• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Radeon announces “Capsaicin” Live Webcast at GDC on March 14th

GDC is a developer conference, and anyone thinking it's the place AMD will dish out lots of consumer facing info will no doubt be disappointed. Don't expect the silicon preview to be anything more than what we saw at CES with the Polaris power efficiency demo. Hard launch will be months away, and giving specific numbers out now makes no sense.

fingers crossed AMD will redeem themselves with 14nm finfet. Just be competitive in performance, generate less heat, and consume less power and we're sold.

"The next hour, hour and a half..."

ylnOuKy.gif

Zojirushi

I mean HBM2 isn't ready yet. NVIDIA has the same problem. Vega was hinted at Q416/Q117 on that slide so that's when we're gonna see HBM2 cards from AMD (Vega) and 1080Tis/Titans from Nvidia,

Nachtmaer

So Vega is probably that rumored third chip after all. Polaris 10/11 were pretty much confirmed to not have HBM though. 10 was shown and estimated at about 110mm² and 11 was rumored to be ~230mm², so they're pretty much x60 and x70 replacements.

I bet Vega will be replacing either Hawaii or Tahiti then. I assume something in the range of Tahiti's size should be a decent amount faster than Fiji and leaves enough room for bigger chips later on.

AmyS

HBM2 is being reserved for very high-end / enthusiast class Polaris and Pascal.

Anything below that is GDDR5X.

Top Bottom