• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'American Gods' Star Ian McShane Joins David Harbour in 'Hellboy' Reboot

Link.

Ian McShane, currently starring on Starz’s American Gods, is joining David Harbour in Lionsgate and Millennium’s Hellboy reboot.

Harbour is toplining as the demonic hero from the Mike Mignola comic books in a new feature, titled Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen, that Neil Marshall, the horror director who broke out with The Descent and won raves for his work on Game of Thrones, is on board to helm.

The new story sees the hero squaring off against a medieval sorceress who seeks to destroy humankind.

McShane will play Hellboy’s adoptive father, Professor Broom.

The project is eyeing a September start and will shoot in the U.K. and Bulgaria.

Larry Gordon and Lloyd Levin are producing along with Mike Richardson of Dark Horse Entertainment.

McShane, who won a Golden Globe for his starring role on HBO's Deadwood, has also been winning praise for his work on American Gods, in which he plays Mr. Wednesday, an enigmatic god from the Norse myths. He also has been a steady presence in the John Wick movies, where he plays the steely-eyed owner of the boutique hotel that caters to assassins.

The Hellboy casting keeps the actor in the Lionsgate family as the studio is also behind the Wick franchise and owns Starz, the maker of American Gods.

Hurt played the role in the old movies.

Razmos

I wonder if The Shape of Water will be a prequel to the originals or to the reboot. I imagine the original since Del Toro doesn't look involved in this one?

Dynomutt

Wotan goes to Hell.

I wonder if The Shape of Water will be a prequel to the originals or to the reboot. I imagine the original since Del Toro doesn't look involved in this one?

The original if anything but even then I think only in spirit. I would be surprised if they even clue it in. The Shape of Water seems to be even more than just Abe Sapien but about interacting with the unknown.

Rymuth

Fucking called it when I saw his name. Although John Hurt brought such warmth to the role, I can't wait to see Mcshane's take

Dascu

Looking forward to this.

Discotheque said:
it has nothing to do with Hellboy and that monster looks a bit more like the creature from the black lagoon than he does Abe Sapien. though the comparison is understandable (same director, Abe himself looks derived from that monster design too)
The movie's synopsis sounds a bit like Abe Sapien's background story though.

it has nothing to do with Hellboy and that monster looks a bit more like the creature from the black lagoon than he does Abe Sapien. though the comparison is understandable (same director, Abe himself looks derived from that monster design too)

Why reboot something that is already fantastic?

it wasn't. Del Toro got the designs really well but honestly it felt like he sacrificed the gothic and horror elements of the series and went too goofy and family friendly with his stuff.

Marshall will prolly aim for something more horror-oriented I hope.

fauxtrot

Banned
Why reboot something that is already fantastic?

A Hellboy reboot has a ton of potential to be a great movie series that stays closer to the style & themes of the comic than the del Toro films (which I still enjoy but will also admit weren't very similar to the source material).

Turin

Banned
it wasn't. Del Toro got the designs really well but honestly it felt like he sacrificed the gothic and horror elements of the series and went too goofy and family friendly with his stuff.

Not familiar with the source material but the Hellboy movies(and Blade 2) always gave the impression that Del Toro could make a pretty good Devil May Cry movie. It'll never happen but it's fun to think about.

fauxtrot

Banned
Can we get Ron Perlman as Roger the Homunculus in a sequel please? And Guy Davis on monster design?

/unrealisticfanboywishes

Yeah I gotta agree, I enjoyed the filmmaking on display in the 2 hellboy movies but they never fully delivered on the concept. Here's hoping this can get it right.

Cheebo

Banned

It is without question NOT a prequel to Hellboy. This has already been debunked. The studio that owns the Hellboy franchise is a completely different one than the one doing The Shape of Water.

It's like thinking a Disney movie is a prequel to Batman Begins while WB is off making the DCEU films.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
You mean Lovejoy star

htd7UDr.png

A Hellboy reboot has a ton of potential to be a great movie series that stays closer to the style & themes of the comic than the del Toro films (which I still enjoy but will also admit weren't very similar to the source material).

This is how I feel about it, too. I love the films and Ron Perlman as Hellboy, but they were definitely missing something from the comics. Hopefully they can get the vibe right with this movie.

Also, lol at Game of Thrones actor. What the fuck. Glad to see him attached to this, though. Great casting so far.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Fuck yeah, McShane.

I'm down for a reboot that steers closer to the style of the comics.

UrbanRats

And made two fantastic movies out of it.

And now Marshall is going to make an even better one, what's your point? Hellboy isn't DelToro's property anyway, why should he have exclusive rights to it?
And the two Hellboy movies certainly aren't immortal Cinema masterpieces you don't want to be compared to, they're alright action fantasy movies.

yeah

I'm very much looking forward to this.

Decado

Loving the choices made so far. Do we know who the writer is? That is the other big piece of the picture for me...

Top Bottom