• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen CPUs will launch by March 3

Datschge

Hopefully, although I can't help but be worried that there's a down side somewhere. If they really are offering a lot more pound for pound, and Ryzen does well, doesn't that risk starting a price war with Intel? Good for consumers, not necessarily good for AMD.
The "down side" as far as I can see (that's more like an advantage for the audience they target) is the lack of iGPU. And for AMD that's also a good thing as without iGPU the size of the die is significantly smaller and yield much better (aside that all different Ryzen models so far afaik base on the same die design, just with different amount of cores being activated, increasing the yield even further). Starting a price war there seems perfect as Intel's iGPU-free CPUs are all well beyond the $200 mark when I last checked.

I know you all like hyperbole on these forums so let me give you some: the R7 1700 literally looks like the deal of the decade if leaks are to be believed.

A CPU THREE TIMES CHEAPER than the Intel SKU it's competitive with. Wow. Holy mackerel. Jesus H chris.

I was half joking a month or so ago when I said Ryzen is gonna light a fire under Intel's monopolist ass but these will do more than that.

ASUS motherboard price leak via a retailer:
http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-am4-asus-motherboard-prices-leaked/

$209 Asus Crosshair VI Hero
$149 Asus Prime X370-PRO
$89 Asus Prime B350-PLUS
$69 Asus Prime B350M-A [mATX, no VRM heatsinks]

All support overclocking. I was hoping for some X300 ITX boards at launch but I haven't seen any yet...

Really good price range. The Prime seems to be a great choice. That or the $89 version will be my choice for my 6c/12t (Or 8-core, whichever) Ryzen CPU.

Would an 8-core provide better rendering speeds for video editors, or is it safer to just stick with a 6-core. This is for editing 4K footage.

dr_rus

I went into it in the 7700K review topic, but you should know that most of Anandtech's gaming benchmarks are basically worthless since they're all averages, and some are potentially GPU-bottlenecked too.

However you're right about lots of games not benefitting from >4 cores - especially if you're comparing to a 4c/8t CPU. I posted a number of examples here.
Four threads is definitely a bottleneck in some newer games today, but a hyperthreaded quad-core is often better for those games than having eight cores.

I do want more than four cores, because I actually have games/applications that will benefit from it, but I'm still very concerned about giving up performance in games that don't, since more cores generally means that your per-core performance is lower.

I'd argue that most (like 95 out of a 100) modern games are GPU limited most of the time even on some i3s - but this is why I think that AMD may actually hit the jackpot here as today it might be enough to be just "adequate" in gaming CPU performance which would translate to reaching the top-10 typical gaming CPU performers - which in addition to them offering twice the cores would be a clear win situation for Ryzen.

Intel spent too many years selling CPUs with completely pointless iGPUs in them in PC space so this is an obvious weak spot of their lineup and AMD is clearly planning to hit them in it. I just don't want this to be another repeat of AMD product announce cycle with people imagining stuff like Ryzen beating 6900K and then being disappointed by the actual results. So just keep them expectations in check.

Durante

Intel spent too many years selling CPUs with completely pointless iGPUs in them in PC space so this is an obvious weak spot of their lineup and AMD is clearly planning to hit them in it. I just don't want this to be another repeat of AMD product announce cycle with people imagining stuff like Ryzen beating 6900K and then being disappointed by the actual results. So just keep them expectations in check.
This is a good point, especially when you consider that the iGPU die area is now more than 1/3rd of the average mainstream Intel quad core IIRC. That's not free.

One overlooked aspect of Ryzen IMO is if IPC is close to Haswell and prices confirmed, that basically means for 200 to 250 bucks, we will get the equivalent of an i5 you can overclock with the price of the mobo included ! :O

Nikodemos

Intel spent too many years selling CPUs with completely pointless iGPUs in them
I wouldn't call them pointless. They provided 'free' cash for Intel's graphics divsion while setting them up as the most used GPU in various game metrics (see Steam).

Unfortunately, they also created an image of integrated GPUs being invariably crappy.

I'd argue that most (like 95 out of a 100) modern games are GPU limited most of the time even on some i3s - but this is why I think that AMD may actually hit the jackpot here as today it might be enough to be just "adequate" in gaming CPU performance which would translate to reaching the top-10 typical gaming CPU performers - which in addition to them offering twice the cores would be a clear win situation for Ryzen.

Yeah sorry I'm doing it again :p

It is clear though that Ryzen shouldn't be associated with the over-promising and under-delivering GPU division headed by Raja Koduri. We also need this shake-up far more than we do the one in the videocard business, so that's why I'm shaking at the knees the closer we get to launch on Feb 28 because I want it to deliver.

Durante

I wouldn't call them pointless. They provided 'free' cash for Intel's graphics divsion while setting them up as the most used GPU in various game metrics (see Steam).
Hmm?
hw_gpusohoh0.png

(I also like just how old the code generating this chart must be to still refer to AMD as ATI :p)

Durante

Wasn't an Intel iGPU the most used graphics chip prior to the 970?
Could be, but as you can see for the PC gaming market Intel iGPUs are not really all that significant. (And I'd assume at least 15 percentage points of those 17% Intel GPUs are in laptops)

Nikodemos

Could be, but as you can see for the PC gaming market Intel iGPUs are not really all that significant. (And I'd assume at least 15 percentage points of those 17% Intel GPUs are in laptops)
I'd go for 16.5 percentage points. With the rest in HTPCs.

And it's true, but it used to be absolutely insignificant. Remember how utterly shit Sandy Bridge graphics were? Plus I see lots of company people running various low-spec games on their work laptops, including several that wouldn't be tracked by Steam, like WoW/HS/HotS.

It definitely helped Intel gain a foothold in graphics, so I would never call their efforts 'pointless'.

Paragon

The "down side" as far as I can see (that's more like an advantage for the audience they target) is the lack of iGPU. And for AMD that's also a good thing as without iGPU the size of the die is significantly smaller and yield much better (aside that all different Ryzen models so far afaik base on the same die design, just with different amount of cores being activated, increasing the yield even further). Starting a price war there seems perfect as Intel's iGPU-free CPUs are all well beyond the $200 mark when I last checked.
Removing the GPU is the whole reason they are able to sell 8-core CPUs at this price.
In a 7700K, the iGPU is larger than the four CPU cores.
The Ryzen package is apparently going to be ~10% smaller than Intel's current CPUs while fitting 8 cores.

Wasn't an Intel iGPU the most used graphics chip prior to the 970?
The Steam survey probably only records what system specs are being used to run the client, which is not necessarily being used to play games.
I have my Steam account set up on a couple of laptops with Intel iGPUs but I rarely use them for gaming.
99% of my gaming time is spent on the desktop PC, but that's two iGPUs that are logged into my Steam account vs one desktop GPU.

Durante

I'd go for 16.5 percentage points. With the rest in HTPCs.

And it's true, but it used to be absolutely insignificant. Remember how utterly shit Sandy Bridge graphics were? Plus I see lots of company people running various low-spec games on their work laptops, including several that wouldn't be tracked by Steam, like WoW/HS/HotS.

It definitely helped Intel gain a foothold in graphics, so I would never call their efforts 'pointless'.

It's certainly not pointless from a larger computing perspective, but it's pretty pointless for exactly the target market AMD are going after with their first set of desktop Ryzen CPUs.

Nikodemos

It's certainly not pointless from a larger computing perspective, but it's pretty pointless for exactly the target market AMD are going after with their first set of desktop Ryzen CPUs.
Which, unless I'm mistaken, is composed mostly of people wishing to upgrade from a Sandy Bridge or people wanting their first PC build, correct?

shandy706

Not good results to competition but a good increase over previous AMD CPUs.

Does RAM effect those benchmarks at all?

I noticed the AMD system had slower RAM.

Either way, it's all about price right now. I use to love AMD's CPU's in the early to mid 2000s. Always put them in my systems. I've sworn by Intel's since 2008 though (my first i7) and I'd need to see a great deal to try out one of these new AMD CPUs.

Papacheeks

Banned
Does RAM effect those benchmarks at all?

I noticed the AMD system had slower RAM.

Either way, it's all about price right now. I use to love AMD's CPU's in the early to mid 2000s. Always put them in my systems. I've sworn by Intel's since 2008 though (my first i7) and I'd need to see a great deal to try out one of these new AMD CPUs.

Yes it makes a difference, also these were running on not final boards, and were running at stock clocks 3.4ghz.

I imagine running on a good final board with better memory that doesn't have shit timings and have the boost on or overclock to 4.0ghz which these easily can.

I think you will see that though they wont full beat out a 6900k or 6950k they at least can hold their own for the price which is the entire point.

Durante

I have the same "CPU history". I was on various AMD CPUs ever since the K6-2. Then I stuck with the i7 920 from late 2008 until late 2014, at which point I got a Haswell-E (went a bit higher in price since I thought "looks like I'm only buying a CPU every 6 years at most these days").

It would be nice to see a competitive AMD again when I'm shopping for a new CPU in 2020 or so.

shandy706

I have the same "CPU history". I was on various AMD CPUs ever since the K6-2. Then I stuck with the i7 920 from late 2008 until late 2014, at which point I got a Haswell-E (went a bit higher in price since I thought "looks like I'm only buying a CPU every 6 years at most these days").

It would be nice to see a competitive AMD again when I'm shopping for a new CPU in 2020 or so.

The 920 is/was such a beast.

I'm starting to look now, so this set of AMD CPUs may be in the running. My current system still pulls its weight no problem though...so I'm conflicted.

Yes it makes a difference, also these were running on not final boards, and were running at stock clocks 3.4ghz.

I imagine running on a good final board with better memory that doesn't have shit timings and have the boost on or overclock to 4.0ghz which these easily can.

I think you will see that though they wont full beat out a 6900k or 6950k they at least can hold their own for the price which is the entire point.

^This.

I am mentally prepared for Ryzen to not top the 6900k and 6950k, but for it to potentially get close to them at their price points is what makes AMD amazing in this scenario. I'm waiting for official benchmarks, though. As an indie filmmaker myself, having access to a 6c/12t CPU for $250 or an 8c/16t for $319 is major and allows for budget editing PC's.

Reallink

So glad I sold my 6600k yesterday for $250. Prices are going to crater, exciting times.

Huh, are people laundering money through used CPU's or are you Canadian or something? New full price retail on 6600k is only $240 with sale prices going well below $200, why would someone pay $250 used.

Huh, are people laundering money through used CPU's or are you Canadian or something? New full price retail on 6600k is only $240 with sale prices going well below $200, why would someone pay $250 used.
Maybe he included the mobo in it too. That would be a solid deal.

Khaz

Is it ok to be excited for this when a cheap ass gamer? I was looking at the rumoured prices and I would love to get a quad core for 150€. AMD using a single platform for the next four years means that I can upgrade for a better processor at any time easily without having to also change the motherboard, ram and what have you.

Is it ok to be excited for this when a cheap ass gamer? I was looking at the rumoured prices and I would love to get a quad core for 150€. AMD using a single platform for the next four years means that I can upgrade for a better processor at any time easily without having to also change the motherboard, ram and what have you.
It's okay to be excited, but don't let the hype overwhelm you. Keep those expectations in check, that way you won't get disappointed.

As ever, wait for reviews, benchmarks and final prices, but the signs so far have been generally good.

Snookie

Man i'm so close to pulling the trigger on a 7700K build but i really want to see the benchmarks of ryzen. I'd love to be able to save a few bucks and put that money towards other things.

DieH@rd

Banned
WCCF Tech have rumoured motherboard price from Asus. An overclockable B350 board from $69 sounds nice and a fair way cheaper than overclockable Intel boards.

You should really not expect much from a board that has such small power section and does not even have VRM heatsinks.

Durante

As long as they overclock decently, I'd say the "value gaming" segment stands to benefit particularly from the Ryzen release, as it obviates the need to go for the more expensive Intel "k" CPUs and Z series boards for overclocking.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm a relative neophyte. Would I need an entirely new MoBo? I've got an MSI Z170A GAMING M5 (MS-7977) (U3E1), any chance one of the higher-scale ones would work with this MoBo?

I've got an i5 6600 at 3.8 Ghz, I'm assuming the roughly $500 model would be a significant upgrade?

jwhit28

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm a relative neophyte. Would I need an entirely new MoBo? I've got an MSI Z170A GAMING M5 (MS-7977) (U3E1), any chance one of the higher-scale ones would work with this MoBo?

I've got an i5 6600 at 3.8 Ghz, I'm assuming the roughly $500 model would be a significant upgrade?

You would need a new motherboard. There isn't much of a reason though as your motherboard still has a lot of better CPU models you could upgrade to if you feel you need it.

The second chart is important too, as it shows the per core performance:

I think the next chart is far my important. Notice how close all Ryzen CPUs are to each other if we take single-thread performance. Kabylake CPUs really are doing better here, but since Ryzen offers more cores, that difference suddenly becomes unimportant.

The lesson from this is simple. We can finally start benchmarking GPUs with Ryzen.
AMD-Ryzen-3DMark-Physics-Score-PER-CORE.png

The multithread results seem to indicate near 6900K speed, but not sure about the clocks. The single threaded results seem strange, but maybe it's explained by different SKU's, different cache etc.

You'd need a new AM4 socket motherboard with X370 chipset for a Ryzen processor.

I would only consider upgrading from an i5 6600 if you really need the extra cores for something. For gaming it's probably not worth it.

What's the difference between the different sets of ryzen? Because that one at 4ghz being barely above the Intel below it at 3.2 ghz isn't super impressive.

The price of the 6900k is like 1000 bucks. The Ryzen leak shows 500 I think. They're both 8 core.

Edit: sorry, I didn't directly answer your question, and honestly I don't know. It's probably just the particular phsyics per core test that is that doesn't show that model's benefits.

What's the difference between the different sets of ryzen? Because that one at 4ghz being barely above the Intel below it at 3.2 ghz isn't super impressive.

Quad core, hexa core and octa core. Source.

AMD Ryzen: ZD3406BAM88F4_38/34_Y — Eight-Core CPU
AMD Ryzen: ZD3301BBM6IF4_37/33_Y — Six-Core CPU
AMD Ryzen: ZD3201BBM4KF4_34/32_Y — Quad-Core CPU

The 6900K is a CPU that's over $1000, the 8 core Ryzen chip is rumored to be sub $600.

You want to put a Ryzen cpu in this mobo? Can't be done, they use completely different sockets. Even different Intel cpus may need a new motherboard.

If you want to upgrade just your cpu some of the best ones that will fit your motherboard are the i7-7700k or i7-6700k (which are also about the best cpus you can get right now). They are pretty killer cpus but will not be much of an upgrade unless you do video encoding. You won't see much of an improvement if any in most games.

Even then we don't know yet if the Ryzen's will perform the same or better.

Top Bottom