• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia: Memories |OT| A Machine for Love

Saphirax

I agree, but Corpse Party's bad ends are much better. Which is to be expected; we are dealing with different genres here.

This game changed my view on otome games again, for the better; Norn9 and Code Realize better deliver.

Heard C:R was really good, but Norn9 had some issues. At least Norn9 has a lot of characters :p.

Shizuka

Oh my God, all the guys are jerks. I get to their good endings still feeling like they're jerks. I wouldn't date these guys at all.

Kirie

From what I've heard, the sequels/fandiscs are even worse about this!

My friend who is playing through them all right now says that Later is way fluffier than the base game.

I really don't feel like Amnesia is all that bad personally, but I know some people are more sensitive to it, which is perfectly reasonable. Wait until you come across some of the guys in Norn9, lol

Saphirax

My friend who is playing through them all right now says that Later is way fluffier than the base game.

I really don't feel like Amnesia is all that bad personally, but I know some people are more sensitive to it, which is perfectly reasonable. Wait until you come across some of the guys in Norn9, lol

89HANHg.gif

I'm not sure I want to find out D:..

Kirie

Yeah, they don't reach the heights of Amnesia's
cage mclovin' or split personality killer
but there's plenty of tsun and some jerkiness to go around with a few of the guys, so it's a bit different at least. The protags all have differing personalities and handle the guys on their own set of routes, so it's pretty interesting imo.

If someone thinks that all the guys in Amnesia are assholes, then they probably are going to find a number of guys in Norn9 jerks as well (at least in the beginning of their routes). But there's a wider array of guys at least so everyone should find someone they hopefully like. There's some sweet ones, don't worry! My favorite guy actually turned out to be the super tsun character (I normally dislike tsuns) but in the end he turned out pretty fantastic.

Regardless though, looking forward to the write-ups :p No idea how Code:Realize is with its routes since I haven't played it, so I'm really looking forward to going into that one blind.

pariah164

If someone thinks that all the guys in Amnesia are assholes, then they probably are going to find a number of guys in Norn9 jerks as well (at least in the beginning of their routes). But there's a wider array of guys at least so everyone should find someone they hopefully like.
All the guys in Amnesia had their own great points.
Except for Toma. We don't talk about him.

Saphirax

Yeah, they don't reach the heights of Amnesia's
cage mclovin' or split personality killer
but there's plenty of tsun and some jerkiness to go around with a few of the guys, so it's a bit different at least. The protags all have differing personalities and handle the guys on their own set of routes, so it's pretty interesting imo.

If someone thinks that all the guys in Amnesia are assholes, then they probably are going to find a number of guys in Norn9 jerks as well. But there's a wider array of guys at least so everyone should find someone they hopefully like. There's some sweet ones, don't worry! My favorite guy actually turned out to be the super tsun character (I normally dislike tsuns) but in the end he turned out pretty fantastic.

Regardless though, looking forward to the write-ups :p No idea how Code:Realize is with its routes since I haven't played it, so I'm really looking forward to going into that one blind.

Oh, ok - you got me worried there for a second :p. I don't know much about Norn9 except that the game has some plot holes and that people seem to dislike the pink haired heroine.

On the other hand, I heard nothing but good things about Code:Realise - so am looking forward to playing it.

Kirie

All the guys in Amnesia had their own great points.
Except for Toma. We don't talk about him.

Agreed! :D Really hoping for the fandisks to be localized.

Oh, ok - you got me worried there for a second :p. I don't know much about Norn9 except that the game has some plot holes and that people seem to dislike the pink haired heroine.

On the other hand, I heard nothing but good things about Code:Realise - so am looking forward to playing it.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Koharu much either xD;; I also didn't care for any of the dudes on her route so that probably didn't help much.

Looking forward to it! Reine des Fleurs wasn't that great at all, so I'm looking forward to having a good game to look forward to.

Saphirax

Agreed! :D Really hoping for the fandisks to be localized.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Koharu much either xD;; I also didn't care for any of the dudes on her route so that probably didn't help much.

Looking forward to it! Reine des Fleurs wasn't that great at all, so I'm looking forward to having a good game to look forward to.

It wasn't? I read mixed impressions. Certain routes were good, while some others, and the bad endings were...questionable.

Game looks gorgeous though. Would be nice to get it localized eventually.

Kirie

It wasn't? I read mixed impressions. Certain routes were good, while some others, and the bad endings were...questionable.

Game looks gorgeous though. Would be nice to get it localized eventually.

Yeah, I platinumed it. Honestly Orpheus' route saved the game for me personally. None of the other routes I enjoyed (I do like Leon as a character a lot though even still). While beautiful, the game had an overly convoluted story and most of the"love/true" routes weren't good at all imo. Besides the love endings being disappointing, there's like 40 bad endings besides that. It's too much. It's also probably the most "guide, dang it" otoge I've ever played.

Just my opinion of course! Glad for those who did like it. I wouldn't complain if it got localized as it would be nice for people to play it for themselves, but I think there's other more deserving titles out there. I hope they make a fandisk and rectify some of the issues with the game :( Maybe I'm just salty my favorite guys going into it turned out to be utter assholes, lol.

Shizuka

I think it'll be hard for another otome to top Sweet Fuse, all the guys were great. Yeah, even the
mastermind

Kirie

I hope I don't get shunned for it, but I really wasn't a huge fan of Sweet Fuse xD; I certainly see the appeal though!

My favorite otoge are the the Koei Ruby Party games, specifically the Harukanaru toki no naka de series. Geten no Hana series was also fantastic. Tons of varied guys and strong heroines. I'd kill for any of them to be localized, which I doubt will ever be the case :(

Saphirax

Yeah, I platinumed it. Honestly Orpheus' route saved the game for me personally. None of the other routes I enjoyed (I do like Leon as a character a lot though even still). While beautiful, the game had an overly convoluted story and most of the"love/true" routes weren't good at all imo. Besides the love endings being disappointing, there's like 40 bad endings besides that. It's too much. It's also probably the most "guide, dang it" otoge I've ever played.

Just my opinion of course! Glad for those who did like it. I wouldn't complain if it got localized as it would be nice for people to play it for themselves, but I think there's other more deserving titles out there. I hope they make a fandisk and rectify some of the issues with the game :( Maybe I'm just salty my favorite guys going into it turned out to be utter assholes, lol.
Ah, shame :/. Yeah, 10 bad endings per route seems a bit unecessary.
I think it'll be hard for another otome to top Sweet Fuse, all the guys were great. Yeah, even the
mastermind

I'd disagree. The secret route was poorly thought out. Although that's nothing unusual for otome games unfortunately. Also, Urabe was a total creep. I'd place him somewhere on Toma's level. I replayed SF so many times, but I never bothered going for the youngest guy's route. He was completely unappealing.

apricot

I was wondering where all the otome game fans on GAF were hanging out! When is there going to be an OT? XD

Ah, this bums me out, haha. My copy is still sitting on the shelf, but 40 bad endings doesn't have me jumping out of my chair to go play! I'm sure I'll get to it eventually... It certainly does look gorgeous, though

Kirie

I was wondering where all the otome game fans on GAF were hanging out! When is there going to be an OT? XD

Ah, this bums me out, haha. My copy is still sitting on the shelf, but 40 bad endings doesn't have me jumping out of my chair to go play! I'm sure I'll get to it eventually... It certainly does look gorgeous, though

Oh geez I'd love an otoge OT! Although there is a VN OT already so I'm not sure if one would be warranted, but having a nice little haven to chat about them would be a ton of fun.

Yeah I was super bummed out over it after waiting for it for so long :( I don't regret the purchase at least, because the art and seiyuu were just too good and there were some lighthearted moments... but they really made some bad game design decisions that could have easily been avoided. Ah well.

Saphirax

Would be nice to have an Otome OT! Although not too certain if a lot of people would be interested in it.

Westraid

Still working on Amnesia, but I hope to complete it soon so I can squeeze in some Reine des 40 Bad Endings before Code: Realize comes out. I can live with three per character, but 40 bad endings in a game is just ridiculous.

I'd definitely be in favour of an Otoge OT.
There's a handful new ones coming out every month, so if there are enough people interested in the genre, it could work out?

jzbluz

I ended up buying the Steam version and then giving it to a friend. I'll buy the Vita version when it's on sale since I still want to support Iffy's efforts, but I lost interest on the game. Not that I was that interested in the game in the first place...

Oh geez I'd love an otoge OT! Although there is a VN OT already so I'm not sure if one would be warranted, but having a nice little haven to chat about them would be a ton of fun.

That would be great! The VN OT is perfectly nice but the otome fans are way outnumbered.

Bittercup

Finally bought the game. I kinda feel bad since I wanted to get it at release but paying twice the price for the Vita version compared to steam made me hesitant and money was tight and now it's suddenly already on sale (in the EU).
I hope the game still was successful enough so we will get more otome games released outside of Japan.

Anyway I just finished my first playthrough. I picked randomly a world without looking up the guys and ended up with Kent and got the normal endling.
Totally didn't expect it to end in a good way. At first he annoyed me and I picked all the answers with the intent to hopefully break up. What a crappy boyfriend.
It was interesting to figure out why they did date in the first place. I certainly wouldn't date someone like him at the beginning and I assumed they are probably not actually dating. Maybe a lost bet or something like that since he always seemed confused when the heroine acts nicely and it was very clear that she didn't like him when they started dating. But towards the end I actually did like him and enjoyed this story-path quite a bit. What a weird guy but in a way he's still nice and likeable. And the cake scene was too funny.
Great game so far.
I didn't like the pool scene though and how passive the heroine was. Kent is freaking out that she's too naked in her bikini and doesn't allow her to be with the group of guys and girls and the only choices are stay only with Kent or stay only with the girls and no way to tell him to stop being an idiot.
Not sure what I will try next. I'm somewhat curious to see his good ending. Normal was already cute. Or play with another guy. I like Shin's design.

Orion was an strange choice. I didn't mind him and think he was funny but would have preferred since he is voicing not only as a commentator but pretty much tells what the heroine is thinking as well to split this up between the characters so the heroine would say what she thinks and Orion just as a commentator.

Bittercup

Is there a trick to the air hockey mini-game? I have never played anything that frustrating.
The puck is completely laggy and randomly just stops to follow my finger.
No idea how this is supposed to be beatable. The trophy list says there are at least 40% who have beaten all 5 guys so it must be possible but I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Is there a trick to the air hockey mini-game? I have never played anything that frustrating.
The puck is completely laggy and randomly just stops to follow my finger.
No idea how this is supposed to be beatable. The trophy list says there are at least 40% who have beaten all 5 guys so it must be possible but I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.
I had no problem with it, must be my childhood air hockey experience coming back.

I don't recall having any particular issues with a laggy puck, though. Maybe try using a different finger?

Bittercup

Hm no idea then what's the matter. The controls are really bad for me. After a break I at least managed to win by pure luck. Still not very fun mini game.

But back to the game. I finished Shin's route with the normal ending
Yay 'murder mystery'! I like the story. And it was nice that more characters had screen time. In Kent's route it felt more focused just on Kent and the Heroine.
But I'm not so happy with Shin. Kent's storyline had a nice arc and the normal ending was cute.
Shin on the other hand is just annoyingly strict and rude to the heroine and complains that Sawa and Toma just cuddle her like she's just a puppy who needs a strict master and in the end nothing really changes.
Turns out he didn't try to kill her, she only ran away because he was being a jerk so that's apparently fine.
So far Kent > Shin.
And I got killed buy the spooky guy. But totally worth it for Shin's and Toma's reaction when I decided to sleep in his room instead :D

Fady K

Shizuka i'm wondering if this is worth a buy from the flash sale. I love visual novels though I'm not sure how I'll feel about a purely romantic story. Or is there more to this game?

Shizuka

Shizuka i'm wondering if this is worth a buy from the flash sale. I love visual novels though I'm not sure how I'll feel about a purely romantic story. Or is there more to this game?

For $9, it's a good game. It'll last a good while and it might be interesting to check if you like otome visual novels or not. Still, if price is not an issue, Code Realize comes first, way ahead of Amnesia.

Fady K

For $9, it's a good game. It'll last a good while and it might be interesting to check if you like otome visual novels or not. Still, if price is not an issue, Code Realize comes first, way ahead of Amnesia.

Thanks shizuka :) i have yet to play an otome visual novel per se though i did pick up hakouki recently. I'll wait for a price drop on Code Realize first. So is there more to romance in Amnesia?

Shizuka

Otome community thread is up!

Thanks shizuka :) i have yet to play an otome visual novel per se though i did pick up hakouki recently. I'll wait for a price drop on Code Realize first. So is there more to romance in Amnesia?

I have a particular opinion regarding Amnesia, different from most people around here. The romance in the game is iffy for me, because the guys attitudes are extremely off-putting to me. You can't realistically fall for a jerk IMO, and that's why I'd put Amnesia lower than any other otome title out there.

Fady K

Otome community thread is up!

I have a particular opinion regarding Amnesia, different from most people around here. The romance in the game is iffy for me, because the guys attitudes are extremely off-putting to me. You can't realistically fall for a jerk IMO, and that's why I'd put Amnesia lower than any other otome title out there.

Many thanks buddy :) I'll wait for code:realize to go on sale instead

Top Bottom