• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD "Strix Halo" Zen 5 Mobile Processor Pictured

Loxus

AMD "Strix Halo" Zen 5 Mobile Processor Pictured: Chiplet-based, Uses 256-bit LPDDR5X

The "Strix Halo" silicon is a chiplet-based processor, although very different from "Fire Range". The "Fire Range" processor is essentially a BGA version of the desktop "Granite Ridge" processor—it's the same combination of one or two "Zen 5" CCDs that talk to a client I/O die, and is meant for performance-thru-enthusiast segment notebooks. "Strix Halo," on the other hand, use the same one or two "Zen 5" CCDs, but with a large SoC die featuring an oversized iGPU, and 256-bit LPDDR5X memory controllers not found on the cIOD. This is key to what AMD is trying to achieve—CPU and graphics performance in the league of the M3 Pro and M3 Max at comparable PCB and power footprints.
FosUweM.png

As for the CPU, since "Strix Halo" is using one or two "Zen 5" CCDs, its CPU performance will be similar to "Fire Range." You get up to 16 "Zen 5" CPU cores, with 32 MB of L3 cache per CCD, or 64 MB of total CPU L3 cache. The CCDs are connected to the SoC die either using conventional IFOP (Infinity Fabric over package), just like "Fire Range" and "Granite Ridge," or there's even a possibility that AMD is using Infinity Fanout links like on some of its chiplet-based RDNA 3 discrete GPUs.
0UaksPY.png

The SoC I/O of "Strix Halo" isn't as comprehensive as "Fire Range," because the chip has been designed on the idea that the notebook will use its large iGPU. It has PCIe Gen 5, but only a total of 12 Gen 5 lanes—4 toward an M.2 NVMe slot, and 8 to spare for a discrete GPU (if present), although these can be used to connect any PCIe device, including additional M.2 slots. There's also integrated 40 Gbps USB4, and 20 Gbps USB 3.2 Gen 2.
robIyqN.png

Lastly, there are some highly speculative performance predictions for the "Strix Halo" iGPU, which puts it competitive to the GeForce RTX 4060M and RTX 4070M.
BVf3Yck.png

Rumored Spec List
Strix Point Halo
Socket: FP11

CPU: 16x Zen5 (2x CCD)
• Node: TSMC N4X
• 16c Zen5, L2: 16MB L3: 64MB
• Turbo Clock up to: 5.8 GHz
• Die Size: 80-85 mm²

GPU: 40CU RDNA 3.5 (2SE, 20WGP)
• GFX: 1151
• Node: TSMC N4P
• Boost Clock up to: 3.0 GHz
• Stream Processors: 2560
• AI accelerators: 80
• Ray accelerators: 40
• TMUs: 160
• ROPs: 64
• Die Size: 200 mm²

NPU: XDNA2
• 64 AIE-ML tiles
• 45-50 TOPs

Memory: LPDDR5X-8533
• 256-bit
• Bandwidth: ~500 GB/s
• MALL Cache: 32MB

TDP: 45-150/175W
LQXAQUU.jpeg

Bonus rumors and speculations.
wY3CG4s.jpeg

Sonoma Valley possibly Sream Deck 2.
AMD Zen 5 “Ryzen” Mobility APU Configurations: Strix With 12 Cores, Kraken With 8 Cores, Sonoma With 4 Cores
The Kraken Point "Ryzen" APUs will feature 4 Zen 5 and 4 Zen 5C cores for a total of 8 cores and 16 threads. These will be the more mainstream offerings aimed at thin and light designs coupled with a RDNA 3+ GPU architecture (4 WGP / 8 CU). In addition to these, there will be a low-power offering in the form of Sonoma Valley. This chip is likely to power the next-generation Steam Deck & will be featuring just four Zen 5C cores with 8 threads.

Someone like me who uses a laptop for classes, work and gaming, Strix Halo is looking really appealing as an upgrade. My only hope is it has RDNA4 BVH8 RT and Traversal Engine.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

AMD "Strix Halo" Zen 5 Mobile Processor Pictured: Chiplet-based, Uses 256-bit LPDDR5X

The "Strix Halo" silicon is a chiplet-based processor, although very different from "Fire Range". The "Fire Range" processor is essentially a BGA version of the desktop "Granite Ridge" processor—it's the same combination of one or two "Zen 5" CCDs that talk to a client I/O die, and is meant for performance-thru-enthusiast segment notebooks. "Strix Halo," on the other hand, use the same one or two "Zen 5" CCDs, but with a large SoC die featuring an oversized iGPU, and 256-bit LPDDR5X memory controllers not found on the cIOD. This is key to what AMD is trying to achieve—CPU and graphics performance in the league of the M3 Pro and M3 Max at comparable PCB and power footprints.
FosUweM.png

As for the CPU, since "Strix Halo" is using one or two "Zen 5" CCDs, its CPU performance will be similar to "Fire Range." You get up to 16 "Zen 5" CPU cores, with 32 MB of L3 cache per CCD, or 64 MB of total CPU L3 cache. The CCDs are connected to the SoC die either using conventional IFOP (Infinity Fabric over package), just like "Fire Range" and "Granite Ridge," or there's even a possibility that AMD is using Infinity Fanout links like on some of its chiplet-based RDNA 3 discrete GPUs.
0UaksPY.png

The SoC I/O of "Strix Halo" isn't as comprehensive as "Fire Range," because the chip has been designed on the idea that the notebook will use its large iGPU. It has PCIe Gen 5, but only a total of 12 Gen 5 lanes—4 toward an M.2 NVMe slot, and 8 to spare for a discrete GPU (if present), although these can be used to connect any PCIe device, including additional M.2 slots. There's also integrated 40 Gbps USB4, and 20 Gbps USB 3.2 Gen 2.
robIyqN.png

Lastly, there are some highly speculative performance predictions for the "Strix Halo" iGPU, which puts it competitive to the GeForce RTX 4060M and RTX 4070M.
BVf3Yck.png

Rumored Spec List
Strix Point Halo
Socket: FP11

CPU: 16x Zen5 (2x CCD)
• Node: TSMC N4X
• 16c Zen5, L2: 16MB L3: 64MB
• Turbo Clock up to: 5.8 GHz
• Die Size: 80-85 mm²

GPU: 40CU RDNA 3.5 (2SE, 20WGP)
• GFX: 1151
• Node: TSMC N4P
• Boost Clock up to: 3.0 GHz
• Stream Processors: 2560
• AI accelerators: 80
• Ray accelerators: 40
• TMUs: 160
• ROPs: 64
• Die Size: 200 mm²

NPU: XDNA2
• 64 AIE-ML tiles
• 45-50 TOPs

Memory: LPDDR5X-8533
• 256-bit
• Bandwith: ~500 GB/s
• MALL Cache: 32MB

TDP: 45-150/175W
LQXAQUU.jpeg

Bonus rumors and speculations.
wY3CG4s.jpeg

Sonoma Valley possibly Sream Deck 2.
Someone like me who uses a laptop for classes, work and gaming, Strix Halo is looking really appealing as an upgrade. My only hope is it has RDNA4 BVH8 RT and Traversal Engine.
Considering those additional instructions are now premiering in PS5 Pro later this year it is possible, but I would think that no it would not have them and thus the Steam Deck 2 would not if they do not wait for a successor. It might be worth for them to wait for a revision with RDNA4 as it would provide the kind of bump in performance to make RT more viable in a handheld at base PS5 levels (maybe a bit more).

Bry0

Sonoma valley is a 2cu part, that is NOT going in a steam deck 2. 1000 points is a worse time spy score than the current steam deck lol.

Could valve create a custom version with an 8cu gpu? Perhaps but I still don’t think that’s a significant enough jump in architecture to justify a new generation honestly. At least in the gpu side.

Last edited:

Loxus

Sonoma valley is a 2cu part, that is NOT going in a steam deck 2. 1000 points is a worse time spy score than the current steam deck lol.

Could valve create a custom version with an 8cu gpu? Perhaps but I still don’t think that’s a significant enough jump in architecture to justify a new generation honestly. At least in the gpu side.
It's from here.
AMD Zen 5 “Ryzen” Mobility APU Configurations: Strix With 12 Cores, Kraken With 8 Cores, Sonoma With 4 Cores
The Kraken Point "Ryzen" APUs will feature 4 Zen 5 and 4 Zen 5C cores for a total of 8 cores and 16 threads. These will be the more mainstream offerings aimed at thin and light designs coupled with a RDNA 3+ GPU architecture (4 WGP / 8 CU). In addition to these, there will be a low-power offering in the form of Sonoma Valley. This chip is likely to power the next-generation Steam Deck & will be featuring just four Zen 5C cores with 8 threads.

I'm not sure if the (4 WGP / 8 CU) part is referring to Sonoma Valley as well.

Last edited:

Zathalus

It's form here.

They are clearly wrong with that speculation. That chip has a substantially weaker GPU compared to the current Steam Deck. Maybe Kraken or Strix Point would be used. Or something else entirely.

Bry0

It's form here.

No it’s referring to kraken point with 8CU. If you look at the the last table you posted “zen5soc.jpeg” it breaks down the gpu configurations. Sonoma valley is only 2CU. It’s just the wccftech writer making speculation up based on cpu core count.

Last edited:

Loxus

They are clearly wrong with that speculation. That chip has a substantially weaker GPU compared to the current Steam Deck. Maybe Kraken or Strix Point would be used. Or something else entirely.
Who knows.🤷‍♂️
Currently all this is rumors and speculations.

The name Sonoma Valley sets it apart from the other APUs though. Implying it's a custom APU.

Last edited:

Bry0

I hope valve goes semi-custom. Van Gogh is just really really well thought out for the device it’s in. I think that shows when you consider how close in performance and better in efficiency it is compared to z1 devices. It just makes all the right trade offs. I think it’s very cool

Loxus

Considering those additional instructions are now premiering in PS5 Pro later this year it is possible, but I would think that no it would not have them and thus the Steam Deck 2 would not if they do not wait for a successor. It might be worth for them to wait for a revision with RDNA4 as it would provide the kind of bump in performance to make RT more viable in a handheld at base PS5 levels (maybe a bit more).
My idea is RDNA3.5 and RDNA4 has the same features and specs, but AMD gave the APUs the name RDNA3.5 for their iGPU and RDNA4 for the dedicated GPUs.

Last edited:

Loxus

No it’s referring to kraken point with 8CU. If you look at the the last table you posted “zen5soc.jpeg” it breaks down the gpu configurations. Sonoma valley is only 2CU. It’s just the wccftech writer making speculation up based on cpu core count.
Could it be a case where the Steam Deck 2 uses an Nvidia gpu?

Loxus

no!

And a 2CU configuration for the next steam deck... I would advise the writer at techpowerup or wccftech to stick to his day job and leave tech news to those who are at least tech literate
I'm not sure but this was one of the first info of Sonoma Valley.

Steam Deck 2: Release Date, Price and Technical Features

Technical Features of the Steam Deck 2

According to leaks from the generally well-informed Chiphell, the Steam Deck 2 would be a real rise compared to its predecessor:

• APU Sonoma Valley Zen 5c Manufactured by Samsung in 4nm.
  • 16 CU RDNA 4 for the graphic part (compared to 8 on the current version)
  • LPDDR5X brief clocked at 8533 MT/s
  • 7-inch OLED Screen in Definition 1280x800
This configuration suggests a sharp increase in performance, ideal for taking advantage of the latest AAA titles in good conditions. The choice of an APU combining high-performance and low-power cores should make it possible to combine power and autonomy.

I don't know why it's now changed to 2 CUs, but Sonoma Valley seems to be the Steam Deck 2.

Bry0

According to leaks from the generally well-informed Chiphell, the Steam Deck 2 would be a real rise compared to its predecessor:

This configuration suggests a sharp increase in performance, ideal for taking advantage of the latest AAA titles in good conditions. The choice of an APU combining high-performance and low-power cores should make it possible to combine power and autonomy.

I don't know why it's now changed to 2 CUs, but Sonoma Valley seems to be the Steam Deck 2.
If you just go to chiphell they are saying it’s 2cu. Your own table image came from chiphell. I wouldn’t put too much stock into these clickbait articles.

Loxus

If you just go to chiphell they are saying it’s 2cu. Your own table image came from chiphell. I wouldn’t put too much stock into these clickbait articles.
The article above your post sites Chiphell as the source for Sonoma Valley being Steam Deck 2 as well.

Going by this guy, the iGPU is unknown and we want see this until 2027-2028, so I wouldn't worry about it.

My idea is RDNA3.5 and RDNA4 has the same features and specs, but AMD gave the APUs the name RDNA3.5 for their iGPU and RDNA4 for the dedicated GPUs.
That would be incorrect.
RDNA3.5 fixes issues with RDNA3 with respect to it's clock behaviour and power consumption so that it can perform well in mobile applications.
RDNA4 is a completely new architecture.

Loxus

That would be incorrect.
RDNA3.5 fixes issues with RDNA3 with respect to it's clock behaviour and power consumption so that it can perform well in mobile applications.
RDNA4 is a completely new architecture.
Only thing missing is the new schedulers and RT, otherwise it's basically RDNA4.

Well this is according to Kelper, RDNA3.5 may contain the new RT when in releases.

Only thing missing is the new schedulers and RT, otherwise it's basically RDNA4.

Well this is according to Kelper, RDNA3.5 may contain the new RT when in releases.

No, cause the designs for Strix Halo would have been finalised at least a year ago and likely will have been taped out. Any further changes would require at least a 12 month delay again.

Loxus

No, cause the designs for Strix Halo would have been finalised at least a year ago and likely will have been taped out. Any further changes would require at least a 12 month delay again.
Can you provide a source or something?
It's getting tiring being the only one that's doing research around here.

CS Lurker

I suppose that by 16c it actually means 16 threads?

And how are they getting ~500GB/s of BW? Dual 128-bit channel of LPDDR5X-8533 would give 272.8GB/s, and if they went with quad 64-bit channel it would be 545.6GB, so I think they would state that rather than ~500GB/s. A bit confusing for my limited knowledge.

There's a distinct smell of bullshit from those leaks. It can't be both the chip for a steam deck and simultaneously have only 2CUs. Even 2 WGP wouldn't be enough.
Sound like people throwing shit at the wall and see what sticks.

And 100% no chance the deck 2 will have nvidia gpu, the point of the handheld is to be cost effective with and X86 APU. The only company available is AMD by default.

kikkis

I suppose that by 16c it actually means 16 threads?

And how are they getting ~500GB/s of BW? Dual 128-bit channel of LPDDR5X-8533 would give 272.8GB/s, and if they went with quad 64-bit channel it would be 545.6GB, so I think they would state that rather than ~500GB/s. A bit confusing for my limited knowledge.
16 cores and 32 threads afaik.

Loxus

There's a distinct smell of bullshit from those leaks. It can't be both the chip for a steam deck and simultaneously have only 2CUs. Even 2 WGP wouldn't be enough.
Sound like people throwing shit at the wall and see what sticks.

And 100% no chance the deck 2 will have nvidia gpu, the point of the handheld is to be cost effective with and X86 APU. The only company available is AMD by default.
I made sure to use the words "probably", "rumor" and "speculation" but you guys still take it as a concrete leak?

I would assume the 2CU is the speculated part, since all the rest are in AMD source code, etc.

Xyphie

So what do we realistically think this is used for?

Strix Halo - slim-and-light gaming laptops (<1.5-2 kg), look at ASUS Zephyrus G14 for the kind of form factor this will go into.
Strix Point/Kraken Point - Every other kind of laptop/handheld.
Sonoma Valley - <$400 laptops, Chromebooks etc. Dirty cheap entry-level stuff basically.

DaGwaphics

It will be interesting to see what the real-world gaming performance is on this thing. I assume the prices will need to be on the high side for these things.

Top Bottom