• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Story: Freak Show |OT| Let your inhibitions go, it's a crazy night...

Status
Not open for further replies.

inm8num2

To be fair, look at the Coven introduction and consider how the show turned out. That one had the biggest divide between the intro and the show proper.

Hoping Freak Show isn't the same

My hopes mainly derived from the promo rather than the intro. I mean, I was looking forward to Freak Show already, but the promo showed some promise that elevated my anticipation.

Coven was just too sterile and boring, both in terms of visuals and characters/plotting. The promo for Freak Show suggests a fresh 180 from last season. I think we're in for a fun ride!

yodandy

That looked awful. It felt like everything was in fast motion or something.

Yup, here are my reactions:
-They have the worlds smallest person in the cast! (Jyoti Amge)
-Pepper from season 2 is back! (http://i.imgur.com/keJHSmk.jpg)
-The "Dont...call us freaks!" line was terribly delivered by Tate...made me lol
-Killer clown at the end was a nice touch, i'm guessing that will be the only really scary thing this season. I hope not.

Overall it doesn't look very scary, more of an interesting story, if they just filmed a pile of steaming dog shit for 12 episodes it would be better than last season, so let's see how it goes! Cautiously optimistic.

Overall it doesn't look very scary, more of an interesting story, if they just filmed a pile of steaming dog shit for 12 episodes it would be better than last season, so let's see how it goes! Cautiously optimistic.

Almost everyone working on the show keep saying this season is scary.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Beautiful intro.

Not... really. IMO.

Coven's was amazing and hot fire. It's really too bad the storyline went the way it did for that. In fact, if they explored "Limbo/Hell" a lot more than the two scenes they did like with Lily Rabe's "torture" of having to dissect a frog and Papa Legba's hand in all that, it'd of probably been better than the internal witch fighting.

yodandy

Almost everyone working on the show keep saying this season is scary.

Really? Source?

All I've heard is that it will be darker than Coven (not hard to do) but not as scary/dark/horror-ish as Asylum was.

FX CEO John Landgraf attended the TCAs this week and said fans of the show can expect a darker Season 4 than what they saw with "American Horror Story: Coven." “Some years it’s going to be big and bright and brash and campy the way 'Coven' is," Landgraf said. "Other years it’s going to be dark and brooding -- like 'Asylum' was. I guess I would put 'Freak Show' half-way in between the two. It’s got a little bit more humor and a little bit more camp, but its got a brooding period feel to it also."

Link

Nemesis_

The premiere was last night and a few reviews are starting to pop up.

Slant
The series switches gears into full-bore slasher fare whenever the ghoulie is on screen, and while a homicidal clown in a season about carnies is pretty low-hanging fruit, Twisty is the stuff of pure, distilled nightmares, every terrifying clown fantasy anyone has ever had all wrapped up into one hulking villain. Every second he's on screen is frightening in a way the series hasn't been since Murder House's Rubber Man.

And yet, all of Twisty's horrors are rather predictable compared to where Freak Show appears headed: The barely concealed revilement simmering to the surface in the residents of Jupiter, seeking a scapegoat for their fears, promises a brutal battle between society and its outcasts, exemplified by a shot at the end of the second episode of a gang of "normal" criminals closing in on one terrified freak. This social commentary paired with high camp and straight horror makes for a bundle of threads as twisted as the freak-show performers themselves. But, then, every great carnival has a tightrope act.

Forbes
If one were to hold Freak Show against a past tale in the AHS canon, the most apt comparison would be with that of American Horror Story: Asylum. Like the show’s second season, a majority of Freak Show’s focus is on scares rather than story. However, unlike Asylum which sometimes got lost in its own atmosphere, Freak Show never wavers sight from television’s most important rule: character always comes first.

American Horror Story: Freak Show will satisfy any returning fans who’ve stuck with the anthology drama since 2011. However, for anyone who’s felt the show’s lacked in the “horror” angle, this season they’ll find themselves most satisfied with what Ryan Murphy and co. have to offer. But while the horror is played up, fans of good story will not be left in the cold, and that’s what makes American Horror Story: Freak Show quite possibly the best season yet.

CinemaBlend
Come one, come all. You'll find everything here. Intentionally anachronistic pop song performances with a full carnival band? Check. Someone biting the head off of a chicken? Check. The smallest woman in the world? Check. Frances Conroy as an overbearing mother whose son Dandy (Finn Wittrock) is a whiny brat who escapes boredom and his mother’s clutches by finding a dangerous new path in life? Check. I fully expect and prematurely embrace the point at which American Horror Story: Freak Show flies off of the Ferris wheel rails, but this is a solid foundation upon which the show’s writers and directors can build a multi-level madhouse, with an impeccable cast acting it all out. And we don’t even have to go to Jupiter, Florida for admission.

SpoilerTV
When American Horror Story returns on Wednesday there will likely be a divide among the audience: some fans call Coven their favorite season. Like I said, anthology series’ lend themselves to each season garnering a different response from different viewers. What Freak Show does so well, as Horror Story has in the past, is take the best bits of each of its previous incarnations and blend them together. Even more impressive: it stands totally on its own merits. The premiere episode is not as dark as Asylum, as sexy as Murder House or as funny as Coven – it’s entirely its own beast and in the best way possible. The atmosphere created in the first episode is one that won't soon be forgotten by audiences: breathtaking sets, haunting music, dynamic characters and a whole lot of horror.

SFGate possible spoilers
Paulson may wind up competing against herself for a supporting actress Emmy for … well, not exactly the same part, but half of it anyway. As Dot Tattler, Paulson is cold, mean, damaged, and as Bette, she’s open, vulnerable and hopeful. Or is it the other way around? One can’t sing a note; the other has a beautiful singing voice. One inhales a cigarette, the other coughs as she exhales the smoke.

But where is the story, not to mention the trademark “AHS” Grand Guignol humor and the horror? The first two episodes try to fake us into believing there’s more here than meets the eye or ear with a lot of dramatic music, but it isn’t enough to mask the series’ deficiencies. Maybe JoJo the Dog Face Boy is just a sad dude in a mutt mask after all.

Some other things that might interest some of you:

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Ooh all pretty positive which sounds good
Quite excited to see how Paulson handles everything

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Some speculation based on rumours
So if there is a serial killer hunting downt he freaks, I wonder if they'd ever go the route where one of the conjoined twins gets killed. I know it is supposed to be grounded in reality but I wouldnt put it past the show to give one of them a head injury and have a storyline of the other having to deal with the aftermath

Monocle

The premiere was last night and a few reviews are starting to pop up.

<snip>

Some other things that might interest some of you:
I'll take it until the real hunks arrive. I hope they bring back Hot Son of Crazy Christian Mother. I was a great fan of his acting. His hard rippling well-tanned acting.

Nemesis_

For anyone wondering, one of the reviews talks about the "reveal" at the end of the episode. But it's vague and doesn't go into details at all. It's regarding one of the characters and their afflictions.

Elsa is a freak herself, but they didn't say how or why

Some speculation based on rumours
So if there is a serial killer hunting downt he freaks, I wonder if they'd ever go the route where one of the conjoined twins gets killed. I know it is supposed to be grounded in reality but I wouldnt put it past the show to give one of them a head injury and have a storyline of the other having to deal with the aftermath

Sarah Paulson always has horrible things happening to her so I wouldn't be surprised lol

moozoom

Liked season One, loved season Two but Coven really was a mess after a few promising episodes. Even the campiness couldn't save the last part of the season and its nonsense.

Strongmen are sexy so Michael Chiklis in a leotard will be an incentive to watch how this one will turn out. I'm not holding my breath, Ryan Murphy can fuck up the best of the TV shows when he's bored with them.

So, I only really watched Season 2 (looked good as I was flipping channels), is there any reason to go back and watch 1 or 3 before starting this up?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
So, I only really watched Season 2 (looked good as I was flipping channels), is there any reason to go back and watch 1 or 3 before starting this up?
The first 3 seasons have no connections so you can watch 2 if you want. I like 1 for the laughs and 2 for the great atmosphere it had. 3 watch the first 4-5 episodes then bail out.

inm8num2

Almost time! Looking forward to this - I've long been a huge fan of films like Freaks and Carnival of Souls, so I can't wait to pick out all the references to those and other films. Of course, I hope the story and characters are good, too. :)

Please be good. Please be good.

Pretty much where my wife and I are at right now. Last season was such a huge letdown. Excited to see the intro credits sequence tho. If they can top Covens then I'll be a bit more confident going in.

Oh yes, early on I remember hearing that there would be modern segments? Has this been confirmed? Or did they drop that angle? I certainly hope it's a straight period piece. AHS in modern times clearly falls short.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It probably won't be, but I'm still looking forward to it. I've always found anything set in/around a carnival in 1900s US very interesting.

American Horror Story usually has pretty good premieres, so I actually am expecting something good tonight. Now whether it'll be able to maintain that over the course of the season...

Excited to see the intro credits sequence tho. If they can top Covens then I'll be a bit more confident going in.

Same

Oh yes, early on I remember hearing that there would be modern segments? Has this been confirmed? Or did they drop that angle? I certainly hope it's a straight period piece. AHS in modern times clearly falls short.

I don't think they've said one way or another. It wouldn't surprise me though.

Matt_

omg I had convinced myself that this didnt start till sunday I cannot wait if its on tonight

Haxxona

Banned
I just want to see my favourite actress on TV again. Sarah Paulson's acting seriously is top-notch and its exactly that reason which I think motivates both her and the writers to bring the worst shit ever upon her. Because you know she can handle it perfectly!

Velcro Fly

Will be watching but my expectations and excitement are near zero. This show every year is all excitement for a few weeks and then it never lives up to it.

Loving the atmosphere already. Getting some Asylum vibes.

Yea I was just thinking that. It's drawing me in early on compared to Coven's first episode, which seemed quite tame and dull. Lange's character is really intriguing. Even if this doesn't top Asylum, I hope it's better than Coven.

The first 3 seasons have no connections so you can watch 2 if you want. I like 1 for the laughs and 2 for the great atmosphere it had. 3 watch the first 4-5 episodes then bail out.

Yeah, I loved the atmosphere of the few episodes I saw of 2. Shame Coven was so bad. I'm really looking forward to the new season though.

Wow her character is very convincing, technically speaking. Very impressed. I was worried it'd be too jarring. Not sure I like the dual POV though.

Accents can go? They are part of the character. You'll get used to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom