• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amy Hennig has left Naughty Dog [confirmed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mind you, I don't know anything (most of us don't) about what transpired here. And there may be something to that post (after all, I can't disprove it). But since I wasn't introduced to drama related to rumors yesterday, my assumption would be that at a bare minimum, there's probably some sensationalist fiction sprinkled in there. Personally, I'd let things play out a little more before running with the notion that a post on 4chan should be taken as fact that needs to be debunked.

Exactly neither can be proved, nor disproved. Therefore we should all wait until the facts are clarified; either from Sony themselves, or Hennig herself.

EL CUCO

I never get people like you. She only singlehandedly wrote Uncharted 3. Which IMO was the worst of the 3 story wise. All the people who were deeply involved are still there.

TLOU not having charm is also laughable. You could connect with the characters and they were memorable.

What kind of people would I be? People who don't have the same opinion as you? Ah...I see.

I'm not sure you understand the definition of charm. TLOU was dark, serious tone, emotional roller coaster...and that's ok. But that's not what I want in my Uncharted game. The fact that Neil wanted to kill of Elena speaks of the type of tone that he'd like to inject into the series.

I'm OK with this Druckmann is the man at Naughty Dog, he should be who guides where they go creatvely withe their IPs. He made the Last Of Us, he has my confidence. Henning was behind UC3, and from the past comments ive read on Gaf everyone thinks that games forgetable, at best. I surprised at the outrage actually.

No. Not everyone. I thought Uncharted 3 was fantastic. And besides, she didn't JUST do Uncharted 3, she worked heavily on the previous Uncharted games (among other series) as well. You're really surprised that a great creative director/writer for ND left caused some outrage? Uhh...

I'm OK with this Druckmann is the man at Naughty Dog, he should be who guides where they go creatvely withe their IPs. He made the Last Of Us, he has my confidence. Henning was behind UC3, and from the past comments ive read on Gaf everyone thinks that games forgetable, at best. I surprised at the outrage actually.

Well I am assuming you aren't familiar with her other works. She is extremely talented. Outside UC3, which is one of her weakest story pieces, she is pretty solid.

andycapps

I never denied its a new IP

I'm just saying that their one new IP is another 3rd person shooter after a long string of 3rd person shooters (Re 4-6, 4 Gears of War games, 4 uncharted games, etc.)

Someone is always going to be upset on GAF. If it were a Dark Souls style game, then people would say we already have Dark Souls, why not be original? If it were a FPS, people would complain about another shooter. Whether you like the genre is irrelevant.

What kind of people would I be? People who don't have the same opinion as you? Ah...I see.

I'm not sure you understand the definition of charm. TLOU was dark, serious tone, emotional roller coaster...and that's ok. But that's not what I want in my Uncharted game. The fact that Neil wanted to kill of Elena speaks of the type of tone that he'd like to inject into the series.

When I say people like you I honestly mean no malice. I mean people who decide they won't buy a game over reasons that cannot be proved concrete. This is all rumor, so to decide you are not going to purchase a video game based off that seems rash and not well thought out.

Ever think that whatever input and work she did do while was there could/will still be implemented even if going in a different direction?

StuBurns

Banned
I don't think it's true that 'most' people think UC3 is bad. I would say the majority of the series fans on GAF think it's the weakest, but it's difficult to gauge by how much.

Sande

I don't know her precise involvement and influence at ND, but what I can say is that Uncharted has better plot and especially dialogue than about 99% of games so I'd bet this is a pretty bad thing. I'd really hate if Neil and Bruce forced her out to take over Uncharted. Because that's a dick move for starters, but also because I'd like them to be working on something more worthwhile. Uncharted is a gaming equivalent of popcorn summer blockbusters. Nice entertainment but nothing you'll remember a week later.

Zen

Banned
I don't think it's true that 'most' people think UC3 is bad. I would say the majority of the series fans on GAF think it's the weakest, but it's difficult to gauge by how much.

It's fair to say that when someone says that Uncharted 3 is bad, it's a relative term. I think it's a bad game, but it's still probably much more accomplished than other games that I still enjoy.

andycapps

When I say people like you I honestly mean no malice. I mean people who decide they won't buy a game over reasons that cannot be proved concrete. This is all rumor, so to decide you are not going to purchase a video game based off that seems rash and not well thought out.

Ever think that whatever input and work she did do while was there could/will still be implemented even if going in a different direction?

We don't really know that he would have killed off Elena if he had the reins. For all we know, that was just an idea that he was thinking of at the time. We don't know that he and Straley will do UC4, but if they are in charge, I think they're aware of how to honor what Hennig did in building the universe while still putting their own writing style to it.

Are you kidding me ? There's nothing "shamelessly pandering" about that.

And the part from Hennig about no games tackling the subjects of camaderie and friendship: that is such a load of horseshit. There are a fuckton of videogames that underline the importance of both friendship and camaderie. On the other hand, how many videogames have you seen in which homosexuality is explored ?

Yeah, I thought so.

why don't you start by naming examples of your own statements.

And while you're at it, cross-reference them with other media and the current trends in it, like 'shipping'. That word alone should instantly make you aware that she is correct in stating that sexuality is being oversold and you are not.

---

As for the topic: Can we now get that Soul Reaver sequel?

Kinyou

You don't need a writing team to make games this good:

hog_wild.gif
Disturbing to say the least

Sony teh doomed no new IP's forget about Knack,Driveclub and The order 1886 because they are just another(insert genre here) The PS4 should be renamed the indiestation 4 because thats the only thing they have shown where is (insert new IP's genre and studio name here)

Look mommy i can hyperbole

Linkenski

Banned
I don't know her precise involvement and influence at ND, but what I can say is that Uncharted has better plot and especially dialogue than about 99% of games so I'd bet this is a pretty bad thing. I'd really hate if Neil and Bruce forced her out to take over Uncharted. Because that's a dick move for starters, but also because I'd like them to be working on something more worthwhile. Uncharted is a gaming equivalent of popcorn summer blockbusters. Nice entertainment but nothing you'll remember a week later.

Wowowow, okay your opinion is yours of course but while I agree the dialogue is what drives Uncharted, being a character-driven series it's definitely NOT the plots. UC 1 and UC 2 were okay, mostly because of how stylish they were but in the end they were still just completely cliche, but in UC3 they tried to be subversive and failed when they should've just retained the Indiana Jones vibe. They rely too much on contrivances and silly things to be considered "good plots" in my book.

I wonder her departure will cause more delays for UC4? I hope that's not the case. PS4 needs AAA exclusive for the momentum to carry on.

dreamfall

Are there any real new updates?

The news is pretty upsetting, but there's been so much speculation that we need some major clarification- from either camp.

Sony says it will not impact UC4 development time.
I don't think it will the core team and talent are still there it's not like what happen at SSM or infinity ward so it'll be fine hopefully she can stretch her legs else where or even in something complety different like comic books.

andycapps

Are there any real new updates?

The news is pretty upsetting, but there's been so much speculation that we need some major clarification- from either camp.

No updates since what's been posted in the OP. The rest of this has been conjecture, revisionist history, well wishes to Amy and ND, users expressing faith in ND, etc.

EL CUCO

I understand what you mean. It's just, I have a certain expectation for an Uncharted game. IMO this is a red flag for any fan of the series.

I never said I wasn't buying the game. If it's good, I'm buying it. I said I'd be more keen to watch for reviews as opposed to rushing out to the stores in blind faith to make the purchase.

Hopefully, Amy's work still is evident enough to keep the fundamentals intact.

WinFonda

They're clearly not baseless if she's no longer with the company.

That Druckmann and Straley forced her out, is baseless. That Hennig didn't like TLOU DLC direction is baseless. It all reads like the kind of internet fan fiction that has depicted Naughty Dog in a false light ever since TLOU was announced. That they're two groups within the studio that don't like each other, that don't collaborate at all, and that one makes bad games and the other makes good games. It's a fictional dichotomy. And if it were even half way true, there would be a lot more people leaving Naughty Dog right now than just Amy.

hohoXD123

That's ridiculous, UC3 has plenty of fans. I still consider it one of the most enjoyable games on the system even if UC2 may have been better. How can you be surprised that there is outrage when such an important person in the gaming industry has left their job? It's laughable that people are trying to put a positive spin on this.

Goddamn i got spoiled on Left Behind.. should've played it on d1. :\

Same :(

TalonJH

Whenever we're dealing with anything from 4chan we always have to assume it's fake until proven otherwise, even if it sounds believable.

There are way too many talented trolls on that site to even consider anything from it "accurate."

I agree, I just didn't want to sound too aggressive.

Zen

Banned
A lot of people, certainly the majority of GAF on top of that, expressed disappointment with Uncharted 3. It's not a new thing that many people don't consider it up to the series standards.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hennig's points about the death of camaraderie seem very backwards to me.

Based on her work on the Uncharted series, and specifically the end of Uncharted 3, she has very romanticised, almost comic-book ideas about how writing should be. As we've seen from TLoU and the new Uncharted reveal, this clearly isn't the direction Naughty Dog is going in.

I'm glad Druckman is pushing Naughty Dog to explore darker, more dangerous and ultimately more honest themes in videogames.

I'm fine with them exploring darker ideas in some games that suit that tone, but uncharted isn't one of them IMO. Look at their past output - TLoU shouldn't define them as a studio

TalonJH

A lot of people, certainly the majority of GAF on top of that, expressed disappointment with Uncharted 3. It's not a new thing that many people don't consider it up to the series standards.

Disappointing, but not bad
in my opinion

hohoXD123

Is that why it came 6th in GAF's 2011 GOTY awards, above Batman: AC and Witcher 2? Or that it has a 92 metacritic? You're overrepresenting some people's opinions.

Sadly Sony is no longer interested in having their core teams focus on building new IPs. Which is why we have yet another Killzone and Infamous, more uncharted and last of us from ND, and while I can't say for certain I'm pretty damn sure that Sony Santa Monica killed their new IP team so they can put all their energy on God of War 4 (we will get confirmation soon enough on that).
You comments make no sense resogun, drive club are new ips, and we know that media mocule, Sony bend, and guerrilla games are all working on new ips plus the rumor of a brand new jrpg franchise being developed in japan something that's meant to rival final fantasy, Maybe SSM killed the new ip because the game wasn't turing out to be any good and instead of releasing a crappy product and damage there studios rep they decide to cut there losses remember it was the studio head that made this decision not shu, but we just don't know and can only guess about these type things and btw were only 6 months in to this cycle and you already jumping to conclusions just chill out man/ end tangent either way it sucks that Amy gone but uncharted 4 is in very capable and talented hands, Amy is a unique talent and she'll find work really quick or maybe she just burnt out and needs time to let the creative juices flow once more.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
That Druckmann and Straley forced her out, is baseless. That Hennig didn't like TLOU DLC direction is baseless. It all reads like the kind of internet fan fiction that has depicted Naughty Dog in a false light ever since TLOU was announced. That they're two groups within the studio that don't like each other, that don't collaborate at all, and that one makes bad games and the other makes good games. It's a fictional dichotomy. And if it were even half way true, there would be a lot more people leaving Naughty Dog right now than just Amy.

Yeah, this. If there was some massive upturning of game direction or a major internal conflict, more than one person would be gone.

TalonJH

I'm fine with them exploring darker ideas in some games that suit that tone, but uncharted isn't one of them IMO. Look at their past output - TLoU shouldn't define them as a studio

Agreed. I like how UC is this fun action movie and TLoU is a emotional dark thriller.

Sony teh doomed no new IP's forget about Knack,Driveclub and The order 1886 because they are just another(insert genre here) The PS4 should be renamed the indiestation 4 because thats the only thing they have shown where is (insert new IP's genre and studio name here)

Look mommy i can hyperbole

knack is a joke, driveclub is a generic racing sim, and we just went over the order 1886

I wonder her departure will cause more delays for UC4? I hope that's not the case. PS4 needs AAA exclusive for the momentum to carry on.
No, it just needs good games for the momentum to carry on. And some of them will incidentally be AAA games.

I'm actually more excited for Xrd than probably anything else hitting the system this year; been so long since I played GGXAC.

knack is a joke, driveclub is a generic racing sim, and we just went over the order 1886
Have you even played it, tho?

Amir0x

Banned
I never liked her work, but she was clearly an inspiration to many and a source of great joy for others still. Sad to see her go, especially as she was a prominent female in this industry and there's not enough of that anywhere. I'm sure she has a great future in this industry either way :)

TalonJH

You comments make no sense resogun, drive club are new ips, and we know that media mocule, Sony bend, and guerrilla games are all working on new ips plus the rumor of a brand new jrpg franchise being developed in japan something that's meant to rival final fantasy, Maybe SSM killed the new ip because the game wasn't turing out to be any good and instead of releasing a crappy product and damage there studios rep they decide to cut there losses remember it was the studio head that made this decision not shu, but we just don't know and can only guess about these type things and btw were only 6 months in to this cycle and you already jumping to conclusions just chill out man/ end tangent either way it sucks that Amy gone but uncharted 4 is in very capable and talented hands, Amy is a unique talent and she'll find work really quick or maybe she just burnt out and needs time to let the creative juices flow once more.

It's the same argument people make about the new systems not having any games. It's no games of their taste. It's selective inclusion.

Capella

You said that Sony was no longer interested in having their teams focus on new IPs and you where presented with evidence from several users that contradicts that. You're just moving goal posts now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom