• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen CPUs will launch by March 3

Rumor is 8c/16t starts around $350. More than likely a non-clockable version.

IIRC all the Ryzen CPUs are supposed to be overclockable but I could be wrong.

Ryzen looks to offer a ridiculous amount of CPU power for a low price, it's crazy really if the leaked/rumored pricing comes to fruition.

Parsnip

All of this stuff is coming at a perfect time for me, since I'm looking to potentially replace my massive pc with a small itx build at some point in the near future.

Outlook is good, can't wait for all the proper benchmarks and prices, and Intel's price drop response if they feel they need to make one.

All of this stuff is coming at a perfect time for me, since I'm looking to potentially replace my massive pc with a small itx build at some point in the near future.

Outlook is good, can't wait for all the proper benchmarks and prices, and Intel's price drop response if they feel they need to make one.

Will there be any small form factor Mobo's at launch?

IIRC all the Ryzen CPUs are supposed to be overclockable but I could be wrong.

Ryzen looks to offer a ridiculous amount of CPU power for a low price, it's crazy really if the leaked/rumored pricing comes to fruition.

Oh shit, that's right. My bad on that. Yeah, I'm hoping like hell this stuff is legit. Really rooting for AMD here.

I think AMD has stated all SKU's are overclockable. Rumor mill says the X models are ones that have the automatic OC enabled if you have the necessary cooling for it.

I personally don't use liquid cooling, so will a good air cooler suffice? I'm hoping to place a Noctua on this bad boy. The automatic OC would be a blessing for rendering in Adobe.

dr_rus

These 3DMark physics results are rather impressive although there's something strange going on between 6800K and 37/33 when compared to 38/34 and 6900K positions.

I personally don't use liquid cooling, so will a good air cooler suffice? I'm hoping to place a Noctua on this bad boy. The automatic OC would be a blessing for rendering in Adobe.

Potentially some of the top SKU's come with AMD's own coolers which might be enough as long as ambient temperature isn't too high. A good third party cooler should definitely do better, but I doubt the automatic OC will amount to much gain since they'll probably err on the side of stability over getting close to what's possible with manual OC.

AMD-Ryzen-CPU-Coolers.png

Could be, but as you can see for the PC gaming market Intel iGPUs are not really all that significant. (And I'd assume at least 15 percentage points of those 17% Intel GPUs are in laptops)

I wonder how many people buying a 6700k level chip will ever use the igpu

faint.

Potentially some of the top SKU's come with AMD's own coolers which might be enough as long as ambient temperature isn't too high. A good third party cooler should definitely do better, but I doubt the automatic OC will amount to much gain since they'll probably err on the side of stability over getting close to what's possible with manual OC.

AMD-Ryzen-CPU-Coolers.png

Wasn't this confirmed to be a fan render? It's also from wccftech which might as well be a banned site.

Wasn't this confirmed to be a fan render? It's also from wccftech which might as well be a banned site.

Was it? That render also came with a few twitter photos of Raja with similar looking cooler. In any case AMD has had Wraith coolers available for some time.

C4Xf4YgUcAALBE6.jpg

Why the huge difference in scores on a per core basis? Does the hex and Octo cores have significantly more cache?

When one is at 4ghz getting the same score as 3.4ghz, there is obviously something else going on right?

The benchmark doesn't scale linearly with core count and that 2nd graph isn't from a separate single core benchmark. It's just the multi core result divided by number of cores which naturally puts the parts wth a higher core count at a disadvantage.

Durante

These 3DMark physics results are rather impressive although there's something strange going on between 6800K and 37/33 when compared to 38/34 and 6900K positions.
I think the only thing going on there is non-perfect parallel scaling.

Edit: yep, as above.

What's the difference between the different sets of ryzen? Because that one at 4ghz being barely above the Intel below it at 3.2 ghz isn't super impressive.
Tbh, it's kind of weird since a 3.2ghz Rizen has almost the same score as the one@4.0 so, it's likely to be driver related (?)

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Thanks for the head's up, guys. My rig is mostly for gaming, but I do a fair bit of video editing too. Maybe in a few months or so I'll see what effect these CPU's have on the price of a CPU compatible with my MoBo.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Not reading through 100s of pages of this thread so I will ask a simple question:

Is this the AMD CPU that is expected to finally compete with Intel?

Not reading through 100s of pages of this thread so I will ask a simple question:

Is this the AMD CPU that is expected to finally compete with Intel?

Yes. Most leaks are pointing to Broadwell-E level IPC at roughly half the cost. It may not quite match that but it looks like it will be closer enough to be competitive again.

Clock for clock it won't match Skylake and it won't clock as high either but at every price point you're getting more cores/threads than the Intel equivalent.

Big pluses for me are overclocking is enabled on all chips as well as the cheaper mainstream B350 based motherboards.

Where did you get this info from?

None of the leaks so far have suggested we'll get the reliable ~5ghz overclocks of KabyLake and stock base clocks are appreciably lower than Kaby Lake as well. I'd love to see it happen but it doesn't look likely currently.

I don't think it needs to either though, if we can get reliable overclocks in the 4.2-4.5ghz range then you're talking about a ridiculous amount of performance for the price and more than enough single thread performance for games.

Vipu

Banned
None of the leaks so far have suggested we'll get the reliable ~5ghz overclocks of KabyLake and stock base clocks are appreciably lower than Kaby Lake as well. I'd love to see it happen but it doesn't look likely currently.

I don't think it needs to either though, if we can get reliable overclocks in the 4.2-4.5ghz range then you're talking about a ridiculous amount of performance for the price and more than enough single thread performance for games.

Yeah im not sure it will get to 5ghz either but there have not been any news about overclocking.
Or there was some "leak" or "rumor" that it can clock to 5ghz but...

Was this the guy from the Scorpio Video?

Scorpio video? He's Raja Koduri, head of RTG, AMD's graphics division.

Yeah im not sure it will get to 5ghz either but there have not been any news about overclocking.
Or there was some "leak" or "rumor" that it can clock to 5ghz but...

There was an earlier rumor that an engineering sample reached 5 GHz OC on a single core with air cooling. That of course doesn't mean Zen will reach those clocks with all cores, but the shipping chips might be better than that engineering sample. Or the whole thing was just a fake.

Yeah but no Intel 8-core or even 6-core gets close to 5ghz, which is what these Ryzen CPUs should be compared to so it's a bit unfair to have that as a barometer. It's only some 4-core Kabylake 7700K's that can overclock to 5Ghz and it's certainly not guaranteed. Some kind of marketing is going on here where everyone now assumes 5ghz overclocks with that CPU are a given (go to the members club on Overclock.net for stats from actual owners on their OCs).

So it's pretty crazy to expect an 8-core to OC to 5ghz when even Intel xan't achieve that on their super mature architectures and latest HEDT.

longdi

Banned
I think the average kaby lake goes to 4.8ghz. The 5ghz is more for those pushing it.

That 3dmark physics, It seems like amd is not kidding with ryzen. 8C16T at 350 going head to head with a 1000 part, these things are going out of stocks fast. If it isn't more obvious Intel has been scalping us all...

My 4.5ghz 5960x only got 21k by comparison!

If AMD's second tier (~$350) chip at base clocks really can outperform Intel's $1000 6900K then this is going to completely shake up the market.

The G4560 will be the only Intel chip left that wins at any given market segment. Suddenly, every single PC recommendation has to be a Ryzen chip from top to bottom.

I wish!

Ryzen @ 3.3 beating 7700k @ 4.2

That's a 6C/12T Ryzen chip. Although if price rumours are to be believed it's going up against Intel's 4C/4T i5 7600k. If that really does pan out it's going to be a bloodbath.

This is actually funny. If this is true, you'll be able to pick up a CPU over 4X cheaper than Intel's monster 10-core 6950X and overclock it to make it faster.

If XFR works as advertised it will do that out of the box with no manual intervention at all.

The price difference becomes even more stark when you factor in the huge gulf in platform costs. Ryzen only needs a $100 mainstream board and dual channel memory.

I wonder what they could do in the mobile space as well. Intel has complete dominance over high end notebooks and laptops. I would love to see a proper chip from AMD with also a GPU from them and undercut intel and nvidia by $300-$400.

Oh man... That Ryzen 1300 only needs clockspeed to match the 7700k. Holy shit AMD.

Considering there's an 8 core version of the chip sat right there at a comfortable 4ghz, there's clearly plenty headroom left to push it much further.

That chip is rumoured to be just $175. To put that in perspective, that's actually less than an unlocked i3 from Intel which requires a more expensive motherboard to overclock.

If XFR works as advertised it will do that out of the box with no manual intervention at all.

The price difference becomes even more stark when you factor in the huge gulf in platform costs. Ryzen only needs a $100 mainstream board and dual channel memory.

Indeed. Performance per dollar is about to go through the roof. Or cost per performance about to drop like a stone, depending on which way you want to look at it. Either way, it should be glorious.

Papacheeks

Banned
Yeah 3.3 in that chart is R5 1600x

I'm going by the actual leaked documents that are on the net showing all the models.

That chart tells me nothing I dont see where it says 8/16 for x1600?

Indeed. Performance per dollar is about to go through the roof. Or cost per performance about to drop like a stone, depending on which way you want to look at it. Either way, it should be glorious.

Intel should be getting ready to slash those prices. Can you feel it.......... I can taste it...............the tension............ I can feel it all the way down to my Plumbs!!

Top Bottom