• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Americans: Dogs are liked more and more popular than cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZiZ

Even a dog vs. cat thread becomes political dribble. Bravo.

the political dribble isn't the point, the point is, Americans like their pets more than they like other humans, people get more teared up when that "in the Arms of an angel" commercial plays, commercials about little Africans kids dying? not as much.
more money goes into taking care of pets than helping people who are in need.

slit

the political dribble isn't the point, the point is, Americans like their pets more than they like other humans, people get more teared up when that "in the Arms of an angel" commercial plays, commercials about little Africans kids dying? not as much.

I don't know if that's true, but even if it is, it's their money and people use it where THEY see fit, not where you see fit.

ZiZ

I don't know if that's true, but even if it is, it's their money and people use it where THEY see fit, not where you see fit.

I'm not blaming or shaming, I don't care where they put their money, I'm not any better than them, I spend a lot of money on video games and other selfish stuff.

It's just an interesting observation I've made.

Sax_Man

Banned
My cat is awesome. Follows me all around the house, guards the window and freaks out if there's a stranger, snuggles at night time, and loves playing chase and fetch.

167584_10150136495509283_6820521_n.jpg

Sax_Man

Banned
I can also mark the time that I adopted my cat by looking at the spider and bug count inside the house before (fifty kajillion) and after (two).

Wait, I thought this was about drones.

zma1013

Pretty sure people just tear up when they hear that song. It's a powerful song and her voice haunts you throughout the rest of the day. They could put the song to rainbows and sunshine and everyone would still cry.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Lets be honest, Americans aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. I'm sure if they re-did the poll, but let them write in their favorite animal it'd say chicken soup > dogs.

well the majority of Americans are stupid so it would make sense for their opinions to be as well

Yup. The only thing dumber than a dog is an American.

oh, we can do this sort of thing now?

sweet. fun times ahead.

Cimarron

Someone explain to me how more people can be afraid of cats that dogs? Seriously!?! A dog can kill and maim you. If a cat go apeshit the most it can do is a quick visit to the ER!

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Every person I've ever met that liked cats more than dogs to an extreme degree was always a little off...

It's anecdotal as fuck, I know, but it is what it is.

Dogs are just superior animals in almost every way.

Sometimes I like to take a cat and see if I can punt it across a ravine when my dog and I go huntin' and fishin'. Cats are lazy jerks, dogs are loyal and friendly, and that's the bottom line!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Someone explain to me how more people can be afraid of cats that dogs? Seriously!?! A dog can kill and maim you. If a cat go apeshit the most it can do is a quick visit to the ER!
My guess would be that people think a dog would do more damage, but any given cat is more likely to scratch you.

Not that it's accurate, but that could be the reasoning.

But really, more people are familiar with dogs, that's why.

Every person I've ever met that liked cats more than dogs to an extreme degree was always a little off...

Dog people are just more socially competent. They've got the capacity to be thinking about another being's wants and needs and successfully incorporate that into their lifestyle.

Come at me cat people ;)

cats are fine, I would just never want one personally.

cdyhybrid

There is no such thing as the stereotypical "crazy dog lady". Just saying.

snarge

The best part are the people taking the American thing and running with it.
1.) It's not negative thing, or definitive at all. It's just a silly poll.
2.) Whatever country you're from, the poll would probably have the same results. Unless you live in Catsylvania. I think just generally, less people own cats. Well, no one really "owns" cats, amirite?

andymcc

Banned
all of this debating could have been silenced if dog owners would have just posted photos like i suggested earlier. :(

Interesting anecdote, but dogs are better at it.

well if you say so, I guess it must be true.

US is very dog friendly for the most part, people pick up after their poop.

Europe eeeessssh forget about it

HAHA you've never been to NYC I see... dog shit everywhere.

So basically you quoted a shit tonne of dog owners and said that they don't know anything about cats and are generalising... and then make general statements about them.

r9ckupp.gif

every single thread about dogs on GAF devolves into dog owners making generalizations about how cats are evil and cat people are weird, so i'm just pointing it out.

It's amazing how seriously some people on GAF take this.

about as serious as you and your whole slave/master speech.

Random butthurt

like when a dog bites you or I have to look at my street full of annoying, barking shit machines (and that's just the owners!)
dogs are fine like Is aid, it's the owners that are a pain.

every single thread about dogs on GAF devolves into dog owners making generalizations about how cats are evil and cat people are weird, so i'm just pointing it out.
Cats aren't evil, they're just sociopathic.

Cat owners aren't weird, but "cat people" certainly tend to be. Show me two people, one with 4 dogs and one with 4 cats, and ask me to guess which one is crazy. Everything else being equal I'll bet hard currency the latter is the crazy one.

Diablos

Dog ownership has to be at a record high. I'm noticing more and more of them. Not that I mind. People are depressed and need companionship. I love dogs and cats though
and I can't decide what I want to get

Pets are stupid, they just sit around their entire life bored out of their minds in your home and sleep and eat all day until they get sick and die. Dogs are supposed to be for hunting or herding and cats are for killing mice.

andymcc

Banned
Pets are stupid, they just sit around their entire life bored out of their minds in your home and sleep and eat all day until they get sick and die.

video games are stupid. it's just like you're pushing buttons to do something on a screen that simulates something else you could be doing.

Pets are stupid, they just sit around their entire life bored out of their minds in your home and sleep and eat all day until they get sick and die. Dogs are supposed to be for hunting or herding and cats are for killing mice.

Yes, those poor rescue animals are just doomed to an existence of boredom.

Don't get me wrong cats are beautiful animals, but they are fucking terrible to have around an ecosystem. They will decimate local native species - bird, reptiles, amphibians and mammals. Consequently, I think it's nearly immoral to even have on as a pet. But they are funny to watch and are pretty.

Yep. Letting your cat run around outside is all kinds of wrong, especially because so many people do it and the ecosystems can't handle this kind of predator density.
Free-roaming cats kill off various of small critters (cats have the dubious honor of being the animal responsible for the second most extinctions - right after man himselfs), and by doing so also hurt the populations of local carnivores - e.g. mustelids, owls & birds of prey - because they have a harder time finding prey.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Obviously current pets are not capable of fending for themselves. I was comparing to wild animals not other pets.

Cats can fend for themselves just fine. I dunno about dogs though. Maybe in a rural environment but I don't see many stray dogs in the city.

IMO cats are like friends and dogs are like children. Living without cats would make me very sad, and while I love my friends' dogs I can't imagine having a dog of my own because the 24x7 attention they need is just too much.

kick51

Banned

colonial times were over a long time ago bro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom