• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Story: Freak Show |OT| Let your inhibitions go, it's a crazy night...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Asylum > Coven.A > Murder House > Coven.B

Coven started out fairly well, I think, with a few series best level episodes, before totally falling apart and turning into absolute shit. It's biggest crime (of which there were many) was that it was bland and dull - two things American Horror Story should never be. Incoherent, inconsistent, poorly written, poorly acted, silly, disjointed, too many characters - I can get past all of those things if it's entertaining. Coven, for most of its run, was not.

Can't possibly be worse than Coven, can it?

Nope.

Nemesis_

twistyuce1z.jpg

Wait, you're telling me this guy is the villain?

That is nobody in particular. Twisty The Clown is allgedly going to be a major villain throughout the series this time around, so I thought it would be remiss to not include him int he cast line up.

erm spoilers so
a villain for the two part halloween thing

No, that's Wes Bentley. He played Edward Mordrake.

rude

Banned
I hope this season manages to combine the funniness of Coven with the tighter, more developed characters/plot of Asylum.

antonz

Coven started out fairly well, I think, with a few series best level episodes, before totally falling apart and turning into absolute shit. It's biggest crime (of which there were many) was that it was bland and dull - two things American Horror Story should never be. Incoherent, inconsistent, poorly written, poorly acted, silly, disjointed, too many characters - I can get past all of those things if it's entertaining. Coven, for most of its run, was not.

Nope.

Have to agree. Coven started with potential then they just squandered it. Asylum could have handled the outer space stuff better but overall was solid from start to finish. Cromwell as the doctor was a great character. Loved the duality to his character. He had no qualms about being evil but was still obsessed with innocence of the Nun

Velcro Fly

i have pretty much zero expectation so i don't think i'll be disappointed.

not looking forward to this one as much

Also Asylum is easily the worst season. Too many plot lines and almost none of them had a satisfactory conclusion. I can't believe how well liked it is.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
season 3 ended up being awful, but they PULLED ME BACK IN with my favorite theme ever, carnivals / freak shows. God damn it Ryan Murphy you bastard. So excited for this, please me good

and I had no iea Vic Mackey himself was in this :eek:

Also Asylum is easily the worst season. Too many plot lines and almost none of them had a satisfactory conclusion. I can't believe how well liked it is.

Season 2 was camp fun with conclusions that mostly made sense. Season 3 had too many characters, most of which were terrible, and the couple of decent ones had suffered deaths that made no sense. However that wasn't surprising at all given the writing throughout the series was terribly inconsistent; character motivations, intelligence, and powers seemingly changed on a whim. I actually defended it up to the halfway point but it became utterly abysmal after that.

Still haven't gotten around to watching Coven, but I really enjoyed Murder House and Asylum, so I'm in. Maybe I'll save Coven for after Freak Show.

Looking forward to seeing Kathy Bates. Haven't seen her in anything good for a while.

Taissa Farmiga is so boring that I didn't realize until recently that she's the girl dancing next to Emma Watson in "The Bling Ring" GIF:

iblIFG6l7XS9wH.gif
lol, as if anyone would be looking at anything other than Emma Watson in that gif.

MarkusRJR

After that latter half of Coven, I kind of lost interest in the show. I'll probably watch the first few episodes (since I was obsessed with the first half of Coven), but I'm not expecting much.

I reviewed the BR of the first season and loved it, but only caught a few episodes of Asylum because I don't have FX and can't get it. I've also yet to see any of Coven, though previews made it look a bit silly.

I really need to catch up, because this has the potential to be awesome.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~

Mononoke

Banned
i have pretty much zero expectation so i don't think i'll be disappointed.

not looking forward to this one as much

I can agree it had too many plot points. But Asylum actually had good pay off and follow through. I think it's easily the best season. I don't know how anyone could like Coven more. *shrugs*

demolitio

I can agree it had too many plot points. But Asylum actually had good pay off and follow through. I think it's easily the best season. I don't know how anyone could like Coven more. *shrugs*

Asylum was far better than Coven in my opinion as well. Coven made me lose a lot of interest in the series and I'm not too hyped for Freak Show so let's hope it's a pleasant surprise.

Having Mama Boucher back for another season is a good start at least. :D

Asylum is one of the best damn tv-shows i've had the pleasure to watch, the last episodes are soo god damn good. Couldnt handle Coven, i dropped it after 3 episodes. So pumped for this, especially how it might have ties to Asylum.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I hope Skelebat is actually in this one and gets a cool arc.

Nemesis_

does anyone know if zachery quinto is back? I want him back sooo bad :(

I'm actually surprised neither James Cromwell nor Zachary Quinto are returning this season. From what I understand Quinto especially got on really well with the team and Cromwell wanted to return to Coven but they didn't have a role for him since it was so female centric - so he signed on for a pilot of a show that's since been cancelled.

Nemesis_

AHS Fans, you are also getting a big preview, the main title and TWO cast documentaries this week. Happy October!

Looks like they're really opening the gates for the pre-release media now. :p

inm8num2

Looking forward to this. Didn't enjoy Coven very much, but Freak Show should provide for some fun and grotesque stuff.

Amir0x

Banned
I really didn't like the first series, is it worth watching 2 or 3? The first was just so silly so often I couldn't take it remotely seriously. I thought it was a comedy or some shit by the end.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
I remember them filming this like a block away from the restaurant I work at. We got little letters/notice flyers saying what they were doing. Was cool.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Asylum had great character arcs for pretty much every character.
Plus Jessica Lange wasn't a bitch the entire time and became a sympathetic character.

My friends hated Asylum. I don't know why. I always fight them on it. I haven't finished Coven yet. Not really feeling inclined to, because it just doesn't have the grab like Asylum did. I actually gave a shit about the people in asylum. I wanted to see what happened. And the ending was nice.

Yager

Banned
My friends hated Asylum. I don't know why. I always fight them on it. I haven't finished Coven yet. Not really feeling inclined to, because it just doesn't have the grab like Asylum did. I actually gave a shit about the people in asylum. I wanted to see what happened. And the ending was nice.

You need to buy some new friends.

I really didn't like the first series, is it worth watching 2 or 3? The first was just so silly so often I couldn't take it remotely seriously. I thought it was a comedy or some shit by the end.

It probably isn't your bag. Season 2 is much better, but I can't imagine liking it if you didn't like the first one.

When the fuck is S3 going up on Netflix?

S2 didn't go up until S3 had already started airing.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Give the second season a shot. It's significantly better than the first season.

Skip season 3 though. It's dogshit.

It probably isn't your bag. Season 2 is much better, but I can't imagine liking it if you didn't like the first one.

A ton of people here thought the first season was awful but ended up enjoying season 2.

Give the second season a shot. It's significantly better than the first season.

Skip season 3 though. It's dogshit.

A ton of people here thought the first season was awful but ended up enjoying season 2.

I stand corrected. I just found that it was definitely the same kind of show from 1 to 2, so it seems weird to me that someone could like one and not the other, but I'll also throw in that 2 was better.

Bloodrage

Banned

Nope.
Nope.

Asylum >>>>>>>>>> Murder House >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Coven

Here's hoping Freak Show is a lot darker and consistent than the laughably bad Coven.

At least Misty was a cute character though. Best if we all just pretend Coven never happened.

Can't possibly be worse than Coven, can it?

I loved seasons one and two but Coven burned me so bad that I can't imagine getting back into it. I'll give Freakshow a chance, but my expectations are rock-bottom. I'll give it 3 episodes tops - if it doesn't hook me in that time I'll move on. Not gonna spend half a season waiting for it to get good like I did with Coven.

eh i guess i'll try out Asylum then, i can always stop if it gets as silly as the first season :p

Oh It gets super silly, but it's more in a fun way than Murder House. The problem with Aslyum is it spread itself thin with way to many plot lines and story arcs, which leaves the quality of the arcs all over the place. Some are really good and well developed while others are just garbage that feel forced in.

edit: It's difficult for me to get into specifics without ruining much if you haven't seen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom