• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Radeon announces “Capsaicin” Live Webcast at GDC on March 14th

Sanctuary

This isn't some attempt at a driveby shitpost, or a claim that one brand is "better" than the other; but if money is no object ($1000 or less anyway), and with the way Nvidia seems to actively go out of its way to hinder the performance of AMD cards in some way with some games, what's the biggest upside of going red again? Have they finally improved their leaf blower noise levels as well?

This isn't some attempt at a driveby shitpost, or a claim that one brand is "better" than the other; but if money is no object ($1000 or less anyway), and with the way Nvidia seems to actively go out of its way to hinder the performance of AMD cards in some way with some games, what's the biggest upside of going red again? Have they finally improved their leaf blower noise levels as well?

You wouldn't notice the difference most of the time and blower style coolers are always going to be louder, that's just the nature of that type of fan.

Ac30

This isn't some attempt at a driveby shitpost, or a claim that one brand is "better" than the other; but if money is no object ($1000 or less anyway), and with the way Nvidia seems to actively go out of it's way to hinder the performance of AMD cards in some way with some games, what's the biggest upside of going red again? Have they finally improved their leaf blower noise levels as well?

Price and GBs of memory are pretty much the only things that AMD have going for them, aftermarket cards are whisper quiet, but my 290 has lasted me over 2 years at this point and it's been fucking fantastic (compared to Kepler, at any rate). Pascal will probably rock whatever AMD will put out in regards to power consumption and Nvidia-specific effects though. fuck VXAO is gorgeous.

Price and GBs of memory are pretty much the only things that AMD have going for them, aftermarket cards are whisper quiet, but my 290 has lasted me over 2 years at this point and it's been fucking fantastic (compared to Kepler, at any rate). Pascal will probably rock whatever AMD will put out in regards to power consumption and Nvidia-specific effects though. fuck VXAO is gorgeous.

AMD cards match up well for the most part compared to nVidia cards though in terms of performance. A big focus with Polaris is efficiency.

Most of the AMD GPU hate is just ignorance.

They did say Hitman was running 1440p 60 fps, which seems crazy if it was running a single Polaris 10, that's supposed to be a small ~100 mm chip.

RaijinFY

They did say Hitman was running 1440p 60 fps, which seems crazy if it was running a single Polaris 10, that's supposed to be a small ~100 mm chip.

Something is fishy there... What were the settings there?
I very much doubt a 100~120mm chip at 14nm can run a game like Hitman like a R9 390.

Ac30

AMD cards match up well for the most part compared to nVidia cards though in terms of performance. A big focus with Polaris is efficiency.

Most of the AMD GPU hate is just ignorance.

I own one, lmao. They are both great companies. It all depends on what ecosystem you want to buy into, just wait for both companies to play their cards and see.

Rafy

I really don't get what AMD's goal is with this presentation. They basically have said nothing so far... Am I missing something?

SO bummed HBM2 isn't coming until 2017. Gah, what to do.

225px-Fry_Frozen,_time_lapse.png

FiraB

Banned
SO bummed HBM2 isn't coming until 2017. Gah, what to do.
Well if nvidia gets their HBM2 card out this year then I'm jumping ship personally, amd had a headstart and aren't taking advantage of it? Fucking morons, HBM1 isn't much better then GDDR5 so its a waste honeslty.

ZOONAMI

I really don't get what AMD's goal is with this presentation. They basically have said nothing so far... Am I missing something?

They demoed a Polaris chip running hit man in dx12 at 1440p 60fps. Apparently a smaller energy efficient chip, which is impressive imo. The question is what settings did they use, but if this is a 100-120mm chip doing that even if it was low-medium settings that's impressive. Of course we don't know the launch price, so that could make or break the chip.

Well if nvidia gets their HBM2 card out this year then I'm jumping ship personally, amd had a headstart and aren't taking advantage of it? Fucking morons, HBM1 isn't much better then GDDR5 so its a waste honeslty.

AMD gets first pick though, so I'm confused. So I guess the flagship cards won't be coming till 2017. and we will get the mid range GPUs with GDDR5X for just this year.

I really doubt Nvidia will have a consumer grade card with HBM1 this year.

Cartman86

Banned
Okay now THAT is cool. Starting in AR and then moving seamlessly into VR. I'm skeptical of AR right because of how difficult it is to keep those unreal elements stable (and in full view) in a real environment but that is pretty nifty.

Top Bottom