• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An Irrational Fear of a Black Invasion: China

Derwind

Fear of an African invasion eh? *looks over at the growing presence of China(among other foreign powers) in Africa*

Weird how that irrational fear only works in one direction for the rest of the world.

Amazing how universal "Blacks going to rape your women" is.

The universal dog whistle, no matter where you go, being black is stigmatized.

Jesus Christ China.

Do you not understand the opportunity that you have?

OMG the beautiful blasians that y'all could have....

THE BLASIANS...

I can't even....

Africa don't want Blasians either : (. https://qz.com/857156/uganda-is-worried-about-the-number-of-chinese-men-marrying-their-women/

Still happening though.
https://www.theatlantic.com/interna...locals-face-puzzled-reception-at-home/240662/
http://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-...marriages-boom-guangzhou-will-it-be-til-death

That's why I wish they get the fuck out Africa. Then again they got to please their white daddy. I wish the cowardly black NBA players never go there again then again they will.

What the fuck is this guy talking about?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Jesus Christ China.

Do you not understand the opportunity that you have?

OMG the beautiful blasians that y'all could have....

THE BLASIANS...

I can't even....
For real. Just like that fiiine Brazilian/Japanese model The world needs this, China.

D i Z

I take offense to this, because you reduce the agency of Chinese immigrants as if they aren't individual actors but rather a part of "tens of thousands" sent en masse by a monolithic entity. Not all Chinese people act the same or have evil intentions.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/03/africa/what-africans-really-think-of-china/index.html

You might be surprised what Africans actually think of the Chinese in Africa. It's mostly positive.

Chinese immigrants to Africa also face a lot of similar challenges as Africans in China. Difficulty communicating due to language, cultural differences, stereotypes, barriers when it comes to business, etc. It's the struggle that all first generation immigrants have to go through. As a second generation Chinese American, I sympathize with both the Chinese in Africa and the Africans in China who have to face these challenges.

The China Africa relationship is far from just a neocolonial exploitative relationship. Much of the Chinese presence in Africa isn't from the Chinese state, but are individual entrepreneurs. The China-Africa relationship varies from country to country, where sometimes in seems to focus much on mineral or resource extraction (Zambia, Angola), but othertimes China is involved in development or industrialization of resource poor areas (Ethiopia, Rwanda). I highly recommend everyone do more research into the topic instead of adopting mainstream media shock headlines of "Chinese colonization". China is definitely not doing what white people did in Africa, namely enslavement, colonization and exploitation.

http://www.mckinsey.com/global-them...-yet-at-chinese-economic-engagement-in-africa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9QzwKjMNsc

I am specifically talking about the mineral extraction and paying Africans to rip up their own homes with minuscule pay. It's colonization through contract and not allowing others to bid on resources or the people to be paid for their labor or said resources. This isn't just Africa either. The Caribbean is getting the same sweeping treatment.

They don't have the fucking balls to do enslavement. You make it seem China in Africa out of goodwill fuck no. They just want to make it like in the states so all Africans can depend on them. Just look at the economy of Jamaica because of the Chinese. They want to exploit them at the end of the day.

Are you blaming the state of Jamaica's economy on the presence of a small successful minority group? Sounds familiar...maybe like anti-Semitism in Europe. Ignorant scapegoaters will continue to scapegoat, I guess.

Of course China isn't in Africa out of "goodwill". It's called doing business and looking for opportunities. African economies have also grown and prospered in recent years largely because of Chinese driven commodity demand and China's infrastructure development in the continent. Yes, Africa will depend in part on the Chinese economy, but China will also depend on Africa...because that's called trade? Or would you rather the Chinese leave, and African states have no other choice but to depend on the sole Western model of developmental "aid" that got the continent nowhere since colonialization?

Why am I not surprised by this? Maybe it's because I lived in Japan as a kid and experienced racism for the first time there. I know China and Japan countries are different but they still share a lot of similarities with their extremely homogenous cultures. I was one of the very few black kids in my international school in Yokohama and the racism was quite blatant.

I haven't even experienced a fraction of it here in the US. In fact, come to think of it, I've never experienced blatant racism here in the US. The only times I've experienced blatant open racism was when I lived in Japan. It's a beautiful country with an amazing culture but racism is a serious problem. I'm sure China has very similar issues.

The Chinese are absolutely 2nd class citizens in Japan, along with Africans and other immigrants. Only white people and Korean people are given a pass. Police usually won't even investigate crime unless you are Japanese, Korean, or White. Won't even be reported in the press. Even if its murder or rape. Read the memoirs Tokyo Vice, for more insight.

Korean residents aren't given a pass in Japan:
http://www.newsweek.com/one-three-foreigners-experience-racism-japan-577076
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/asiatoday/is-there-a-solution-for-j_b_12897450.html

I am specifically talking about the mineral extraction and paying Africans to rip up their own homes with minuscule pay. It's colonization through contract and not allowing others to bid on resources or the people to be paid for their labor or said resources. This isn't just Africa either. The Caribbean is getting the same sweeping treatment.

Please provide links? And yes, I do agree that the Chinese involvement in mining is tragic, especially for farmers (many who don't own the land they farm on due to tribal laws where it belongs to the Chief or alternately it belonging to the state). I actually have done research in medical school on the health effects of galamsey in Ghana, and it definitely is terrible. However, it is also important to note that Western owned multinational mining companies have been a presence in Africa for a much longer time, and in a much larger scale, but the focus has been on the Chinese because of newness of their presence.

I wouldn't say that the Chinese don't allow others to bid on African resources. African countries choose Chinese companies because they undercut the competition in terms of prices...the Chinese government state is often subsidizing Chinese construction companies.

Bro, please, just stop.

No? Because it's not wrong to want to provide links and articles showing the complete picture, instead of allowing NeoGAF to continue it's xenophobic/ignorant behavior of dogpiling on China about how evil it is? Or every Asian racism thread about how racist Asians are?

Imperial on that "they do it too" trip..lol.

I know, whatboutism, right? Or maybe...what I'm just trying to say is that when you have two very different groups of people interacting for the first time, like Chinese and Africans, you're going to have misunderstandings from both sides? And that, maybe, the China-Africa connection isn't just reproducing a colonizer-colonized relationship, but could instead be something new and unique that could benefit both parties?

Well it makes sense for Africans to be able to tell who is from Africa and not. But for a third party (the Chinese) who don't have much interaction with either. I doubt it, especially with the language barrier.

Africans can tell the difference between many different ethnic African groups (I know I can for some), but I have mistaken my African American friends for being African in the past. So I tend to stay away from labeling people as African or African American before I know them.

It's crazy in African they think I'm African American in America they think I'm African because of my name. It's all about perception.

Scared of African people stealing from them.
But currently building a high speed railway through South-East Asia and India then into Africa so they can exploit the cheap labour and their natural resources even faster than they already are.

Oh China.

RinsFury

Just catch a fucking break anywhere on this earth. Funny how China has no problem taking over Africa, but the moment a few black people start showing up in one of their cities people start acting like it's a zombie outbreak. Just another place to add to the do not travel to list, huh.

Cranster

Banned
Sadly I am not surprised. China as a country can be very openly racist. This chinese Laundry detergent commercial proves it.

chinese-detergent-commericail-racist-machine

1wDXZP.gif

Just catch a fucking break anywhere on this earth. Funny how China has no problem taking over Africa, but the moment a few black people start showing up in one of their cities people start acting like it's a zombie outbreak. Just another place to add to the do not travel to list, huh.

It's truly tiring.

People fear what they don't know. Before I traveled to Africa for the first time, I was pretty damn scared because all I knew about Africa was starvation and poverty in the media. I had heard about violence and crime against Chinese businesses, so I was worried about how I would be treated over there. When I actually went to Ghana, I fell in love with the country because of how friendly the people were, how amazing the food was (best tilapia around!) and how vibrant the culture was (Azonto dance music, anyone?).

Honestly, the only way to keep breaking down these barriers is to, well, break them. Don't let the presence of a dumb Guangdong politician playing up fears and internet trolls in China dissuade you from visiting. You'll find most of the people there are friendly, and if you're friendly back, they'll have a good impression of black people. You might be the first black person they ever meet!

erragal

The problem in Africa isn't the intent of the Chinese. Their goals are transactional and profit oriented first, sphere of influence second. It's not racially motivated colonization.

The ultimate issue is the insanely corrupt ' governments' of the nations are not acting with some grand nation building plan. They're virtually all dictators that have exceeded term limits or taken power through military coups and only keep power through maintaining the loyalty of their ' generals'.

Now we can certainly criticize the Chinese investments by saying "well if they know these people are being exploited, they shouldn't be doing business" but you'd be expecting a level of ethical concern far beyond virtually any international business operator. It's easy enough to say I personally wouldn't do it though!

The 'west' certainly isn't coming to help them in good faith. It's a pretty shit position to be in, especially in a world shifting so rapidly as is.

People fear what they don't know. Before I traveled to Africa for the first time, I was pretty damn scared because all I knew about Africa was starvation and poverty in the media.

All these posts about the media, hip hop or NBA.

I think that's the problem.

How about we just treat people as individuals instead of stereotyping them into groups? Black people are rappers, basketball stars, and also scientists and writers. If people just stop that type of stereotypical thinking, they will see how similar we all really are.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I take offense to this, because you reduce the agency of Chinese immigrants as if they aren't individual actors but rather a part of "tens of thousands" sent en masse by a monolithic entity. Not all Chinese people act the same or have evil intentions.

Don't take offense, no harm was meant. By "they" I meant the politician and those that agreed with him. Should have clarified that.

As someone who lives in an area that recently had a spike in African migration, the description of immigrants in the OP sounds waaay off.

As someone who lives in an area that recently had a spike in African migration, the description of immigrants in the OP sounds waaay off.

I think Western media likes to play up only the negative experiences of Africans living in China, not the positive parts. The face that there are growing pains with a large community of 150,000 (!!) African migrants in Guangzhou is to be expected. For the most part, it's seems like a really positive story. Take a look at this video, for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBMaEWsn54w&t=351s

The fearmongering politician is a piece of shit, as well as all the racist Chinese netizens. It's not a surprise that with a country as big as China, they have their own "alt-right" as well. Most people have no qualms with the immigrants, for the most part.

All these posts about the media, hip hop or NBA.

I think that's the problem.

How about we just treat people as individuals instead of stereotyping them into groups? Black people are rappers, basketball stars, and also scientists and writers. If people just stop that type of stereotypical thinking, they will see how similar we all really are.

Stereotyping is human nature, unfortunately. It's part of our tribal DNA, because outsiders could mean different diseases or danger in ancient times. Only education and really living in a more multicultural society can scrub that out.

In some ways, what I loved about Ghana was that I found so many similarities in its culture to East Asian culture, it almost felt like traveling to Asia in some ways. The hustling nature of the street vendors. The way that people respected their elders, and gave them honorary titles. The communal nature of the villages. Even the language was tonal, which is something I didn't think existed outside of East Asia. It really heartened me to see that all human societies have so many similarities.

Top Bottom