• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An Intro to Fountain Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drpunch

Neo Member
Awesome thread. I think I'll try a fountain pen out, see if I can write even a tiny bit as beautiful as you do.

Leynos

I've always wanted to use a fountain pen, but have never given it a serious try. I write a lot of contracts with carbon copies, and I doubt that a fountain pen would exert enough pressure to work well for me.

Kientin

How hard are you pushing? I've never had my extra fine not keep up with ink flow unless I was close to empty. You might be pushing too hard which is making it difficult to keep up.

Hmm, you might be on to something. I never put down an extreme amount of pressure, but I might be overdoing it slightly. Kind of a habit after I first got it and I was getting used to the thing. I'll play around with that and see how it goes. Thanks.

Iph

Banned
I'm a mechanical pencil kind of girl- as for pens, I prefer my space pen but will pick up any ol' fountain pen when my space pen runs out of ink and I need a pen. I only use "normal" pencils when doodling/drawing (or pens).

Yay for another writing utensil thread! <3

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I had a Lamy Studio for a while:

fountain_L67_studio.jpg

And then someone stole it. I was pissed. I'll never buy another one simply because it was $100 for a pen that someone swiped off of my desk at work. He's no longer with us of course, but it really burned me and made me angry.

I was taught cursive handwriting with a fountain pen and during my early school years I would regularly use one. I was actually thinking about getting back into the habit of using one.

Chipotle

I have terrible handwriting and using a fountain pen really helps. But I hold my pen in a strange way (I kind of curl my hand round it, like how left handed people write but with my right hand) and so the ink always smudges. Is there any solution for me apart from learning how to write properly?

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Is there a variant for lefties too? I can't imagine writing with this without making a mess.

Here's some articles on lefties using fountain pens:

http://www.nibs.com/Left-hand writers.htm
http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/ttp/left.htm

I've always wanted to use a fountain pen, but have never given it a serious try. I write a lot of contracts with carbon copies, and I doubt that a fountain pen would exert enough pressure to work well for me.

Probably not? If you go with an extra fine nib, you might get away with it? I'm a fairly heavy-handed writer, and the Plumix does well with a lot of pressure. The nib is quite stiff.

I had a Lamy Studio for a while:

fountain_L67_studio.jpg

And then someone stole it. I was pissed. I'll never buy another one simply because it was $100 for a pen that someone swiped off of my desk at work. He's no longer with us of course, but it really burned me and made me angry.

Okay, so there's the ultimate downside to using a really nice pen. Losing a $10 pen is minor bummer; losing a $300 heirloom is a real kick in the pants.

I will say that, theft aside, I lose far fewer fountain pens than anything else. I've gotten used to bosses bumming pens and pencils off of me and then just quietly not returning them (and I hate sitting there obsessed with asking for my pencil back). But if someone asks to borrow you pen and you hand them a fountain pen, people usually just go "Oh. Err...Hmmm..." and then give it back. It's pretty great.

I have terrible handwriting and using a fountain pen really helps. But I hold my pen in a strange way (I kind of curl my hand round it, like how left handed people write but with my right hand) and so the ink always smudges. Is there any solution for me apart from learning how to write properly?

I know what you mean - I had to get around a really weird writing position after I broke my hand. I had to hold a pen between thumb and ring finger. Try it - it's fucked up. It was kinda hard to go back, actually.

You might look at the articles for lefties, I posted above. Those might be useful. The other solution is, yeah, you'll need to get new muscle memory with a better hand position.

I do believe that people can fix their writing. I spent my whole life getting the lowest possible scores n penmanship - it was the subject of every parent-teacher conference ever. I broke my hand at 18, a few weeks before starting at university. It took a year to rehabilitate it, during which my handwriting changed dramatically. Now, I get crazy compliments on it all the time.

I'm trying to think up some better tips. I actually thought of a few things I did along the way. I'll put those in another post.

I got a fountain pen that was on clearance a while ago and started toying around with calligraphy:

I still kinda suck, but it's fun.

That is really beautiful! I really want to learn actual calligraphy.

CFMOORE!

silly question, but i am about to jump into this headfirst since reading the OP and I am going to pull the trigger on a Lamy Safari but was wondering if the pen will come with ink in it or should i order cartridges right now?

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
silly question, but i am about to jump into this headfirst since reading the OP and I am going to pull the trigger on a Lamy Safari but was wondering if the pen will come with ink in it or should i order cartridges right now?

They usually come with just a cartridge or two, so picking up some refills is probably a good idea.

Rory

Banned
I love fountain pens. Saved up my paper route money some 25 years ago and got me a Pelikan M400 that''s still with me.

Too bad i still have horrendous handwriting.

1uJkcF5.jpg

Mikado

We had to use fountain pens at school in France in the late 80's. If we made a mistake they had these sodium bisulphite ink-dissolver markers that would erase the ink, but then you couldn't write in that area again except with a special marker (usually on the other end of the eraser pen).

Wthermans

Banned
I have horrible penmanship and would have a fountain leak all over my pocket but I sincerely wish we lived in a time when fountain pens and pocket watches were far more common.

Glass Rebel

Thanks for making this thread. I actually saw you posting about it somewhere else and was about to PM you :lol

As a future teacher I really need to up my game when it comes to handwriting. It's not terrible by all means but it could look so much better. I ordered the Lamy Safari from Amazon Germany, hope it's here asap :)

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Some thoughts on improving your handwriting

The three big keys to writing more neatly are:

1.) Slow down. I write quite quickly now, but being forced to slow down was the real key to improving my writing. Slow down while you're trying to improve. You'll build muscle memory and you'll be able to write quickly again in time.

2.) Buy a decent pen or pencil. Spend a dollar or two on a nice wooden pencil (find the lead hardness that feels right), grab a Pilot Plumix ($7), Pilot Varisty ($3), Platinum Preppy ($3), or a decent mechanical pencil (working on the thread now; <$10). You want something that will give you some feedback between pen/pencil and paper (grab a decent notepad, too, for a few bucks - thinking more about a thread for that, too!). That's my problem with ballpoints - I can't write as well because they tend to slide around too much on the page.

You want something that feels good in your hand. If it's nice to use, you'll find yourself writing more.

3.) Practice. I never really did pages and pages of individual letters. You can do that if you'd like, but I find it most helpful/fun to keep a sketchbook on my computer desk and write down song lyrics/quotes/lists of games, music, etc. I'm interested in. It's a very natural way to practice your writing and drawing.

I was thinking more about how my writing changed and Pau mentioned to me that she really loves the way I write the letter "f". That's my favorite letter to write and I currently have 5 different ways to write it. So Pau's nice comment got me thinking...

The fourth over, my really loopy f, is the one that people always point out to me. And that was the first letter that made me think, "Wow, my writing is starting to look kinda cool..." I actually started writing it that way completely by accident. I press fairly hard when I write, and my handwriting used to be more compact. After I broke my hand, and was struggling to write, I couldn't keep my lines as tight, so I'd end up erasing lots of letters when my hand would slip. One day, I made something like my first really loopy f and I thought, "okay, that's kind of fun..."

I think that's honestly the way to get started. If you're jotting down things all day, and trying out different ways to make certain letters (I do a Coptic 'e' now; I'm not totally consistent in how I write many letters, but that's the way I've made my writing distinctive. I replaced my more linear 'Y' with a loopy one fairly recently, and I think it looks really cool. Loopy letters look really nice with an italic nib pen. The loops show the thick-to-thin really well...), you'll probably find that first one that makes you smile. Then you'll start making your new, distinctive 'W,' or whatever, and you're off to the races. From there, you'll pick out more letters to experiment with, that will anchor your new writing.

I still try out new ways to write things all the time. I have a few letters that I don't think I write as well, and I've found ways to improve them over time.

For me, finding a way to make one distinctive letter, one that felt really nice to write, was sort of the big breakthrough. And it's still the letter that people point out to me as looking really cool. The process of improving your handwriting is indeed a process. You have to unlearn really ingrained habits and it all takes time. You won't go from chicken scratches to illuminated manuscript right away, nor will your writing smoothly evolve all at once. Play around with different letters and you'll find one that points the way to a new style. And when you find that letter that just feels really great to write, it'll make you want to write more, so you'll get even better, and find more letters that seem kinda cool, and so on...

LuffyZoro

Man, you're making me get a fountain pen, thanks a lot.

2.) Buy a decent pen or pencil. Spend a dollar or two on a nice wooden pencil (find the lead hardness that feels right), grab a Pilot Plumix ($7), Pilot Varisty ($3), Platinum Preppy ($3), or a decent mechanical pencil (working on the thread now; <$10). You want something that will give you some feedback between pen/pencil and paper (grab a decent notepad, too, for a few bucks - thinking more about a thread for that, too!). That's my problem with ballpoints - I can't write as well because they tend to slide around too much on the page.

Hope the next thread comes soon, I need some more stuff to add to my JetPens cart to get free shipping.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Man, you're making me get a fountain pen, thanks a lot.

Hope the next thread comes soon, I need some more stuff to add to my JetPens cart to get free shipping.

Working on it right now! :D

edit: it might be a little bit. Getting all the links together is taking time and I've been distracted by the stupid real world.

Sorry! I hope the wait will be worth it.

Miker

Just wanted to chime in and say that I have a Lamy Safari on the way thanks to this thread. Very excited about its arrival, and I intend to use it to improve my handwriting, which hasn't changed or improved since second grade.

sirap

This is what I'm rocking.

Lamy 2000. Been with me for half a decade and hasn't failed me once. No leakages, no fuss, easy reload mechanism. One of the smoothest pens I've used, and I have a shitload of them.

terrisus

I have horrible penmanship and would have a fountain leak all over my pocket but I sincerely wish we lived in a time when fountain pens and pocket watches were far more common.

Hey now, nothing stopping anyone from getting a pocket watch.

I have one, and, it's far more classy to use than pulling out a cellphone to check the time or something (although I'm sure wristwatch-GAF would say wristwatches are clasy too, but still)

Ludovico

Bagels is one persuasive guy...

I've never really felt bad about my handwriting, but as a prospective teacher, I can't say no to a new
non-pretentious
way of writing. I've always sworn by my G-2's, but Bagels has me convinced.

Ballpoint G-2 07 on the top,
Varsity fountain on the bottom.

I really didn't know what to expect, I thought the nib would eat into the paper, but I actually ended up having to use more force than I do for the G-2. There were some points, such as dotting i's, where I had to go bad and force the nib in. I'm sure the visual flourishes come with practice, but I'm just a practical guy, so we'll see how that goes.

sirap

I really didn't know what to expect, I thought the nib would eat into the paper, but I actually ended up having to use more force than I do for the G-2. There were some points, such as dotting i's, where I had to go bad and force the nib in. I'm sure the visual flourishes come with practice, but I'm just a practical guy, so we'll see how that goes.

If you can afford it, get a Lamy Safari. You'll find the experience waaay better than whatever cheap fountain pen you can find off the shelf.

I've been using the Lamy 2000 for years and that thing just glides. No pressure needed at all.

Ludovico

If you can afford it, get a Lamy Safari. You'll find the experience waaay better than whatever cheap fountain pen you can find off the shelf.

I've been using the Lamy 2000 for years and that thing just glides. No pressure needed at all.

Yeah, I'm looking at them on Amazon right now, about $40 for the pen, a converter cartridge, and a thing of ink...

Does the nib open up at all, like in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRebkWHsHC0&feature=player_embedded

And I'm experimenting with the Varsity a bit more, I can change the weight of the lines a little, but the angle/style of the line is still too subtle for me to really say it's better than gel at this point.

sirap

There isn't quite as much flex, but it does open up. I have a couple Safari's and they're awesome. I really like them.

I'm looking at getting a Lamy 2000, think it's time I stepped up a bit.

Do it man, you won't regret it. The refill mechanism alone makes it worth the purchase.

Water

I have the Lamy 2000 pencil and it's great. No real justification to get a fountain pen, but if I was looking to do that, I'd probably try different nib types on cheap pens first and then get the 2000 with whatever nib I turned out to like best.

Bagels! <3

I feel like using a fountain pen would just cause me to end up smearing ink all the time. How quickly does the ink dry on receipt paper or other slightly more glossy papers?

sirap

Bagels! <3

I feel like using a fountain pen would just cause me to end up smearing ink all the time. How quickly does the ink dry on receipt paper or other slightly more glossy papers?

Just tried this on receipt paper, took 3 seconds for my signature to dry. Not sure if this is dependent on the ink you use, I'm using Lamy ink.

Ludovico

Another question on ink:
I carry a Pilot G-2 and pocket composition notebook everywhere, never had a problem with the ink rubbing or smearing once it dries (which doesn't take long at all, either).

If using Lamy or Noodler, will I have issues with the notebooks being in my pocket throughout the day? Same reason I rarely use pencil, I can't stand faded or smeared writing.

Just tried this on receipt paper, took 3 seconds for my signature to dry. Not sure if this is dependent on the ink you use, I'm using Lamy ink.

Usually dependent on the ink on the paper you're writing on. You can get like instant dry ink but you might have to service your pen more often since it has a tendency to clog the pen after a while.

Another question on ink:
I carry a Pilot G-2 and pocket composition notebook everywhere, never had a problem with the ink rubbing or smearing once it dries (which doesn't take long at all, either).

If using Lamy or Noodler, will I have issues with the notebooks being in my pocket throughout the day? Same reason I rarely use pencil, I can't stand faded or smeared writing.

I use a Pilot G2 (07) all the time as well, as it is the heaviest ink I've tried that actually manages to dry without smearing. I think I may pick up a box of these Pilot Varsity pens, though, just to give them a try.

Ludovico

I use a Pilot G2 (07) all the time as well, as it is the heaviest ink I've tried that actually manages to dry without smearing. I think I may pick up a box of these Pilot Varsity pens, though, just to give them a try.

Yeah, 07's been my go to for years now. Using the cheap Varsity 3 pack, it says medium tip and the lines are really bold, but a little too thick for me. Like, fatter than the G2 07.

About to order the Safari, can't decide between fine or extra fine....

Zuly

Fantastic thread. Subbed.

I've been meaning to purchase a fountain pen but they're either hard to come by here or ridiculously expensive. I used to have lovely handwriting but after I started college, it went to hell due to note taking.

I use a Pilot Petit1. Writing with a fountain pen does automatically improve your handwriting. I sometimes wish my handwriting were more interesting; I decided early on I was going to write like a comic book letterer, so it's been all-caps for 40+ years.

Thanks for these threads, Bagels. I'm looking forward to Part 3 and would definitely enjoy a thread about paper. I love going to jetpens.com and making huge wish lists, then throwing a couple things my way after I place an order for my daughter, who's known at school for having all the cool/weird Japanese school supplies.

Do it man, you won't regret it. The refill mechanism alone makes it worth the purchase.

Yeah, refilling the cartridge for my Safari can be messy sometimes, and it really doesn't hold all that much. A couple days of intense note taking and it's time for a refill. I'll start saving for the 2000, which means I'll probably get it late next month.

MR4001

Silly question, but does writing cursive with a fountain pen feel like heaven?
Yes.

What's currently in my pencil case (and pocket):

KUhbBNG.jpg

Forgive the image (and post) quality, please: cold has me feeling more than odd... :| [Coughs]

WARNING: Safaris are addictive - the special editions even more so! (I've, like, 15...)

Meteorain

This thread came to the first page at an uncanny time. I was recently looking to get back into the use of a fountain pen, which I have used ever so sparingly since my time at secondary school where it was mandatory (England!). During that time I used your basic "Parker Pen".

Now I recently posted in the handwriting thread and would like to know what sort of fountain pen would match my writing style. I have a fairly italicised spidery form of handwriting that I use the most (when I'm not jotting down notes as fast as possible).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86995582&postcount=103

What sort of fountain pen is suitable for that sort of tall italicised form of writing? When I'm "trying" to write, I don't use much pressure, but over time I can be a bit forceful.

P.S. That Pilot M90 looks absolutely beautiful. It's like a space-ship turned pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom