• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Americans: Dogs are liked more and more popular than cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't fucking stand cats. Especially male cats who piss on everything.
If you want a small animal to cuddle with, get a small dog. I got two pugs, and they're awesome.
Also Puppies >>> Kittens

well look at you being all tough against a 5 pound animal.

Dogs make better companions and are one of the only animals that can love you back.
Cats just like to be left alone and do their own thing.

incorrect.our cat follows us everywhere and wants to play with us every time we're home. this is what every non-cat owner ever says.

Dogs have literally evolved alongside man for thousands of years and are predisposed to being our companions. They're like horses for the house. They're among the animal species most receptive to human communications (vocal and gestural) and have innate abilities to guess a human's mood. Dogs > cats.

Plus, they're smarter at the high end than all cats (get yoself a border collie) and are far more useful.

sry cats, ur cute tho

wrong again, my girl's cat knows when she's upset and even knows when we argue. hell she even stopped us arguing one time (she got treats afterwards)

I teach my dog to go outside because outside is nature's toilet.

thanks for being one of those dog owners..... the bad kind.

Don't get me wrong cats are beautiful animals, but they are fucking terrible to have around an ecosystem. They will decimate local native species - bird, reptiles, amphibians and mammals. Consequently, I think it's nearly immoral to even have on as a pet. But they are funny to watch and are pretty.

how do you even type shot like this?

Sounds like a few bad dogs. Your previous GFs should've trained them better.

Dogs don't need constant attention. As long as you're around, they're fine.

every time you're around they want your undivided attention. so you get no time for yourself.

You're not equals.

spoken like someone who OWNS a dog as opposed to HAS A Cat.

Cats are known for killing babies while they are asleep irc. They suck the air out of their lungs.

and pitbulls are known for killing people while awake.

But it is inferior and it should be subservient. You're its caretaker after all.

again, spoken like someone who wants to subjugate it's animal rather than let them enjoy just being themselves, you dog owners are something else...

Cats are lazy and boring.

you know nothing about cats...

Yeah but domestication is hardly "genetic mutilation". Besides, you'd have to say the same thing about cats since they're domesticated too.

but I can find wild African cats and sand cats that look pretty much the same as domesticated cats.

Nice to know you see yourself on the same level as an animal that has an IQ of 30 at best.

lol, sure pal.

and dogs have an IQ of what? 31?

11% of voters agree that cats make better pets than dogs because “they make you work for their affection and don’t sell out like dogs do
Loyalty and love = selling out

it's unfortunate that dogs have to be owned by dog owners who demand love or else!

You would have to pay me quite a lot of money to even consider owning a dog. They are dumb, they smell and just not worth the hassle. Cats ftw, am i right?

zaccheus

Banned
dogs infringe on my rights as a citizen. people in the US on the large part do not know how to take care of them. a barking dog in a neighborhood is an extremely common thing and probably one of the most annoying things ever when you work from home. seriously, yappy dogs, big dogs, they all bark all fucking day. i don't care if you say "oh but they have bad owners", then 90% of everyone is a bad fucking owner and shouldn't have a dog.

i've also been pestered by people's dogs when i go for walks in the park, in fact i was walkin with my 8 yr old niece and some douchebro's 2 yappy little pieces of shit mopdogs came within 4 inches of us and starting barking and nipping at us at us for no fucking reason. and the wanker goes "lol its ok dont worry bro!" why is that ok? the guy had like 4 kids and looked like he was pretty well educated too, so it's definitely not a class thing.

i'm ok with well trained dogs, but most people cannot for the life of them train them. why is america delusional when it comes to these things? i think owning them should require some sort of class, or instructional training before people get one it's kind of ridiculous how many times i've had encounters with people's leashless dogs barking at me completely unprovoked in my neighborhood, and it's a nice one too! i can't imagine what it's like in urban areas

Derwind

Dogs have literally evolved alongside man for thousands of years and are predisposed to being our companions. They're like horses for the house. They're among the animal species most receptive to human communications (vocal and gestural) and have innate abilities to guess a human's mood. Dogs > cats.

Plus, they're smarter at the high end than all cats (get yoself a border collie) and are far more useful.

sry cats, ur cute tho

Pretty much this, though I still love cats on some level.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
i can't imagine what it's like in urban areas

For the record, dogs in urban areas are very well behaved. Either because their owners can afford training (since they can afford dog walkers I assume a trainer isn't out of the question), or because the dogs are habituated to seeing a lot of people/cars/other dogs so they don't BALLS OUT CRAZY at the sight of anything.

Ahhh, the warm embrace of vindication.

Cat-GAF will race behind us, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join us in the sun.

.la1n

I am a cat person myself but I think it's fair to say there are positives / negatives to having any animal as a pet. Arguing over which is superior is always a conversation to nowhere.

What bothers me with anyone who has a pet is when it is automatically assumed you are going to look at the pet the same way they do. It's not fair to do so, people in public places may have a phobia of the animal in question or just generally not want to be bothered. Went to a food truck rodeo last weekend and ran into this, animals everywhere.

Mudkips

Banned
Dog lovers record movie in portrait. Cat lovers record in landscape. Cat wins again.
I love my dog and just recently nursed him back to health!

It's a flight of stairs. It's like the exact time you would want to record in portrait.

jambo

incorrect.our cat follows us everywhere and wants to play with us every time we're home. this is what every non-cat owner ever says.

wrong again, my girl's cat knows when she's upset and even knows when we argue. hell she even stopped us arguing one time (she got treats afterwards)

every time you're around they want your undivided attention. so you get no time for yourself.

again, spoken like someone who wants to subjugate it's animal rather than let them enjoy just being themselves, you dog owners are something else...

but I can find wild African cats and sand cats that look pretty much the same as domesticated cats.

it's unfortunate that dogs have to be owned by dog owners who demand love or else!

So basically you quoted a shit tonne of dog owners and said that they don't know anything about cats and are generalising... and then make general statements about them.

r9ckupp.gif

muddream

Banned
Dogs are a pain. My past few girlfriends have had dogs and they just got in the way constantly. They're the neediest things ever. Can't be gone from the apt for too long because of the dog. Can't spend the night at my place. Dog scratching on the door and whining while you're trying to get it on. Having to stop what you're doing every once in a while to take it outside so it can pee/poop. Then you have to pick up the warm log and dispose of it for the thing. If you take it out for a walk and it doesn't cause trouble, there's still a high chance someone else's untrained dog will fuck with your dog and cause a scene. They constantly demand attention, but are usually too big to cuddle up and sit on your lap. When they try, they pant in your face, which smells and is gross. They also have the whole "protect the owner" thing, so a lot of times they want to get between me and the girl while we're trying to chill and watch a movie or make out or whatever. All of your clothes get dog hair all over them and need to be lint brushed daily. If the dog gets too wound up, you need to tire them out by playing with them. Regardless of training, there's still a chance they'll just derp out and jump in front of a car, so they're highly susceptible to harm, making them an emotional time bomb for their owners.

and i fucking hate loud barking indoors

I didn't dislike them that much until I dated some girls who had dogs. Needless to say, it has become a factor in who I date from now on lol

If you have time to handle all ^^^that on a daily basis, more power to you.

Gimme this shit head any day:

Iz2w2hU.jpg

At least it'll be apathetic enough to not constantly get in the way

Please never have kids.

It's amazing how seriously some people on GAF take this.

I prefer cats. They're much more appropriate companions for plotting and scheming.

bond12jqn.jpg

Cats are known for killing babies while they are asleep irc. They suck the air out of their lungs.

This is the most utterly ridiculous thing I've read all day. How on earth do urban legends like this get spread?

Random butthurt

Puppies, maybe, full grown dogs? Hardly. Unless it's a border collie.

My dog runs around following you around the house, or sleeps. Same with most of my friends' dogs. The only attention needed is to make sure he has food & water and to walk him once a day.

NinjaBoiX

"Dogs are liked more popular than cats."

My brain just melted.

But yes, dogs are true companions, and have a lot more personality about them. Cats are just too nonchalant, strutting about like they own the place.

I like cats too, but they aren't a patch on man's best friend.

Dogs were quite literally designed by man to be our greatest companion and in turn that bond helped shape man's cultural progress. Cats can be great pets in the same way any domesticated mammal can be, but it's unfair to hold them or any other animal up for comparison against man's oldest successful genetic experiment.

Cats

- Hate you with every fiber of their being; think they are God
- The only social interaction they make is coming up next to you on the couch, then turning their exposed anus right into your face and releasing unpleasant cat-juices
- Are so fragile that you really can't pet them
- Can't go for walks or car rides
- Will mysteriously disappear in your house for hours, only to come back and annoy you
- Very little diversity among cats; all are the same size and are boring mixtures of black, white, and brown
- Cough up hairballs

Dogs

- Love you unconditionally; think you are God
- Socially interact with you and your friends, always upbeat when a stranger visits, and is ready to play fetch or monkey in the middle
- Can be extensively petted for hours on end
- Desperately want to go for walks and car rides, as well as other adventures
- Available 24/7; just call out your dog's name and he/she will come running to you with a smile
- Incredible diversity among dog breads makes every dog unique and personalized for their owner
- Do not cough up hairballs

Damn, the general populous of America is spot on. Dogs really are the superior pet. I actually pity those unfortunate enough to have a cat but not a dog.

Aiii

So not worth it
Cats

- The only social interaction they make is coming up next to you on the couch, then turning their exposed anus right into your face and releasing unpleasant cat-juices
- Will mysteriously disappear in your house for hours, only to come back and annoy you
- Very little diversity among cats; all are the same size and are boring mixtures of black, white, and brown
- Cough up hairballs

From this I can only conclude you've never met a cat in your life.

falconzss

Cats

- Cough up hairballs

Thanks for the laugh, I'm relieved. Now I actually know which kind of people where polled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom