• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BHM: Attrocities against black people in the name of "science and medicine"[Graphic]

Status
Not open for further replies.
mSQFEP8.png

Charlotte, NC - A child as young as nine years old. A 21-year-old mother of six who, a social worker complained, “made no effort to curb her sexual desires.” A woman who, the state’s official Eugenics Board worried, “wears men’s clothing all [the] time.” People considered “feeble-minded” on the basis of dubious testing.

The targets of that board’s 45-year reign, from 1929 to 1974, were disproportionately black and female, and almost universally poor. They included victims of rape and incest, women who were already mothers – and then their daughters, too. The state’s remedy for all of them: Forced or coerced sterilization.

“These people were dehumanized,” said Latoya Adams, whose aunt, Deborah Blackmon, was sterilized under the state’s eugenics law. “They treated them like animals.”

Blackmon was among the last to be sterilized, in 1972. The court documents Adams has since obtained read,

Code:
“Final diagnoses: Mental retardation, severe.

Eugenic sterilization.

Total abdominal hysterectomy.”

Blackmon was only 14.

Let that seep in slowly.

http://www.msnbc.com/all/eugenic-sterilization-victims-belated-justice

For those new to this, I encourage you to listen to this short 4-minute NPR segment.

http://www.npr.org/2011/06/22/137347548/n-c-considers-paying-forced-sterilization-victims

Just go, GAF.

Air

Banned
Probably one of the most intense threads I've read. I can't really even verbalize my disgust and disappointment.

I recommend that everyone read through at least parts of Medical Apartheid. The experimentation done on women in particular was shocking. Cutting on slave women with no anesthesia of any kind. Cutting off reproductive organs for science.

OP, don't forget about the FORCED STERILIZATION, whose hearings only recently concluded..

And people wonder why black folk seem to have permanent PTSD.

edit: you can get the book at your local library.

holy fucking shit at that one guy advocating forced sterilization in that thread

I can't blame black folks who do not trust medicine and science today those are some made for horror shit :(

my Sickle Cell needs that CRISPR-cas-9 edit tho so I got to fight for some science in my community to end this shit I live with

thanks for the education OP

Thanks for the info OP. I never realized how much of this stuff wasnt taught in school. All the BHM threads have been fascinating reads and very sobering.

Geist-

I can't tell you guys enough how much I respect these BHM threads. Seriously eye opening.

And honestly, I really feel like I need to do something. I don't think I'll be able to live with myself if I just keep coasting along in my life, too apathetic and ignorant to do anything that would make a difference.

But what the fuck can I do? I don't fucking know and it's killing me. :-(

I can't tell you guys enough how much I respect these BHM threads. Seriously eye opening.

And honestly, I really feel like I need to do something. I don't think I'll be able to live with myself if I just keep coasting along in my life, too apathetic and ignorant to do anything that would make a difference.

But what the fuck can I do? I don't fucking know and it's killing me. :-(
If you have kids, just dont whitewash history. I think the Germans have done a much better job confronting the sins of their past then America has, by the way. They were obviously forced to confront their evil in a more devastating and traumatic manner, with their country being destroyed ,war crimes trials for the top leaders and reparation payments for Holocaust victims. It was undeniable the Nazi regime brought catastrophe to the Germans, so they had to have a national dialogue about their crimes.
Thats never happened in America.

Brakke

Banned
Always love a good thorough thread like this. Appreciate the work, OP. Popped a bunch of tabs for reading over the next day or two.

ThisGuy

I need a drink. Thanks for spreading this information. I've shared some of this before. Looks like I'll be doing more of that.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
America was evil

How America's psychologists ended up endorsing torture
APA psychologists did indeed work with officials from the Defense Department and the CIA to facilitate the torture of detainees. This involved issuing loose ethical guidelines that endorsed existing DoD interrogation policies and permitted psychologists to participate at Guantanamo Bay and elsewhere—unlike their colleagues in the field of psychiatry, who refused to back the government’s evolving interrogation tactics. Though the APA’s policies adhered to US law, they violated medical ethics.
Who needs ethics?

At least it's a reversal from psychiatrists being the big baddie.

Hell couldn't possibly be large enough to store all human vileness.

Interesting thing about religion, that. I'm pretty sure all these folks were mostly good church-going, god-fearin' southerns. People can delude themselves into believing anything given enough time, space and opportunity.

If there is a hell, the majority of several generations of white Americans are hot and thirsty right now. I wonder how that thought affects the minds of their ancestors today, in particular those who have some religions affiliation and some level of faith. like, "damn every generation of my family from my grandfather back are prolly in hell. whew." Maybe that's why people would rather pretend these things never happened and focus on exceptionalism. Full head in sand technique.

Interesting thing about religion, that. I'm pretty sure all these folks were mostly good church-going, god-fearin' southerns. People can delude themselves into believing anything given enough time, space and opportunity.

If there is a hell, the majority of several generations of white Americans are hot and thirsty right now. I wonder how that thought affects the minds of their ancestors today, in particular those who have some religions affiliation and some level of faith. like, "damn every generation of my family from my grandfather back are prolly in hell. whew." Maybe that's why people would rather pretend these things never happened and focus on exceptionalism. Full head in sand technique.

I tend to believe most people that practice religion, well Christianity in America, view it as attendign a social club. You're either a part of the club or you're not. Very few even come close to trying to practice any of it in truth. If that were the case, we'd tackle homelessness, poverty and a myriad of other issues. That's not what happens though. You get someone to thump a Bible and brag about how much offering they put in on Sunday. Sad really...

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
holy fucking shit at that one guy advocating forced sterilization in that thread
For some reason, I thought this would be more low key than it turned out being.

You're right.

Holy shit:

If you want to adopt a pet, you have to go through certain checks to make sure you are fit to take care of the animal. And yet, you can have as many kids as you want, at any age, and if we say anything about that, we're Nazis?

No. People who can unfit to parent have caused roughly 100% of our society's problems.

Oh, I'm a bad guy for not wanting criminals and teenage mothers to keep reproducing? Why is it such a violation of rights to sterilize people, but putting them in jail is fine?

Someone robs a bank, you put them in jail so they do not rob again.

Someone has 8 kids and is living on welfare, you sterilize them so they don't have 8 more kids who grow up to rob a bank.

We're not basing it on their genes. We're basing it on their actions. Just a guess here, but most violent criminals don't make great parents. That is not a fair assessment?

I am not saying we should sterilize everyone who has a kid when they're too young. However, I bet that would decrease crime by a large amount over time. If you've read Freakonomics, you know abortion is one of many very plausible causes of the decreasing rates of crime.

What I do truly think, is that violent criminals should be sterilized.

Now, obviously this is impractical because people freak out over eugenics because it is associated with Nazism and racism. But people need to grow up, calm down, and consider eugenics without resorting to hysterics.

Just because it has been done (mostly) incorrectly in the past, does not mean it is not potentially useful and YES- humane.

Those are good questions. I don't have the answers but, intuitively, something seems wrong about sterilizing people for not having enough money. I guess we would have to work out some sort of equation that figures out who to sterilize. I doubt poor people would make the list simply for being poor.

This is all hypothetical, so for right now, let's not worry about slippery slope arguments.

I guess 2011 was a different time?

You're right.

Holy shit:

These types of posters are everywhere, fam.

Like I said in one of the other threads, there's a reason I lost interest in posting or discussing most issues of race and gender or justice here or anywhere. Posters like that tend to just drain my life force. I literally get fatigued in real life to the point of reduced performance and discouragement. For the most part I don't post in or look at most of these sorts or threads (let alone start them) and even seeing the topic titles pop up on the page make me anxious. Is internet PTSD a thing? If I have that, it would be because of posters like that.

Clefargle

These injustices are too much to be forgotten, America needs to be forced to review each of these atrocities to cement it in their minds. Maybe such things can be prevented in the future, but millions of people have been crushed and families devastated by institutional racism and it can't be undone.

This is why if I had kids, they'd be the bane of all of their history teacher's existences.

Monstrous shit in the name of science. Monstrous shit in the name of religion. Monstrous shit in the name of politics.

Black people just have to deal with monstrous shit on the regular in the US.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I spent a considerable amount of time researching these atrocities when writing the script for my KS book. A lot of sleepless nights :|

Modern medicine owes so much to a black women but she barely gets any shine

from what I read in Medical Apartheid, a significant portion of modern medicine's understanding of women's genitals and reproductive systems came secondary to medical experimentation on unwilling slaves by way of unsterilized equipment and procedures done without any anesthesia, with lots and lots of cutting.

I'm gonna have to read this in segments. Spent about ten minutes so far reading through it, but this is a lot of heavy shit.

bYiAqQC.png

This is pretty much the seminal work on the subject. If you get really interested in this topic, pick this up at your local library. It reads heavy at times like a text book but that's because so much research went into its creation. It will change how you understood medicine, science, and history as you may have come to know it or believe it to be benevolent and conducted by good people most of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8WCS1Rs8K8 Video interview by the author if you want to know more about her or how she came to write the book.

Dai101

Banned
I'll add this here, since i couldn't add it to the OP for character limit.

NC Forced Sterilization Victims Voice Grief, Pain

There is nothing the state of North Carolina can do, Elaine Riddick says, to make up for forcing her to be sterilized when she was 14 years old.

"They cut me open like I was a hog," the woman who now lives in Atlanta said at a Wednesday hearing in Raleigh held by a panel working to determine compensation for thousands of victims of the state's defunct eugenics program."My heart bleeds every single day. I'm crushed. What can they do for me?"

Riddick, 57, was one of 13 people who spoke at the meeting, and one of nearly 3,000 living victims of the program, which was shuttered in 1977, three years after the last sterilization was performed. The public hearing is part of a process unprecedented not just in North Carolina, but nationally. About a half dozen other states have joined North Carolina in apologizing for past eugenics programs, but none of the others have put together a plan to compensate victims of involuntary sterilization.

"It's hard for me to accept or understand or even try to figure out why these kinds of atrocious acts could be carried out in this country," said Gov. Beverly Perdue, who appointed the Eugenics Task Force that convened Wednesday's hearing.

Any plan that involves financial compensation will be a hard sell, though, in a year when the state budget includes deep cuts to numerous programs. The General Assembly passed the $19.7 billion spending plan over Perdue's veto. Bills in the legislature aimed at providing specific financial and medical compensation for victims have stalled.

"We've made some baby steps, but as we get closer to the big one, there's some pushback," said state Rep. Larry Womble, D-Forsyth, the lawmaker who's been most active on the issue.

Womble initially sought payments of $50,000 for each victim, but said the state Industrial Commission, which pays claims from lawsuits and other matters, suggested $20,000 as a more realistic figure. The task force hasn't yet settled on an amount or type of compensation to recommend. It's scheduled to send a draft report to Perdue by Aug. 1.

The possibility that the state would only offer symbolic or low-stakes compensation rankled some victims and their family members.

"It's still being said to my mother 47 years later," said Deborah Chesson, whose mother was sterilized in the 1960s after giving birth, and who was too ill to travel to the hearing. "You are still saying that she means nothing."

Some victims expressed a raw anger that hasn't lessened over the decades, while others voiced regret that a procedure done to them as adolescents shaped the rest of their lives.

"That's the only thing I hated about being operated on, `cause I couldn't have kids," said Willis Lynch, 77, who was sterilized at 14. "It's always been in the back of my mind."

Lela Dunston was sterilized after giving birth to a son at 13. She wanted to have daughters one day, and mourns her inability to have children with her husband.

"They did away with me," she said. "I can't have no babies."

About 7,600 people were sterilized under North Carolina's eugenics program. Roughly 85 percent of the victims were women or girls. Unlike most states, North Carolina ramped up its sterilizations after World War II, despite associations between eugenics and Nazi Germany, which took eugenics to even more horrifying lengths. Around 70 percent of all North Carolina's sterilizations were performed after the war, peaking in the 1950s, according to state records.

In 2002, then-Gov. Mike Easley formally apologized for the program.

Nationwide, there were more than 60,000 known victims of sterilization programs, with perhaps another 40,000 sterilized through "unofficial" channels like hospitals or local health departments working on their own initiative. Eugenics was aimed at creating a better society by filtering out people considered undesirable, ranging from criminals to those imprecisely designated as "feeble-minded."

People as young as 10 in North Carolina were sterilized for not getting along with schoolmates, being promiscuous or running afoul of local social workers or doctors. The state's law, which allowed such professionals to refer people to the state Eugenics Board for sterilization, was more open-ended than similar statutes in other states, where people had to be jailed or institutionalized before they could be sterilized.

"Where did all this come from? This came from doctors, medical practitioners, professors, not guys in pickup trucks wearing white sheets," said Edwin Black, author of the eugenics history "War Against the Weak."

Black said financial compensation alone won't address the scope of the wrongdoing. He said states where sterilization took place should also make additions to school curricula and erect public monuments to acknowledge what happened.

"You can't just write a check, you have to right the wrong," he said.

Victims who spoke at the hearing said they were glad the process that began with Easley's apology has enabled them to learn they weren't alone.

"I thank God I'm still alive so I could get up here and tell this story," Dunston said. "They did this to me."

iXXjU.jpg

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=137349432

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/06...0/eugenics-task-force-062211.html&gid_index=1

GAF, I'm going to be honest: I don't cry very often, but this shit brought tears to my eyes during my commute this evening on NPR. I couldn't help it as teary testimonies flooded my car speakers.

First of all, I had no fucking idea at all that ANY state in this great nation EVER participated in eugenics. Targeting the poor and "undesirables"? You know that means women and minorities for the most part. Rage-inducing.

Secondly, how did any American really think this was a good idea? Ever? I know on GAF we sometimes joke about such things when we hear stories of horrific parenting, but the fact that SEVERAL states in our nation thought this was alright is...I'm sorry, but I'm fucking shocked, GAF.

Random facts I don't see in this article but were mentioned on-air:

1.) Social workers often pushed (and by pushed, I do mean "forced") many of these women into getting sterilized by telling them it was the only way to get public assistance.

2.) Many were forced into it without their consent when they were on an operating table. One woman who was raped was sterilized during the C-Section birth of the child, her only son.

3.) In some documented cases, all that was needed was a rumor of you behaving badly and boom! you got sterilized.

As late as the fucking 70s, people were still getting sterilized?

Help me understand any part of this, GAF. And help me understand why $50,000 represents reasonable compensation for someone being robbed of their reproductive ability.

Also, I'll post the audio from the hearing if I can find it. I'm just beside myself right now.

Also,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFqxeeMGIRk

^ the book referenced in the article.

http://extras.journalnow.com/againsttheirwill/

^ the definitive source for details, charts and stories. thanks to Rusty Nails.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434915

Thanks Dreams. Hope you don't mind posting it here

Also thanks to all for your contributions and words to me.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Whenever I hear some jingoistic asshole state unequivocally that America is the greatest country on Earth with unparalleled freedom, dedication to human rights, and social advancement, I think of all of this garbage. Just makes my heart incredibly heavy to know that I have kids that, in another age, could have gone through shit like this, much less kids from black families.

We have wronged so many, I just wish there was a way that the country as a whole could make it right.

Without a doubt, if I ever lucked my way into wealth, I would devote my time and energy fighting for the cause of the poor, afflicted, and down-trodden. :(

Damn, this is not an easy read. And I can't believe that these aren't brought up in education systems here (at least to my knowledge).

You're right.

Holy shit:

Yeah. What a sick and twisted mindset. IN the very topic bringing up why it was such a fucked up, abused and misguided practice, they sat there and said "Well maybe, well maybe" over and over again. Very kind of mindset that would allow this messed up type of experimentation today. Hell, black and poor people are being poisoned today without their perpetrators paying for it.

I said it before but I can't really suffer any wishy-washy complaints about BLM blocking a road or any "black people are never satisfied" racist bullshit any more after these BHM topics, particularly this one. Until this shit is as common knowledge to people as the nebulous concept of "slavery" which people barely fathom how cruel and usual was already, they don't really get to complain about "black on black crime" or race cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom