• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Radeon announces “Capsaicin” Live Webcast at GDC on March 14th

Irobot82

Well if nvidia gets their HBM2 card out this year then I'm jumping ship personally, amd had a headstart and aren't taking advantage of it? Fucking morons, HBM1 isn't much better then GDDR5 so its a waste honeslty.

Hehe. I have a feeling neither companies will release their HBM2 cards until 2017. But we'll have to wait and see. My 7950 is getting long in the tooth, especially since I upgraded to 1440p. I may just go with the best $500 card, whoever has it.

I was hoping the 'Fury X2' would come in at below £1000 including a custom waterblock. Doesn't look like that will be a reality.

I think I will just stick with a 980 Ti for a couple of years until HBM2 and 14/16nm has matured.

AmyS

Here's the new roadmap for Radeon GPUs.

sW5dL9x.png

http://techreport.com/blog/29851/radeon-pro-duo-spearheads-amd-push-for-vr-dominance

It seems to me that Vega with HBM2 will take on the flagship Pascal, and then in 2018 the Navi GPU with 'Nextgen' memory will take on Nvidia's Volta, also expected in 2018.

The questions I think are:

Is Navi a future GPU architecture beyond Polaris (Vega is really the flagship Polaris) or what. I believe it's probably just another name for a refined GPU with Polaris architecture.

More importantly, what is "Nextgen" memory? Is it a yet-to-be-announced HBM3 spec, or, what Nvidia has referred to as 1.5x efficient HBM2, shown in a slide last year:

i2IPntw.jpg

LeleSocho

Banned
Better that both companies come out with HBM2 cards at the same time instead of one way before the other.

Both companies at the same time is actually the worst scenario possible and only a madman/Nvidia shareholder would think like this, AMD with a significant early start for HBM2 would have made the company healthier by attracting the enthusiasts capable of spending lots of money and that would have put pressures on Nvidia in delivering better products.
Now instead we have the status quo maintained with Nvidia doing the good and bad weather while AMD struggles to survive another year with always declining marketshare and less and less reasons for people choosing it over the competitors.

Top Bottom