• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An Intro to Fountain Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damaniel

Banned
Yay for fountain pens!

I have a Waterman Phileas that I bought about a decade ago. Excellent pen, especially when used with Noodler's permanent black ink (which does dry fast enough for lefties, and yes, some of us are. :) )

Sadly, I don't actually write out much by hand these days (awful handwriting, and my hands cramp easily, even with the reduced writing pressure needed by fountain pens), but my pen still works great!

Sera O

Banned
I love fountain pens. They are especially good when you draw/write a lot for the comfort factor as well as the kind of lines you can get. I'll see if I can unearth a post I made in an earlier pen thread that had some images of what I've got so far.

My constant-use ones are a Pelikan level 5, a Lamy safari, and a Pilot vanishing point.

Sera O

Banned
Found it. Here's what I had a while back, just the ones I use regularly.

Pilot Vanishing Point retractable, fine
31ocxG89EBL._AA300_.jpg

Pelikan Level 5, medium
-1506979707.jpg

Lamy Safari, fine (got a few of these in F and EF for different ink colours)
31D-jizcV5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Pilot M90, fine
top.jpg

My preferred way to fill them is by using the disposable cartridge and then refilling that from a bottle with an inkjet refilling syringe. Cheaper than buying new refills and more capacity than the convertors, where half of the assembly size is typically taken up with the plunger mechanism. Except for the Pelikan, which I use the most - the entire pen is an ink reservoir pretty much.

Grinchy

Banned
I now want a fountain pen. I'm also a big fan of mechanical pencils, so I look forward to that thread. The one I have now was like $30, which for a poor college student like myself is a lot to spend on a pencil, but I can't really do without a good mechanical pencil.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
My constant-use ones are a Pelikan level 5, a Lamy safari, and a Pilot vanishing point.
Holla. I've never tried that particular pen but Pelikan is awesome. I'm a huge fan.

I now want a fountain pen. I'm also a big fan of mechanical pencils, so I look forward to that thread. The one I have now was like $30, which for a poor college student like myself is a lot to spend on a pencil, but I can't really do without a good mechanical pencil.
Slightly OT, but out of curiosity...was it this one?

I've liked fountain pens for a while now. They've just really grown on me after trying them out. I started with a Lamy Safari (great pen to try and to keep). I have a Pilot Vanishing Point, Namiki Vanishing Point Raden, Pelikan of some sort with an italic cursive nib, and my favorite...Visconti Homo Sapiens. My inks are Pilot Iroshizuku, Waterman, and Lamy.

Son1x

We used those a lot in elementary school here in our country. High school not so much anymore. I always liked fountain pens. Makes my writing 5 times nicer just by using them.

Sera O

Banned
Holla. I've never tried that particular pen but Pelikan is awesome. I'm a huge fan.

Definitely - I have tried other Pelikans and they usually feel amazing to write with. That one's actually the first FP I ever had (got it from my dad as a gift at some point in the '90s) and it's just as good now as it was then. I use it daily, have never once cleaned it (because I have no idea how to open it up). Despite this, it has never dried between use, lasts weeks on a fill, and I think the nib is the smoothest stainless I have ever used.

I see you've got some Noodler's ink up there in your pic! I've had some issues using it in my Japanese pens, but it's great in safaris and I love the colours. I have an eggplant purple and a turquoise going and I will probably still have these bottles looking pretty much full ten years from now. Other than that I use pelikan black, and I have a bottle of montblanc - nothing special except it's really thin-running and works well in the pilots.

What if my handwriting isn't neat? Is it still worth getting a fountain pen??

Writing with a fountain pen can train people to write neater, which is (I think) why some countries use FPs in lower grades. It might help!

Kientin

I got a Lamy Safari a couple months back with a very fine nib and I love it. The scraping is therapeutic and the way it writes is great. My main issue is the ink consistency, sometimes I go through a quick dry spell as I'm writing and that's slightly frustrating. I really would love to try a medium nib sometime.

Swapped the cartridge out for a convertible one and using some Noodler's ink with it, because bleh blue ink for writing.

Grinchy

Banned
Slightly OT, but out of curiosity...was it this one?

Nope, but it is similar. I've had it for like 3 or 4 years now (can't believe I haven't lost it yet) and I can't recall at the moment what kind it is. But that one looks very nice. It has an eraser like mine, which is my only complaint about the nice mechanical pencils I've come across so far: the erasers on them suck and it seems like you need a separate one.

But like you say, this is getting off topic and encroaching on the mechanical pencil thread lol

Wow, great thread. Now I'm going to buy a fountain pen and work on my handwriting. Handwritten notes make a big impression. I honestly don't think I've ever written with one.

Anastasia

I love fountain pens. I just wish I had more opportunities to use them. I only have one right now; a Monteverde Intima in Ivory Pearl, which I purchased a few years ago. It writes beautifully, and is really well made.

As for other brands, I have always wanted a Sailor pen. That will most likely be the next fountain pen I get.

Herne

We used only fountain pens in primary school - pens were banned. When we got to secondary then we didn't use them at all. I remember the pen I got at the age of eight or so lasted me for years, was still working as of five years ago before it was thrown out in the trash with so much other, old stuff. It gave the same result as the Plumix in the op.

I can't say that it improved my writing or anything though, since in school my handwriting was terrible and since leaving I haven't had the need to write anything but my signature and the occasional address.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
I used to write with a fountain pen...I don't really remember much about it.

Also, does anyone else remember that one fountain pen infomercial where some dude stabs a tin can with one?

Pyccko

Came expecting calligraphy gifs. Slightly disappointed.

67ykcvY.gif

Always wanted to get into fountain pens. Made a huge mess with one when I was younger, never got around to trying it again.

Great thread. I used Pilot Varsities in college, then I got a locally-made ~$50 fountain pen (medium nib, I think) as a graduation present. The OP makes me really, really want a Pilot Plumix.

Too bad my handwriting is awful no matter what I do. Any quick and dirty tips for improving handwriting, specifically while using a fountain pen?

Silkworm

That is not a fountain pen and this is not a thread for SAVAGES.

:p

Someone (else) should do a thread for ballpoints/rollerballs!

There was this cool thread way back when about all kinds of pens http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=487183&highlight=pen Your thread sort of reminded me of that one though this one is more focused on fountain pens :)

And here's the movie I linked to back then in that thread showing off the Namiki Falcon Collection Fountain Pen with a custom ground nib (still want one too).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRebkWHsHC0&feature=player_embedded

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
There was this cool thread way back when about all kinds of pens http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=487183&highlight=pen Your thread sort of reminded me of that one though this one is more focused on fountain pens :)

And here's the movie I linked to back then in that thread showing off the Namiki Falcon Collection Fountain Pen with a custom ground nib (still want one too).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRebkWHsHC0&feature=player_embedded

Damn, the really flexy nib is super cool!

Here was my handwriting advice from a recent thread:

(I had really atrocious handwriting until I dropped a rock on my hand and spent a year getting it back to normal-ish)

I got a Lamy Safari a couple months back with a very fine nib and I love it. The scraping is therapeutic and the way it writes is great. My main issue is the ink consistency, sometimes I go through a quick dry spell as I'm writing and that's slightly frustrating. I really would love to try a medium nib sometime.

Swapped the cartridge out for a convertible one and using some Noodler's ink with it, because bleh blue ink for writing.

How hard are you pushing? I've never had my extra fine not keep up with ink flow unless I was close to empty. You might be pushing too hard which is making it difficult to keep up.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Came expecting calligraphy gifs. Slightly disappointed.
Not a gif, but I was trying to develop a fancy correspondence hand way the hell back with a similarly flexible pen:

tumblr_lu2g7m7VPR1qz86k5o1_r1_1280.jpg

To be honest, I think I'd rather have a music nib these days. Far more practical for everyday use, requires far less concentration, still shows the crazy beautiful shading that makes lines put down with a fountain pen so appealing.

Found it. Here's what I had a while back, just the ones I use regularly.

My preferred way to fill them is by using the disposable cartridge and then refilling that from a bottle with an inkjet refilling syringe. Cheaper than buying new refills and more capacity than the convertors, where half of the assembly size is typically taken up with the plunger mechanism. Except for the Pelikan, which I use the most - the entire pen is an ink reservoir pretty much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEdJyrSEsMc

Silkworm

Damn, the really flexy nib is super cool!

Here was my handwriting advice from a recent thread:

(I had really atrocious handwriting until I dropped a rock on my hand and spent a year getting it back to normal-ish)

Yeah the flexible nib is pretty dang cool, but I'm sure it's not exactly cheap. ( see: http://www.nibs.com/NamikiFalconPage.htm ) :-\

Cool advice :) However I'd still like to get back to writing cursive correctly. I used to have really good cursive penmanship but now it's crap and I write with print style since as you say there is less chance of misreading it. I can't even correctly do cursive with my name, gah. Anyway, I did get a fairly inexpensive calligraphy set for this past Christmas as a present and was thinking of giving it a try. I used to fool around with calligraphy back when I was younger and thought I'd like to try it again hence the present, but I just haven't found the time to see it through yet (also would help if I didn't have so much clutter and had a nice clear space to sit down and write at) ).

If only fountain pens would magically give me handwriting as good as the ones in this thread. :(

Always loved the look of fountain pens, but I just end up making a mess and writing half the speed I normally would.

tm24

Oh man, im getting some of these for my creative writing friends on campus. They love pens

Can't wait for the mechanical pencil thread

terrisus

So, Bagels, you handsome devil, I have horrible handwriting.
I mean, absolutely horrible.
(Alright, not as bad as some of the Mathematics professors that I have, but still, it's pretty bad)

It's still going to look lousy even with a fountain pen, isn't it?

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
So, Bagels, you handsome devil, I have horrible handwriting.
I mean, absolutely horrible.
(Alright, not as bad as some of the Mathematics professors that I have, but still, it's pretty bad)

It's still going to look lousy even with a fountain pen, isn't it?

Flattery will get you everywhere.

A fountain pen isn't going to magically make your handwriting better, yeah. It might help, though. I find it hard to write as neatly with a ballpoint as with a pencil or fountain pen. If you're going to learn to write more neatly, I think it definitely helps to use something that delivers more "feel" between pen and paper. Ballpoints are just kind of...slippery? They're great for writing really fast, which is what you don't want to do if you want to make it neater.

terrisus

A fountain pen isn't going to magically make your handwriting better, yeah. It might help, though. I find it hard to write as neatly with a ballpoint as with a pencil or fountain pen. If you're going to learn to write more neatly, I think it definitely helps to use something that delivers more "feel" between pen and paper. Ballpoints are just kind of...slippery? They're great for writing really fast, which is what you don't want to do if you want to make it neater.

I've tried using them once or twice, but, I had trouble getting them to write at all. Applying/not applying the correct amount of pressure, the angle I was holding it at (oh, I also don't hold a pen correctly either), etc.

I like the idea of being fancy, and an effete, snobbish bore, but, I don't think I can at this point.

When I was doing my Bachelor's in Mathematics, the focus was prety much on writing as fast as possible to copy down everything the professor was writing before it got erased to be replaced with more writing.

But, then, as a licensed Elementary teacher, whenever I actually get a job, one of the things I may have to be doing is teaching students to write correctlt (1st, 2nd), or write cursive correctly (3rd, 4th). So, that will be quite the adventure.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I've tried using them once or twice, but, I had trouble getting them to write at all. Applying/not applying the correct amount of pressure, the angle I was holding it at (oh, I also don't hold a pen correctly either), etc.

I like the idea of being fancy, and an effete, snobbish bore, but, I don't think I can at this point.

When I was doing my Bachelor's in Mathematics, the focus was prety much on writing as fast as possible to copy down everything the professor was writing before it got erased to be replaced with more writing.

But, then, as a licensed Elementary teacher, whenever I actually get a job, one of the things I may have to be doing is teaching students to write correctlt (1st, 2nd), or write cursive correctly (3rd, 4th). So, that will be quite the adventure.

I'm sorry for saying it over and over, but try a Pilot Varsity. They're basically idiot-proof. And by "idiot," I mean "people with bad handwriting," I guess?

Rich!

You know what? I'm not sure I've even seen a fountain pen in the last 12 years, let alone used one.

As anyone here who grew up in the UK can attest to, fountain pens were required at school here from the ages of 8 or so up until secondary school.

I remember the time where me and a mate at school flicked fountain pen ink repeatedly all over this kid near us, and when the teacher came into class, he shouted at the victim and gave him detention for getting ink all over himself. Good times.

Hazmat

I'm sorry for saying it over and over, but try a Pilot Varsity. They're basically idiot-proof. And by "idiot," I mean "people with bad handwriting," I guess?

I did this about a year ago. I don't think my handwriting is any better, but it looks better, if that makes any sense.

It might be because I'm just now noticing it, but all my writing in my notebook is really slanted to the right. Rough, I guess?

Movement

Ah! I really love your writing threads bagels. The last pencil thread persuaded me to buy $40 worth of different pencils. Hello fountain pens...

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I kind of can't imagine better handwriting than this.

It's something that I can't do, but god-fucking-damn.

Jesus. Flatter a guy, why don't you.

This is, legitimately, my only real talent. I'm really proud of my handwriting because it was always so awful as a kid. It didn't get good until college. It's still odd to get compliments on it.

My handwriting is a lot better with a fountain pen and my handwriting with a ball point pen has actually gotten worse. If you use extra fine or fine tips like I do it feels like you have more control and skinnier lines so it's a lot harder to have your letters blur together. I know for a lot of people though, extra fine is heresy when using a fountain pen.

DJ_Lae

I'm looking forward to the mechanical pencil thread too. This one I have nothing to contribute as I've never used a fountain pen before.

I will, however, see if I can find a Varsity. Or Vpen as they seem to be called here. I assume they're the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom