• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Story: Freak Show |OT| Let your inhibitions go, it's a crazy night...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
3sA2UuM.png

Hallie | Played by dog. A clown dog who is shamed by her family for being a clown. Peppered with a tragic past, she joins the freakshow with the hopes of becoming a star.

Cast photo:

1iSAkCS.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
^ lmfao

Well I'll check it out, i'm gonna start watching a few episodes in a few minutes. if nothing else it'd be decent cuddle on the couch watching

I'm a few episodes into season 2...does Jessica Lange ever play a likable character in this show?

Feeling the same way about Asylum so far that I did about Murder House. I hate every character. This show is a convoluted soap opera. I just want to root for someone. PLEASE

I'm a few episodes into season 2...does Jessica Lange ever play a likable character in this show?

Feeling the same way about Asylum so far that I did about Murder House. I hate every character. This show is a convoluted soap opera. I just want to root for someone. PLEASE

I actually liked Chloe Sevigny's character in Asylum, shes only there cause she likes to have sex. It's not like her character hurt anyone.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
trailer doesn't show a whole lot anyway tbh

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
I'm eager to see how everyone reacts to this season. It may be the boldest season yet. Some will love it, some will hate it.

Nemesis_

Asylum definitely seems better than the first so far, except

wtf aliens?

I'm a staunch defender of the use of Aliens in Asylum, since I reckon they fit perfectly into the time period since it was a time where all the invasion fiction was coming into the media.

But at the same time the plot is so thinly developed that they're no doubt going to return to aliens at some point in the future and there's inevitably going to be disappointment since it'll be a retread. =/

I re-watched Murder House this weekend and still really liked it. I apparently had missed an episode or two on my initial watch through, so it was a nice refresher. I still never watched the last episode or two of Asylum. I just stopped caring about it. I think they tried to do too much with that season and it just lost my interest. Looking forward to Freak Show though.

Is Season 3 more drama oriented or something?

A bit. It's less supernatural and more murder mystery\mystery. I really liked Coven. Yea it had a lot of weak points and even a few plot holes but it was a good watch and probably teh season I had the most fun watching.

looks dope, hopefully it goes bak to being as focused as season 1 AHS. also will watch because of Taissa Farmiga, there's something i just like about the girl.

I'm a staunch defender of the use of Aliens in Asylum, since I reckon they fit perfectly into the time period since it was a time where all the invasion fiction was coming into the media.

But at the same time the plot is so thinly developed that they're no doubt going to return to aliens at some point in the future and there's inevitably going to be disappointment since it'll be a retread. =/

I swear, it's like Murphy never fucking learned from Nip/Tuck. The show will introduce interesting story lines and try to develop them, then they bring something out of left field just for shock value and never bring it up again.

That's always been the conundrum I've had with Nip/Tuck and AHS. Both of them have really good moments, it's just that both shows get overly convoluted and stretch themselves too far.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
what kind of self promotion

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Asylum had great character arcs for pretty much every character.
Plus Jessica Lange wasn't a bitch the entire time and became a sympathetic character.

Jessica's character was really well developed in Season 2. Coven just has her switched to whatever the plot required her to be and attributed it to her not really caring about anything except herself anyway. Very badly done. And I think her acting suffered from that.

Matt_

Looks good, I would be interested to see a behind the scenes deal for the process of doing Sarah Paulsons scenes.

There is an interview floating about (would have been posted somewhere in this thread) that details the process they did. iirc it involves a stump and takes a long fucking time

Truant

Season 2 is so amazing. It can go from some of the most riduculous, cheesy, B-movie scenes, to some of the most heartfelt and emotionally overwhelming sequences in the blink of an eye.

Especially the parts where they take care of Jude near the end. I got teary eyed. The part the Mary Eunice regained control of her body for like five seconds was also heartbreaking. What a nightmare it must have been to live like that. For some reason that scene really got to me.

Nemesis_

Looks good, I would be interested to see a behind the scenes deal for the process of doing Sarah Paulsons scenes.

The process to create these twins sounds so intense.

There are so many ways that we’re making this happen that it’s not any one thing. It’s not just a visual effect, it’s not just the other head effect. This is a combination of 9,000 things. The part that’s the most hardest is when we’re doing the visual effects. I think I thought when I was going to do it was I would do all of Bette, in all camera sizes, and then switch over to Dot and vice versa. But what happens is because the effects have to be the same, the camera has to be locked off. Basically, I have to do Bette and Dot within each camera size and so I’m going back and forth with each girl, every time they change the lens and go tighter. So I don’t get like nine takes as one person. I have to go back and forth and back and forth. They have the same hairstyle but they wear different color headbands. So every time we go back and forth, five people descend upon me. We’ve gotten it down to a science—I can practically do it in my sleep. But there’s 9,000 things that happen as we change everything over, not the least of which is what goes on with me internally to play both of them.

Is this the most challenging AHS role you’ve had so far?

It is the most challenging so far. There’s the inherent reality that everyone knows that I do not have two heads. So we’re asking the audience to go with us on this journey. We’re asking everybody that’s a fan of the show, like people who are with the show, so I have anxiety because I just want so much for everything about it to work that people forget that they’re watching something that they know isn’t real and that they buy it and they believe it. I think that’s why these two girls seem like two different creatures. It’s hard to find to find all the color and variation and nuances. It’s hard to play one person with all of those things going on. It’s obviously doubly difficult to do it when you are trying to give shading and characterization to two people. And I have a southern accent also.

The full interview with Sarah is here: http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/09/17/american-horror-story-freak-show-sarah-paulson/

HiiiLife

I was under the impression that Coven was the worst. If anything its probably my favorite. Or tied with my fav (season 1). So far I'd say 1 > 3 >2.

Nemesis_

Excellent intro and promo! I have high hopes for this season now - the tone feels great.

To be fair, look at the Coven introduction and consider how the show turned out. That one had the biggest divide between the intro and the show proper.

Hoping Freak Show isn't the same

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom