AMD failing to hit that performance, as per usual.

AMD basically destroyed all of the value from the purchase of ATI. Sad. I grew up building computers with AMD CPUs and ATI GPUs and now they just cannot compete.

NeOak

NVIDIA has given us the 8000/9000 series solder fiasco, the FX 5800, and as pointed out above, Grill Fermi.

I wish NVIDIA stopped using false mock-ups at their investors conferences and what not.

The 980 Ti came in at a crazy price for the performance just to turd all over the Fury launch, which is exactly what it did. I'm fine with AMD continuing to make outlandish claims of performance (Fury is an overclocker's dream!), Nvidia cutting prices on the off chance they might hit that performance, and then AMD failing to hit that performance, as per usual.

AMD basically destroyed all of the value from the purchase of ATI. Sad. I grew up building computers with AMD CPUs and ATI GPUs and now they just cannot compete.

I really hope this happen again. Because the GTX 1000 will be a beast, both in performance and price.

Crisium

I'm expecting mostly Fury X2. If they have any sense the "new silicon talk" should focus on performance-per-watt of Polaris 10, which is what they have done before. This way they can brag that the Fury X2 is the fastest single slot card (when scaling, naturally) and then say ooo look at our Polaris 10 that makes even GM206 super jelly of the wattage (hopefully).

HowZatOZ

Banned
I really hope new GPUs come soon, my 770 4GB is keeping up but struggling of late. I'd love to run The Division at higher levels and enjoy the visuals.

ZOONAMI

The 980 ti is a great card, but your post is a bit extreme on the amd bashing. Cpus yes they pretty much suck, but on the gpu side the 390/390x are arguably the best perf/$ cards on the market, and a stock Fury x and 980 ti stock actually do trade blows depending on the game. The 380/380x completely out class a 960 as well. There's also nvidia being Shady about async compute and DX12, the 970 fiasco and they are still falsely advertising the smu and other specs of that card on their own website last time I checked, proprietary g-sync and game works, etc. etc. Blind Nvidia attitudes like yours are what will kill amd and result in a Nvidia monopoly in the discrete gpu market, which is good for absolutely no one.

Never ever heard my r9 290 sapphire tri x.
It never gets above 68C on air and I really don't care if the card cost me $3 extra a year in electricity when nvidias closest competitor at the time the 780 was $300 more. The nvidia fanboy ignorance on this forum is a poison.

To add to this. I'll never forget having a pm argument with some of the mods of the pc building thread on this forum, where they set out best value for money builds and every single rig had nvidia cards in it. I argued at the time my amd card for one of the builds was cheaper faster and cooler and websites with reviews backed it up everywhere in regards to a specific build but was told I was wrong simply because nvidia products are made by God and past down to earth by angels.

Dmax3901

Yeah my r9 290 during the hot Australian summer has been a bit shit. So loud and so god damn hot. I always intend to go over to Nvidia and the never do for various reasons, usually a good deal comes up...

ZOONAMI

Yeah my r9 290 during the hot Australian summer has been a bit shit. So loud and so god damn hot. I always intend to go over to Nvidia and the never do for various reasons, usually a good deal comes up...

Reference blower cooler? The after market coolers are much better. Amd didn't do a good job with that Blower cooler. Put it under water.

Dmax3901

Reference blower cooler? The after market coolers are much better. Amd didn't do a good job with that Blower cooler. Put it under water.

Yeah I considered buying a better cooler but figured I may as well save the $100 for a new card down the line. It should start cooling down soon... I hope.

Max_Po

Banned
Realistically how much can I get for my r9 290x ...with 40 hours of battlefield 4. ..34 hours of the witcher 3...with box in almost like new condition and a koolance waterblock.

tuxfool

Banned
Realistically how much can I get for my r9 290x ...with 40 hours of battlefield 4. ..34 hours of the witcher 3...with box in almost like new condition and a koolance waterblock.

Not that much. Your best bet is to check ebay or the like and adjust expectations accordingly.

Crisium

Ethereum mining has raised the prices of used AMD GPUs a bit in the past month (no where near Bitcoin mining a couple years ago though). Used 290X should be able to fetch over $200. I'm not sure what the waterblock will do to the value though.

Thraktor

That might have been true for cards like the R9 290X (and the godawful cooler didn't help them on that one), but newer GCN 1.2 based cards (380 and Fury lines) have massively improved performance per Watt. Nvidia still manages slightly lower power draws on their comparable cards, but the difference is pretty small.

The good news is with Polaris and Pascal both companies are starting from scratch with a new (for them) process node. All bets are officially off as to who will be the efficiency leader this gen.

The 980 ti is a great card, but your post is a bit extreme on the amd bashing. Cpus yes they pretty much suck, but on the gpu side the 390/390x are arguably the best perf/$ cards on the market, and a stock Fury x and 980 ti stock actually do trade blows depending on the game. The 380/380x completely out class a 960 as well. There's also nvidia being Shady about async compute and DX12, the 970 fiasco and they are still falsely advertising the smu and other specs of that card on their own website last time I checked, proprietary g-sync and game works, etc. etc. Blind Nvidia attitudes like yours are what will kill amd and result in a Nvidia monopoly in the discrete gpu market, which is good for absolutely no one.

Blind? Ha. I can pretty much guarantee I have supported AMD more than you. I literally used nothing but AMD and ATI parts for damn near two decades. I built my first computer with a K6-2. I had a 1 ghz Thunderbird when it was the fastest CPU available. I had TNT and Rage cards. I had 9800 SE pro flash cards. I even had a 7970 at launch.

I could go on. Suffice to say, I gave AMD more than a fair chance and I stopped paying for mediocrity. Whether that can compete on the budget end is immaterial to me. Every time they promise a new product will come out and beat Intel or Nvidia, it's a joke, including Fury X, which absolutely does not trade blows to my 980 Ti G1 because the "overclocker's dream" Fury X has no head room.

And your post is a bit extreme on the Nvidia bashing.

AMD and Nvidia historically trade blows in terms of power usage, huge differences like the 300 series vs Maxwell are the exception rather than the rule. On top of that, like others have mentioned, Nvidia was on the other side of that fight 6 years ago with Fermi. The GTX 480 used up 100W+ more power than AMD's 5870.

OmegaDL50

Capsaicin, as in like Peppers?

Where do they come up with these code names?

Well hopefully the card operating temperatures doesn't reflect the nomenclature.

I've been using an HD7950 for a long time now. I've been waiting for Pascal to replace it, so maybe Capsaicin will offer comparable performance relation to Pascal.

Both AMD and Nvidia are launching Polaris and Pascal so soon. We might actually have these things in our computers by the summer. I wonder how much I'll be able to get for my 980 Ti if I decide to jump in.

Top Bottom