• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Story: Hotel |OT| Uh oh! There was a monster in my bed!

I can't watch things out of order, no matter how much it pains me. I hope you're wrong, but after the third season I'm not expecting much :)

I think season 4 is the strongest season so far, and I think that's the popular opinion too. Season 4 is where the show really found its footing.

My ranking goes like this:

4 > 6 > 5 > 7 > 3 > 1 > 2

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I think season 4 is the strongest season so far, and I think that's the popular opinion too. Season 4 is where the show really found its footing.

screaming
this is about rupauls drag race I think

Darksol

I suffered through season 4. It got better in the later half, but had many of the same problems that started in season 2 and were even more abundant in season 3, namely, the sheer amount of story and plot points which are just left completely unresolved or forced together.

After seasons 3 and 4 I can honestly say I'm just watching this show to see what new characters the actors take on. If nothing else, it's entertaining.

Onto season 5!

Edit: Bauhaus in first episode. Already a better season.
Edit 2: Ok, this season is muuuuuucccch better.

Nemesis_

I don't want to create a new thread but the PaleyFest presentation is coming on March 20th. I think we can expect some news on Season 5 given previous years.

JoeNut

i've heard Lady Gaga is already announced as a cast member for the new one, i'm guessing it's a totally different theme going off the precedent set so far

MrV4ltor

i've heard Lady Gaga is already announced as a cast member for the new one, i'm guessing it's a totally different theme going off the precedent set so far

She's not officially announced, but she said herself that she'll return to the show and that her new character will be completely different. Angela Bassett is also returning, maybe even as lead + she'll direct at least 1 episode. She also kind of implied that Sarah Paulson would be back, which isn't really a surprise. Lots of people think that we might be getting a cult themed season. Ryan said that one of his ideas for season 6 was more "rogue" as a counterpart to the opulence of Hotel, so we'll see if he went ahead with that theme on sunday.

MrV4ltor

The awesome actress who was in every season but Hotel - is she ever coming back? By far the best part of every season.

Jessica Lange is kind of retiring from acting. She said that Freakshow would be her last season, but more recently has also said that she would return if Ryan offered her a part that she really liked. It's not impossible, but I think it's pretty unlikely.

Darksol

Jessica Lange is kind of retiring from acting. She said that Freakshow would be her last season, but more recently has also said that she would return if Ryan offered her a part that she really liked. It's not impossible, but I think it's pretty unlikely.

That's depressing. Freakshow sucked :(

I think her work in the second season was phenomenal.

Nemesis_

That's depressing. Freakshow sucked :(

I think her work in the second season was phenomenal.

I feel like a lot of Freak Show sucked because of her. She seemed to request a lot of things and Ryan didn't wanna piss her off (with the hopes to lull her back) so just bent over backwards to make sure she was happy.

Honestly I didn't even miss Jessica Lange in Hotel - I felt like it meant they could focus on all the other characters rather than build a singular narrative around whoever Lange would be playing. That being said, I wouldn't be angry if she returned either. She's great.

MrV4ltor

I feel like a lot of Freak Show sucked because of her. She seemed to request a lot of things and Ryan didn't wanna piss her off (with the hopes to lull her back) so just bent over backwards to make sure she was happy.

Honestly I didn't even miss Jessica Lange in Hotel - I felt like it meant they could focus on all the other characters rather than build a singular narrative around whoever Lange would be playing. That being said, I wouldn't be angry if she returned either. She's great.

I'm here for her returning in a smaller role. I just want someone else, like Angela, Kathy or Sarah, to be the focus of the story.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I'm here for her returning in a smaller role. I just want someone else, like Angela, Kathy or Sarah, to be the focus of the story.

was going to post something similar to this
with all the talent in this show it would be a shame to push them aside just to make it a jessica lange vehicle again

MrV4ltor

was going to post something similar to this
with all the talent in this show it would be a shame to push them aside just to make it a jessica lange vehicle again

Besides, Jessica's starring in another movie alongside Naomi Watts that's probably shooting at roughly the same time as AHS.

.JayZii

Banned
I really wish Ryan Murphy would turn down his style a few notches, and I think every single season could have been amazing. Some good ideas, great actors and interesting mash-ups, but everything after season 1, I think, is overstylized to its own detriment. The execution of the ideas comes across as more and more awkward every season. Part of it is probably the director of photography as well. The teasers for each season are almost always great and well received, as well, which makes me wonder why they don't inject some more of that tone and style into the show itself. Obviously, those are super short, and they are making a full tv series, but the ethos presented in the teasers and the final product is very very different. The last season I watched to completion was Coven, by the way.

A year off between seasons would also do wonders.

With all that said, I still check in for at least a few episodes each season because i really do still want to like it. I may even finish up Hotel at some point. It seemed to offer at least a few interesting visuals, but Freak Show didn't even have that, for me.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Season 6 news:

In traditional fashion, the last night of PaleyFest closed out with American Horror Story. And as far as season six’s theme goes, creator Ryan Murphy said tonight, “The interesting thing about the next season is that we’ve been working on two ideas at once, which we’ve never done.” As such, the AHS creator wasn’t ready to reveal his season six angle to the throngs of fans who showed up tonight. Murphy did tease that the creative team has always been influenced by “the opera”. He also said, especially after Hotel dealt with moppet vampires, that horror “often deals with the innocence of children, and their wide-eyed way into it. Both (season six) ideas we’re working with have elements of children.”

One thing Murphy did make certain was the eight AHS: Hotel castmembers on stage tonight –Kathy Bates, Denis O’Hare, Angela Bassett, Sarah Paulson, Finn Wittrock, Wes Bentley, Cheyenne Jackson and Matt Bomer– will return next season.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Season 6 news:

and Matt Bomer– will return next season.

e6ReVCB.gif

SickBoy

"The interesting thing about the next season is that we’ve been working on two ideas at once, which we’ve never done.”

I was amused by this quote, because I've often wished the show wouldn't be so prone to multiple threads within a single season...

Monocle

Here for Matt Bomer, unf.
And to a lesser extent, Finn Wittrock.

Love the whole cast though. Especially Angela Bassett.

Hopefully Denis O'Hare will get his "sorry for not awarding you the Emmy you clearly deserved last season" Emmy for Season 6. If Kathy Bates can nab one for a season where she wasn't even the MVP, Denis should be recognized for creating one of the most compelling characters in the series' entire history.

Monocle

Season 6 premieres this Wednesday. It's crazy that we still don't know what the title or theme is yet.
Yeah what's the deal with that anyway? I just saw two teasers at a local theater (which probably freaked the hell out of the mostly older audience—the scenes showed tarantulas crawling out of a woman's mouth and eyes) and I was like "Oh yeah, this is happening this month."

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Yeah what's the deal with that anyway? I just saw two teasers at a local theater (which probably freaked the hell out of the mostly older audience—the scenes showed tarantulas crawling out of a woman's mouth and eyes) and I was like "Oh yeah, this is happening this month."

I think it's actually pretty cool. It's hard to get people excited about a show that's 6 years old, but I think they've succeeded - at least for me. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the setting is.

Pluto

It premieres this wednesday? I had no idea. This is so exciting, I rarely know nothing about a new season of any series.

Matt_

this wednesday?
How!?
i know virtually nothing about it other than gaga is in it again

This Wednesday? Wow. I can't believe we know nothing.

(Other than that it's going to be another melodramatic piece of shit.) - But I hope I'm dead wrong here. PLEASE be good.

Gotta' be a troll, lol

1>>>>>2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>5>>4 (Haven't seen 3)

yodandy

Just realized this premieres Wednesday, I've heard the theme is most likely
The Mist?
According to 2 sources, TV guide even printed it with that subtitle.

I'm looking forward to going in mostly blind.

Archpath1

That's what I'm thinking
they struggle keeping a whole plot, so they just do mini stories. Like x files or tales from the crypt

Lots of imagery, and spooky teasers

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
What. if.

Season 6 is an episodic anthology like the Twilight Zone where each episode is a self contained story.

:O

That actually sounds awesome. Also helps elevate the problem of having to develop the ever growing cast of actors and stories spinning out of control.

Top Bottom