• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An Irrational Fear of a Black Invasion: China

rtr26y9n-e1490850563580.jpg
https://qz.com/945053/china-has-an-...ringing-drugs-crime-and-interracial-marriage/

In March, amid the pomp of China's annual rubber-stamp parliament meetings in Beijing, a politician proudly shared with reporters his proposal on how to ”solve the problem of the black population in Guangdong." The province is widely known in China to have many African migrants.

”Black brothers often travel in droves; they are out at night out on the streets, nightclubs, and remote areas. They engage in drug trafficking, harassment of women, and fighting, which seriously disturbs law and order in Guangzhou... Africans have a high rate of AIDS and the Ebola virus that can be transmitted via body fluids... If their population [keeps growing], China will change from a nation-state to an immigration country, from a yellow country to a black-and-yellow country."

On social media, the Chinese response has been overwhelmingly supportive, with many commenters echoing Pan's fears.

More to read in the article.

dramatis

I've been hearing my mom chat about this often on her phone calls, which is really stupid because 1) she lives in America and 2) it's not like Chinese men couldn't possibly be doing the same "drug trafficking, harassment of women, and fighting, which seriously disturbs law and order in Guangzhou" garbage they're accusing black guys of doing.

If China is going to dive deep into investing in Africa then naturally there will be international exchange between the continent and the country, and that includes people.

Gorillaz

China cant have it's cake and eat it too. They are heavily invested in a few territories in Africa. Opening the door to international relations and business is a 2 way street

Also lmao at blaming all that shit on only African immigrants

ZOONAMI

Xenophobic culture is xenophobic. Although China has been getting less xenophobic over the last several decades imo. So a turn in the wrong direction here.

Ovid

China as ts it's cake and eat it too. They are heavily invested in a few territories in Africa. Opening the door to internstion relations and business is a 2 way street

I was thinking the same thing.

Quick to "invest" in Africa but hate when Africans are actually in their country.

Fuck off.

Literally what the fuck did we do to have the entire Earth go "Yeah, you guys can get fucked"

Easiest way to control your population is to make sure they have someone to blame for their problems in life, and you definitely don't want them blaming you, the politicians/rulers.

What would be an absolutely fascinating article is what do countries in Africa do? Uganda in the 1970s blamed immigrant Indians and chinese and kicked them all out. Many other similar examples all across Africa, including of course the worst of them: Tutsi and Hutu in Rwanda. Two groups of people that for anyone outside the region would be indistinguishable from each other.

So China is okay sending their people to African nations to build bridges and shit and expand their business (side note everything about China's business endeavors in African nations is some new age Colonization) but Black people visiting China they have a problem with?

I'm not even surprised.

Cels

However, his mixed-race son often comes home unhappy because of bullying at school. Despite speaking fluent Mandarin, his classmates do not accept him as Chinese. They like to shout out, “He’s so dark!”

feelsbadman

psaman17

Banned
I have news for yall if u think this is just china. East asian countries hate foreigners..... Unless you're white then thats cool.

So to add to the points already raised about how fucking dumb this is...

The ebola virus? What? Was there even a single case in China back when the West African epidemic broke out?

I think you have to think of China as 100 years behind the western world.

They are currently having their "Industrial Revolution"

Many laws, ethics and moral legislative practices that are used in the western world such as legalisation of homosexuality, animal rights, race laws, civil rights have only been enforced for the last 50 years.

Remember America, only 50 years ago you had segregation!

Middle class are becoming more and more in China, meaning more and more of the population will receive higher education.

from a yellow country to a black-and-yellow country

got the new national anthem ready

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UePtoxDhJSw
I think you have to think of China as 100 years behind the western world.

They are currently having their "Industrial Revolution"

Many laws, ethics and moral legislative practices that are used in the western world such as legalisation of homosexuality, animal rights, race laws, civil rights have only been enforced for the last 50 years.

Remember America, only 50 years ago you had segregation!

Middle class are becoming more and more in China, meaning more and more of the population will receive higher education.

this is not how these things work

stop doing apologia for racism

I have news for yall if u think this is just china. East asian countries hate foreigners..... Unless you're white then thats cool.

Don't some of these countries even have preferential treatment of their own citizens if they are lighter skinned? Feel like I heard or read that somewhere.

Dali

What about Stephen Marbury?
entertainment-2011-05-stephon-marbury-stephon-marbury_628.jpg

Or does $$$ cancel out AIDS and Ebola.
He's not African for starters. The politician seemed to specifically be speaking on migrants from Africa. I know plenty of black (American) people that dislike/distrust Africans. Doesn't make it right and doesnt mean china is happy to have other black people. Just pointing out there is a difference.

Edit: the article even has an anecdote from an American that basically says Chinese people treat him like one of the good ones (presumably because he's not African).

A country of bees?

Black and yellow is actually a really good color combination. China is missing out.

More seriously though I'm sorry that so many people are afraid of ethnic Africans. When you have to dress like Steve Urkel to appear non-threatening in many areas of the world things are fucked.

got the new national anthem ready

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UePtoxDhJSw

this is not how these things work

stop doing apologia for racism

Its not an apology for racism at all.

Simply saying that racism stems from ignorance and poor education, you have a figures like that are quoted in that article, you have to question how educated is the population of China, i say that the majority are poorly educated and that the majority are poor themselves.

Imm0rt4l

Literally what the fuck did we do to have the entire Earth go "Yeah, you guys can get fucked"
When we became black we essentially became the foil by which others gauge their humanity which skews towards whiteness.

Anti-blackness is global, cuz blackness is anti-human.

Top Bottom