• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Americans: Dogs are liked more and more popular than cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've owned both and I much prefer dogs. The cats were sweet but they couldn't even try to match the level of affection given by my pups. I understand why they're a better pet for people who don't want to spend as much effort taking care of something, but they'll never hold the same place in my heart.

kirblar

I like cats, but I'd never own one over a dog
The upkeep on dogs is a lot of work. Cats have higher ownership rates because of that.

Cats will definitely bond with you - however, it takes time and they'll pick who they want to bond with (and normally aren't the friendliest to those they haven't bonded with.) It's almost an Extrovert/Introvert thing between the two species.

Arksy

Can someone please please get a dog, put it on an American flag with it crying or something. That would be epic!

TuXx

Dogs make better companions and are one of the only animals that can love you back.

Cats just like to be left alone and do their own thing.

Dogs have literally evolved alongside man for thousands of years and are predisposed to being our companions. They're like horses for the house. They're among the animal species most receptive to human communications (vocal and gestural) and have innate abilities to guess a human's mood. Dogs > cats.

Plus, they're smarter at the high end than all cats (get yoself a border collie) and are far more useful.

sry cats, ur cute tho

Subitai

I can teach a dog to get me a beer out of the cooler. Dog wins.
You can teach cats to use the toliet.

Also, many dogs like having cats around when you're away so that it has something to take orders from and follow around since it is used to you giving it an agenda everyday.

Ideally, you should have at least one of each to cover all of your bases. The only downside being the times when they conspire together against the owner.
dog-shaming-partners-in-crime.png

Subitai

i thought you actually WEREN'T supposed to do this.
Yeah, it isn't good for outdoor cats. There is also the problem of some people putting cats in shelters if the training fails and they don't go back to a litter box.

Depending on the cat, it is doable.

genjiZERO

Don't get me wrong cats are beautiful animals, but they are fucking terrible to have around an ecosystem. They will decimate local native species - bird, reptiles, amphibians and mammals. Consequently, I think it's nearly immoral to even have on as a pet. But they are funny to watch and are pretty.

kick51

Banned
Dogs are a pain. My past few girlfriends have had dogs and they just got in the way constantly. They're the neediest things ever. Can't be gone from the apt for too long because of the dog. Can't spend the night at my place. Dog scratching on the door and whining while you're trying to get it on. Having to stop what you're doing every once in a while to take it outside so it can pee/poop. Then you have to pick up the warm log and dispose of it for the thing. If you take it out for a walk and it doesn't cause trouble, there's still a high chance someone else's untrained dog will fuck with your dog and cause a scene. They constantly demand attention, but are usually too big to cuddle up and sit on your lap. When they try, they pant in your face, which smells and is gross. They also have the whole "protect the owner" thing, so a lot of times they want to get between me and the girl while we're trying to chill and watch a movie or make out or whatever. All of your clothes get dog hair all over them and need to be lint brushed daily. If the dog gets too wound up, you need to tire them out by playing with them. Regardless of training, there's still a chance they'll just derp out and jump in front of a car, so they're highly susceptible to harm, making them an emotional time bomb for their owners.

and i fucking hate loud barking indoors

I didn't dislike them that much until I dated some girls who had dogs. Needless to say, it has become a factor in who I date from now on lol

If you have time to handle all ^^^that on a daily basis, more power to you.

Gimme this shit head any day:

Iz2w2hU.jpg

At least it'll be apathetic enough to not constantly get in the way

Dogs are a pain. My past few girlfriends have had dogs and they just got in the way constantly. They're the neediest things ever. Can't be gone from the apt for too long because of the dog. Can't spend the night at my place. Dog scratching on the door and whining while you're trying to get it on. Having to stop what you're doing every once in a while to take it outside so it can pee/poop. Then you have to pick up the warm log and dispose of it for the thing. If you take it out for a walk and it doesn't cause trouble, there's still a high chance someone else's untrained dog will fuck with your dog and cause a scene. They constantly demand attention, but are usually too big to cuddle up and sit on your lap. When they try, they pant in your face, which smells and is gross. They also have the whole "protect the owner" thing, so a lot of times they want to get between me and the girl while we're trying to chill and watch a movie or make out or whatever. All of your clothes get dog hair all over them and need to be lint brushed daily. If the dog gets too wound up, you need to tire them out by playing with them. Regardless of training, there's still a chance they'll just derp out and jump in front of a car, so they're highly susceptible to harm, making them an emotional time bomb for their owners.

and i fucking hate loud barking indoors

I didn't dislike them that much until I dated some girls who had dogs. Needless to say, it has become a factor in who I date from now on lol

If you have time to handle all ^^^that on a daily basis, more power to you.

Gimme this shit head any day:

Iz2w2hU.jpg

At least it'll be apathetic enough to not constantly get in the way
Sounds like a few bad dogs. Your previous GFs should've trained them better.
This is why I like cats. I want a buddy who hangs out some of the time, not a child who wants constant attention.
Dogs don't need constant attention. As long as you're around, they're fine.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I like dogs, but I pity them. It's hard to look at them without seeing the genetic mutilation that was necessary to turn a wolf into a dog. They accept and bond with human owners so wholeheartedly because that's what their biology tells them do, and most of their predatory instincts are either lost or suppressed, according to the breed.

A cat's relationship with a human is more like a social contract between equals. What a lot of people consider "selfishness" or "arrogance", I see as self respect and individuality. It's very easy to look at a cat and see the hunter it was and is, it's harder to see that in a dog.

I like dogs, but I pity them. It's hard to look at them without seeing the genetic mutilation that was necessary to turn a wolf into a dog. They accept and bond human owners so wholeheartedly because that's what their biology tells them do, and most of their predatory instincts are either lost or suppressed, according to the breed.

A cat's relationship with a human is more like a social contract between equals. What a lot of people consider "selfishness" or "arrogance", I see as self respect and individuality. It's very easy to look at a cat and see the hunter it was and is, it's harder to see that in a dog.

Take your dog hiking and you will see all his senses light up like a Christmas Tree. Unfortunately, people barely even walk their dogs.

I like dogs, but I pity them. It's hard to look at them without seeing the genetic mutilation that was necessary to turn a wolf into a dog. They accept and bond with human owners so wholeheartedly because that's what their biology tells them do, and most of their predatory instincts are either lost or suppressed, according to the breed.

You're not equals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom