• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 8 | Expecting reprints? Too bad. Waluigi time.

Macka

I picked up my first amiibo with BotW (Archer Link), and now I have the Amiibo bug. :/

Luckily it seems there's still a decent amount of stock remaining even of older Amiibo's in Australia. I picked up a Mewtwo, and have my eye on OoT Link, Diddy Kong from the Super Mario series and Mega Man. Samus would have been at the top of my list, but based on the few I managed to find in-store, the paint job doesn't seem great on that one.

Marth looks terrible as well.

Two questions:

1. Will the 4th character also be released on the Wii U and 3DS? it would be strange to release 4 amiibo for Smash and you can only use three of them on Wii U and 3DS... Well, not really because of Switch version, but still...

2. Will the packaging be the same as the other Smash Amiibo or will it be redesigned to Switch packaging? Because it would really conflict eachother if you have a complete Smash series NIB... I think Nintendo will choose the second option just because... Nintendo I guess? :eek:

PtM

Banned
Two questions:

1. Will the 4th character also be released on the Wii U and 3DS? it would be strange to release 4 amiibo for Smash and you can only use three of them on Wii U and 3DS... Well, not really because of Switch version, but still...

2. Will the packaging be the same as the other Smash Amiibo or will it be redesigned to Switch packaging? Because it would really conflict eachother if you have a complete Smash series NIB... I think Nintendo will choose the second option just because... Nintendo I guess? :eek:
Well, look no further than the MK8 Battle Mode DLC.

First we need a good Bomberman game on Switch to go with

I know you're messing around but if Bomberman R does well and Bomberman DOES show up in Smash, I don't see any reason to think they won't make at least one more Bomberman game during Switch's lifespan, so whatever shortcomings people may have with R could very well be addressed in a sequel.

Bomberman is pretty much a lock since it was a launch game x konami and Nintendo are buddy buddies
Snake is a wild card

I think Sakurai wouldn't want him due to his friendship with Kojima but hopefully the big boss at Nintendo let's him in

Almost ordered the monster hunter amiibo today, but they're just a little too expensive. Hoping they come down in price about $5, but I'm worried about them getting rarer. What do y'all think?

Ashilyn

Glad to see 8-Bit Link is getting a restock, that's the only of the 30th Anniversary Amiibo I didn't have. Now if only they'd make my dreams come true and do another run of Smash Zelda/Shiek/Toon Link to replace the ones I had stolen T_T

I wonder if they'll do another wave of Zelda anniversary amiibo. Now it's technically the US 30th, and I've read there's amiibo data in BotW for Fierce Deity and Skyward Sword outfits... would make since since those are the only 3D ones not represented at all.

I'd just kill for a Skyward Sword Zelda amiibo. Doubt it'll happen though.

Glad to see 8-Bit Link is getting a restock, that's the only of the 30th Anniversary Amiibo I didn't have. Now if only they'd make my dreams come true and do another run of Smash Zelda/Shiek/Toon Link to replace the ones I had stolen T_T

I wonder if they'll do another wave of Zelda anniversary amiibo. Now it's technically the US 30th, and I've read there's amiibo data in BotW for Fierce Deity and Skyward Sword outfits... would make since since those are the only 3D ones not represented at all.

I'd just kill for a Skyward Sword Zelda amiibo. Doubt it'll happen though.

That's one of the upcoming Zelda amiibo :)

They've done 8-bit, OoT, WW, and Smash, and up next are MM, TP, and SS.

Can't wait to get the Skyward amiibo, besides BotW that's my favorite Link.

Ashilyn

That's one of the upcoming Zelda amiibo :)

They've done 8-bit, OoT, WW, and Smash, and up next are MM, TP, and SS.

Can't wait to get the Skyward amiibo, besides BotW that's my favorite Link.

Man, is that confirmed and I missed it? The amiibo data in BotW only has IDs for a MM, TP, and SS Link. If so, word. That would make my day.

...I mean, either way it's Zelda amiibos, I'd be there day one regardless.

EDIT: Just to clarify I meant literally an amiibo of Zelda from Skyward Sword. I realised that might not have been clear. I'll be genuinely surprised if they do one of her. TBH I wish they'd stop focusing on just Link and Zelda though, as much as they are the lynchpins of the series. I'd love amiibo of OoT or WW Gannondorf (or an oversized Guardian-type one of Ganon), Impa, or Fi, or Ghirahim, or Zant... I guess really I wish they'd just done Hyrule Warriors set XD

Man, is that confirmed and I missed it? The amiibo data in BotW only has IDs for a MM, TP, and SS Link. If so, word. That would make my day.

...I mean, either way it's Zelda amiibos, I'd be there day one regardless.

EDIT: Just to clarify I meant literally an amiibo of Zelda from Skyward Sword. I realised that might not have been clear. I'll be genuinely surprised if they do one of her. TBH I wish they'd stop focusing on just Link and Zelda though, as much as they are the lynchpins of the series. I'd love amiibo of OoT or WW Gannondorf (or an oversized Guardian-type one of Ganon), Impa, or Fi, or Ghirahim, or Zant... I guess really I wish they'd just done Hyrule Warriors set XD
Oh shit, no sorry I meant Link, argh.

I agree, it's nice we got a Bokoblin and a Guardian for BotW but I'd love to see other main characters from the different games, Zelda and Fi from SS, Zant from TP, Ganondorf and the bird girl from WW (along with Pjam Link that'd unlock the all mighty Lobster Shirt in BotW, or Tetra, they could have done a whole WW series for WWHD honestly), Hyrule Warriors we could have gotten Linkle and.. is her name Cia? I still haven't played it so I don't know her name but the girl with the crazy bird mask and uh revealing outfit. Majora's Mask could have given us a Skull Kid amiibo, amiibo of all the different Link transformations, scan Skull Kid into BotW and get Majora's Mask as an unlock, etc

The world needs a Groose amiibo.
Would buy.

But yeah, there should be way more non-Link/Zelda amiibo. There's so many good options. Kaepora Gaebora, The Great Deku Tree, Skull Kid and/or Majora, Impa, Ravio, Beast Ganon (any version, or multiple versions), Vaati, Zant, King of the Red Lions, Demise, Ghirahim, any Sage/Champion/equivalent, generic representatives of the various races, various bosses, numerous iconic enemies, etc...

Certainly deserves more amiibo representation than all those Animal Crossing figures.

sehui

So the new link amiibos found in the datamine of botw is confirmed? I thought it might be cancelled stuff because the TP link and smash link give virtually the same stuff

Zalman

So the new link amiibos found in the datamine of botw is confirmed? I thought it might be cancelled stuff because the TP link and smash link give virtually the same stuff
They're in the code and will probably come out later this year. Maybe around the same time as the DLC kicks in.

Certainly deserves more amiibo representation than all those Animal Crossing figures.

I think one of the benefits of the Animal Crossing series is that its relatively easy to make figures out of the characters because they don't have much of a intricate design. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if pretty much all of the Animal Crossing amiibo were made with straight up rips of the models of the characters from Amiibo Festival.

Plus of course, the people working on those games really wanted physical figures so its not surprising they made them really quickly.

I think the Zelda series ones would sell really well though. Definitely I can see them releasing a new Ganondorf and some of the other more fan favorite characters like Skull Kid, etc. I'm forseeing Dark Link to also get a release along with Skyward Sword/Fierce Deity. Even though its possible to get that costume (I think?) in the game, its an easy one for them to do.

I think one of the benefits of the Animal Crossing series is that its relatively easy to make figures out of the characters because they don't have much of a intricate design. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if pretty much all of the Animal Crossing amiibo were made with straight up rips of the models of the characters from Amiibo Festival.

Plus of course, the people working on those games really wanted physical figures so its not surprising they made them really quickly.

I think the Zelda series ones would sell really well though. Definitely I can see them releasing a new Ganondorf and some of the other more fan favorite characters like Skull Kid, etc. I'm forseeing Dark Link to also get a release along with Skyward Sword/Fierce Deity. Even though its possible to get that costume (I think?) in the game, its an easy one for them to do.
You're right on Animal Crossing being simpler/cheaper, but then Zelda is also being treated as a "premium" line with higher prices, and so far seems to be much more successful, which isn't surprising (isn't Smash Link the best selling amiibo?). Outside of Isabelle, any Zelda figure is going to have way more draw for the franchise's fan base than an Animal Crossing figure would with its own.

Yeah I think it's super bonkers that Zelda, one of Nintendo's top 3 franchises, has such a weak amiibo offering compared to Animal Crossing of all things, especially given the (not even advertised!!?!) totally badass unlocks they give you in BotW, their flagship launch game for Switch.

Like of ALL the Zelda games, we have (not counting Smash) 4 classic Link amiibo and 5 BotW amiibo. There are sixteen Animal Crossing amiibo plus a card series by comparison. Even when the final 3 30th Anniversary Zelda amiibo come out that's still only 12.

I think Nintendo fucked themselves a little with the Animal Crossing line, not because they're bad (I love them and have all of them, their designs are perfect for amiibo) but because they didn't release with an actual AC game and they did jack shit. If the Wii U had gotten a full Animal Crossing game and the amiibo launched with it, or if the 3DS had gotten a sequel and amiibo along side, I think it would have been a much different story since Animal Crossing IS a very popular franchise. But not only was amiibo Festival total bullshit but to use them in Happy Home Designer you also had to either buy a $30 dongle for your 3DS or an entirely new 3DS system (their uselessness and the shit quality of the games they released with is even more evident by the fact that they essentially patched in HHD and AF to new Leaf as a last ditch effort). And as a result they became shelf warmers and I think from that Nintendo took away "we should be much more conservative about what we release so this doesn't happen again" instead of what they should have, "we need to produce more when we have a strong game to tie into the amiibo and less when we don't". It's not like niche games or characters shouldn't get amiibo (BoxBoy!!) but it should be common sense that the demand for something like that would be lower than something like OoT Link, yet here we are anxiously awaiting a potential restock after a mere 3 months.

Persona7

Banned
Can't believe even the bokoblin amiibo is $15.99. Outrageous and nobody locally is buying them judging by four rows of them at toys r us...lol.

StAidan

After playing BotW I caved on buying the Archer Link and Zelda amiibo in the series. Amiibo quality has really jumped up since the Smash series (I only have a few non-Smash ones). Really impressed by both of them.

PSFan

Yeah I think it's super bonkers that Zelda, one of Nintendo's top 3 franchises, has such a weak amiibo offering compared to Animal

Weak? There's more amiibos of Link and Zelda than there are of Mario and Peach. I think the Zelda franchise may have the most amiibos at this point.

Weak? There's more amiibos of Link and Zelda than there are of Mario and Peach. I think the Zelda franchise may have the most amiibos at this point.

Ok well, first off I'm specifically comparing them to Animal Crossing, not Mario. I even say that, but you cut it off in the quote. Secondly, no way, in the rest of my post I actually lay out that even compared to AC, Zelda does not have the most. There are 16 AC amiibo, and even if you include Smash under the Zelda umbrella they still at this point in time only have 15:

5 Smash (Link, Zelda, Sheik, Toon Link, Ganondorf), 1 Twilight Princess, 4 30th Anniversary (OoT, WW 2-Pack, 8-bit), 5 Breath of the Wild (Archer, Zelda, Bokoblin, Guardian, Rider).

Animal Crossing has 16.
Mario has 17 (Mario, Silver Mario, Gold Mario, 8-Bit Classic Mario, 8-Bit Modern Mario, Luigi, Peach, DK, Yoshi, Toad, Daisy, Rosalina, Bowser, Wario, Waluigi, Boo, Diddy Kong) and if you include Smash with that it's 27 (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, Bowser Jr, Rosalina, DK, Diddy Kong, Dr Mario).
Smash has 56, with 4 more on the way.

So once the next 3 30th Anniversary Zelda amiibo come out, and including the Smash amiibo, then it'll have 18, two more than Animal Crossing and 9 less than Mario. But if we're only counting franchise-specific amiibo, then Zelda [will have] 13, Animal Crossing 16, Mario 17, and Smash 60.

It makes sense for Smash to have the most, and after that would obviously be Mario next (honestly surprised they haven't done more, I'm sure Odyssey will have an amiibo or two though), but next you'd think it would be Zelda, but it's not, it's Animal Crossing with Zelda falling 4th place with 3 less than AC. It's just wrong! Wrong! Gimme Skyward Sword HD amiibo with Link on a Loftwing and Zelda, Impa, and Groose!

For completion's sake since I already counted the others:

BoxBoy: 1
Chibi Robo: 1
Kirby: 4
Yoshi's Wooly World: 5
Splatoon: 8
Zelda: 13
Animal Crossing: 16
Super Mario: 17
Super Smash Bros: 60

I weep for the wallets of those that have all of them, or even just all the Smash amiibo D:

I'm sad they canned the Star Fox series, I wanted that Arwing they kept talking about ): Also, Metroid series when? ;__;

Jawmuncher

Can't believe even the bokoblin amiibo is $15.99. Outrageous and nobody locally is buying them judging by four rows of them at toys r us...lol.

I stand by the price increase just being associated with switch launch and BOTW. I see no difference in quality for the price increase. Does seem like bokoblins will be cheaper later on though.

WHY they decided on 3 links and Bokoblins, instead of the 4 heroes or others is beyond me.

LiK

I stand by the price increase just being associated with switch launch and BOTW. I see no difference in quality for the price increase. Does seem like bokoblins will be cheaper later on though.

WHY they decided on 3 links and Bokoblins, instead of the 4 heroes or others is beyond me.

Series 2, I bet.

Top Bottom