• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Story: Hotel |OT| Uh oh! There was a monster in my bed!

Nemesis_

ahshotel-bannerioqq2.jpg

ahshotel-theshowayssn.jpg

SEASON PREMIERE:
Wednesday October 7th 10p [only on FX]

American Horror Story is a horror-drama series created and produced by Ryan Murphy (Nip/Tuck) and Brad Falchuk. The series has been referred to as an "anthology" series
as every series features different characters, settings and story lines while utilizing the same actors who may return for different roles. From the beginning, Murphy and Falchuk had
planned for the series to be a different story each season - allowing for actors to sign on without having to commit to multiple year runs and allowing the show to remain fresh and
varied. As such, each story is conceived and penned at the beginning of the production cycle from beginning to end.

Hotel is the fifth season of American Horror Story. The season follows the escapades of John Lowe, a detective investigating a series of brutal murders in Los Angeles. Through
events unknown, he receives a tip pointing him to the enigmatic art-deco inspired Hotel Cortez, located downtown. Hotel Cortez isn't all that it seems, run by a strange woman
known throughout the area as "The Countess" and inhabited by all kinds of strange beings.

The creators of the show claim that Hotel will be more horror-based than previous seasons - with a darker, grislier and grittier tone than ever explored before in American Horror Story.
When asked to compare this season to previous ones - Ryan Murphy has stated that it shares it's "primal" design of fear with the first season, Murder House.

The season will feel more "trapped" akin to Murder House and Asylum - where actions will be largely revolving around the hotel with little occurring outside. The writers are aiming to
create a "noir-like ambience" for the entirety of Hotel.

The stories concerning previous series are not necessarily connected to Hotel, but there will be some ties to previous seasons - specifically Murder House. You'll be able to expect
some characters from previous series checking into the hotel from time to time.

You do not need to watch any previous seasons of American Horror Story to understand this one - each season of American Horror Story is independent of one another​

REGARDING SPOILERS:
  • Spoilers regarding episodes not yet aired are to be spoiler tagged.
  • Discussions about episodes that have aired are not to be spoiler tagged.
  • Not only does this prevent the thread from looking like a giant black wall, but it allows members to pick out real spoilers from plot points about episodes they've already seen.

ahshotel-guestshtsbe.jpg

NOTE: All details contained herein are what's been released in promotional materials officially.

ahs-countess4rz7t.jpg
hotel-sallyi6xwx.jpg
hotel-iris7hy1p.jpg
hotel-donovany4boz.jpg

ELIZABETH | Played by Lady Gaga. A wealthy doyenne and the owner of the Hotel Cortez. Those close to her describe her as glamorous but deadly.
HYPODERMIC SALLY | Played by Sarah Paulson. A relentless drug addict who lives within the Hotel. She is considered to be a rival to Iris.
IRIS | Played by Kathy Bates. A crossword aficionado who manages the Hotel. She hates Sally. Her son, Donovan, also lives in the hotel.
DONOVAN | Played by Matt Bomer. Son of Iris and Elizabeth's lover. He shares an affliction with Elizabeth.​
hotel-lowek9az7.jpg
hotel-drakeg4xwv.jpg
hotel-umbvlqq.jpg
hotel_tristanobbbm.jpg

JOHN LOWE | Played by Wes Bentley. A detective investigating a string of murders that leads him to Hotel Cortez.
WILL DRAKE | Played by Cheyenne Jackson. A fashion brand mogul who stays at the unique Hotel Cortez for inspiration for his next line.
GABRIEL | Played by Max Greenfield. A Hollywood junkie who checks into the hotel and eventually gets entangled with Sally.
TRISTAN DUFFY | Played by Finn Wittrock. A male model who checks into the hotel with an addictive personality and hypersexual temperament​
hotel-liztaylory7z5o.jpg
hotel-lowems8nb6o.jpg
hotel-ramonatixy4.jpg
hotel-march45y2j.jpg

LIZ TAYLOR | Played by Denis O'Hare. A bartender working in the Blue Parrot Lounge of the hotel. Obsessed with Elizabeth Taylor.
ALEX LOWE | Played by Chloe Sevigny. A doctor and wife to John Lowe, she and her husband are dealing with a major loss when they check in to Cortez.
RAMONA ROYALE | Played by Angela Bassett. A prominent Hollywood actress who has ties to some inhabitants of the hotel. She is seeking revenge of some sort.
JAMES MARCH | Played by Evan Peters. Builder and owner of the Hotel Cortez in the early 1930s.​
This season will also feature appearances by the following guest stars in some capacity:
  • Emma Roberts
  • Lily Rabe
  • Naomi Campbell
  • Mare Winningham
  • Darren Criss
  • Madchen Amick
  • Christine Estabrook
ahshotel-episodesfjsc7.jpg

1. Checking In (Oct 7th)
Detective and family man John Lowe investigates a chain of gruesome murders in Los Angeles. A mysterious tip points him to the enigmatic Hotel Cortez.
2. Chutes & Ladders (Oct 14th)
Fashion mogul Will Drake brings couture to the Hotel Cortez. A model catches The Countess's eye. John learns about the hotel's sadistic first owner.
3. Mommy (Oct 21st)
Alex is pushed to her breaking point after Scarlett stirs up memories of Holden. Donovan is targeted by a dangerous rival of The Countess.
4. Devil's Night (Oct 28) [Halloween Special]

ahshotel-mediat2sz9.jpg

TRAILERS

ANIMATED GIFS
A staple of NeoGAF culture, enjoy a large selection of over 200 animated GIFs from all three seasons of American Horror Story.
More will be added as each episode of Coven airs, so be sure to make some requests if you want more!

Simply click any of the corresponding images above to be taken to that folder. Most are labelled, so CTRL+F should get you what you need​
ahshotel-catchuplmsht.jpg

One of the greatest things about American Horror Story (and since adapted by series like True Detective, American Crime, Fargo and Scream Queens) is that each season is self contained.
The actors are the same, sometimes, but the characters and stories change every year.

These are the other seasons that are available for American Horror Story. You can watch them now, if you like. You can watch them later. It really doesn't matter!

A8ESXHa.jpg

[ Origina OT | DVD | BRD ]

Murder House is the first season of American Horror Story. Taking place in 2011, it is centered around themes of infidelity. It follows the Harmon family (Ben, Vivien and daughter Violet), who move from Boston to Los Angeles following Vivien's stillbirth.
Eventually purchasing a house for a price much cheaper than it's worth, the family unknowingly moves into a haunted house with a storied past dating all the way back to the 20s. Ben and Vivien are trying to
rekindle their relationship, Violet develops depression and finds solace in one of Ben's psychiatric patients, Tate Langdon, whom Ben sees in his house due to the family financial troubles.

Moira, a maid, services the house on a regular occasion but also harbours a secret and is connected to the house more than you would imagine. Constance, the Harmon's creepy neighbour, constantly visits the
house offering up tidbits of advice to the family, though there is more to her than meets the eye. To make matters worse, Larry, a disfigured man, continues to stalk Ben and warns him of the dangers of that house,
and what it does to people.

• Dylan McDermott plays Dr. Ben Harmon - a psychiatrist married to Vivien Harmon and father of Violet Harmon.
  • Connie Britton plays Vivien Harmon - A cellist who had a stillbirth which subsequently made her withdraw from her husband.
  • Taissa Farmigia plays Violet Harmon - The only child in the Harmon family and a social outcast. She self-harms regularly.
  • Jessica Lange plays Constance - Next door neighbour and former resident of the house the Harmons move into, she moved to Los Angeles to become a star while young, but that never took off.
  • Evan Peters plays Tate Langdon - A troubled youth who Ben treats as a patient, he takes a liking to Violet and has a storied past.
  • Denis O'Hare plays Larry Harvey - A former owner of the house the Harmons have bought, and incredibly disfigured. Imprisoned for killing his family, he claims he was let out as he has a terminal illness.
  • Frances Conroy plays Moira - A maid who has serviced the house for all the families who inhabit it, she has a few tricks up her sleeves and is incredibly protective of the families she works for.
Murder House features guest appearances from Kate Mara, Lily Rabe, Matt Ross, Jamie Brewer, Zachary Quinto and Mena Suvari.

Jessica Lange's performance as Constance one her both the Emmy and Golden Globe for Supporting Actress amidst it's numerous nominations.​

NE6myqc.jpg

[ Original OT | DVD | BRD ]

Asylum follows the patients, doctors and nuns who occupy the Briarcliff Mental Institution in 1964 but is intercut with scenes from the present day. Sister Jude and Sister Mary Eunice maintain the institution that was built and founded by Monsignor Timothy Howard to treat and house the criminally insane. Psychiatrist Dr. Oliver Thredson and scientist Dr. Arthur Arden are both medical staff who treat the patients within the facility. The patients, many of whom claim to be unjustly instituionalised, are a dynamic and eclectic bunch. Lana Winters was thrown into Briarcliff for being a lesbian when Sister Jude finds out she is investigating the institution. Kit Walker has been accused of murdering his wife and several other women - essentially accused of being mythological killer "Bloody Face". Grace Bertrand is a french woman alleged to have cut up her entire family in a fit of rage one night.

• Jessica Lange plays Sister Jude - a sadistic nun in charge of administration and discipline at Briarcliff.
  • Lily Rabe plays Sister Mary Eunice - Sister Jude's right hand, Sister Eunice is appears "dense" but there is more to her than meets the eye.
  • James Cromwell plays Dr. Arthur Arden - A scientist with rumoured ties to Nazi germany, Arden is alleged to have created many diabolical experiments in Briarcliff's basements.
  • Sarah Paulson plays Lana Winters - An unjustly imprisoned lesbian journalist who will stop at nothing to expose the secrets of Briarcliff.
  • Evan Peters plays Kit Walker - A greaser accused of murdering his wife and constantly punished by Jude. He claims something "not human" was responsible for his wife's death.
  • Zachary Quinto plays Dr. Oliver Thredson - A psychiatrist at Briarcliff whose forward-thinking methods of practice constantly clash with Sister Jude's management style.
  • Lizzie Brocheré plays Grace Bertrand - A quiet and observant patient at Briarcliff with secrets of her own, she takes an interest in Kit and they become close friends.
  • Joseph Fiennes plays Monsignor Timothy Howard - Ranking over Sister Jude in authority, the monsignor is alleged to be rather nefarious
Asylum features guest appearances from Fredric Lehne, Chloe Sevigny, Clea Duvall, Dylan McDermott, Frances Conroy, Adam Levine, Mark Conseulos, Mark Margolis, Ian McShane and Franka Potente.

Lange, Cromwell, Quinto and Paulson were all nominated for Emmys for their roles as Jude, Arthur, Thredson and Winters respectively. However, only James Cromwell took home the best supporting actor award. Asylum has been well regarded and well nominated

covenk5ynp.png

[ Original OT | DVD | BRD ]

Coven follows the antics and events of a coven of Salem descendents whom reside within a boarding school centered in New Orleans, Louisiana. The academy is run by Cordelia Foxx, who has always lived in the shadows of her mother, Fiona Goode. Fiona is the "supreme" of the coven, a witch born every generation who embodies countless gifts and is the supposed head of the coven. A young girl, Zoe, is sent to the academy following the discovery of her unique power. She attends the boarding school with former movie star Madison Montgomery, as well as human voodoo doll Queenie and enigmatic clairvoyant Nan. Zoe and Madison vie for the attention of a local frat boy, Kyle.

There are several major conflicts throughout Coven. Fiona wishes to retain her supremacy and must discover who the next supreme is, and murder them. The voodoo priestess, Marie Laveau, is at odds with the witches following the violation of an age old truce. And and immortal racist, Delphine LaLaurie, who mutilated several slaves in the past, is brought back into the fold, with whom she has notable history with Marie Laveau.

• Jessica Lange plays Fiona Goode - The current supreme of the Coven, who has shirked her responsibilities to live a life of luxury.
  • Sarah Paulson plays Cordelia Foxx - Daughter of Fiona, and current headmistress of the boarding school. She is practical, protective and peaceful.
  • Kathy Bates plays Delphine LaLaurie - A Parisian socialite from the 1830s, infamous for torturing and mutilating slaves.
  • Angela Bassett plays Marie Laveau - The high priestess of the Voodoo clan. She is completely unrelenting to anyone who dares to hurt her people.
  • Frances Conroy plays Myrtle Snow - An eccentric witch who heads the Witche's Council. She and Fiona have been rivals for a large majority of their lives.
  • Taissa Farmiga plays Zoe Benson - A young girl who discovers she is a witch and is whisked away to the boarding school.
  • Emma Roberts plays Madison Montgomery - A spoiled Hollywood starlet who can move objects with her mind. She is brash and abrasive, much like Fiona.
  • Lily Rabe plays Misty Day - A witch living in the swamps of Louisiana, she has a unique power that many do not possess. She's a huge fan of Stevie Nicks too.
  • Denis O'Hare plays Spalding - The butler of the academy who has been mute since the 70s. He comes from a long line of servants for the coven, and a strange taste.
  • Evan Peters plays Kyle Spencer - A college student and leader of his fraternity, he lives wit his mother in the slums following Hurricane Katrina
Coven features guest appearances from Gabourey Sidibe, Jamie Brewer, Patti LuPone, Alexander Dreymon, Josh Hamilton, Danny Huston, Lance Reddick, Leslie Jordan, Mare Winningham, Christine Ebersole, Alexandra Breckenridge and Stevie Knicks.

Lange, Paulson, Conroy, Bates and Bassett were all nominated for Emmys for their roles as Fiona, Cordelia, Myrtle, Delphine and Marie respectively. Both Kathy Bates and Jessica Lange took home the best supporting actress and best lead actress awards. Similar to Asylum, Coven has been well regarded and well nominated

freakshow-catchup0ssl7.jpg

[ Original OT | Digital | Physical ]

Freak Show follows Elsa Mars, a German ex-pat who runs one of the last existing Freak Shows in Jupiter, Florida. Threatened by the advent of TV and dwindling relevance, Elsa and her band of "freaks" do whatever they can to remain relevant and ensure that the Freak Show can continue.

Considered social reprobates, there are forces throughout Freak Show that would have the Freaks be dead, mutilated or sold to collectible museums for a profit. This is the brunt of where the conflict in Freak Show comes from. The series spans multiple time periods, including World War II-era where Elsa was most active

• Jessica Lange plays Elsa Mars - A german expatriate, and the manager of one of the last remaining Freak Shows. She is caring and nurturing, but not exploitative.
  • Sarah Paulson plays Bette & Dot Tattler - Conjoined twins who share a body but have polarising personalities, they are scouted by Elsa to bring new life to the Freak Show.
  • Michael Chiklis plays Dell Toledo - A "strongman" of the Freak Show who is on the run from the law.
  • Kathy Bates plays Ethel Darling - A bearded woman who is considered to be Elsa's right hand man. She owes much of her life to Elsa.
  • Finn Wittrock plays Dandy Mott - A budding psychopath who wants to join the Freak Show and is unhappy with his fate.
  • Angela Bassett plays Desiree Dupree - A freak who was born with a third breast. She joins the Freak Show looking for something more.
  • Emma Roberts plays Maggie Esmerelda - A travelling con artist who eventually falls for one of the Freaks.
  • Denis O'Hare plays Stanley - A travelling con artist who manipulates Maggie to do his own bidding in the Freak Show.
  • Evan Peters plays Jimmy Darling - A man born with ectrodactyly who does his best to protect the Freak Show.
Freak Show features guest appearances from Gabourey Sidibe, Celia Weston, Wes Bentley, Danny Huston, Neil Patrick Harris, Matt Bomer, Lily Rabe, John Carroll Lynch, Grace Gummer and more.

Jessica Lange, Sarah Paulson, Kathy Bates, Denis O'Hare, Angela Bassett and Finn Wittrock were all nominated for their performances in Freak Show, however ultimately walked away with no awards.

Similar to previous instalments in the series, Freak Show has been well regarded and well nominated

I promised myself I wouldn't get suckered in, but that's a damn fine OT.

I'll keep an eye on the thread and see how the season progresses before jumping in.

spuckthew

Gonna at least give it a few episodes. I watched most of Freak Show without feeling engaged like I did with previous seasons, and actually never saw the final couple.

I think the setting that can help get the show back on track. (In hindsight I don't think a circus was a very good idea, but a haunted hotel or whatever has potential.)

Partition

Banned
Gonna at least give it a few episodes. I watched most of Freak Show without feeling engaged like I did with previous seasons, and actually never saw the final couple.

I think the setting that can help get the show back on track. (In hindsight I don't think a circus was a very good idea, but a haunted hotel or whatever has potential.)

Just reading the character descriptions alone, I feel like for the 3rd time in a row they are going for the CAMPY AS POSSIBLE AND NOT SCARY AT ALL route, and I really doubt I will be proven otherwise.

Nemesis_

Gaga or not I have a feeling this season will be better than the last two. The series seems to do better when it confines it's setting to a single spot and that seems to be what Hotel was doing.

I did enjoy Freak Show, for what it's worth, but it's ending fell really flat.

Just reading the character descriptions alone, I feel like for the 3rd time in a row they are going for the CAMPY AS POSSIBLE AND NOT SCARY AT ALL route, and I really doubt I will be proven otherwise.

Was Freakshow really campy? It was mostly boring tbh.

Dabanton

Second half of Coven was a mess and Freakshow was just plain boring. First two seasons remain superior and actually scary even if they toyed with camp. I still can't believe they blew it with Coven such a great premise, modern witches, that was just plain mishandled.

I'll wait to hear the impressions on 3-4 episodes before I start watching this.

Bladenic

Coven was an abomination and Freak Show was just boring as all fuck and couldn't even be finished, but I feel like I'm getting suckered back in to this shitty show that's all potential, no fulfillment. I hate you Ryan Murphy.

inm8num2

I don't think I'm going to watch this unless reviews are really good after a few episodes. Like others have said, Coven was bad and Freak Show just fizzled out.

Gave up before the last episode of Freak Show and sounds like I made the right move. It's a Ryan Murphy show, so every season is worst than the last. He has really started to indulge himself in casting and storylines so I'm not going to watch unless it gets great reviews.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
People who have nothing to add but props for the amazing OT are the worst. But props for the amazing OT.

Bam

Banned
Awesome thread!

Just binge watched the first two seasons in anticipation of Hotel. They ended up being vastly superior to Freakshow and Coven, so hopefully Hotel really does return AHS to its roots.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Still havent watched Freak Show besides the first episode but at least these are self contained.

They are really pushing the Gaga angle tho

Has any of these seasons ever lived up to the promo material and trailers? They seem more eye-grabbing and creatively surreal than anything from the actual show.

Chinner

Banned
season 1: good but not without its flaws
season 2: best series so far
season 3: shit tier, couldn't get past a couple of episodes
season 4: boring, predictable - shit tier.

im very suspect to this show, seems like a one trick pony without anymore tricks and the tricks it can do are shit.

might watch bates hotel, seems non-offensive.

Eh, I might watch the first episode since it's the best of the season and the show, particularly the last 2 seasons, usually drops off the cliff by the second episode.
The opening title is fun to watch as well.

Yet another one of my guilty pleasure shows. Here's to bat shit crazy fun that doesn't make me miss Jessica Lange's screen chewing presence!

Nothus

Yeah, I've not really enjoyed any season aside from the first one. Didn't even bother with Freak Show after the first episode.

I'll give this a couple of episodes, see how Gaga gets on.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Loved the first season, made it 3/4 through the second, watched all of Coven and hated it...watched 3 episodes of Freak Show before quitting.

Will wait for impressions but will most likely give it a couple episodes before dropping out.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
outstanding OT as per
very excited for this, love the fact its more contained and not a roaming set
in love with the whole aesthetic too

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~

Hey now Coven's first half was very entertaining
they just completely fucked the premise and turned it into an absolute mess by the end
Freakshow was all around dull, something I think Hotel will definitely avoid

Coven was a failure in every sense save for wall-to-wall camp; I cannot for the life of me tell you what the season was about on any sort of overall narrative or thematic level.

Freak Show was just as much of a mess, except it didn't even have camp going for it.

I sort of like the first season, really liked the second season and had mixed feelings about Coven. Couldn't get pass the first episode of Freak Show, as it really didn't click with me (and it seems like I didn't miss much).

Time to give the show another go!

Hex

Banned
Coven was a failure in every sense save for wall-to-wall camp; I cannot for the life of me tell you what the season was about on any sort of overall narrative or thematic level.

Freak Show was just as much of a mess, except it didn't even have camp going for it.

Coven had some moments, and then the whole Stevie Nicks thing was just stupid.
Freak Show was a complete brain hemorrhage cluster fuck with terrible acting, terrible writing, terrible pacing, and asinine terrible song numbers. It really was just terrible in my opinion.
With some masterful editing you could probably get five good episodes out of the entire season.

Nemesis_

I really wonder how much this is going to jump back and forward. It's weird that the only character from the past that's been revealed is Evan Peters character.

MrV4ltor

I really wonder how much this is going to jump back and forward. It's weird that the only character from the past that's been revealed is Evan Peters character.
Mare Winningham's character is also from the past

Here's a description of the first six minutes of the premiere if anyone's interested. (Spoilers obvioulsly):
The show opens up with some guests entering and checking into the hotel with some eerie music and heavy breathing. The camera then makes its way up the stairs—as if someone is holding the camera or it's first person view—and enters a room. In this room, we see an intense sex scene between Donovan and Elizabeth. The camera then pans through a couple of walls and ends up in Sally's room. The audience begins to understand that this view is from something non-human and is able to pass through walls. Sally is hitting hard drugs with some loud glam rock in the background. Iris knocks furiously on the door but Sally does not hear nor answer. Iris keys the door and finds sally red-lipped and high on "x" drug. Iris threatens Sally to quit doing lines and that her stench is reaching neighboring rooms. Iris refers to her as a "carpet tick". Sally throws piss soaked panties at Iris and laughs. Iris, annoyed, shuts door. Title sequence commences.

From one premiere attendee via popcrush

Corpsepyre

Banned
Has this show gotten any better? I only saw the first season and three episodes of season 2 before calling it quits. Was getting ridiculously bad.

Sobriquet

I got about halfway through Coven and didn't even watch Freakshow. Still might watch.

FWIW a good friend of mine designed that set in the OP.

Astral Dog

They somehow get the setpieces, scenary, decoration but the characters and plot are always a mix of campy, crapiness, inconsistency, boring, and ridicoulness

Kevin

I liked season one and two well enough but the reviews for Coven and Freak Show scared me away. I honestly like their show, Scream Queens better so far and by quite a lot. A lot more fun in my opinion. We'll see how Hotel turns out.

Matt_

Has this show gotten any better? I only saw the first season and three episodes of season 2 before calling it quits. Was getting ridiculously bad.

Always worth giving it a try as the cast, characters and set change

Matt_

Watching some cast interviews from the premier I find it so strange that they're still only half way through filming the season. Surely it must be manic as fuck trying to get everything done, or is this why American shows have mid season breaks?

liquidtmd

Banned
Season 1 solid, Season 2 Fantastic, Season 3 was hmmmm Ok and Freak Show was just plain dull. I honestly couldn't get through more than the first five eps.

Will try Hotel but it's got two episodes to hook me or its being binned

Monocle

Definitely here for this.

Nice OT.

Who cares? The characters were entertaining as hell.

My favorite season, even though 1 and 2 were better story-wise. I have no interest in revisiting anything but Coven, if I rewatch any of this show.

MrV4ltor

Watching some cast interviews from the premier I find it so strange that they're still only half way through filming the season. Surely it must be manic as fuck trying to get everything done, or is this why American shows have mid season breaks?
Most TV shows are shot like this. They only start with 5 or 6 scripts, shoot those and write new ones while that's happening. AHS always shoots till Decemeber, so no need to panick lol

Top Bottom